Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmmmmm maybe instead of a finned barrel, you could install hundreds of little robotic fans on the barrel.  Yeah...that's it......and a cupholder too........

r
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
MRS is not vapor wear go look in the LW section.
MRS designed to work with gas piston.  Go read in the LW Industry section.

It is not vapor wear? Please post a link to where it is for sale or where someone is buying it(anyone).

Well there is a pic of the functioning prototype (which can be purchased if you wna to use it for proofing barrels and swapping quickly  right now) and there is a waiting list to get the weapon upper which is mere weeks away from being released and shipped.  Vaporware is equipment that does not exist.  This is equpiment that DOES exist.  People said the gas piston conversion was vaporware too.  Pretty ignorant if you ask me.

Three Shrikes have been delivered too.

If it were not illegal Id make a public wager with you guys it will be available before New Years.  Where are all the people calling the LW gas piston system vapor ware?
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't call it vaporware, but it sure is taking a long stinkin' time to get one.

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Thats the Tiniest, Cutest AR I have ever seen. I would name him Fluffy the destroyer.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
...Which aspect sucks, specifically?

...The advanced barrel with cooling fins--similar to JP Enterprise heatsinks?

Not needed on a 'light weight profile' barrel - they will just add weight.  Maybe do it with a medium weight barrel, but no a LW

The press fit barrel--like many combat rifles?

That is the big SUCK.  Lesser/cheaper combat rifles might use press fit barrels (like the AK) but that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

It makes repairing the upper a nightmare if you have to replace a bad barrel.  The current system works fine and allows for modularity and replacement of the barrel at unit level.  The quick change system of the MRF is find and doesn't seem to have ANY zeroing issues.  Both systems are much better than press fit.

Press fit is used to shave some manufacturing costs.  Not worth the saving IMHO as it makes repair more difficult.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Shaving weight off an infantry weapon while providing the same level of barrel cooling is an asset. The added cost of machining for this feature would clearly be worth it.

Really?!  And you have what study that shows this?  How many more rounds will the barrel be able to go before cookoff or bursting?  How often are the soldier having a problem with the barrels overheating in the field?  How much will it cost to implement this feature?  How can you say the feature is worth it unless you can answer these questions?

Fluting to allow for a stiffer barrel with a lighter weight is one thing (and that MAY be worth it depending on the application), but tyring to cool the barrel?

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is not vapor wear? Please post a link to where it is for sale or where someone is buying it(anyone).

Well there is a pic of the functioning prototype (which can be purchased if you wna to use it for proofing barrels and swapping quickly  right now) and there is a waiting list to get the weapon upper which is mere weeks away from being released and shipped.  Vaporware is equipment that does not exist.  This is equpiment that DOES exist.  People said the gas piston conversion was vaporware too.  Pretty ignorant if you ask me.

If it were not illegal Id make a public wager with you guys it will be available before New Years.  Where are all the people calling the LW gas piston system vapor ware?

Functioning prototypes and promissed delivery dates don't mean dick. The piece is NOT for sale and can not be purchased...by anyone. I don't care when it is supposed to deliver, unless customers have received the product then it is all heresay. I really think you of all people should know better.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Functioning prototypes and promissed delivery dates don't mean dick. The piece is NOT for sale and can not be purchased...by anyone. I don't care when it is supposed to deliver, unless customers have received the product then it is all heresay. I really think you of all people should know better.

I'm sooooooo sorry we have not delivered the MRS for YOU yet but you see, we are currently dedicating all production to compete in three military bids for new weapon systems.  Unfortuntely, that means that all our available resources are directed into this program including reliability testing, final configuration changes and simplifying production.  The upside is that there will be sufficient production overuns off the first true production run to satisfy all the AR15.com members that pre-ordered this "vaporware".  

As with our gas piston "vaporware", we will continue to develop products for our customers and release them once they meet the performance criteria we set for them.  While this may not satisfy everyone, it is really a matter for us, our customers and our shareholders and if you don't fit into any one of those categories in all honesty, your opinion ain't worth DICK.  Get it?  

What an intelligent response.

As soon as a product sells it is no longer vapoware. You said it yourself, it is still under testing and refinement, which means all bets are off. My opinion doesn't mean anything but neither does trying to compare a nonexistant product to an existant product.

A good product is a good product. Hopefully when the MRS is released it is a good product...until then all of this doesn't mean dick, and that includes my opinion and bullshit PR hype.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I think what he is saying is he doesn't give a rats ass whether you buy it or not.  Sorry!

When the new scar requirements are publicly disclosed, read them and see what weapon they describe.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I think what he is saying is he doesn't give a rats ass whether you buy it or not.  Sorry!

When the new scar requirements are publicly disclosed, read them and see what weapon they describe.

I don't recall ever saying I wanted to buy one.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Originally posted by Leitner-Wise
While this may not satisfy everyone, it is really a matter for us, our customers and our shareholders and if you don't fit into any one of those categories in all honesty, your opinion ain't worth DICK. Get it?
--------------------------------------------------------

Maybe this discussion is getting a bit too heated, and should cool down a bit.

OR maybe ian should look here...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=244824&page=2

R
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:32:57 AM EDT
[#16]
You  know, the whole finned barrel thing is probably just extra work anyway. The M249 SAW does just fine with plain barrels, they aren't even the size of an HBAR. To need a barrel change, you need to fire 200 rounds in one minute. Do you often do that with your AR-15?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:24:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe I can help change the direction of this topic a little:

What about leaving the upper more or less as-is and eliminating the buffer tube/buffer/spring, kinda like Olympic did with the OA93, but  with the monolithic rail and interchangeable barrels? Then you could have a shorter overall length, and use side-folding stocks etc.  

I don't know that it happens "all the time", but I've heard of problems with buffer-tubes bending when put under stress, or used as a club (don't ask me why a perfectly functioning gun is used as a club, but....). Once the tube is bent , the gun no longer works. Admittedly, the fixed-stock doesn't seem to have this problem, but both also can get sand/debris accumulation in the buffer-tube which can also be a source of malfunction.  I am, by no means, an operator, and my guns get transported to and from shooting sessions in a climate-controlled vehicle, aren't used in the desert, and aren't used in any CQB stuff, so maybe all of these "problems" are striclty academic for me, but does anyone else consider this a weak point?  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:44:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:13:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What about leaving the upper more or less as-is and eliminating the buffer tube/buffer/spring, kinda like Olympic did with the OA93, but  with the monolithic rail and interchangeable barrels? Then you could have a shorter overall length, and use side-folding stocks etc.  

FWIW, "changing the direction" can be interpreted as a hijack.

To answer your question the no buttstock system requires a shorter bolt carrier. The shorter bolt carrier brings with it a whole new set of problems.

Right- I'm not interested in threadjacking here.  I'm more interested in not arguing back and forth about the whole "vaporware" thing.  Anyway, I guess I can start my own thread since it is Curare's thread about his perfect upper design, not mine.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:48:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I don't know that it happens "all the time", but I've heard of problems with buffer-tubes bending when put under stress, or used as a club (don't ask me why a perfectly functioning gun is used as a club, but....). Once the tube is bent , the gun no longer works. Admittedly, the fixed-stock doesn't seem to have this problem, but both also can get sand/debris accumulation in the buffer-tube which can also be a source of malfunction.  I am, by no means, an operator, and my guns get transported to and from shooting sessions in a climate-controlled vehicle, aren't used in the desert, and aren't used in any CQB stuff, so maybe all of these "problems" are striclty academic for me, but does anyone else consider this a weak point?  

No and the fixed stock uses uses a buffer tube of similar strength to the collapsable one.  I have never heard of debris in the buffer tube causing a malfuntion.  I have TRIED to brak my Magpul stock by beating the hell out of it to no avail.  There is no difference in usable strength or contanimation issues at all.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Give it a try. The only way to prove someone wrong is to make one and show how well it works.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#23]
No need to do that. Most of his ideas were nonsense.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No and the fixed stock uses uses a buffer tube of similar strength to the collapsable one.  I have never heard of debris in the buffer tube causing a malfuntion.  I have TRIED to brak my Magpul stock by beating the hell out of it to no avail.  There is no difference in usable strength or contanimation issues at all.

The difference between the fixed stock and the collapsable stock is that the threads on the exposed tube on the collapsing stock are a weak point.  There's a thread about collapsing stocks in the forums where this has been discussed.  The Magpul is a great stock, and uses totally proprietary hardware that isn't subject to the same problems.  

The contamination I've heard of is sand being introduced into the buffer area through the gab between the upper and lower receivers.  It apparently cakes itself to the oiled spring, buffer, and tube, and can cause a malfunction if enough of it collects.  I will have to ask some of my friends who were more recently deployed to the sandbox if this is still happening. I first heard of this after Desert Storm.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#25]
It's easy to keep sand from jamming up your rifle. Clean it thouroughly, put a barrel cap on and keep the bolt forward and the dust cover closed. In especially dusty conditions leave everything dry, you don't have to worry about rust in the desert. Before going out on patrol, put a drop or two of CLP on the bolt and carrier, it is going to be all the lube you will need. Some people stuck open cell foam blocks in the magwell and the tip of their 203 barrels too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

why 14.5?

the 1.5" more adds so much more velocity

Well in that case, why not use a 20" barrel? Everything in war is a compromise, the 14.5" barrel is in wide use and offers a good balance of manueverability and effective range.

their is a big difference between 1.5 inches and 5.5 inches
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top