Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@Kevyn

Nice looking build sir!
View Quote

Thank you!

Had it on the bench, all sighted in, ready to go.

It's easy to forget how light & handy these older style A1's are. Really fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#3]
It was the original AR15 that still draws my attention. Light, easy to handle. Seems like the later ARs have gone away from being light.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#4]
My first retro build is complete! Kind of XM-16E1ish

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#6]

I've seen this one in person and the fit and finish is really nice.

Well done RogerRoger !!

(Humble dad brag)
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I just think the A1s have a "cool" factor about them more than the later models.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Snake-in-the-Grass:
I just think the A1s have a "cool" factor about them more than the later models.

View Quote

I have truly learned to appreciate the a1
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#9]
The Retro guns are awesome, I love my A1'ish clone.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#10]
My Retro A1’ish rifle.
NDS upper
Brownell’s 1/7 20” barrel.
LaRue MBT trigger.

She is a sweet shooter.
Big thanks to RogerRoger for finding
the cool surplus M16 furniture that’s
on it now !!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By EMSflyer:
My Retro A1’ish rifle.
NDS upper
Brownell’s 1/7 20” barrel.
LaRue MBT trigger.

She is a sweet shooter.
Big thanks to RogerRoger for finding
the cool surplus M16 furniture that’s 
on it now !!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46283/61B14D0F-638B-4172-8A26-1B1E5935D545_jpe-1394633.JPG
View Quote

Sheeeeeeeeeee-it Bro.  That's cool beans.  I like.  Your pic inspires me to do some stencil numbers on my stock  It'll be faux, I know, I don't care, but it will add to the cool factor.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:02:44 AM EDT
[#12]
A1/C7 Upper- Tear Drop Forward Assist and A2 sight aperture
Knights Lower, SBR
*Spoiler Alert* Colt Socom 14.5" 10/07 C MP Unfired, NOS.
Just need to track down an era correct N1 and the skinny colt hand guards... and maybe an Aimpoint.

Side Project: FNMI 20" in an A2 Receiver

Link Posted: 6/27/2020 10:24:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Bump.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 11:01:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Where did you get the mount for that 203?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#16]
1966 Colt XM16E1 reweld (left) 1977 Colt SP1 with A1 upper (right)

1966 Colt XM16E1 reweld

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
1966 Colt XM16E1 reweld (left) 1977 Colt SP1 with A1 upper (right)

https://i.imgur.com/id6iFA5.jpg

1966 Colt XM16E1 reweld

https://i.imgur.com/kE4FKqD.jpg
View Quote

That reweld is hot! I wish I could find an intact magwell. Specifically for a GAU-5A/A is anyone has one laying around lol.

Here is my humble submission. Mostly all colt parts except for the 80% lower and the BCG. Trying to find a place to get her anodized now.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That reweld is hot! I wish I could find an intact magwell. Specifically for a GAU-5A/A is anyone has one laying around lol.
View Quote

Thanks!  There’s an H&R M16A1 and an XM16E1 magwell on gunbroker right now they end today.

I look forward to seeing your build when it’s finished, I have an early XM engraved 80 and I have a GM and H&R stamped 80 on order with Russian Paint.  

I’ve heard nothing but good things about SNF finishing for XM Grey anodizing so you might want to look into them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks!  There’s an H&R M16A1 and an XM16E1 magwell on gunbroker right now they end today.

I look forward to seeing your build when it’s finished, I have an early XM engraved 80 and I have a GM and H&R stamped 80 on order with Russian Paint.  

I’ve heard nothing but good things about SNF finishing for XM Grey anodizing so you might want to look into them.
View Quote

Good find on the magwell auctions.

I sent SNF an email hopefully they can help. Their site doesn't say anything about grey colors though. Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#20]
This my clone build, its as close as I get to an original right now.
12.5 Fulton Armory upper
Anderson lower
4.3 inch Moderator, two position buffer, 6 hole hand guards and stock from Retro Rifles
Pistol grip is original from Sarco.
Sling is off of my old 2 qrt canteen.

EA3D49D1-A684-4B83-9C58-D1A97A17A4EF by fmfmarine Devildog, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

It will be interesting to see what the H&R ends up going for.  Not to many of those around.  I think only about 250,000 were made.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I love this retro stuff so much.  If I wanted to clone a GAU-5 A/A, along the lines of Son Tay raiders, would you all just grab a slick side upper from Brownells?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I love this retro stuff so much.  If I wanted to clone a GAU-5 A/A, along the lines of Son Tay raiders, would you all just grab a slick side upper from Brownells?
View Quote

The Brownells uppers look pretty nice. Definately gets the job done if you don't want to hunt for the parts.

Here is mine. Not really original but I love the pristine look.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I sent SNF an email hopefully they can help. Their site doesn't say anything about grey colors though. Fingers crossed.
View Quote

They definitely do grey colors, I’ve seen posts on here before and I spoke with a guy who works for them at a gun show last year about it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It will be interesting to see what the H&R ends up going for.  Not to many of those around.  I think only about 250,000 were made.
View Quote

Agreed! It started out at $125 and in a few hours it was up to $340 where it’s stayed.  You hardly ever see them come up if I didn’t order a Russian paint 80% I’d probably put a bid in on it
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They definitely do grey colors, I’ve seen posts on here before and I spoke with a guy who works for them at a gun show last year about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The Brownells uppers look pretty nice. Definately gets the job done if you don't want to hunt for the parts.

Here is mine. Not really original but I love the pristine look.

https://i.imgur.com/Q70il7H.jpg
View Quote

That does look good.  I wish it came in complete upper form.  Although I could spend time building it, I’d prefer someone else do that for me lol.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:32:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Sadly, last retro build I've done.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Bump for my sake. I’m enjoying the pictures .
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Bump for my sake. I’m enjoying the pictures .
View Quote

Nice name lol
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#31]
My retro build started off a blemish Brownells upper and a NoDak lower. the furniture is a combination of reverb GI and modern. The barrel is Del-Ton 1x9 with a A1 flash hider. The internals are mostly parts bin and the trigger has been polished up by me with a JP 4lb spring kit.

IMG_3602 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

IMG_3878 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

IMG_3874 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

With the A-TEAM
IMG_3948 by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#32]
nice

wish brownells still had those uppers in stock
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I took my XM16E1 to the range this past weekend for a function test (this was the first time I shot it) and it did AWESOME!!  I forgot to bring eye pro so I had to use a pair of big ass googles so I couldn’t test groupings or site it in, so I took full advantage of my binary trigger and dumped some mags LOL!  Anyways I decided to put together a video of the build from start to finish hope y’all like it

Link Posted: 7/21/2020 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Can I play ?
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Youve had that for a long time
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I took my XM16E1 to the range this past weekend for a function test (this was the first time I shot it) and it did AWESOME!!  I forgot to bring eye pro so I had to use a pair of big ass googles so I couldn’t test groupings or site it in, so I took full advantage of my binary trigger and dumped some mags LOL!  Anyways I decided to put together a video of the build from start to finish hope y’all like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMhgzAjgwXg
View Quote

Good job doing that video OP.  These retros are more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 12:08:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Here's another one.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#38]
My SP1 build. All Colt with a Nodak Spud 601 lower.

Link Posted: 7/22/2020 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My SP1 build. All Colt with a Nodak Spud 601 lower.

https://imgur.com/jbIsLzR.jpg
View Quote

Love those sexy long rifles Bro.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#40]
607:
Attachment Attached File

606:
Attachment Attached File

A couple of 601s:
Attachment Attached File

636:
Attachment Attached File

Bonus - PSG1: (look for this in the upcoming issue of Guns & Ammo "Retro"); they will have several from my collection in the magazine)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#41]

733 & XM-ish builds.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/BQZM3nn.jpg

733 & XM-ish builds.
View Quote

info on both

holy shit

that is my dream pair
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Nothing to be sad there. Very nice
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#45]
They both still need some work, (A1 Birdcage for one of them and I'd love to find some better furniture).  What model they would be representing I haven't a clue. Nodak lowers, original A1 unfired replacement barrels,

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#46]
First and foremost I owe a lot of thanks to everyone on this forum who helped me through this build even without you knowing. There is so much information already in these pages that I never had to ask a question, just searched for it. This was my FIRST ever build and as you already know, there is another build well underway right behind it.

I purchased the Grade B parts kit from Royal Tiger Imports, they were great to deal with. It was all very usable, the handguard has some cracks and missing teeth but I like it looking like that. The rear sight drum was broken so I had to get one of those. I sourced the sling and bayonet off of gunbroker, and the 20 round mag off the EE here. Brownells 1/12 M16A1 barrel assembly and of course, a NoDak lower receiver that I weathered just a bit. Total cost to the penny came out to be $1,127.75.

How did it shoot? Like a dream! Took no time at all to zero it in. It shot very smooth and the ejection pattern was so consistent in the 3-4 o'clock that I had a pile of brass in the same spot on the ground. It had no malfunctions which as told by my Vietnam veteran dad was historically not correct haha. But in the end he was the inspiration for this build as he served in the 199th Light Infantry Brigade from 69-70. He may not ever want to see or shoot this gun but that's okay, I really really enjoy it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
First and foremost I owe a lot of thanks to everyone on this forum who helped me through this build even without you knowing. There is so much information already in these pages that I never had to ask a question, just searched for it. This was my FIRST ever build and as you already know, there is another build well underway right behind it.

I purchased the Grade B parts kit from Royal Tiger Imports, they were great to deal with. It was all very usable, the handguard has some cracks and missing teeth but I like it looking like that. The rear sight drum was broken so I had to get one of those. I sourced the sling and bayonet off of gunbroker, and the 20 round mag off the EE here. Brownells 1/12 M16A1 barrel assembly and of course, a NoDak lower receiver that I weathered just a bit. Total cost to the penny came out to be $1,127.75.

https://i.imgur.com/ArqAAYE.jpg

How did it shoot? Like a dream! Took no time at all to zero it in. It shot very smooth and the ejection pattern was so consistent in the 3-4 o'clock that I had a pile of brass in the same spot on the ground. It had no malfunctions which as told by my Vietnam veteran dad was historically not correct haha. But in the end he was the inspiration for this build as he served in the 199th Light Infantry Brigade from 69-70. He may not ever want to see or shoot this gun but that's okay, I really really enjoy it.
View Quote

Nicely Done, the weathering on the lower appears to match the upper very well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They both still need some work, (A1 Birdcage for one of them and I'd love to find some better furniture).  What model they would be representing I haven't a clue. Nodak lowers, original A1 unfixed replacement barrels,
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66241/18A64C2C-44FD-412D-98D8-D1A0A5E9BFE6-1520861.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66241/78506B10-99A2-4B9D-AE6D-249C9CC4C316-1520862.jpg
View Quote

What are the forge codes on the uppers? For reference, prior to 1972, there were no forge codes on the upper receivers. There was some proof marks, As far as forge codes go, 1972-1973 (CK and some CM) and 1974-1982 (CH). What are the markings on the barrels? Between the barrel markings and forge codes on the upper receivers, they will denote what configuration a particular variation a M16A1 would have. From early 1967-late 1967, the M16A1 had a 3-prong FH. From late 1967-1982, A1 birdcage FH. From 1967-1970, they had D type stocks. These are some of the basic differences. Barrels can vary from C MP B, C MP C, to C MP CHROME BORE depending on the era the M16A1 was made.

Here are the M16A1 clones I built.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/ArqAAYE.jpg

View Quote

Solid story and rifle, well done! I built mine to remember my FIL as well, he’s gone but it makes me smile. Same with my 1911.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#50]
This is my clone of the Colt 733s used my McCauley and Shiherlis in the downtown L.A. shootout scene in "Heat". I cloned this using movie still shots and file pictures from Internet Movie Firearms Database. This is a second upper that I assembled for use with my Mk18-ish SBR lower. The upper is made from Brownell's retro parts (upper receiver, barrel assembly, and flash hider), take off hand guards from a S&W M&P15, and a bcg I had in my parts box. I switch out the stock for the proper Colt N marked one when I use this upper. Decided to throw my USP9 in the pic since a USP9 was briefly visible in McCauley's tac vest in the opening armored truck heist scene. And of course Benjamins make any pic better!
Attachment Attached File
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top