Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
AR Sponsor
Previous Page
/ 7
Next Page
10/8/2019 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Told you guys the EAB would be the way to go. It is simple to tell from looking at the design alone.
10/8/2019 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quote History
Quoted:
Told you guys the EAB would be the way to go. It is simple to tell from looking at the design alone.
View Quote
Yep I ordered two more, they will stay in my SBR setups.
10/8/2019 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is the one inch silicone bumper I bought on Amazon for isolating audio equipment from vibration.  I screwed it onto the end of a Tubbs Flat Wire Spring.  It is fairly soft, springy material.  Doesn't add to the length of the spring very much so bho may still work.  Should stay put since it is in there tight.

Have no idea how a springy bumper like this at the bottom of the tube will work.  I'll try it with a Spike's T3 buffer.  Also looking forward to trying the EAB and LARB bumper caps on the T3 when I get them.   I am thinking I won't notice much felt recoil difference other than a bit softer but better reacquisition as Stuart reported.  The full auto rate of fire could be impacted noticeably.  I can report on full auto rate of fire but recoil will be subjective.  Should be a fun day at the range once I get all the other pieces parts in.

Attached File
10/8/2019 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quote History
Quoted:
I've got a DPM RRS buffer on the way for evaluation and Amphibian has agreed to test it out vs. hydraulic.  I would like to see it compared to the LARB buffer as well.  I believe mbell? is getting a LARB buffer to test so if he is game I'll send it to him after Amphibian has completed his tests, or mbell can send the LARB to Amphibian, either way is fine with me.

The buffer is expensive and there is no test data out there that I could find or videos other than by the OEM, DPM.  I suggested that the exposure on AR-15.com and video of testing could help with sales.  They readily agreed to send me one.  Very fast reply and DPM must have high confidence that their buffer will perform well.

Here is the data on weights:

With light weight 117 grams (4.13 oz.)
With heavy weight 127 grams (4.48 oz)

--------------------------------------------
Dear Rick,

Thank you very much. Yes I provide a sample for you to test and advertise it in social media.
The tracking number is : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  with Hellenic Post office, (USPS in U.S.A.)
I send also a spring and adaptor. Attention the adaptor is only for long tubes. For carbine size tubes use only the spring and the buffer.
If you use the adaptor in the carbine tube the buffer will be broken.
Below is the products I send.

https://dpmsystems.com/ar-15-223-recoil-buffer-assembly
https://dpmsystems.com/ar-15-set-universal-adaptor-spring

Please let me know once you receive it.

Best Regards

Panagiotis Mantas
DPM Systems Technologies Ltd.
Mikras Asias 37
Argiroupolis 164 52
Athens Greece
Tel/Fax: +30 210 96 17 153
E-mail: [email protected]

Web site: www.dpmsystems.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that I still haven't gotten a reply from any of the 3 US suppliers that I contacted.  The OEM in Greece replied in less than 24 hours.

Also posting this info in the other thread I started more on topic for the subject.  Test results should probably go here:
DPM RRS vs. Hydraulic vs. ?
View Quote
Great work on getting the DPM for testing, thanks for doing that man. I'm excited to see how it performs vs hydraulics.
10/8/2019 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quote History
Quoted:
Just got back from the range. Test gun was a M&P 15X upper from early 2000s with 1:9 chrome lined m-4 cut barrel, A2 flash hider, and carbine gas system with 2 MOA Sig Romeo 7 put on an Aero/M&P lower (original lower was SBR'd for my work gun). As expected the carbine buffer with no changes to it had the most dot movement and perceived recoil both from bench resting on mag and standing. All three buffers performed about the exact same from the mag rest on a bench so much so I could tell no difference. I'm a LEO so mag rest shooting and standing are the most likely positions I'll shoot from in my city anyway. The LARB equipped buffer when standing felt to be a sharper straight push back into my body but dot movement was maybe by eye 25% less roughly (wild guess) in all than standard carbine. The EAB was the same on dot movement reduction of by eye 25% but the push while also more straight back like the LARB it felt softer but not drastically so, just enough I could tell. Between the LARB and EAB I would have to go EAB for the softer feel and easier install considering the issue I had with my LARB but YMMV. I'll have to try both on my A5 buffer guns I use for duty but not till I can fix the LARB's roll pin hole. For me in my job that lesser dot movement is worth it. Of Note I shot much better groupings with the LARB and EAB when keeping up the same rate of fire so it seems they made it easier for me to properly line up my shots in an event where I have to fire faster than a static range.

EDIT: I was able to fix the damage carbine buffer, though the hole is oblong now on one side to fit the LARB a larger pin worked to put the old bumper back on. Still working on making a fixture out of wood to fix the LARB hole alignment. That will have to wait as my lunch break is ending and my partner is covering for me.
View Quote
Awesome, thank you for testing these.

Good to hear both buffer tips were able to make a difference in terms of dot movement. That does validate that hypothesis that an improved buffer tip will help with AR performance. And at $14, thats about as cheap as it gets for AR upgrades.

I had suspected the EAB would be more effective, just looking at its shape / reports that it was softer material.
10/8/2019 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quote History
Quoted:
Here is the one inch silicone bumper I bought on Amazon for isolating audio equipment from vibration.  I screwed it onto the end of a Tubbs Flat Wire Spring.  It is fairly soft, springy material.  Doesn't add to the length of the spring very much so bho may still work.  Should stay put since it is in there tight.

Have no idea how a springy bumper like this at the bottom of the tube will work.  I'll try it with a Spike's T3 buffer.  Also looking forward to trying the EAB and LARB bumper caps on the T3 when I get them.   I am thinking I won't notice much felt recoil difference other than a bit softer but better reacquisition as Stuart reported.  The full auto rate of fire could be impacted noticeably.  I can report on full auto rate of fire but recoil will be subjective.  Should be a fun day at the range once I get all the other pieces parts in.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/374164/IMG_20191008_140800_jpg-1117223.JPG
View Quote
That silicone bumper actually looks really good.

I'm excited to see how this performs / if it allows the gun to cycle.

If this does end up helping recoil, that will be awesome. Improved buffer tip + buffer tube bumper could become the new standard.
10/8/2019 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quote History
Quoted:

That silicone bumper actually looks really good.

I'm excited to see how this performs / if it allows the gun to cycle.

If this does end up helping recoil, that will be awesome. Improved buffer tip + buffer tube bumper could become the new standard.
View Quote
It will never be the new standard. Too many people in this hobby with the mentality "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

With that said I agree it looks very interesting! I can't wait to hear a report on this.
10/8/2019 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quote History
Quoted:

It will never be the new standard. Too many people in this hobby with the mentality "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

With that said I agree it looks very interesting! I can't wait to hear a report on this.
View Quote
The "ain't broke don't fix it" crowd can fight off the horde with flintlock, smooth bore, and round ball ammo.

I sometimes wonder why some of us (like me) can't leave well enough alone.  Probably OCD.  Obsessive Compulsive Designing.
10/8/2019 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Tried out my LARB in my 12.5 Hodge with a Vox K suppressor, H2 and white springco spring. Didn't really feel any difference. Might get another H2 buffer with a standard tip and try both one after the other.
10/8/2019 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quote History
Quoted:
The "ain't broke don't fix it" crowd can fight off the horde with flintlock, smooth bore, and round ball ammo.

I sometimes wonder why some of us (like me) can't leave well enough alone.  Probably OCD.  Obsessive Compulsive Designing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will never be the new standard. Too many people in this hobby with the mentality "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

With that said I agree it looks very interesting! I can't wait to hear a report on this.
The "ain't broke don't fix it" crowd can fight off the horde with flintlock, smooth bore, and round ball ammo.

I sometimes wonder why some of us (like me) can't leave well enough alone.  Probably OCD.  Obsessive Compulsive Designing.
I mean, 'not leaving well enough alone' is why a 1960's rifle is still state of the art in 2019. Relentless incremental improvement is where its at.

What I find exciting about this buffer / buffer tip / buffer tube bumper research is that it's pretty much one of the final frontiers for AR improvement.

-Accuracy / barrels can't really be improved, beyond perhaps a more widespread adoption of tapered / optimal contour barrels such as used by Hodge / Daniel Defense S2W by other manufacturers.

-Muzzle devices have been perfected in all flavors; between the Warcomp, PA EFAB, and PA M72, theres a optimal level of flash / recoil / blast for all tastes.

-Aftermarket triggers are as light and crisp as they can get

-Handguards have been pretty much perfected with MLOK; perhaps theres a bit more to improve on rigidity but not much.

-Lower receivers have been perfected by LWRCi/LMT's fully ambi lowers; perhaps a Ambi lower with a more pronounced mag funnel.

-There's a stock and grip combination for any taste

-With adjustable gas blocks, optimized gas port sizes, and midlength/intermediate gas length, there's not much more to to with the gas systen; perhaps a more bombproof / combat suitable adjustable gas system.

With all of that more or less covered, the last tweak that I can see is creating a fully optimized buffer system for reduced recoil, reduced vibration, and reduced ROF.

Can't stop until every single part has been optimized
10/8/2019 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quote History
Quoted:

I mean, 'not leaving well enough alone' is why a 1960's rifle is still state of the art in 2019. Relentless incremental improvement is where its at.

What I find exciting about this buffer / buffer tip / buffer tube bumper research is that it's pretty much one of the final frontiers for AR improvement.

-Accuracy / barrels can't really be improved, beyond perhaps a more widespread adoption of tapered / optimal contour barrels such as used by Hodge / Daniel Defense S2W by other manufacturers.

-Muzzle devices have been perfected in all flavors; between the Warcomp, PA EFAB, and PA M72, theres a optimal level of flash / recoil / blast for all tastes.

-Aftermarket triggers are as light and crisp as they can get

-Handguards have been pretty much perfected with MLOK; perhaps theres a bit more to improve on rigidity but not much.

-Lower receivers have been perfected by LWRCi/LMT's fully ambi lowers; perhaps a Ambi lower with a more pronounced mag funnel.

-There's a stock and grip combination for any taste

-With adjustable gas blocks, optimized gas port sizes, and midlength/intermediate gas length, there's not much more to to with the gas systen; perhaps a more bombproof / combat suitable adjustable gas system.

With all of that more or less covered, the last tweak that I can see is creating a fully optimized buffer system for reduced recoil, reduced vibration, and reduced ROF.
View Quote
You left out the kitchen sink.  
10/8/2019 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quote History
Quoted:  I mean, 'not leaving well enough alone' is why a 1960's rifle is still state of the art in 2019. Relentless incremental improvement is where its at.

What I find exciting about this buffer / buffer tip / buffer tube bumper research is that it's pretty much one of the final frontiers for AR improvement.

-Accuracy / barrels can't really be improved, beyond perhaps a more widespread adoption of tapered / optimal contour barrels such as used by Hodge / Daniel Defense S2W by other manufacturers.

-Muzzle devices have been perfected in all flavors; between the Warcomp, PA EFAB, and PA M72, theres a optimal level of flash / recoil / blast for all tastes.

-Aftermarket triggers are as light and crisp as they can get

-Handguards have been pretty much perfected with MLOK; perhaps theres a bit more to improve on rigidity but not much.

-Lower receivers have been perfected by LWRCi/LMT's fully ambi lowers; perhaps a Ambi lower with a more pronounced mag funnel.

-There's a stock and grip combination for any taste

-With adjustable gas blocks, optimized gas port sizes, and midlength/intermediate gas length, there's not much more to to with the gas systen; perhaps a more bombproof / combat suitable adjustable gas system.

With all of that more or less covered, the last tweak that I can see is creating a fully optimized buffer system for reduced recoil, reduced vibration, and reduced ROF.

Can't stop until every single part has been optimized
View Quote
There's an entire thread of lightweight parts - folks have gotten ARs down to the 3 lb mark.  So there's plenty of room for improvement.

We have made lowers out of steel, bronze, magnesium, aluminum, nylon, plastic, 2-part epoxy, and wood.  Still waiting on the Lego lower.

There's only 1 electric trigger on the market so far.  There's a handful of sights w/ the rangefinder computer and laser built into the optic, but they're still expensive, heavy, and not 1X power.

New calibers are being squeezed into the receiver all the time, including shotshells.
10/8/2019 11:49:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quote History
Quoted:

I mean, 'not leaving well enough alone' is why a 1960's rifle is still state of the art in 2019. Relentless incremental improvement is where its at.

What I find exciting about this buffer / buffer tip / buffer tube bumper research is that it's pretty much one of the final frontiers for AR improvement.

-Accuracy / barrels can't really be improved, beyond perhaps a more widespread adoption of tapered / optimal contour barrels such as used by Hodge / Daniel Defense S2W by other manufacturers.

-Muzzle devices have been perfected in all flavors; between the Warcomp, PA EFAB, and PA M72, theres a optimal level of flash / recoil / blast for all tastes.

-Aftermarket triggers are as light and crisp as they can get

-Handguards have been pretty much perfected with MLOK; perhaps theres a bit more to improve on rigidity but not much.

-Lower receivers have been perfected by LWRCi/LMT's fully ambi lowers; perhaps a Ambi lower with a more pronounced mag funnel.

-There's a stock and grip combination for any taste

-With adjustable gas blocks, optimized gas port sizes, and midlength/intermediate gas length, there's not much more to to with the gas systen; perhaps a more bombproof / combat suitable adjustable gas system.

With all of that more or less covered, the last tweak that I can see is creating a fully optimized buffer system for reduced recoil, reduced vibration, and reduced ROF.

Can't stop until every single part has been optimized
View Quote
There's plenty of room left  to improve the gas system.
10/9/2019 12:07:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quote History
Quoted:
There's an entire thread of lightweight parts - folks have gotten ARs down to the 3 lb mark.  So there's plenty of room for improvement.

We have made lowers out of steel, bronze, magnesium, aluminum, nylon, plastic, 2-part epoxy, and wood.  Still waiting on the Lego lower.

There's only 1 electric trigger on the market so far.  There's a handful of sights w/ the rangefinder computer and laser built into the optic, but they're still expensive, heavy, and not 1X power.

New calibers are being squeezed into the receiver all the time, including shotshells.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:  I mean, 'not leaving well enough alone' is why a 1960's rifle is still state of the art in 2019. Relentless incremental improvement is where its at.

What I find exciting about this buffer / buffer tip / buffer tube bumper research is that it's pretty much one of the final frontiers for AR improvement.

-Accuracy / barrels can't really be improved, beyond perhaps a more widespread adoption of tapered / optimal contour barrels such as used by Hodge / Daniel Defense S2W by other manufacturers.

-Muzzle devices have been perfected in all flavors; between the Warcomp, PA EFAB, and PA M72, theres a optimal level of flash / recoil / blast for all tastes.

-Aftermarket triggers are as light and crisp as they can get

-Handguards have been pretty much perfected with MLOK; perhaps theres a bit more to improve on rigidity but not much.

-Lower receivers have been perfected by LWRCi/LMT's fully ambi lowers; perhaps a Ambi lower with a more pronounced mag funnel.

-There's a stock and grip combination for any taste

-With adjustable gas blocks, optimized gas port sizes, and midlength/intermediate gas length, there's not much more to to with the gas systen; perhaps a more bombproof / combat suitable adjustable gas system.

With all of that more or less covered, the last tweak that I can see is creating a fully optimized buffer system for reduced recoil, reduced vibration, and reduced ROF.

Can't stop until every single part has been optimized
There's an entire thread of lightweight parts - folks have gotten ARs down to the 3 lb mark.  So there's plenty of room for improvement.

We have made lowers out of steel, bronze, magnesium, aluminum, nylon, plastic, 2-part epoxy, and wood.  Still waiting on the Lego lower.

There's only 1 electric trigger on the market so far.  There's a handful of sights w/ the rangefinder computer and laser built into the optic, but they're still expensive, heavy, and not 1X power.

New calibers are being squeezed into the receiver all the time, including shotshells.
Well the lightweights parts list I think is another example that has been solved; are there any parts on the AR that don't have a lightweight option yet?

Electric triggers is a good example; thats definitely an option for improvement, especially if the electronic trigger communicates with with a future smart optic.

I'm not sure if new calibers and optics would count for optimizing the AR, in that neither are really changing the actual AR weapon system.
10/9/2019 12:21:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quote History
Quoted:  Well the lightweights parts list I think is another example that has been solved; are there any parts on the AR that don't have a lightweight option yet?

Electric triggers is a good example; thats definitely an option for improvement, especially if the electronic trigger communicates with with a future smart optic.

I'm not sure if new calibers and optics would count for optimizing the AR, in that neither are really changing the actual AR weapon system.
View Quote
I would say the .45 ACP side feed upper, the AR57 upper, and the new CMMG radial-delayed blowback bolt are radical variations on the standard AR.
10/9/2019 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Digital triggers have mechanical backup in case of dead battery right?  BATF will surely be looking at that innovation very closely.  I'll bet a good ET could print a ckt module to allow double, triple, or full auto fire.  Makes my spidey sense tingle a bit.  I'll bet they regulate the crap out of it.
10/9/2019 1:05:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quote History
Quoted:
Digital triggers have mechanical backup in case of dead battery right?  BATF will surely be looking at that innovation very closely.  I'll bet a good ET could print a ckt module to allow double, triple, or full auto fire.  Makes my spidey sense tingle a bit.  I'll bet they regulate the crap out of it.
View Quote
DigiTrigger is the company, and theirs does feature a mechanical backup. It's also programable between semi auto and binary as standard, with a variable RPM FA Mil/LEO version.

I tried loading their website now and it didn't load, ymmv:
https://digitrigger.com/
10/9/2019 1:07:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quote History
Quoted:
I would say the .45 ACP side feed upper, the AR57 upper, and the new CMMG radial-delayed blowback bolt are radical variations on the standard AR.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:  Well the lightweights parts list I think is another example that has been solved; are there any parts on the AR that don't have a lightweight option yet?

Electric triggers is a good example; thats definitely an option for improvement, especially if the electronic trigger communicates with with a future smart optic.

I'm not sure if new calibers and optics would count for optimizing the AR, in that neither are really changing the actual AR weapon system.
I would say the .45 ACP side feed upper, the AR57 upper, and the new CMMG radial-delayed blowback bolt are radical variations on the standard AR.
Yes, absolutely those would be serious changes to the AR mechanically.

When you had mentioned alternate calibers, I was thinking more traditional like .300 blk / 6.5 grendel / .224V, which really are just the same basic weapon but with a new barrel / bolt /mag.
10/9/2019 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quote History
Quoted:

The "ain't broke don't fix it" crowd can fight off the horde with flintlock, smooth bore, and round ball ammo.

I sometimes wonder why some of us (like me) can't leave well enough alone.  Probably OCD.  Obsessive Compulsive Designing.
View Quote
My line of work molded me into this. If something works there is always always a way to make it better. Bravo to what you are trying!
10/9/2019 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quote History
Quoted:  DigiTrigger is the company, and theirs does feature a mechanical backup. It's also programable between semi auto and binary as standard, with a variable RPM FA Mil/LEO version.

I tried loading their website now and it didn't load, ymmv:
https://digitrigger.com/
View Quote
Works fine now:  https://digitrigger.com/
10/9/2019 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quote History
Quoted:

Works fine now:  https://digitrigger.com/
View Quote
I posted a thread about this and have a couple questions.  If you can answer them please chime in.
Digital Trigger questions.
Questions in that thread are: Is that considered a Class 3 item by itself? Can the Digitrigger work with my RDIAS and would my MG stamp cover it?  How can it overcome mechanical limitations of buffer/spring/bcg for a selected RoF?
10/9/2019 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quote History
Quoted:
Tried out my LARB in my 12.5 Hodge with a Vox K suppressor, H2 and white springco spring. Didn't really feel any difference. Might get another H2 buffer with a standard tip and try both one after the other.
View Quote
Sorry, missed your post yesterday.

Thats a shame you didn't notice a difference with the LARB. I would say a comparison vs the regular H2 would be ideal as a basis of comparison just to confirm.
10/10/2019 2:20:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quote History
Quoted:

My line of work molded me into this. If something works there is always always a way to make it better. Bravo to what you are trying!
View Quote
This.  Ever since I've been a kid I've taken things apart and tried to improve them. Without that desire we would still be riding horses.  I simply can't leave things alone, sometimes to my detriment.  A few internal combustion engines have met their demise due to my experimentation, lol.
10/11/2019 3:49:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I only had 10 rounds to fire yesterday. Mk262 equivalent. Core15 16" carbine barrel, A2 hider, semi auto carrier, standard spring and buffer + LARB cap. Elbow-supported from the bench.

I didn't feel any thump in the back of the tube, but it wasn't like a short stroke. I could sense the full travel. The BCG return seemed a little snappier.

The first two rounds were single loaded - locked back on empty both times. Then I did mags of 2+6 - locked back on empty both times.

Like I expected it's not a stark difference, but it felt better. Tactilely, <5% effect.
10/11/2019 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quote History
Quoted:
I only had 10 rounds to fire yesterday. Mk262 equivalent. Core15 16" carbine barrel, A2 hider, semi auto carrier, standard spring and buffer + LARB cap. Elbow-supported from the bench.

I didn't feel any thump in the back of the tube, but it wasn't like a short stroke. I could sense the full travel. The BCG return seemed a little snappier.

The first two rounds were single loaded - locked back on empty both times. Then I did mags of 2+6 - locked back on empty both times.

Like I expected it's not a stark difference, but it felt better. Tactilely, <5% effect.
View Quote
Awesome, thanks for reporting in with your testing. Any bit of data we can get is helpful.

5% isn't a ton, but 'better' is definitely better, especially for a $14 part.

By comparison, the $100 Kynshot hydraulic buffer is advertised as reducing recoil by 20-30%, lets say 25%. Thats $4 per 1% of reduction. So at $2.8 per 1% of improvement with the LARB tip, thats a bargain

If you do get a chance, could you please try a bit of rapid fire? I suspect the dampener will show more effect while trying to track the sights during a 3-4 shot sequence. The Kynshot hydraulic buffer also mentions in their add copy that the most significant effects are noticed during rapid fire:

"The RB5000 KynSHOT Marksman Recoil Buffer AR15 Carbine reduces felt recoil by 20-30%, while largely eliminating muzzle rise.  To be clear: in this caliber, absolute recoil reduction is small.  However, the improvement in weapon accuracy – specifically second and third shot accuracy – is large as shooters report that their time to reacquire a target decreases, and in many cases never leaves their scope sights."
https://www.kyntec.com/product/rb5000-kynshot-marksman-recoil-buffer-ar15-carbine-1/
10/11/2019 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quote History
Quoted:

Awesome, thanks for reporting in with your testing. Any bit of data we can get is helpful.

5% isn't a ton, but 'better' is definitely better, especially for a $14 part.

By comparison, the $100 Kynshot hydraulic buffer is advertised as reducing recoil by 20-30%, lets say 25%. Thats $4 per 1% of reduction. So at $2.8 per 1% of improvement with the LARB tip, thats a bargain

If you do get a chance, could you please try a bit of rapid fire? I suspect the dampener will show more effect while trying to track the sights during a 3-4 shot sequence. The Kynshot hydraulic buffer also mentions in their add copy that the most significant effects are noticed during rapid fire:

"The RB5000 KynSHOT Marksman Recoil Buffer AR15 Carbine reduces felt recoil by 20-30%, while largely eliminating muzzle rise.  To be clear: in this caliber, absolute recoil reduction is small.  However, the improvement in weapon accuracy – specifically second and third shot accuracy – is large as shooters report that their time to reacquire a target decreases, and in many cases never leaves their scope sights."
https://www.kyntec.com/product/rb5000-kynshot-marksman-recoil-buffer-ar15-carbine-1/
View Quote
Maybe measuring split times with and without the LARB tip would be a good idea?
10/11/2019 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quote History
Quoted:

Maybe measuring split times with and without the LARB tip would be a good idea?
View Quote
I plan on using a shot timer/10 rounds in the mag/full auto test for the LARB, EAB, and the 1" silicone hemisphere shock absorber screwed onto the end of the Tubbs flat wire spring if they all cycle correctly.  Will be using a Spike's T3 unmodified first, then with the tips/bumper.

I wonder if taping a small digital postage scale flat to the bottom of the buttpad and then shouldering it (or putting it in a rest against a heavy object) to take a shot, would give a reliable pounds of force reading on recoil?  Anyone care to try that?

Still waiting on the bumper parts.  Anyone beats me to the punch post results plz.
10/11/2019 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quote History
Quoted:

I plan on using a shot timer/10 rounds in the mag/full auto test for the LARB, EAB, and the 1" silicone hemisphere shock absorber screwed onto the end of the Tubbs flat wire spring if they all cycle correctly.  Will be using a Spike's T3 unmodified first, then with the tips/bumper.

I wonder if taping a small digital postage scale flat to the bottom of the buttpad and then shouldering it (or putting it in a rest against a heavy object) to take a shot, would give a reliable pounds of force reading on recoil?  Anyone care to try that?

Still waiting on the bumper parts.  Anyone beats me to the punch post results plz.
View Quote
We invested in digital force gages for this very test. It didn’t work. You need a force gage and censor that can record a very quick event. That’s why ended up using accelerometers. All these tests and questions have been answered before, both here on arfcom and elsewhere online. Theses threads pop up all the time.
10/11/2019 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quote History
Quoted:

We invested in digital force gages for this very test. It didn’t work. You need a force gage and censor that can record a very quick event. That’s why ended up using accelerometers. All these tests and questions have been answered before, both here on arfcom and elsewhere online. Theses threads pop up all the time.
View Quote
Oh yeah now I remember someone used an iphone accelerometer app and mounted their iphone on the stock to try that.  Since I am the scientific hard evidence type I went into the kitchen and dropped an apple on a postage scale to see what would happen.  It gave me a number.   Bruised the apple.  Pretty solid result.  
10/11/2019 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Try it, I’d love to see some numbers
10/11/2019 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#31]
LOL.  Shot some hefty 45-70 loads last weekend after shooting 2 rounds of trap.

Recoil from a .223?

10/11/2019 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I just now went to buy the EAB to try out and report back, however it seems they are one of those companies who either like to make a couple extra bucks off the customer by over charging on shipping or they just grab a bunch of flat rate boxes and just toss the item in the box regardless of weight and how much it should cost to ship.

Maybe I’m just getting old and bitter but I’m not paying $8 for shipping on something that should cost half that to ship.

I sent the gentleman an email regarding this. I’ll see what he says.

ETA:
Well, his response is they use flat rate $8 envelopes for smaller items. So basically they are too lazy to buy the smaller padded envelopes that are like a couple of dollars and pay the $1 or $2 that it would actually charge to ship. Looks like I’ll buy the LARB.
10/11/2019 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quote History
Quoted:
LOL.  Shot some hefty 45-70 loads last weekend after shooting 2 rounds of trap.

Recoil from a .223?

https://i.imgur.com/Ro6vYZh.gif
View Quote
Heel yaeh borther.

It's not necessarily recoil reduction - weight, brakes, and minimal gas + lighter reciprocating mass do that - it's smoothing the peak impulses. Stance and technique does a lot, tech does the rest. More time in the center is better than time getting to center, ja?
10/11/2019 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quote History
Quoted:
Try it, I’d love to see some numbers
View Quote
There are many cheap or free accelerometer apps for android and iphone.

MantisX looks interesting but their hardware addon is mostly for handgun and is geared toward training for trigger pull and shot placement.  It records motion more than force.  They said they are working on a rifle sensor that will also measure rearward forces from recoil but it is a ways off.

I sent an email to this guy to see if his system is ready for prime time.  If it is and he will send one to me to forward to Amphibian we can get some hard data.  His system measures in microseconds.
Cheap rifle accelerometer

Yeah I know, too much time on my hands....  Retired but not tired.

UPDATE:  I downloaded an app called Physics Toolbox to my phone and tried it out by holding it horizontally and hitting the end of it.  I'm very surprised with the result.  It records in milliseconds.  Here is a screen shot of the first part of the .csv (text) file.  I can use the data to make a graph with Excel.  I think I can mount the phone to my handguard and may get usable data after all with this free app.  COOL!  The geek in me loves this.  
Attached File
10/11/2019 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quote History
Quoted:
I just now went to buy the EAB to try out and report back, however it seems they are one of those companies who either like to make a couple extra bucks off the customer by over charging on shipping or they just grab a bunch of flat rate boxes and just toss the item in the box regardless of weight and how much it should cost to ship.

Maybe I’m just getting old and bitter but I’m not paying $8 for shipping on something that should cost half that to ship.

I sent the gentleman an email regarding this. I’ll see what he says.

ETA:
Well, his response is they use flat rate $8 envelopes for smaller items. So basically they are too lazy to buy the smaller padded envelopes that are like a couple of dollars and pay the $1 or $2 that it would actually charge to ship. Looks like I’ll buy the LARB.
View Quote
yeah, they need to discover USPS 1st Class Package Service.
10/11/2019 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Here is a graph of the first test from slapping the top of my phone after deleting all but one impulse.  Total range of about .15 seconds.  Blue line represents the 3 second point in the data.  Some phones sample data faster than others.   Some Galaxy s7, s8 devices can achieve 400 Hz, most phones support between 100 - 400.  Any of you guys can download the app and mount your phone to your handguard to try it out.  App will email data to you in .csv format to open with Excel or OpenOffice Calc (free) to make a chart with.  Chart shows 7 g's total most of the force along the y axis which was with my phone sideways left side up.
Attached File
10/11/2019 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I’ve been doing this for years. Getting the actual recoil force generated at the stock is a whole other game. That’s what I was talking about...
10/11/2019 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quote History
Quoted:
I’ve been doing this for years. Getting the actual recoil force generated at the stock is a whole other game. That’s what I was talking about...
View Quote
Do you mean pounds of force applied to the shoulder vs. g forces?  How about the time period ie. ramp up and down?

Glad to hear we have someone in on the discussion with years experience on this, I've only got a few hours so far.  

What kind of accelerometer or measuring tools do you use?
10/11/2019 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quote History
Quoted:

Do you mean pounds of force applied to the shoulder vs. g forces?  How about the time period ie. ramp up and down?

Glad to hear we have someone in on the discussion with years experience on this, I've only got a few hours so far.  

What kind of accelerometer or measuring tools do you use?
View Quote
Apple phone and Apple Watch, that’s it for accelerometers. Make my own picatinny mounts for them. Even after buying “nice” digital force gages and making fixtures, I’m still not able to capture the recoil force generated in pounds at the end of the buffer tube. And I want it. I’ve got shot tons of data elsewhere....
10/11/2019 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Just FYI, I bought a larb buffer tip and tried to install it in a rifle buffer. The roll pin holes don't line up. I could drill a new hole and put it through, but I'm worried about the longevity with two holes in it.....
10/11/2019 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quote History
Quoted:

Apple phone and Apple Watch, that’s it for accelerometers. Make my own picatinny mounts for them. Even after buying “nice” digital force gages and making fixtures, I’m still not able to capture the recoil force generated in pounds at the end of the buffer tube. And I want it. I’ve got shot tons of data elsewhere....
View Quote
Way ahead of me.  For the force at the tube end I was thinking a setup with something like a luggage scale.  One that doesn't go back to zero after the weight is removed.  Can't think of a way to mount it.  Standing the rifle up on the scale, zeroing it, and then firing would work to get the number but you would have to build an enclosure and bullet catcher over the muzzle so you could pull the trigger remotely.  Not too practical, just brainstorming.
10/12/2019 7:20:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quote History
Quoted:
We've seen up to a 20% reduction in ROF/bolt velocities with this cap alone. Up to 30% when used with our LARB buffer. It’s a very simple design modification to the LAB tail cap. Most designs that work well, are simple. Don’t over complicate or over engineer something just for the hell of it. This is a simple design, yet is is engineered, tested and evaluated. It works well, mbell has one of these as well...
https://i.ibb.co/Lk9MDJz/633029-C1-032-F-4290-9-E13-8-B69983-E8232.jpg https://i.ibb.co/QpnjNCk/4-BC2414-B-21-D8-4-E33-91-FC-3-F8-DFE7-F4228.jpg photo album upload" target="_blank">https://i.ibb.co/Lk9MDJz/633029-C1-032-F-4290-9-E13-8-B69983-E8232.jpg https://i.ibb.co/QpnjNCk/4-BC2414-B-21-D8-4-E33-91-FC-3-F8-DFE7-F4228.jpg photo album upload
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We also have the rate reducing tail cap, just haven't really pushed it yet.
That sounds interesting, could you go into that a bit more?
We've seen up to a 20% reduction in ROF/bolt velocities with this cap alone. Up to 30% when used with our LARB buffer. It’s a very simple design modification to the LAB tail cap. Most designs that work well, are simple. Don’t over complicate or over engineer something just for the hell of it. This is a simple design, yet is is engineered, tested and evaluated. It works well, mbell has one of these as well...
https://i.ibb.co/Lk9MDJz/633029-C1-032-F-4290-9-E13-8-B69983-E8232.jpg https://i.ibb.co/QpnjNCk/4-BC2414-B-21-D8-4-E33-91-FC-3-F8-DFE7-F4228.jpg photo album upload" target="_blank">https://i.ibb.co/Lk9MDJz/633029-C1-032-F-4290-9-E13-8-B69983-E8232.jpg https://i.ibb.co/QpnjNCk/4-BC2414-B-21-D8-4-E33-91-FC-3-F8-DFE7-F4228.jpg photo album upload
We're currently working on a 'recoil/rof reducing buffer showdown' between the DPM and Kyshot hydraulic:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/DPM-Recoil-Reduction-System-vs-Hydraulic-buffer/118-744494/

Would you be interested in sending your new ROF reducing LARB buffer to Amphibian to add to the test? I think that would make for a wonderful additional data point.
10/12/2019 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quote History
Quoted:

We're currently working on a 'recoil/rof reducing buffer showdown' between the DPM and Kyshot hydraulic:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/DPM-Recoil-Reduction-System-vs-Hydraulic-buffer/118-744494/

Would you be interested in sending your new ROF reducing LARB buffer to Amphibian to add to the test? I think that would make for a wonderful additional data point.
View Quote
I may be interested. Weve has tests done many times over the last 3 years, the LARB has always performed well. But, the people testing them? Some not so much. Everyone promises to post results, some do, most don’t. In this industry, I’ve learned everyone is an expert and has a “huge following”. But most just want free stuff. What would be the terms/details?
10/12/2019 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quote History
Quoted:
Seems a spring could be designed that ramps up pressure in the end, preventing any impact of the buffer to the receiver extension.
View Quote
I have wondered why a progressive spring hasn't been tried....
10/12/2019 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quote History
Quoted:  I may be interested. Weve has tests done many times over the last 3 years, the LARB has always performed well. But, the people testing them? Some not so much. Everyone promises to post results, some do, most don’t. In this industry, I’ve learned everyone is an expert and has a “huge following”. But most just want free stuff. What would be the terms/details?
View Quote
Read up on amphibian's experimentation w/ the CMMG platform, I think your concerns will be satisfied.
10/12/2019 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quote History
Quoted:

I may be interested. Weve has tests done many times over the last 3 years, the LARB has always performed well. But, the people testing them? Some not so much. Everyone promises to post results, some do, most don’t. In this industry, I’ve learned everyone is an expert and has a “huge following”. But most just want free stuff. What would be the terms/details?
View Quote
If you want to get your whole buffer in on the test send me one and I'll send it (along with the EAB bumper and the Rate Reducing Tailcap you sent me) to Amphibian along with the DPM RRS buffer when it arrives from Greece.  Amphibian already has a full plate of testing to do with the 2 buffers but he seems the type of guy who loves to get knee deep into hands on comparison testing.  He may be ok with adding plain buffer tests for the tailcaps too.  If he is game I'll pack it all up together and he can go to town.

Guaranteed the results will be posted and will be well quantified.  I personally guarantee you get your buffer back or I will pay for it.

re. the Armament LARB Rate Reducing Tailcap:  Note that as others have experienced the retaining pin hole in the LARB tailcap is not straight through on the one I received either.  Like 99HMC4 said a new hole can be drilled 90 degrees off.  I suppose you could drill the hole straight and work in some silicone to fill the gap.  Check your jig it may be off a bit or the part is moving.
Attached File
10/12/2019 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Well shit. I’m gonna assume the fixture wasn’t set up correctly or even a dull drill could be pushing. I can’t control 100% in production, but if there’s 3 guys so far, it’s the part. The last run of this batch was 75 units. Ill look into it, I apologize if it causes a PIA install. I don’t noticed when I build buffers as we use a press to push and stake the roll pins. I wouldn’t mind sending a buffer, but the best I’d offer is a demo price. These buffers have been out for a few years and have proven themselves (many times here in arfcom too) to work very well. I just don’t give them away anymore...
10/12/2019 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Makes sense to me and I have wondered about something like this for a while

$14, sold, I'm going to buy one.
10/12/2019 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quote History
Quoted:
Well shit. I’m gonna assume the fixture wasn’t set up correctly or even a dull drill could be pushing. I can’t control 100% in production, but if there’s 3 guys so far, it’s the part. The last run of this batch was 75 units. Ill look into it, I apologize if it causes a PIA install. I don’t noticed when I build buffers as we use a press to push and stake the roll pins. I wouldn’t mind sending a buffer, but the best I’d offer is a demo price. These buffers have been out for a few years and have proven themselves (many times here in arfcom too) to work very well. I just don’t give them away anymore...
View Quote
Glad we worked it out via email.  I'll send the buffer to Amphibian with the other components when I get it all.
10/14/2019 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#50]
havent read all the pages in here yet, but i bought a coupole after they dropped price on shipping... it was even higher before...  i have it on a heavy carbine ks-47 and a rifle length mil surp colt buffer.  have tried the ks-47 and it was a marked difference.  surprising even... that was going from how it felt in the past.... but still, was neat...

for all you commandos out there, buffers are cheap enough that you can keep a spare in a flashlight mount or stock or something no?  

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 7
Next Page
AR Sponsor