Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Jack,

When I met Dave at Crane he actually identified himself as Coldblue within the first 30 seconds. To me, that = Standup Guy.

We all know where to see Dave in Vegas. Which booth will you(all of you?) be haunting at the SHOT Show?

southern
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Oh, and congratulations on winning your protest with the GAO.  

View Quote
View Quote

So I guess when the Govt. says no what they really mean is let's spend a ton more tax dollars to figure out if that is what we really meant!

Geeez!
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 1:34:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I want one.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:18:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, and congratulations on winning your protest with the GAO.  

View Quote
View Quote

So I guess when the Govt. says no what they really mean is let's spend a ton more tax dollars to figure out if that is what we really meant!

Geeez!
View Quote

From ColdBlue,
I think what happened here is that a particular paragraph in the specification really meant to say "don't raise the height of the upper receiver rail and maintain a flat suface along the top of the gun."  However, as published, it didn't state it that specifically, but tried to "talk around it" in an artfull way; and that's the paragraph that both disqualified our RAS II and 3rdtk's SIR system(s).  I mean that "they" knew what they meant when they artfully wrote it, and we at KAC "knew" what they meant, but when a totally objective investigator from the GAO looked and heard both sides, they ruled on the ambiguity of the specification and let 3rdPanzer back in.
In other words, the users did not want the rail raised because this would create interoperability issues with standard SOPMOD Kit accessories like the current ACOGs.  So if they would have stated it this way, we would be all far along selecting and perhaps fielding a new rail system for the SOPMOD Kit.
My opinion, now that I have seen what Karl Lewis offered them with his quick change barrel, truly monolithic UR unit, etc. (which by the way is exactly what these Users had asked for), that the SIR and probably even our KAC URX-2 system does not have a chance.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Coldblue,

Any idea when the decision will be made?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:12:03 AM EDT
[#6]
ColdBlue, so if the .mil goes for the MRP over the URXII... What does that mean for us civvies? Will it still be produced? I was kinda looking forward to getting one for one of my upcoming builds.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Decisions will not be made until the systems in the running are purchased in limited quantities, tested, then evaluated and selected in accordance with the Solicitation's provisions.  As far as I know, execise of this phase by the government placing purchase orders to the qualifing vendors and ARMS could come any day now.  So I think a minimum of 3 months Never fear, URX-2 is alive and well.  Once we finish filling some unrelated to SOPMOD government orders for full auto URX weapons, we will start installing them on our 2004 line.  Still no final decisions on barreled uppers as aftermarket parts.
So sometime in 2004 you will be able to at least purchase an SR-15 Match Rifle or 16-inch barrel URX Carbine.
On the other related Solicitation, all us suppressor guys continue to hiold our collective breaths awaiting a drill similar to that outlined in the preceeding.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks COLDBLUE!  As always your posts are a great insight!  I see the ambiguity now and the objectiveness of the GAO makes a bit more sense.  Though, after all that, at least KAC seemed to see it from the get go!  Ala URX.

take care
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I remember reading the solicitation and I seems to me like it said something like: IF THE RAIL HIEGHT IS RAISED THE APLICANT MUST ALSO PROVIDE MOUNTS TO ASSURE OPTICS REMAIN AT THE SAME HIEGHT or something like that.  I remember at the time thinking that it would be very hard to lower the acog mount much.  Does anybody else remember that?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Regarding the lower ARMS mounts... There is conflicting info about whether or not the lower mounts are going to be made. I'm kinda wondering if the left hand knows what the right is doing in this case.

As far as the URX-2 goes... Will the barrels on the  new SR15s be chromelined 4150 steel and 1/7 twist? And... Will your new bolt and carrier be an option with these new rifles? Thanks for the clear and concise answers! It's refreshing to not be answered with complete ambiguosity every once in a while [;)]

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#11]
WOW Thant looks muy caliente!
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#12]
MRP, URX, Another SIR...............TOO MANY GOOD CHOCIES! It makes my brain hurt! Mak eit stop please! [banghead]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#13]
This is the same photo in the 2004 issue of one of the tacticle mags I saw at the grocery store this a.m.

Sorry can't remember the name, but I do remember the price...$9.95, WOW!!

Mike
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
MRP, URX, Another SIR...............TOO MANY GOOD CHOCIES! It makes my brain hurt! Mak eit stop please! [banghead]
View Quote

What makes my brain hurt is all the money I am going to spend getting all these damn things.  I will definitely be getting one URX (maybe more).  Especially if they come up with a midlength that incorporates the fixed front sight assembly, then I will probably get several.  

I am also waiting to see the Daniel Defense entry.  I like what I have seen of their rail systems and know theirs will probably be a winner in my book either way.  Again, I hope for a midlength that uses the fixed front sight block.

Is the MRP the entry for LMT?  I thought they had come up with something else as well.  Probably just wishful thinking on my part.  All thier products are so good, I wish they made more.

I am not that big of a fan of the SIR.  I like it, but I prefer the Knight's and Daniel Defense systems more.  However, if ARMS is willing to rework the SIR, I'm sure anything they come with is going to be top notch.  If they don't rework it, it is still a great system, just not my cup of tea.

As far as suppressors go, I can't wait to see who gets the contract either,  I am shopping for a suppressor, but I just might wait to see who gets picked and see if I can get my hands on one.

I think the Surefire suppressor went through the 1500 round test on several different uppers. They switched uppers every time a barrel would fail.  So that was probably why the barrel or gas tube in the picture wasn't glowing, it probably didn't have a lot of rounds through it.

That doesn't mean the suppressor doesn't have problems.  The word is that Det 1 tried to return the suppressors, but Surefiore refused to take them back.  So 3rdtk is right, the Marines took the suppressors after all, they didn't have a choice.  However, that doesn't mean they are using them, training with them, or deploying with them.  Just because they were forced to buy them, doesn't necessarily mean anyone is going into harms way with one on the end of their weapon.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:18:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I remember reading the solicitation and I seems to me like it said something like: IF THE RAIL HIEGHT IS RAISED THE APLICANT MUST ALSO PROVIDE MOUNTS TO ASSURE OPTICS REMAIN AT THE SAME HIEGHT or something like that.  I remember at the time thinking that it would be very hard to lower the acog mount much.  Does anybody else remember that?
View Quote

I don't recall seeing anything like that, and i have rear and re-read the thing many times...and i was looking for something like this.  Why?  Because the first solicitation back 7 or 8 years ago had the whole thing spelled out to the 1,000 of an inch.  i mean all rails parallel, top on-line with host weapon UR rail, only so wide, only so thick, all Mil 1913, etc.  So one must wonder why they left out something that important, especialy since it was there already when they started revising???
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:22:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As far as the URX-2 goes... Will the barrels on the  new SR15s be chromelined 4150 steel and 1/7 twist? And... Will your new bolt and carrier be an option with these new rifles? Thanks for the clear and concise answers! It's refreshing to not be answered with complete ambiguosity every once in a while [;)]

-Cap'n
View Quote

The plan now is all 1:7 twist chrome lined.  All should have the E3 improved bolt, extractor. etc.  I am also pushing for mid-length gas tube systems, but with the low profile gas block, as we have some new BUIS options on the SOPMOD table that i think shooters will really like, and they work & lookk better on a "clear deck".
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:42:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The plan now is all 1:7 twist chrome lined.  All should have the E3 improved bolt, extractor. etc.  I am also pushing for mid-length gas tube systems, but with the low profile gas block, as we have some new BUIS options on the SOPMOD table that i think shooters will really like, and they work & lookk better on a "clear deck".
View Quote

4150 barrel steel?

As far as the BUIS options, this vurmudgeon will have to see before I pass judgement.  However, you guys have come through with some great stuff in the past, so I trust your judgement.  Until then, I still like my fixed front sights.

Also, if you don't come out with midlength systems, any plans on an MRE URX?  I like the added rails on thse better than putting a full length on a carbine and it looks nice too!  Although with your new BUIS options, I guess it wouldn't be necessary, a full length wouldn't get in the way of the front sight.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:35:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like there is some very exciting stuff coming in the near future!  I better start saving now [;)]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:51:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The plan now is all 1:7 twist chrome lined.  All should have the E3 improved bolt, extractor. etc.  I am also pushing for mid-length gas tube systems, but with the low profile gas block.
View Quote

Wow, all the options I wanted and I didn't even have to beg!  My jedi mind trick exercises are paying off!
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#20]
ColdBlue, you're the man! Just what I need, another f*&#ing superb upper assembly to buy [:)]

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The plan now is all 1:7 twist chrome lined.  All should have the E3 improved bolt, extractor. etc.  I am also pushing for mid-length gas tube systems, but with the low profile gas block.
View Quote

Wow, all the options I wanted and I didn't even have to beg!  My jedi mind trick exercises are paying off!
View Quote

No man! You got it wrong. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

It was my Jedi Force Grip that made them submit. Resistance is futile...or something like that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
...Also, if you don't come out with midlength systems, any plans on an MRE URX?  I like the added rails on thse better than putting a full length on a carbine and it looks nice too!  Although with your new BUIS options, I guess it wouldn't be necessary, a full length wouldn't get in the way of the front sight.
View Quote

I think the extra rail length you will get with a mid-length URX will accomplish at least a big part of what MRE version of the original FF RAS did for the issue M4/M4A1.  The URX mid rails for the SR-15 Commercial Carbine (with the low profile gas block underneath the handguard)are 3.75" longer than a carbine's that stop just behind a standard front sight A-frame.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

as we have some new BUIS options on the SOPMOD table that i think shooters will really like, and they work & lookk better on a "clear deck".
View Quote

This is VERY good news to me.  Oh the wait[:D]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Does KAC use chrome lined 4150 steel in there rifle barrels?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top