Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/12/2022 10:33:29 AM EDT
Yesterday I was in a local gun shop, and ended up in the dreaded Mattel debate. The owner and two employees were behind the counter, and we were having a discussion about the M16A1. That's when one of the employees declared that the early M16A1's did not have a forward assist, and that they had Mattel printed on the plastic stock. He was an older gentleman, with a Vietnam veteran hat on.

I did not want to disrespect the guy, and I could maybe overlook the forward assist comment, but the Mattel one was too far. I did point out that the A1 stock was not plastic, nor did it have a Mattel emblem, but that it was made of what was at the time advanced composites.

That's when the employee with the veteran hat on told me he held them in Vietnam and what did I know?

How on earth does one deal with this. It's the worst when industry "professionals" propagate false information with confidence. Ugh!
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#1]
They actually used and passed around Mattel Marauders in training at one point, so he might technically not be wrong. If he remembers holding the toy in training, he might have honestly believed his real M16A1 was in fact made by Mattel. We have actually dealt with this before here and had to explain this.

ETA: This was several years before Rubber Ducks were a thing, so I can see how useful something like this could be.

" />

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#2]
The handgrip of the M16 rifle was made by Mattel. When the gun was first introduced in Vietnam, soldiers noticed the toy company’s logo embossed on the handgrip and complained. Later shipments arrived without the imprint, but the grips were still manufactured by Mattel.

I guess not…

I don’t have proof, just stories from a veteran. My bad.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The handgrip of the M16 rifle was made by Mattel. When the gun was first introduced in Vietnam, soldiers noticed the toy company’s logo embossed on the handgrip and complained. Later shipments arrived without the imprint, but the grips were still manufactured by Mattel.
View Quote

I have never seen any documentation that supports this. “Pics or it didn’t happen…”
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

100% false. I’m sure tens of thousands of grips have passed through this groups hands and none were made by Mattel
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well OP, here is your answer as to how this continues to be a thing....this stuff just never dies.

My father spent 33 years in the military and retired as a well respected military strategist. He did tons of overseas deployments and has plenty of time behind M16 - M4 variants.  Still, his knowledge and understanding of the platform is limited and he believed (until we discuss it) many of these rumors (or whatever you want to call them).
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#7]
The handgrip argument is an aggravating one as well. Unfortunately there are articles you can find on a google search that repeat this, but I'm with aeyoung and Americansheepdog. Receipts or it didn't happen!

Also, Mattel did not work in composites, they worked with cardboard, plastic, and pot metal. They have no experience with the materials used to build the grips, stocks, or handguards.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Another thing to keep in mind..
Most Joe's aren't gun guys. At least not to extent we are.
We thrive on the minutiae and details.
Most just know they had an M-16 or an M-4.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#9]
It’s the Mandela Effect

I roamed the woods most of my childhood with a 22 rifle. Nailing a squirrel in the head at 50 yards with open sights wasn’t anything special. Most of my friends could do the same.

I was a Boy Scout (USAF) so this isn’t indicative of any riflemen experience.

I saw my first ‘M16’ in 1983. It was for qualifying at boot camp and utilized .22LR adapters. I remember thinking what a piece of shit.

As I joined and left different organizations we would be assigned an off the rack M16. Qualifying with the actual 556 round changed my mind.

Although I know and believe the posters saying it didn’t happen, until the internet arrived (to me) in the late 90’s I would have argued I carried a Mattel at some point. I can remember it vividly yet it didn’t happen.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#10]
John Wayne broke a Mattel Marauder in "The Green Berets" movie.
That's about as close as it got...

1) I (also) want to see physical evidence to the contrary, if it exists.  Not 50+ year old conflated recollections from someone who may or may not know the difference.

2) Just having a "Vietnam Veterans" hat on does not confer any knowledge whatsoever. If I had a nickel for every fake Vietnam Veteran/Navy SeAL/Sniper/Green Beret/Ranger etc... that I've run across, I could afford to buy myself a fake Mattel M16!
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Bite your tongue.  Walk away.  Let fools be fools.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#12]
who cares what company made the stock, grips, forend, etc..

damn thing ran like a sewing machine and evolved into what we have today..

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#13]
With all the rumors of Mattel M16's that were out there, you guys dont think a few artistic GI's didn't realistically mark up a few guns with the Logo to feed the rumor?
That could explain things.
My dad, who we lost 2 years back, was a smart well educated guy (He was a psychologist) served from 64-68 & did a tour swore he saw a Mattel marked M16.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

100% false. I’m sure tens of thousands of grips have passed through this groups hands and none were made by Mattel
View Quote

I'm no expert but I'm going to go with this right here.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I do not engage in gunshop conversations. Ever.

That's how I deal with it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
With all the rumors of Mattel M16's that were out there, you guys dont think a few artistic GI's didn't realistically mark up a few guns with the Logo to feed the rumor?
That could explain things.
My dad, who we lost 2 years back, was a smart well educated guy (He was a psychologist) served from 64-68 & did a tour swore he saw a Mattel marked M16.
View Quote

Props to your Pops!
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
This seems like wisdom Kalahnikid.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Just ask them what Mattel's CAGE code is.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#19]
My uncles, sister inlaws, husbands, neighbors, newspaper boys, moms, uncles, kids teachers, cousins dog walker used to work at  Mattel and was in charge of QC of the grips they made. 100% true swears by his dogs chew toys.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#20]
My uncle who went to Korea in the Mid or Late 70s also swore he had a Mattel Marked (ie the lower) M16… I had to shut that down REAL quick in that  conversation.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not at first. It had problems with chamber corrosion, dirty ammo & probably got more than one guy killed because of it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not at first. It had problems with chamber corrosion, dirty ammo & probably got more than one guy killed because of it.
View Quote

Partially true.

“At first” the 601 was in the field and SF and SEALS, etc LOVED them. The 601 had no chrome bore and chamber and I haven't seen any reports of corroded bores and chambers, or over-sped actions from that era.

Then the Army had to go and mess with the TDP and not issue cleaning kits, leading to the issue you're describing. Not to mention the fact those guys in 1964-1966 with XM16E1s with these problems were often originally trained on the M14.

It was a combination of circumstances that lead to a bad situation.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

67CS2, for those looking to clone their issued Mattel M16A1.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the way.  had the Assistant Fudd at a soon to be dead shop recently  
1) tell me that i couldn't build more than 3 guns in my lifetime without an FFL. (oh, thanks for letting me know)
2) ask me just what i planned on doing with the 3 brownells BRN-22 receivers once they were built.  (shoot them, what else are they good for?)

i used them once more for a complete firearm, and the owner screamed that i was a liar when i said he wasn't there on the agreed upon time day.  assistant fudd vouched that i was there and owner was out.  The transfer moved through while the owner repeatedly told me how he had been trying to sell the gun i was having transferred because he thought i had stood him up.   Other times, they have been friendly and gracious going out of the way to treat family members well.    

I love to shoot, but man, the stupidity in a lot of gun shops is unbearable.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought everyone knew only the soldiers that guarded the moon landing sound stage carried Mattel M16’s.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and yet.. it DID evolve..
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't know about the A1s, but I have a rare A2 with the rare "crooked 2"  rollmark made by Jeremiah McCallister, who had Tardive Dyskinesia; he messed up the 2 during one of his uncontrollable twitches.   He made an uncontrolled hard right turn off of Mullholland and they left the 2 in memorium.

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#29]

When will this nonsense die?

The Myth of Mattel's M16 - Podcast 18

I had an NCO who swore he was issued a Mattel M16A1 at basic training... and other nonsense with that guy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Bite your tongue.  Walk away.  Let fools be fools.
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

67CS2, for those looking to clone their issued Mattel M16A1.
View Quote
That's pretty funny. It's a legit cage code.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#32]

I did not want to disrespect the guy.................

That's when the employee with the veteran hat on told me he held them in Vietnam and what did I know?
View Quote

There are no shortages of dumb asses in the military.  Complicating this are cases of stolen valor and exaggerated but maybe otherwise true stories.

Firearms knowledge is often very minimal for the average person in the military.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There are no shortages of dumb asses in the military.  Complicating this are cases of stolen valor and exaggerated but maybe otherwise true stories.

Firearms knowledge is often very minimal for the average person in the military.
View Quote
That makes sense to me. It is a tool; you have to know how to use it and maintain it, but you don't have to be interested in it. I imagine it is the same for the majority of law enforcement as well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

When will this nonsense die?

The Myth of Mattel's M16 - Podcast 18

I had an NCO who swore he was issued a Mattel M16A1 at basic training... and other nonsense with that guy.
View Quote
This is a good podcast. I've listened to about half of it, good discussion!
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I wouldn't want a weapon with the 'Mattel' logo on it.
To me, the best assault rifle ever made was made by Hasbro...

To this day the ATF is still trying to ban them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I had no idea the ghost gun actually exists. So it's been Hasbro this whole time
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yesterday I was in a local gun shop, ...
View Quote

I don't remember the last time I went in to a dedicated 'gun shop' for anything more than to pick up something being transferred to me that required paperwork, and stories like this are exactly why. If it isn't someone talking out of their ass, it's someone being an asshole, or monopolizing the sales staff's time with nonsense.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

and yet.. it DID evolve..
View Quote

Yes it did in spite of or maybe even because of the bureaucratic boondoggle that caused it to be an unreliable weapon in the beginning. It took a a year or two before it became that "sewing machine" you alluded to.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct.  I remember us joking about Mattel guns a-way back then but don't think anybody really believed it.  After all, the manufacturer's name was right there on the rifle.  But stack on 50 or 60 years, memories fade and change and some old guys get frustrated.

Personal example:  I toted a "CAR-15" for a bit and could not today tell you whether it was an XM177E1 or an E2.  And I was in fact a "gun guy."  But I'm not gonna join the group down at Fuddville and argue about it.  Or here either......
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Correct.  I remember us joking about Mattel guns a-way back then but don't think anybody really believed it.  After all, the manufacturer's name was right there on the rifle.  But stack on 50 or 60 years, memories fade and change and some old guys get frustrated.

Personal example:  I toted a "CAR-15" for a bit and could not today tell you whether it was an XM177E1 or an E2.  And I was in fact a "gun guy."  But I'm not gonna join the group down at Fuddville and argue about it.  Or here either......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought of myself as a gun-geek when I was in, but the only reason I know we had a Hydramatic M16A2 is from being a car guy.  It was years later I learned my memory wasn't messing with me after learning that that Hydramatic only made M16A1's.  There was some re-working done.

I also remember my issue 1911A1 as being a Remington Rand, but the serial number on my weapons card says it was a Colt by serial.  Mixmaster.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:08:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Yes, total garbage the Mattel fallacy stories. And I believe it's true most former serviceman of yester-year didn't really pay any attention on there weapon system manufactures ie M16, M16A1, M60 & M2 that I was introduced to as a Marine 1978-82. Today's serviceman may be more informed thanks to the internet.

What I did pay attention to was hi-fi stereo systems you could buy at the main exchange overseas!!! Pioneer, MacIntosh, Yamaha, Akai etc, etc, etc. I still have my system I bought 1979-80 while stationed in Okinawa less original turntable. Receiver, equalizer, cassette deck, headphones & JBL speakers (was tapped out and couldn't afford the reel to reel I wanted @ $450). Listen to it daily still to this day. Now that's more important to me plus why I stay out of gun shops as much as possible.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Today's serviceman may be more informed thanks to the internet.
View Quote

I would hope so.  "Back-in-the-day" all we had was grunt superstition.  

Nice set up, Wags.  I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:16:48 AM EDT
[#44]
No offense to any gun store clerks in the forum, but the only things I want to hear from the counter jockeys is "May I help you" and "Your NCIS went through for the transfer."

Have never learned anything from overheard conversations and I'm not anyone's teacher.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#45]
I guess someone swore that Mattel made magazines too.

RIA auction catalog, september 2012.

"The Mattel M16A1: A Frontier Between Truth & Mythology" by Martin k.a. Morgan would have been the resolutive speech at the NRA convention but i guess  it never materialized due to covid, am i wrong?

That said, the only Mattel connection i have is a picture from JOTC Panama during Vietnam war, a green beret sitting with a Marauder on his lap, the veteran pictured said that he would use it to scare recruits. I will dig the pic out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I guess someone swore that Mattel made magazines too.

RIA auction catalog, september 2012.
https://images2.imgbox.com/6f/3b/vUxvW9Xn_o.jpg

"The Mattel M16A1: A Frontier Between Truth & Mythology" by Martin k.a. Morgan would have been the resolutive speech at the NRA convention but i guess  it never materialized due to covid, am i wrong?

That said, the only Mattel connection i have is a picture from JOTC Panama during Vietnam war, a green beret sitting with a Marauder on his lap, the veteran pictured said that he would use it to scare recruits. I will dig the pic out.
View Quote

Hey, if an auction house says it, it HAS TO BE TRUE
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Hey, if an auction house says it, it HAS TO BE TRUE
View Quote

definitely

Also, why a GI wouldn't trust a Mattel handguard while at the sime time he would trust a complete rifle made by General Motors?
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

definitely

Also, why a GI wouldn't trust a Mattel handguard while at the sime time he would trust a complete rifle made by General Motors?
View Quote

GI’s didn’t t have a choice unless they were not a regular GI.
A frogman or GB maybe got to choose. A ‘Joe’ didn’t choose anything he didn’t steal or trade for.

My best friend had to transition from M14 to M16.
He was so unsure of the new tech he volunteered to carry the
M79 (I may be wrong on model) but ‘grenade launcher’.

Said you’d be surprised the grenades could bounce back if you didn’t know what you were doing).

His ‘field testing’ ended in a rice patty with the loss of his lower leg. He now contends they targeted grenadiers (sp?) and he was a dumbass for avoiding the M16. He also claims his lower leg was worth all the poon he got recuperating in Oki.
He’s fading fast and men like him are becoming rare (at least in my small world).

btw- I’m aware you were just being jolly, it was just a chance to brag on my friend.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Wonder if one could FOIA Mattel for a letter stating once and for all and put this to rest.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Wonder if one could FOIA Mattel for a letter stating once and for all and put this to rest.
View Quote

Still wouldn't be enough for some
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top