BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2021 1:11:04 PM EDT
In a perfect world I'd probably go with the ALG QMS or Colt for a standard trigger, but they are literally never actually available and I'm not quite sure that they've really ever existed in the first place.

If you think there is a better standard trigger than either RRA or Windham I'm open to suggestions... But those two seem to have have checked off the important boxes for me on being phosphate finished, cast and not MIM, and available with non notched faced hammers after emailing both companies regarding those things.

I'd certainly prefer to put the Geissele SSA-E or SD-E in everything, but I'm not a dentist and I have a lot builds that I need to get done that don't really require such precision oriented triggers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Then get the MBT-2S. You can get a decent trigger for very little cash.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What he said, I would not mess with RRA, they have given me trouble in the past...

You cannot go with with a Larue MBT...

I know you said Mil Spec and if you are looking for a single stage, Larue is a 2-stage....

I am very pleased with my ALG Defense QMS and ACT, both are great....

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
LMT and Colt have fantastic factory triggers.  I know, at least with LMT, you can purchase some of the FCG components from third party dealers.  WW and RR make decent quality stock triggers from my recollection, though I haven't experienced either in any new production guns so can't comment on a current comparison.  

The ALG nickel teflon trigger didn't seem better to me at all than the stock Colt or LMT unless you use the under powered purple spring, which gives you lighter hammer strikes (not something I'm willing to do).  

Personally, I don't like double stage triggers on most general purpose ARs.  
For a non factory single stage trigger under $100, the best trigger you can get IMHO is the Hyperfire Enhanced Duty Trigger with their green hammer spring.  The trigger has a curved and a flat portion for two different trigger pulls / feels depending on what you want.  Pulling on the flat portion gives a pull ~ 1 lbs. lighter!

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What he said, I would not mess with RRA, they have given me trouble in the past...

I know you said Mil Spec and if you are looking for a single stage, Larue is a 2-stage....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I should have made clear that what I'm looking for has to be standard in how it looks, that's another reason why I'm looking at standard "mil-spec" type triggers is because some of them will be going into retro builds and have to look the part.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#6]
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/triggers/ar-15-trigger-assembly-nickel-teflon-sku100029372-120778-223144.aspx

Here's an good FCG to consider, especially for the money.  It checks-off everything you are looking for, plus it's from the fine folks at Brownells!  Remember to re-use your trigger/hammer-pins as they aren't included with this Schmid Tool and Engineering FCG.  

Search the Brownells Industry-page here on the EE for a Free Shipping Coupon.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
LMT and Colt have fantastic factory triggers.  I know, at least with LMT, you can purchase some of the FCG components from third party dealers.  WW and RR make decent quality stock triggers from my recollection, though I haven't experienced either in any new production guns so can't comment on a current comparison.  

The ALG nickel teflon trigger didn't seem better to me at all than the stock Colt or LMT unless you use the under powered purple spring, which gives you lighter hammer strikes (not something I'm willing to do).  

Personally, I don't like double stage triggers on most general purpose ARs.  
For a non factory single stage trigger under $100, the best trigger you can get IMHO is the Hyperfire Enhanced Duty Trigger with their green hammer spring.  The trigger has a curved and a flat portion for two different trigger pulls / feels depending on what you want.  Pulling on the flat portion gives a pull ~ 1 lbs. lighter!

https://spotterup.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/File-Nov-25-4-31-07-PM.jpg
View Quote

I've never been able to find any LMT trigger group parts anywhere ever... My searching skills might suck though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Lol! I'm surprised to see either of those in stock. I'd go with the ACT if it were phosphate, but that's basically exactly what the QMS is. I might just go with the QMS now that it's available, the only thing I don't like about ALGs triggers is the 3 groove pins.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/triggers/ar-15-trigger-assembly-nickel-teflon-sku100029372-120778-223144.aspx

Here's an good FCG to consider, especially for the money.  It checks-off everything you are looking for, plus it's from the fine folks at Brownells!  Remember to re-use your trigger/hammer-pins as they aren't included with this Schmid Tool and Engineering FCG.  

Search the Brownells Industry-page here on the EE for a Free Shipping Coupon.  Good luck.
View Quote

Would be perfect if it were phosphate.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've never been able to find any LMT trigger group parts anywhere ever... My searching skills might suck though.
View Quote

PA LINK

Schmid Tool, CMMG, and RRA have been my go to personally. Schmid/Colt takeoffs are in the EE weekly.

ACT is a great trigger IME. Coating rules it out for you, I get it. QMS seems to be hit/miss IMO, most are an improvement but now and again you get one that is just gritty/creepy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In a perfect world I'd probably go with the ALG QMS or Colt for a standard trigger, but they are literally never actually available and I'm not quite sure that they've really ever existed in the first place.

If you think there is a better standard trigger than either RRA or Windham I'm open to suggestions... But those two seem to have have checked off the important boxes for me on being phosphate finished, cast and not MIM, and available with non notched faced hammers after emailing both companies regarding those things.

I'd certainly prefer to put the Geissele SSA-E or SD-E in everything, but I'm not a dentist and I have a lot builds that I need to get done that don't really require such precision oriented triggers.
View Quote

Here ya go
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the help here guys! I'm mostly surprised how how I've managed to miss so much in my own searching.

For the most part I always like to stick to buying straight from the manufacture's websites and that's probably why I never find anything I want in stock.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for the LaRue MBT-2S.  It's what I put in all my AR's now.  
Its got a nice crisp break with no gritty pull.  Best bang for your buck on the market today.  

FYI...they ship with both a heavy and a light trigger spring (full power hammer spring).  
So if you're worried about too light a pull weight, you can just swap in the heavier spring and total poundage will be really close to mil-spec.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have been  real happy with this so far.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Mil spec style - ALG ACT
Everything else Geissele. If budget doesn’t allow, LaRue
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:01:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would not mess with RRA, they have given me trouble in the past...
View Quote

@77Bronc What issue was it specifically that you had with RRA? Was it something regarding their standard single stage "mil-spec" style triggers or something else?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@77Bronc What issue was it specifically that you had with RRA? Was it something regarding their standard single stage "mil-spec" style triggers or something else?
View Quote

@556Cliff

This was a while back, but was mainly with their 2 stage triggers...they would lose the first stage and essemtially become a single stage trigger.   The RRA single stage triggers were not that great either...I have since moved on.  I switched most of my triggers out to Larure MBT 2 Stage,  tried the Larue single stage-not impressed at all-sold them in the EE

To be fair to RRA, they may be better these days or I could have had some bad triggers, anyway, what I have now works....I am not sure what RRA is charging for triggers these days, but there are good alternatives

The absolute best single stage trigger I have is the Geissele SSP, excellent trigger but not cheap

For single stage, mil spec, I do like the ALG Defense QMS and ACT.  I have two ACT and one QMS and I give the edge to the ACT.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:06:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I use only larue & Geissele for triggers but recently bought an alg act trigger from aims. I put the jp springs on it and greased it a little. I’m very happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#20]
"Milspec " type triggers are not 2 stage.....
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#21]
All of the nickel plated mil-spec triggers sold by the big names, BCM, ALG, etc..., are made by the same company.  They all have "S" label from the same machine shop, Simmons or Simpson, I can't remember which.  Toms Tactical has the lowest price, but the disconnector isn't nickel plated.

I have Geissele and Larue 2 stage triggers and I prefer the ACT type.  There is no travel on the reset like on the 2 stage tiggers.

ETA, it looks like Brownells sells the same one as Toms Tactical.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
All of the nickel plated mil-spec triggers sold by the big names, BCM, ALG, etc..., are made by the same company.  They all have "S" label from the same machine shop, Simmons or Simpson, I can't remember which.  Toms Tactical has the lowest price, but the disconnector isn't nickel plated.

I have Geissele and Larue 2 stage triggers and I prefer the ACT type.  There is no travel on the reset like on the 2 stage tiggers.
View Quote

Schmidt tool
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

SCHMID TOOL

One thing to consider, vendors source coatings from different sources. Not all coatings are equal. (Not that nickel teflon is all that difficult to apply).
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#24]
ALG
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Isn't RRA shipping all their lowers and rifles with their 2-stage trigger? I recently got a RRA lower and it came with their 2-stage trigger.

For a long while, RRA 2-stage triggers were considered the best. It's a bit heavy on the second stage but after a while it is very nice.

If your RRA comes with a 1 stage trigger, I would call RRA and ask what happened. They might ship it to you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, except it's "Schmid Tool."  Schmid's non-plated triggers are pretty nice, too.  Look for the two "S"s on the side of the hammer.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
The M14 was, Garand was, M1903 was, and I think the Krag was. I can forgive the confusion. Perhaps one of the few steps back of the Armalite is the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#28]
I think it's important to note that even military Geissele triggers aren't true 2-stage triggers. In semi selector level it is but once on full auto the trigger is a 1-stage trigger.

That's unlike M14, which as far as I know is 2-stage even with the selector on auto.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

@556Cliff

This was a while back, but was mainly with their 2 stage triggers...they would lose the first stage and essemtially become a single stage trigger.   The RRA single stage triggers were not that great either...I have since moved on.  I switched most of my triggers out to Larure MBT 2 Stage,  tried the Larue single stage-not impressed at all-sold them in the EE

To be fair to RRA, they may be better these days or I could have had some bad triggers, anyway, what I have now works....I am not sure what RRA is charging for triggers these days, but there are good alternatives

The absolute best single stage trigger I have is the Geissele SSP, excellent trigger but not cheap

For single stage, mil spec, I do like the ALG Defense QMS and ACT.  I have two ACT and one QMS and I give the edge to the ACT.

View Quote

Thanks for clearing that up.

I was aware of the issues with RRA's 2 stage triggers and things my have changed since then as it was an issue from quite a while ago. I just wanted to make sure that the issue you had wasn't with their standard single stage "mil-spec" triggers. To be fair though, single stage "mil-spec" type triggers from all the differing manufactures are known to not be that great and that is what is supposed to set the ALG QMS apart from all the others. However I'm hearing a lot of hit or miss about it actually being an improvement at all. Most of these standard triggers are made by Schmid Tool anyways no mater the brand they are sold under not counting Windham Weaponry's standard triggers, that manufacturer is unknown.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The M14 was, Garand was, M1903 was, and I think the Krag was. I can forgive the confusion. Perhaps one of the few steps back of the Armalite is the trigger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, this is AR discussions.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, reading comprehension fails this thread.

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough in my original post though... "mil-spec" "standard" "PHOSPHATE FINISH" that pretty much rules out everything down to the basics.

So far 90% of the recommendations have been for 2 stage triggers, Nickel Teflon coated triggers, and non standard single stage triggers.

For the record, a few weeks ago I thought I had found what I was looking for in a standard trigger group from Damage Industries and they happened to be having a sale... So I ordered 3 of them and was disappointed to find out that they had changed completely to a Black Oxide finish. It was only a year or so ago that I had ordered the same trigger from them for a rifle my brother was putting together and it was Phosphate finished, so I thought I was good to go in buying from them.

I'd love to get on the waiting list for LMT's trigger, but who knows how long that wait will be and it's limit ONE... I need 3 to start. So I'm likely going QMS, but still considering RRA and Windham.

Never hear anything about BCM's standard triggers though... Do they even sell them? Never seen any on their website.

Colt would be my preferred, but they are hardly ever available and expensive if buying new for just being a Schmid trigger group just like everyone else sells... Plus Colt hammers are notched and that's a no go for me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd order the LMT triggers now, they'll be in stock before you know it (time flies).  Also, I believe you can place 3 separate orders for the triggers.  Can use different email addresses or CCs if you're worried about doing that though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'd order the LMT triggers now, they'll be in stock before you know it (time flies).  Also, I believe you can place 3 separate orders for the triggers.  Can use different email addresses or CCs if you're worried about doing that though.
View Quote

Aren't they just the average Schmid Tool trigger groups though? I've never had an LMT trigger group to look at the markings, but the picture on the Primary Arms website shows a trigger group marked clearly with the Schmid (S) markings.

Of course I know parts coming from LMT would likely have better quality control than commercial grade companies even if LMT's parts came from the same place.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Aren't they just the average Schmid Tool trigger groups though? I've never had an LMT trigger group to look at the markings, but the picture on the Primary Arms website shows a trigger group marked clearly with the Schmid (S) markings.
View Quote

They might be, but they are nice and are the proper phosphate coating the OP requires.  Also, Schmid makes all of the FCGs to each manufacturer's specifications.  All of my stock LMTs have very nice single stage mil spec triggers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Of course I know parts coming from LMT would likely have better quality control than commercial grade companies even if LMT's parts came from the same place.
View Quote

LMT in the EE:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#36]
ALG QMS is going to be about the same as a Colt or LMT.

I’d get a QMS now and cruise the EE and snag a Colt take-off when one pops up, which is pretty common.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#37]
righttobear.com nickel teflon with hand seleted springs when they come back in stock
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Have a link?  Can't seem to find the listing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
ALG QMS is going to be about the same as a Colt or LMT.

I’d get a QMS now and cruise the EE and snag a Colt take-off when one pops up, which is pretty common.
View Quote

I'm definitely leaning towards the ALG QMS.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
righttobear.com nickel teflon with hand seleted springs when they come back in stock
View Quote

Nickel Teflon is a no go for what I'm looking for, but these look promising. > https://www.righttobear.com/True-Mil-Spec-Trigger-Assembly-p/zz-vlpk-mil-ta.htm
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Preface - I didn't read a single post.

RRA makes hands down the nicest milspec trigger out there.  Compared to something like aero, cmmg, or PSA it feels like a Geissele.

I always use their lpks because of the consistent quality of parts.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone know why so many FCGs have the [S] stamp on all FCG parts, and others on only 1 part???

It stands for "Schmid Tool" but some seem more legit than others.

For example:

-Colt lpk one had a double [S] stamp side by side on the hammer, a normal S on the disco, and [S] on the rear of the actual trigger (w/ "black springs"¿)

-Aero lpk one has the EXACT same pattern as the colt one, but with silver springs rather than black ones, consistent (or lubed) black finish on the FCG aswell (not as patchy)

Also, "ALG" has the same double [S] [S] on the hammer in the same location, not sure about anywhere else, the polished/plates finish makes the pull nicer though.

-PSA has it on the hammer but nowhere else (or maybe it's on the trigger, "Spike's" has this also but not sure if all parts or mismatch also)

-CMMG had it on a trigger but had a square with 4 dots inside on the hammer]

Besides the ones where only 1 part has it, are the matching [S] parted ones ALL essentially the exact same FCG contracted from Schmid Tool, just with different finishes and springs?

As I said, I've seen some where only one part will have an S or an [S], but for the ones that have it on all 3 parts of the FCG, can one assume it's Colt quality via Schmid?

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Besides bringing light to the commonly wondered question, well, "observation" brought up above ^^^ about matching VS non matching [S] marked mil spec FCG parts (may make a thread about this)

Wondering....
Are "Colt" FCG 'Springs' supposed to be "Black" in color???
(Rather than Bronze or silver like other FCGs with the same markings)

Got a Schmid FCG from someone for a friend's build which were said to be from a Colt LPK, so just checking to see if they are COLT springs, OR Add Ons?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Besides bringing light to the commonly wondered question, well, "observation" brought up above ^^^ about matching VS non matching [S] marked mil spec FCG parts (may make a thread about this)

Wondering....
Are "Colt" FCG 'Springs' supposed to be "Black" in color???
(Rather than Bronze or silver like other FCGs with the same markings)

Got a Schmid FCG from someone for a friend's build which were said to be from a Colt LPK, so just checking to see if they are COLT springs, OR Add Ons?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Eta: pic belongs to G&R.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#45]
I have never seen a black Colt hammer or trigger spring.  

I have seen a few 6920s with full auto profile hammers but aside from that, they’ve all had notched hammers.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Spikes
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have never seen a black Colt hammer or trigger spring.  

I have seen a few 6920s with full auto profile hammers but aside from that, they’ve all had notched hammers.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278546/F4F67B71-A87D-49A6-9B46-79CCB69806E5-1839898.jpg
View Quote

Thanks,

What exactly is Full Auto profile on the hammer??? Can u attach of pic of F/A vs Notched? I'm a novice here...

Wondering if it was a spare set of springs, got an identical one in an Aero LPK that has silver colored springs rather than brass. Looks as if that's the color of the springs if you buy the Colt Trigger by itself.

Wondering if I should just use a spare set of Anderson springs from a botched FCG, as long as it wouldn't affect the pull/weight. (Or from a CMMG or PSA that has an S on one or 2 parts, whichever of the 2 may have the best springs for a nice pull)
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Preface - I didn't read a single post.

RRA makes hands down the nicest milspec trigger out there.  Compared to something like aero, cmmg, or PSA it feels like a Geissele.

I always use their lpks because of the consistent quality of parts.
View Quote

Well, crap... That's not making this decision any easier.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971

Eta: pic belongs to G&R.

That one has the tail for the auto sear.

These are normal Colt semi hammers.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I was never a trigger snob till I shot a HSNM.  That changed everything.  Now all my precision rifles have a HSNM and all my others have MBT2s.  

I will say, will practice, you can make a stock trigger decent.  JP springs and polish the contact areas
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top