[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Trying out something new, now...

https://i.imgur.com/iGjRl1Q.png
View Quote

Looks good!
Details?

Also, what ever happened, if anything, to the M4 and the SOPMOD braces someone else was working on?
I think it was back on page 6 that a member made one with nylon x.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#2]
See below
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Trying out something new, now...

https://i.imgur.com/iGjRl1Q.png
View Quote

Put me down for one of these when ready. Need for a N-23 build
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#4]

The cut down N23 version I make is pretty popular.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

That's really close to what I'm looking for. Is it fixed position or adjustable?
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's really close to what I'm looking for. Is it fixed position or adjustable?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Adjustable. It uses regulars carbine hardware and lever. It is designed around the LWRCI Ultra Compact Individual Weapon stock kit, which is one inch shorter than a regular carbine buffer tube.

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#8]

A few more braces destined for new homes.
Offscreen: five more braces that were just assembled
When it comes to the N23 brace, it’s comin’, hold your horses! Getting these things printing consistently is one thing...
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Just sent my payment Red!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Adjustable. It uses regulars carbine hardware and lever. It is designed around the LWRCI Ultra Compact Individual Weapon stock kit, which is one inch shorter than a regular carbine buffer tube.

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/62D4FC8D-3F75-40D3-8211-D3CD99E6588C-scaled.jpeg
View Quote

Sent you a msg
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:19:58 AM EDT
[#11]
FWIW I have one of these on my Blade. Gosh, it makes shooting my pistol, just like they show on their website, a lot easier.

https://www.dirtyjdesigns.com/products/devoid-plug-for-shockwave-blade-brace

Unlike some printed ones that are a hard plastic, this is more of a maleable rubber-like compound that works great.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
FWIW I have one of these on my Blade. Gosh, it makes shooting my pistol, just like they show on their website, a lot easier.

https://www.dirtyjdesigns.com/products/devoid-plug-for-shockwave-blade-brace

Unlike some printed ones that are a hard plastic, this is more of a maleable rubber-like compound that works great.
View Quote

The problem is that those are literally textured pads that are meant to turn a brace INTO a stock as they do modify the device. The Devoid Plug especially got side-eyed quite hard by the ATF so there’s this big ol’ warning on every listing; ”This plug may constitute a re-design of the pistol brace. We recommend only installing on rifles with a barrel length 16" or above or on registered SBR's.’
Texturing on the back of a brace in general is considered a big no-no and I’m still surprised these guys haven’t been shut down yet... but it’s probably due to that warning that kinda-sorta advises that you don’t actually use those on pistols, lmao.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Naaaaw. Really? I'm pretty sure it's textured so that as you brace it at your side between your elbow and torso, it allows better control. Yes. I'm fairly certain this is exactly what they had in mind.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I need one of these, is there a long waitlist op?
Tried to send a pm but your inbox is full.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Email me at [email protected] if you'd like one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:25:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Incoming, thanks Red.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Emailed!
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Just found ASA filament and it is turning out fantastic prints right off the printer.

Link Posted: 3/24/2021 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Dumb question but how do you use it as a brace? Is there a velcro strap that you supply yourself?
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Payment sent for brace. Can't wait to get it. Thanks Red
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#21]
This will be perfect until I can Form 1 my Diemaco clones. Problem is, is that the new EOs might make it pointless? I thought about using the lever from my Brownells/B5 CAR-15 stock if I can find a metal XM177 coated lever to clone an early fiberlite Diemaco stock...
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:41:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Are you still selling these if so I would like to snag one from you .  If you could im me  so I can get payment to you thank you
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 4:25:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Trying out a new filament, less glossy and a hair harder to print, but overall looks smoother. The next batch is definitely getting made in this stuff, fits in a lot better with standard black polymer furniture.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Trying out a new filament, less glossy and a hair harder to print, but overall looks smoother. The next batch is definitely getting made in this stuff, fits in a lot better with standard black polymer furniture.
https://i.imgur.com/p0YzSol.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for helping me find a spot to put my money! Sending you an email sometime this AM, bro.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 1:34:28 AM EDT
[#25]
That looks great! Like an early XM177 design. Are those going to be available On the AR180 website?
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Yo Red! Tried to send you a message on acquiring a brace but your mail box is full.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been working on this for awhile. I think I finally got it where I am happy with it.

Link Posted: 5/27/2021 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#28]
A few people have asked about braces recently but never followed up soooo... Still got two more in this current batch people have yet to claim!
And just so folks don’t have to ask, price is still $70 completely assembled, and my email is still [email protected]!
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#29]
E-mail sent.

Sarge

Payment sent.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#30]
If there's one left, I'd like it!  Email inbound.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Got one of Red’s in the mail today, I’m very impressed!
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I got mine as well, very professional looking! I’m amazed that the 3D printers can do something like that. In my Dads day he would have machined molds and poured it, or had it injection molded. (My Dad was a pattern maker, and was doing work way before CNC and 3D were ever heard of) I grew up around stuff like this being made, only it was done entirely different.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#33]
And.... I think I'm about 99% done!

Link Posted: 7/2/2021 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/NmvlMYB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/akMEJJM.jpg
View Quote

Outstanding, looks great!  Love the waffle mags

CD
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks fantastic. I'm glad you put that N23 to good use. Love the triangular hand guards!
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Details on the handguards, please - full triangles or the carbine length?
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Details on the handguards, please - full triangles or the carbine length?
View Quote

I had these specially made. Contact Bill at SMF Tactical.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Looks fantastic. I'm glad you put that N23 to good use. Love the triangular hand guards!
View Quote

Thanks! The brace works and looks perfect with the rest of the retro build. Even faked a few people out until they looked closer.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I had these specially made. Contact Bill at SMF Tactical.
View Quote

Ahhh, I thought that looked familiar - did you post this on on the Retro AR subreddit at some point?
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Ahhh, I thought that looked familiar - did you post this on on the Retro AR subreddit at some point?
View Quote

I have no idea what that is, so I'm sure I didn't post it. But who knows if somebody took my pic. FYI, these pics were taken this morning and is a homage to the recoilweb N-23 article from 2017
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 7:49:10 PM EDT
[#41]
A while back, someone had posted an N-23-type shorty with ultrachopped triangles on Reddit, in their Retro AR subforum (which they call "subreddits") - I'd asked that fella about them as well, and they were done by... uhm, I forget the name of the shop.

If I wasn't already building both an N-23 and a LaFrance M16k, both as 601 as I can pull off, I'd be really tempted to do something similar to yours (and the other dude's), without the proto upper and with either an entry stock or (preferably) a 607 two-position collapsible.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very, very cool...

Reminds me of those mini electric airsoft guns
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Very, very cool...

Reminds me of those mini electric airsoft guns
https://airsoft.tiger111hk.com/images/productimg/201708/TM-SP-MINI-M16-1.jpg
View Quote

Yup, that's the look I was going for! Remember those toys as well
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
A while back, someone had posted an N-23-type shorty with ultrachopped triangles on Reddit, in their Retro AR subforum (which they call "subreddits") - I'd asked that fella about them as well, and they were done by... uhm, I forget the name of the shop.
View Quote

And another sidejacking of the thread, because I found the other one, also done by SMF.

The Noisy Cricket

Quote from the fella posting it:

"I have virtually zero skills when it comes to working with my hands, so they are a special request from the folks at SMF Tactical out in Vegas, who did at least one for themselves as a display piece before I contacted them, asking them to do another pair for me.

The pair that Bill at SMF made for me still has heat shields too."
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Just noticed the discussion about the N23 here; a while back during the first initial run of braces I made a few N23-style ones just to mess around, I ended up sending one off as a random goodie to one of the people who bought some of my earliest braces, and I may still have the file around here somewhere.
With a little luck, and if anyone wants one, I can print a few of those as well.
Speaking of which, the N1-style brace is moving along slowly but surely, a lot of the problems with 3D-printing are only visible AFTER the dang thing is printed, or during the process itself. Just gotta keep printing and tweaking and printing and tweaking and printing and tweaking until I find settings that come out just perfectly...
And again, it's always awesome to see other people's braces inspired by my own. While everyone is undoubtedly still worried about the ATF cracking down on braces, and at the risk of sounding a little bit selfish, the more 'potentially non-compliant' braces out there, the less effective 'it'll only affect a FEW million people' is as an excuse for any possible legal changes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Email sent to Red regarding the XM177.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Dumb question but how do you use it as a brace? Is there a velcro strap that you supply yourself?
View Quote
It's a blade style brace. Think KAK or the new Magpul. There are plenty out there without Velcro.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Paging Red McCloud and BigRix.  Please check your emails. I need one of the N1 braces.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Shot you an email @Ex11A. Found it in my spam folder.

Link Posted: 9/5/2021 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#50]

It took many, many, many iterations and minus a small ringing issue in the middle, my first N1 brace has been successfully printed! Finally.
Helps that I bought a whole nother printer for these :P.
I’ll open orders soon, just gotta make sure they come out right in the black filament now!
Page / 12
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top