Quoted:
BTT, TEST STARTED!!!!

Simple Green Experiment

DAY 1, Saturday 2/25/2005:
WOW, soaking a whole year and no problems
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:00:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Some of the guys on GLOCK Talk have mentioned scraping the rifle and buying a whole new upper and lower.  This isn't necessary is it?

Bro, you're fine.  You rinsed all the Simple Green out right?  Then you dried your AR.  Do you see any rust now?  No? Then you got out all the water.  To alleviate your paranoia, get your rifle, field strip it and remove the handguards.  Set it in front of a space heater, or you home's heating vent  for an hour or so.  The only possible moisture left will be whatever is in the atmosphere at that point.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I book marked the Simple Green Experiment webpage...can't wait to see what happens
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
With water?  That won't hurt it?  Can I not just clean it again with oil and cleaner?

This is a military grade rifle designed for the roughest environment on EARTH,,, the Battlefield. NO water wont hurt it. Are you related to the guy who had the MAJOR problem with a scratch on his lower???
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#8]
lmao...not related.  That is funny though
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I book marked the Simple Green Experiment webpage...can't wait to see what happens

I think that you will be waiting a long time for very little results.

Punani:  I hope you cover the container.  The water in the SG will evaporate if you don't.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:46:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Will update tonight!
I hadn't covered it, if the level is down, I'll use new Simple Green.

Thanks for the date-booboo Twonami, I can't seem to get that right

-Edit: Update is on-line!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#11]
BUMP!!

Day 3 is posted, changes are visible on test pieces!!!

Experiment
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#12]
looks like the test is showing. Rinse real well after use and do not have any SG left on al.

or to be safe stick to approved cleaners.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#13]
The anodizing is showing more results quicker than I thought.

Keep the experiment going, very interesting.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#14]
So far my rifle hasn't shown any discoloration or anodizing disapearing.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So far my rifle hasn't shown any discoloration or anodizing disapearing.

Do realize that the pats have been submerged for almost 4 days now, you rifle has been exposed for only a fraction of that
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#16]
You're not screwed unless you leave the receiver in the Simple Green for an extended period of time. It won't hurt steel, but it WILL eat aluminum.

Tack
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:40:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You're not screwed unless you leave the receiver in the Simple Green for an extended period of time. It won't hurt steel, but it WILL eat aluminum.

Tack

Actually no. If you do not flush out all SG you will be in trouble. It wont happen over night, but repeatted use will be bad.  

Rember USAF banned its use from Airmen that were using the stuff and not rinsing the aircraft well enough. SG found its' way into joints, seams, and rivits. causing all kinds of damage.

one time use with a water flush you wont see damage. Keep failing to get all the SG out and murfy will win.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:41:37 AM EDT
[#18]
I received an email from Simple Green in which they stated that the new Extreme Simple Green for aircraft would not be harmful to the aluminum on an M16/AR15 rifle.  Anybody going to try this theory?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:24:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I received an email from Simple Green in which they stated that the new Extreme Simple Green for aircraft would not be harmful to the aluminum on an M16/AR15 rifle.  Anybody going to try this theory?

I'll be wrapping up my initial simple green experiment soon, If I can get my hands on any Extreme Simple Green, I'll try it too!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top