Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#1]
That's looking great are they the dpms pattern extended pins from ar15extreme ?
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Also I'm pretty sure that ar15extreme sells on eBay under xtreme003 and it's free shipping and some of their prices are less than on their website
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 1:16:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a polymer 80 receiver that I would not care about hogging the holes out on to get this to bolt to...I just have to decide whether I wanna do it or not...
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a polymer 80 receiver that I would not care about hogging the holes out on to get this to bolt to...I just have to decide whether I wanna do it or not...
View Quote

Polymer 80%, 12ga... What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:33:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Piston operated, light recoil... Lowers are like 80 bucks... I'll replace a few at that price... By then I'll use aluminium
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Took my new XTR-12 out to the range, and unfortunately not happy with the 1st round of testing:

1st of... Performed the following mods after receiving from Buds Gun Shop:
1.R&R upgrade of the forward and rear take down pins
2.Installation of 9-slot aluminum Picatinny rail device at 6 o’clock position of forend
3.Removal of left-side charging handle hook to allow one finger charging

Issues:

TRIGGER
- After discharge, using various ammunition types, the trigger “sticks” in place after the firing digit is let off, and doesn't return fwd to the normal “ready to fire” pos'n
- Have to manually push the trigger fwd to get the disconnector to reset
- Moving safety selector slightly forward towards the “Safe” position also yields same result

EXTRACTOR
- Shot 00 buck, 1 oz slugs, and #8 bird shot (Bulk pack Federal brand from Walmart)
- Weapon fairly happy with extracting and feeding 00 Buck and slugs, but the bolt head extractor doesn't always properly grab the shells from the chamber so it's prone to stovepipes, double feeding, and complete bolt carrier closure onto a spent shell (i.e. the extractor didn't work at all)
- 3 inch length shells of any pellet type are also tricky with extraction.  Once fired, the spent plastic hull expands lengthwise to almost match the length of the ejection port.  The spent shell tends to jam along the ejection port edge so not great
- 2 3/4 inch shells do much better whether it be full load or reduced recoil types
- Bird shot (low brass, low recoil) rounds are simply too weak for the bolt carrier to fully cycle
- I got about 2 in every 10 shells to properly eject
- The buffer is already super light (~1 oz) and the buffer spring is incredibly weak when compared to regular AR-series springs

PATH FORWARD
- Gun on its way back to Des Plaines, IL to get looked over by the techs

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#7]
UTAS XTR-12 5-round magazines are back IN STOCK!

Slickguns UTAS XTR-12 5-round Magazine

Company is still in the test and quality phase with the 10-round version.  Hopefully hear something more by the end of this year.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Wonder what other folks results have been....anyone saw a comprehensive compilation of user results anywhere?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#9]
UPDATE-01

XTR-12 arrived back at UTAS in Des Plaines, IL last Wednesday, Nov 16, 2016.  I sent a comprehensive write-up of my analysis, including a video disc of the trigger reset issue detailed in my first posting on this thread.

Received an email reply on Thursday, Nov 17, 2016, saying the following:
Good Afternoon,
Your repaired XTR-12 has been shipped out via UPS. Your tracking number is:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have attached your service invoice for your viewing and for your records.
Have A Great Day,
xxxxxxx xxxxxxx

The "Invoice" shows the following items:
1. Hammer Spring       Qty: 1
2. Charging Handle     Qty: 1
3. Test Ammo              Qty: 20

Not sure why they replaced the charging handle.  I purposely modified it as stated in my first posting, by removing the left-side hook latch to allow for one finger operation, but am guessing the technician thought it was "damaged".
Also not sure what type of "Test Ammo" was used.  I will contact them to find out.

Will take it back out to the range again when it arrives, should be this Wednesday, just in time to shoot some turkeys, and report back.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the great pics, been waiting to see one in detail!
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the great pics
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone try a DPMS/Aero Precision AR10 upper on one of these yet?
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:36:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I wonder how a hiperfire 3G trigger would work in one of these?
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I picked up my XTR-12 today! I noticed it no longer has the double latch charging handle and now has a traditional single latch. I have an Aero M5e1 upper at home to try out later.

Eta: paid $800 before tax.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I picked up my XTR-12 today! I noticed it no longer has the double latch charging handle and now has a traditional single latch. I have an Aero M5e1 upper at home to try out later.

https://c6.staticflickr.com/6/5722/31067068541_cba657d310_k.jpg
View Quote

Anyone chopped one of these down yet?
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After I see that it is a reliable gun, it will be SBS'd.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been thinking of doing an sbs with mine but it will have to wait until after 1st of the year to get the paperwork going.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I got it home and got to go over it and try swapping uppers and lowers. I won't get to shoot it until Sunday, but here are my impressions.

First is compatibility. The Aero 308 upper fits nicely on the XTR lower. The opposite is not true. The lug of the XTR upper that fits into the rear of the Aero lower is too wide to go i side the lower.

Magazines interchange in both lowers, have a solid lock, and drop free.

As for the XTR there are things I definitely dislike, but I am still happy with it.

Pros
Same dimensions as a 308
Lower appears to work with aero upper
All the AR commin parts (grip, FCG, stock)
Tons of QD mounts (5 on handguard, 2 on stock, 1 on receiver plate)
Nice handguard with monolithic-like top rail
Locking storage grip
Big fat butt pad

cons
The finish is my biggest complaint. Tons of rough machine marks and what looks like a painted on finish.
Engraving on one side of the lower is nice laser engraving. The other side is ugly electropen.
The safety selector feels mushy.
There is a pin in the rear of the upper receiver for the charging handle latch instead of a milled out area like AR uppers.

Most of my complaints are aesthetic. If it really bugs me, I'll refinish it. At this point, it doesn't bother me that much. I would expect a nicer finish on an $800 gun.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...be  a hell of a 2 stamp-er...
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I got it home and got to go over it and try swapping uppers and lowers. I won't get to shoot it until Sunday, but here are my impressions.

First is compatibility. The Aero 308 upper fits nicely on the XTR lower. The opposite is not true. The lug of the XTR upper that fits into the rear of the Aero lower is too wide to go i side the lower.

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5734/30815679150_f4fd9b2eb9_k.jpg

Magazines interchange in both lowers, have a solid lock, and drop free.

https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5805/31147260946_64c1b12597_k.jpg

As for the XTR there are things I definitely dislike, but I am still happy with it.

Pros
Same dimensions as a 308
Lower appears to work with aero upper
All the AR commin parts (grip, FCG, stock)
Tons of QD mounts (5 on handguard, 2 on stock, 1 on receiver plate)
Nice handguard with monolithic-like top rail
Locking storage grip
Big fat butt pad

cons
The finish is my biggest complaint. Tons of rough machine marks and what looks like a painted on finish.
Engraving on one side of the lower is nice laser engraving. The other side is ugly electropen.
The safety selector feels mushy.
There is a pin in the rear of the upper receiver for the charging handle latch instead of a milled out area like AR uppers.

Most of my complaints are aesthetic. If it really bugs me, I'll refinish it. At this point, it doesn't bother me that much. I would expect a nicer finish on an $800 gun.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5793/30376034633_60b38aac68_k.jpg
http://staticflickr.com/6/5488/31039714142_f3afeab6bf_k.jpg
https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5499/31068764371_0d26d9960c_k.jpg
https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5553/30815679900_fd3218cd30_k.jpg
https://c6.staticflickr.com/6/5681/30376030653_88aa0cf637_k.jpg
https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5734/30815679150_f4fd9b2eb9_k.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for all the good info and pics!
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow so it comes with a Battle arms ambi selector? Thanks for all the information. I'm really thinking about getting one but I want to know how reliable with federal and Reno ammo it will be before the purchase. I have a feeling the gas port will need to be opened up for an SBS. My vepr12 needed it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wow so it comes with a Battle arms ambi selector? Thanks for all the information. I'm really thinking about getting one but I want to know how reliable with federal and Reno ammo it will be before the purchase. I have a feeling the gas port will need to be opened up for an SBS. My vepr12 needed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not sure of the brand of selectors. They look nice but are kinda mushy. I'll be trying it out Sunday and plan to shoot a variety of ammo.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I am not sure of the brand of selectors. They look nice but are kinda mushy. I'll be trying it out Sunday and plan to shoot a variety of ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They look like BAD levers and that would be a plus. I meant Rio ammo in the previous post. Keep up posted
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Anybody have any updates on the reliability of these?  It'd be nice to know that somebody had 100, 500, or 1000 rounds through them and hear how its running.  Also, how do the magazines compare to standard AR-10 mags?  does it look like we could open up the feed lips on some magpul mags and go to town?

And if we could get these dudes to sell a complete upper, I bet those would sell like hotcakes.  Everybody should start emailing them and asking about it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 12:08:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Anybody have any updates on the reliability of these?  It'd be nice to know that somebody had 100, 500, or 1000 rounds through them and hear how its running.  Also, how do the magazines compare to standard AR-10 mags?  does it look like we could open up the feed lips on some magpul mags and go to town?

And if we could get these dudes to sell a complete upper, I bet those would sell like hotcakes.  Everybody should start emailing them and asking about it.
View Quote

This is what I am wondering too
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 12:30:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I am planning on taking a dremel to a pmag to see what happens. It will be worth it if it saves me from buying $45 mags. I won't  le to get to it until Saturday.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I tried and failed. I hacked up a 308 magazine to see if I could make it work in the XTR. What I learned is that taking the plastic off the front of the magazine to allow the shell to pass weakens the magazine enough that it bows out. Inserting a loaded mag is difficult. The first round fed fine by releasing the bolt catch.  The next round was not nose up enough to make it into the chamber. It was worth wasting a $17 pmag, but I wish I had better results.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Be interesting to see how it would feed out of a steel DPMS mag.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 1:24:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Looks like the follower needs to be modified to keep the nose up. Do you think magazine insertion would be easier if you would have taken off less material on the sides and front?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I took my first shots today and I totally regret my purchase. The first 5 or 6 shots of #8 birdshot were all single shot, failure to eject. I got 2 slug rounds to fire consecutively. I took the bolt out and a spring fell out of the bolt. It no longer strips a round from the magazine. I'll be calling UTAS tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I took my first shots today and I totally regret my purchase. The first 5 or 6 shots of #8 birdshot were all single shot, failure to eject. I got 2 slug rounds to fire consecutively. I took the bolt out and a spring fell out of the bolt. It no longer strips a round from the magazine. I'll be calling UTAS tomorrow.
View Quote

Bummer..hopefully they will help you.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#32]
That doesn't sound like a $800 gun at all.  That's more like a $150 gun.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 7:44:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That doesn't sound like a $800 gun at all.  That's more like a $150 gun.
View Quote

My $300 Akdel MKA1919 ate everything. I should have kept it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry to hear that. What kind of shells were you shooting. My hope was that it would run the cheap federal shells at Walmart. Let us know that UTAS tells you.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I emailed them to ask about buying a complete upper and magazine.  They say they are only selling the full shotguns with MSRP over $1000.  And at that price, I'd have to see some better reports from actual users.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that. What kind of shells were you shooting. My hope was that it would run the cheap federal shells at Walmart. Let us know that UTAS tells you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The shells that wouldn't cycle were cheap federal. The buckshot and slugs cycled.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The shells that wouldn't cycle were cheap federal. The buckshot and slugs cycled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they can make a AR type shotgun that will cycle the cheap federal stuff then they will make a fortune in sales. If you have any of the Monarch 1350 fps 7 1/2 try those and see if they will cycle. I've had great success with those in my VEPR12 SBS and they are comparable in price to the federal shells
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I tried Federal, Monarch, and Estate with no luck.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Maybe you can take it to a gun show and pawn it off on somebody else :D
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:54:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I tried Federal, Monarch, and Estate with no luck.
View Quote

That really is a bummer.
Id call UTAS and ask them to take a look at it. If they can't get it to run low brass I'd ask for my money back.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#41]
My buddy's was jamming on light loads, it ran fine on Rem express high brass
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Maybe you can take it to a gun show and pawn it off on somebody else :D
View Quote

I'm going to give it another go after it is repaired.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Mine just got back from being repaired.  Had an issue with the hammer spring.  Took it back out to the range, and after only 20 rounds the bolt failed.  Emailed UTAS 5 business days ago, and still haven't heard anything back.

Edit: Mine also doesn't didn't do squat for low recoil and low brass birdshot with regard to properly cycling.  The BCG would barely kick back even a 1/2" after each shell.  Not happy.

Here are a couple of vids I made while shooting (Sorry in advance for the sun glare and bad wind noise):
VIDEO 1: https://youtu.be/fzKd9ptLPS4
VIDEO 2: https://youtu.be/LHqNuHh5Nx8
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Had a couple of these out to the range today and went better than any mag fed shotgun on its first outing that I have and I have saigas, viper,  and a MKA 1919.  Anyone play around with the gas system on these yet?  I can hardly believe they get away with such a weak spring on this gun.

Who is going to make mags and drums for this?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 1:32:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Mine just got back from being repaired.  Had an issue with the hammer spring.  Took it back out to the range, and after only 20 rounds the bolt failed.  Emailed UTAS 5 business days ago, and still haven't heard anything back.

Edit: Mine also doesn't didn't do squat for low recoil and low brass birdshot with regard to properly cycling.  The BCG would barely kick back even a 1/2" after each shell.  Not happy.

Here are a couple of vids I made while shooting (Sorry in advance for the sun glare and bad wind noise):
View Quote

What a steaming pile.  At this rate, it looks like one of those newfangled pullpup shotguns is the way to go.  There's a few of them on the market and some of them holding 14 shells.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Try calling them. I had no issue getting a person to answer the phone. He asked me to take pictures and email them. I had a shipping label the next day.

The guy I spoke with was Kyle and he is the VP of Sales and Marketing. His email is [email protected]. i hope that helps.

What part of your bolt failed? I don't know the name of the part, but it was the spring loaded piece on the underside of the bolt. I assume it is there to strip a shell from the magazine because after it broke in half, ot wouldn't strip a shell anymore.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:17:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Hi,

Yes, the 6 o'clock position of the bolt is what got damaged where that spring actuated component grabs a new round from the magazine.  The component basically broke at the weakest point, and the spring is now sticking out from the bottom.  Single point failure.  Don't want to punch out any bolt pins to investigate any further in the event this voids the warranty.  I'm going to re-email and call them tomorrow morning.  I've been working with a guy named Freddy.

Some pics of the bolt that I sent to UTAS:

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:46:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Do they or will they sell these as a kit for the 80% lower crowd?

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Do they or will they sell these as a kit for the 80% lower crowd?
View Quote

I emailed them asking about getting a complete upper for the shotgun and they replied that they do not sell the upper or lower separately.    No clue what they will do in the future.  But from the experiences of the users in this thread, I wouldn't buy one until it reaches a gen 2 or gen 3 stage.  This first generation looks like a dud.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#50]
If anyone is disenfranchised with their purchase I may trade a VEPR for one of these.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top