User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:08:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Does the military use AR-15 bolt carriers, large pin holes, high shelf uppers, 16” barrels, and semi auto only FC parts?

I would think a 16” carbine with a mid length gas system and an M-16 BCG would be so much more of a pleasure to shoot than a 16” carbine with an AR-15 BCG... but muh TDP

Colt fanbois
View Quote
hurts just knowing someone who thinks like this is out there......
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

PSA premium sport Cold Hammer Forged Chrome Lined FN barrels.

You must be confusing the old Ptac with their Premium line...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSA premium is a budget option, meant for the everyday man that will buy a cheap vortex and shoot it maybe 3-5 times a year.

barrel is awesome but the rest is psa so expect it to fail...lol

best barrel in the world doesn't mean squat if the rest of rifle is substandard.

that said, I do believe the premium line does have a higher percent of quality parts however, the lpk, trigger is still meh
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hey buddy don’t forget about your “half moon” bolt carrier!  That sure was TDP, wasn’t it?
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey buddy don’t forget about your “half moon” bolt carrier!  That sure was TDP, wasn’t it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wtf are you talking about?  half moon what??????????????????
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#5]
So much truth but also so much garbage in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

best barrel in the world doesn't mean squat if the rest of rifle is substandard.

that said, I do believe the premium line does have a higher percent of quality parts however, the lpk, trigger is still meh
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSA premium is a budget option, meant for the everyday man that will buy a cheap vortex and shoot it maybe 3-5 times a year.

That basically goes to the crux of my question, how is it substandard then?  What is it that makes that way?  If you have a cold hammer forged, double-chromed lined barrel, and a Toolcraft or whatever BCG, then how is that going to fail any faster than DD or BCM?

From some of the posts, I think that question has been answered in that you pay more for a finish and rails.  You can get a 16" CHF MIDLENGTH 5.56 NATO 1:7 UPPER WITHOUT BCG OR CHARGING HANDLE for $350 from PSA.  Add to a lower with an ALG trigger or MBT and a Toolcraft BCG, and other than a rail and maybe finish, there doesn't seem to be a real difference.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 12:42:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
The PSA I built in 2011 is still rocking after untold thousands of rounds. I do not care a lot for their freedom line, but I do have a freedom upper that I use as a test bed for various new stuff I want to try out. And the last 3 LPKs I got from PSA (a couple years ago) were the exact same hammer and trigger that Colt, ALG, Spikes and BCM is using.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 1:03:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
With PSA, isn't that basically an FN gun with the premium set up?  Is QC the same for all of these?
View Quote
Absolutely not the same.

Quality assurance programs and quality control measures vary greatly between companies.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 1:24:21 AM EDT
[#9]
OP,
I just finished the entire thread. You seem to be fishing for an answer that you’re not getting.

Do you want a rifle built by a company that competes on price and has been in business for 5 years or one that has been building service rifles for the military for 50 years?

Do you care if your parts are batch tested for a self defined QA/QC or every part tested?

Do you care if the company has a proven record of shipping rifles with improperly torqued barrel nuts, out of spec rails and parts of questionable origin?

Are you the kind of person that buys insurance based solely on the price of the premium or do you actually read the policy and riders to see if you’re getting something for the more expensive option?

The last statement is the real difference between BCM, Colt, DD, and LMT.  All four of these companies make mistakes and ship turds.  However, your odds of getting a turd decrease and your chances of having rifle that will run longer before requiring an overhaul increase.

Bushmaster, CMMG, Stag, S&W, DPMS, Armalite, RRA, PSA, ad nauseum make products for the typical price sensitive consumer market.  The other companies I listed make products for the performance oriented market.

Mustang V6 ...  PSA
Mustang GT ... BCM, Colt, DD, LMT
Mustang GT500 ... KAC

All three are Mustangs.  You have decide how you want it to perform, and how much you’re willing to spend for the performance.

I fall in the middle.... Mustang GT.  (And yes, I’ve owned many MANY units from every company listed and many more).
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 1:32:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Absolutely not the same.

Quality assurance programs and quality control measures vary greatly between companies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
With PSA, isn't that basically an FN gun with the premium set up?  Is QC the same for all of these?
Absolutely not the same.

Yeah, definitely not the same.  Peopke think the barrels are the same; they are and they are not.  Spikes are fn, psa, others as well but the cut etc are not the same.  Each brand can andvoften does get a different barrel package.  A fn noveske is not the same as a fn psa.....
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 1:59:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, definitely not the same.  Peopke think the barrels are the same; they are and they are not.  Spikes are fn, psa, others as well but the cut etc are not the same.  Each brand can andvoften does get a different barrel package.  A fn noveske is not the same as a fn psa.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Absolutely not the same.

So, FN makes a different quality barrel for Noveske then it does for PSA?  From the description it doesn't sound that way.

No fishing for an answer, just wanting to know if and what the difference actually is.  It doesn't really seem like there is a lot from what most have said.

FYI, I have a Colt 6920 and 6940, Larue Stealth upper with a Geissele SSE, two PSA pistols with the 4150 CMV nitrided barrels and premium BCG, and an Androcorp SBR build with a BA barrel and SLR rail.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 3:11:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Triarc has all of their parts made by someone else, all they do is assemble
View Quote
I love BCM and always have, but aren't all their parts made by someone else and they just assemble as well?  I wouldn't necessarily say this is a bad thing for Triarc or BCM.  I would guess their QC is where they shine.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So, FN makes a different quality barrel for Noveske then it does for PSA?  From the description it doesn't sound that way.

No fishing for an answer, just wanting to know if and what the difference actually is.  It doesn't really seem like there is a lot from what most have said.

FYI, I have a Colt 6920 and 6940, Larue Stealth upper with a Geissele SSE, two PSA pistols with the 4150 CMV nitrided barrels and premium BCG, and an Androcorp SBR build with a BA barrel and SLR rail.
View Quote
Exactly. All kinds of accusations flying around in here with no proof. I'm happy to see you continue to question the specifics, without simply accepting the usual answers of "they are just better".

There absolutely has been some improperly assembled junk out there, but using psa as an example, I haven't read a complaint lately of improper staking, torquing, or the usual crap you often hear of with a junk rifle.

So, the fn barrels are different for different companies? I'd like some proof of that.
What about the psa premium bcg? Why is it so inferior?
All valid questions with no good answers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#14]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/High-round-count-pistols-100-000-observations/4-160140/?page=1

Why don't you guys ask someone that runs a range that puts retarded amounts of rounds through guns a year. The guy in the link above does. If certain brands fail more than others, he might be one to know. It is posted in the handgun forum, but he mentions AKs...... I haven't been through the whole thread, but it is safe to assume he is running ARs and probably FA.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Exactly. All kinds of accusations flying around in here with no proof. I'm happy to see you continue to question the specifics, without simply accepting the usual answers of "they are just better".

There absolutely has been some improperly assembled junk out there, but using psa as an example, I haven't read a complaint lately of improper staking, torquing, or the usual crap you often hear of with a junk rifle.

So, the fn barrels are different for different companies? I'd like some proof of that.
View Quote
Because the ones answering it with “PSA is hot garbage” have it in their head that they’re shit rifles.

They’re not. The forged lowers/uppers are the same make as all the other manufacturers out there. Trigger groups are milspec, as are the BCGs, and the same with most every other part.

The difference lies in QC and name. PSA guns run cheaper because their standards for a good product are lower than, say, BCM’s. Of course, you run into issues occasionally with some components that are installed incorrectly, but PSA isn’t going to fuck you and say “tough shit” about your loose barrel nut. Shit happens, though.

But to say PSA guns are junk is just being snobby.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think you are right.  FN makes a 249 spec barrel. An example;  Spikes or Ranier orders that 249 spec barrel and either orders their own profile or they themselves reprofile and finish the barrel.  Colt probably makes their own.  This scenario makes the most manufacturing and branding sense to me.  But I have no proof other than Spikes and Ranier both claim FN 249 spec on some of their barrels as well as some other sellers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Do any of you guys posting opinions work in metals manufacturing or know how the military procurement and inspection process works?
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
You seem to be missing the point about QC / QA.  Not all companies care about QC / QA.  In fact, there use to be several threads on here speculating PSA was buying parts the other companies rejected.  For example, someone in this thread said their PSA lower has a S/S marked hammer ... same as Colt.  Yes I've owned PSA lowers with the same, but those hammers had pin holes so small I had to hammer in the pin.  Colt S/S hammers .. the pin slides right in.

ALL manufacturers have parts that have problems.  What do they do with them?  They can trash them.  They can sell them to a company that just wants cheap parts because they compete on PRICE not PERFORMANCE.

LMT shipped several thousand MARS rifles to New Zealand.  There were reports of the firing pins breaking.  This generated questions about LMT's firing pin QC/QA program.  Colt states they cut / dissect / microscope inspect EVERY LOT of firing pins they receive.  Do you think PSA even owns a microscope or testing facility?
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#20]
After reading the comments in this thread, it seems that many are geared towards a pissing match and brand bashing based on personal opinion, speculation, and very little facts. To the OP, a few words of advice, "be careful what you ask for because you may not get any honest and truthful answers". There are too many "experts".
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#21]
This thread reeks of stupid.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Having written govt contracts, the only thing the tdp does is specify a certain spec for govt contract guns.

Probably "acceptable" and all that....but hardly "the best" when you get right down to it.  The AR isn't exactly "hard" to get to be reliable.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You seem to be missing the point about QC / QA.  Not all companies care about QC / QA.  In fact, there use to be several threads on here speculating PSA was buying parts the other companies rejected.  For example, someone in this thread said their PSA lower has a S/S marked hammer ... same as Colt.  Yes I've owned PSA lowers with the same, but those hammers had pin holes so small I had to hammer in the pin.  Colt S/S hammers .. the pin slides right in.

Do you think PSA even owns a microscope or testing facility?
View Quote
Actually the hammer pin should be tapped in, there is a capture spring inside that the pin has to go under. And if you pins slide right in then they are undersized or just maybe the Colt is oversized (yes they did that too).

If you have proof that PSA or other non-Colt company is buying reject parts, offer up some proof or otherwise you are merely offering conjecture. I can tell you with 100% fact that I measure ever single part I buy with precision measuring tools and I know what the specs are for such, and I have yet to find any parts that were under/over spec from any current company.

Don't get me started on Colt's attitude towards citizen shooters. When America started to fall in love with the AR, Colt decided selling $500 M16s to the government was more important than selling $1000 civilian legal rifles to the public. So we went elsewhere. Their loss, and I'll continue to build better than they make for less than they charge.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Colt hasnt used AR-15 bolt carriers, large pin holes, high shelf uppers or half moon BCGs for years now. My 6920 has an FA M16 BCG in it, normal upper, standard pin holes and all of that. So stop.

I see a lot of speculation in this thread and not a lot of facts. There is a question to be answered here but its getting lost this one this is better than that and the whole TDP thing. None of that was the OPs question.

Just because a gun is not built on the TDP doesn't automatically make it shit. BCM, DD,  KAC cant use the TDP but all sell guns of a higher quality than a Colt...but they also cost a hell of a lot more than a colt in a lot of cases too.

I've been asking myself the same question. Not is one better than the other, I know that answer already but what am I giving up when I buy say a 400 dollar pistol kit from PSA as opposed to something from BCM or similar where the upper alone will cost me more than it would to build an entire gun with the PSA kit.

I see things like 4150 barrel steel....thats good..but its not chrome lined...they get phosphate or nitride...ok...is it going to matter? Maybe it will eventually if you are trying to shoot 1 inch groups with the gun.
7075 steel for the receiver....pretty sure that's what everyone that makes high quality receivers use.
bolt....C158 grade 8 fasteners and staked....ok thats a toolcraft BCG,  is is a Colt? No....will it work just fine yeah.  
What's the trigger or LPG...well who knows.....most people are going to change out the trigger anyway so does it really matter....the other parts are relatively cheap so swap then out if they ever break on you.

So what's the actual difference? Does anyone actually know or is everyone just going to keep speculating about what they think they know?

Again I know what is better that's not the concern...what do you give up going cheap and is it worth it to you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I love BCM and always have, but aren't all their parts made by someone else and they just assemble as well?  I wouldn't necessarily say this is a bad thing for Triarc or BCM.  I would guess their QC is where they shine.
View Quote
I have no idea how BCM operates, I was just saying what I know about Triarc.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Aside from TDP as already noted,

Quality control procedures will differ.   One place might inspect every part of a certain type, others may batch inspect, others may inspect nothing and only reject them if the assembler has a problem installing it.   You may see different levels of consistency on machining things like magwell dimensions (easy to check before you buy) or barrel thread concentricity (damn near impossible for a typical buyer to check).

Materials may differ.  Sometimes it's an obvious shortcut like using a lesser alloy for buffer tubes, other times it's arguably a lateral change like using 9130 instead of C158 for bolts.

Quality of small parts is a common difference.   If you look at a bunch of different LPK's some differences in quality are obvious, some aren't.   Not all tiny pins and springs are equal; some will have the wrong tension or corrode quickly.

Skill in assembly may differ.   Some makers will have more skilled workers putting them together, or will use the right or wrong tools/methods/materials.   Examples; companies that used to red-loctite their buffer tubes into the receiver, absurdly high or low torque on the barrel nut, etc.

Some manufacturers have different cosmetic standards.   Colt will put out functional but ugly stuff, while another maker cheaping out on small parts may only ship nice looking rifles.    If you want both done right consistently you'll generally have to pay for it.

The things you used to run into back in the late 90's and early 2000's when bad AR's were really bad was stuff like out of spec tight chambers, barrels marked 5.56 that were really .223, unlined non-SS barrels (which for cost-cutting is almost never seen anymore, QPQ is fairly cheap), out of spec magwells, out of spec buffer tube/receiver threads, crappy cast receivers, and those retarded commercial spec buffer tubes.   None of that is common anymore.  Now it's mostly cutting corners on quality control and small parts.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The PSA I built in 2011 is still rocking after untold thousands of rounds. I do not care a lot for their freedom line, but I do have a freedom upper that I use as a test bed for various new stuff I want to try out. And the last 3 LPKs I got from PSA (a couple years ago) were the exact same hammer and trigger that Colt, ALG, Spikes and BCM is using.
View Quote
And...

The PSA springs are shit. Compare for yourself with known 'good' quality samples.

Different vendors do the coatings on those trigger parts as well. They are not 'exactly' the same.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 11:08:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
The answers to those questions are already out there but like most kids nowadays you want the stuff spoon fed to you instead of taking the time to get off your butt and go search for the info yourself.

Right after someone spoon feeds your butt the info within another week another kid WILL come along saying the same stuff and asking the same questions about his PSA garbage as you are now.

It never freakin ends...
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 12:32:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Colt hasnt used AR-15 bolt carriers, large pin holes, high shelf uppers or half moon BCGs for years now. My 6920 has an FA M16 BCG in it, normal upper, standard pin holes and all of that. So stop.

I see a lot of speculation in this thread and not a lot of facts. There is a question to be answered here but its getting lost this one this is better than that and the whole TDP thing. None of that was the OPs question.

Just because a gun is not built on the TDP doesn't automatically make it shit. BCM, DD,  KAC cant use the TDP but all sell guns of a higher quality than a Colt...but they also cost a hell of a lot more than a colt in a lot of cases too.

I've been asking myself the same question. Not is one better than the other, I know that answer already but what am I giving up when I buy say a 400 dollar pistol kit from PSA as opposed to something from BCM or similar where the upper alone will cost me more than it would to build an entire gun with the PSA kit.

I see things like 4150 barrel steel....thats good..but its not chrome lined...they get phosphate or nitride...ok...is it going to matter? Maybe it will eventually if you are trying to shoot 1 inch groups with the gun.
7075 steel for the receiver....pretty sure that's what everyone that makes high quality receivers use.
bolt....C158 grade 8 fasteners and staked....ok thats a toolcraft BCG,  is is a Colt? No....will it work just fine yeah.  
What's the trigger or LPG...well who knows.....most people are going to change out the trigger anyway so does it really matter....the other parts are relatively cheap so swap then out if they ever break on you.

So what's the actual difference? Does anyone actually know or is everyone just going to keep speculating about what they think they know?

Again I know what is better that's not the concern...what do you give up going cheap and is it worth it to you.
View Quote
Bcm (a company that bills itself as colt like) dd are higher quality than colt????  On what planet???
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 12:34:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The answers to those questions are already out there but like most kids nowadays you want the stuff spoon fed to you instead of taking the time to get off your butt and go search for the info yourself.

Right after someone spoon feeds your butt the info within another week another kid WILL come along saying the same stuff and asking the same questions about his PSA garbage as you are now.

It never freakin ends...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It never freakin ends...
Very true....amazing how so many fall for marketing and internet gossip.  Spot on with needing to be spoon fed too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 12:57:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Since we have all these experts here together in one place, imagine the perfect AR15 we could create with all this expert knowledge from all these experts.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 1:01:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Bcm (a company that bills itself as colt like) dd are higher quality than colt????  On what planet???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This planet. There have been a few threads where people find parts in there new Colts with no C markings and with the G&A with chris bartocci of small arms solutions stating that they are out sourcing a lot of parts show Colt isn’t what it used to be.

DD barrels and rails are definitely higher quality than Colts. Not “quality” related but fit and finish are way better with DD as well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 1:01:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Since we have all these experts here together in one place, imagine the perfect AR15 we could create with all this expert knowledge from all these experts.
View Quote
Any milspec receiver and BCG setup, quality barrel, and Geisseled the fuck out.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 1:05:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Very true....amazing how so many fall for marketing and internet gossip.  Spot on with needing to be spoon fed too.
View Quote
There is zero PROOF on either side of the argument. At the end of the day, that's all it is: gossip and people trying to appear smarter than the next man. It's all garbage.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:09:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well I'm not Geisseled the fwach out but yeah...Milspec is milspec...
Military specifications..
Military said do it this way made with this measured like this...
Then it's ok.(milspec)
Also people just buy what they think looks cool. I dig the clone game but I'm not spending $300 on a hand guard.
I'd rather spend more money on ammo..ya know..
To actually shoot the gun, since thats what it's intended purpose..
OP
u sound like u have plenty "good quality manufacturers" guns in your safe/ wherever.
From a manufacturing standpoint I'll tell u shit gets through the cracks...
Meh...that'll buff out...
Ship it out.
It's made with the same metal as the other product that we make for so and so...oh this customer wants and specifies this...ok..whatever we will do that..(to a point)
Your paying for a name and a roll mark and the employees and the marketing...
Ever picked up a Recoil magazine or other gun magazine or WTF ever?
See the big nice BCM advertisement in it?? ...that costs lots of money..
Douche nozzle buys magazine...sees ad with girls nice ass and BCM logo and says yep..bad ass...me need to get BCM gun..
Goes to store..buys BCM...2 magazines...4 boxes of ammo...shoots ammo...puts gun in safe.
Waits til he thinks he needs another gun or gun magazine that has its advertisers cool new product advertised with some chicks ass next to it.
I kinda think of it like rich guys with lambos or Ferraris that get smoked and schooled by someone that's not rich with a sleeper...
It's faster..it works...just not as refined...
One guy uses his shit  and doesn't mind scratches etc...while rich guy flips a lid if a kid gets within 5 ft of his pretty ferrari.
Someone mentioned the Henderson Gun Range thread i believe...
I also believe they said in that thread they've had good use and life out of PSA bolt carrier groups..
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#36]
I remember 15 years ago when the difference was huge in quality and reliability. AKs where a dime a dozen, worked, and cheap as hell to shoot. Now that the prices flip flopped and machining has gotten better and way more options it's hard to go wrong picking either one.

Quality barrel, BCG, and trigger is all the average Joe needs IMO. You do get into things like rails, tighter fits, finishes, flarred mag wells, and different gas/barrel options to choose from along with QC steps but now a days most will work just fine for most people.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
We do it all the time.  Mine is a "Frankengun", sporting a Lilja .223 Wylde match chamber Recce barrel,  DD modular rail, and a Geissele SSA-E trigger, among other things that you will not find on any complete AR.

Maybe not "perfect", and certainly not an expert, but it fits my needs for uber accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There is zero PROOF on either side of the argument. At the end of the day, that's all it is: gossip and people trying to appear smarter than the next man. It's all garbage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well you're wrong.  Research and come back to discuss with the adults
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Well you're wrong.  Research and come back to discuss with the adults
View Quote
Like I said, garbage.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#40]
The experts are here, the rest of us can leave.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Listen to this guy, he sounds like an expert.
View Quote
Reading comprehension.

Your sarcastic response is my exact point -- some speak as if they have facts, yet there is ZERO verifiable proof to back up their claims.

In the end, they are just spewing regurgitated noise not with the intention to educate, but to sound smarter than the next.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Reading comprehension.

Your sarcastic response is my exact point -- some speak as if they have facts, yet there is ZERO verifiable proof to back up their claims.

In the end, they are just spewing regurgitated noise not with the intention to educate, but to sound smarter than the next.
View Quote
Hey, you're the expert. Who am I to argue with an expert.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Just curious, if a PSA Premium rifle shoots thousands upon thousands of rounds and doesn't fail, is it still a garbage, low-tier brand?
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If you are getting an FN barrel as they describe:

"Barrel:  A proprietary blend of Hammer forged chrome molly vanadium made by FN that is referred to as "Machine Gun Steel" by virtue of its required use in FN's M249 and M240 weapons.   The hammer forging process work hardens the steel, making it more durable.  In addition, the chrome process for the bore allows for a lining almost twice as thick as a standard M16 for enhanced durability.  Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1:7 twist rate, M4 barrel extension, and a rifle length gas system.   The A2 profile barrel  is Mil-Spec phosphate coated, High Pressure tested and Magnetic Particle inspected.  Barrel is finished off with an F-marked front sight post with sling swivel, standard handguards and an A2 flash hider.

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is hard coat anodized black for durability. Featuring T-marks, these upper upper receivers are made for us right here in the USA.

BCG: Bolt is made of Mil-s\Spec shot-peened Carpenter 158 steel. Gas key is secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked per mil-spec."

Then that does not appear any different than any other of the manufacturers I talked about, unless I am mistaken.  Are these specs different, better or worse, than others?

Again, not buying anything.
View Quote
You can't get a better barrel for an AR than the FN CHF double chrome lined ones.  No one on ARFCOM short of people who just want to melt a gun will ever shoot one out.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
A forged upper is a forged upper.  To think there is a difference is nuts.

There can be different finishes but there are only a handful of companies that make them and they aren't FN or Colt.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That basically goes to the crux of my question, how is it substandard then?  What is it that makes that way?  If you have a cold hammer forged, double-chromed lined barrel, and a Toolcraft or whatever BCG, then how is that going to fail any faster than DD or BCM?

From some of the posts, I think that question has been answered in that you pay more for a finish and rails.  You can get a 16" CHF MIDLENGTH 5.56 NATO 1:7 UPPER WITHOUT BCG OR CHARGING HANDLE for $350 from PSA.  Add to a lower with an ALG trigger or MBT and a Toolcraft BCG, and other than a rail and maybe finish, there doesn't seem to be a real difference.
View Quote
There isn't.

The rail is where PSA cuts costs.  You won't get one labeled with a G on a PSA upper unless you swap it in from the PSA rail.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just curious, if a PSA Premium rifle shoots thousands upon thousands of rounds and doesn't fail, is it still a garbage, low-tier brand?  
View Quote
I have a PSA Premium 10.5" with one of their $129 lowers that I SBR'ed. Has 7,500 rounds through it. Haven't had a single part fail yet.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top