Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:15:17 AM EDT
[#1]
My two cents:

I own an Aimpoint, an EOTech, and an ACOG.  It truly is based more than anything on what you do with the optic.  However, when it came down to it, I was issued an Aimpoint, took it off, and brought my ACOG.  

I've got a TA31F, for basic CQB, the BAC and chevron work great.  However, that's if you're expecting the possibility that you're going to need to shoot something (i.e. clearing rooms, ect.); however, I've decided that I do want something to augment my ability to return effective fire in a completely unexpected situation, i.e. a dismounted patrol in the mountains, and suddenly someone pops out over an IV line right in front of you.  

For that purpose, I'm currently looking at getting a piggybacked Trijicon or Doc-Optic type MRD to mount on the ACOG.  At the same time, I have no desire whatsoever to give up my ACOG for my Aimpoint, and even with the MRD mounted, I would quickly transition to the ACOG as primary sight, as soon as I got past the instinct stage, into the thinking stage, because just snapping the ACOG and the 4X mag in one eye (both open) can sometimes be disorienting if you don't expect it, especially at close ranges.

HTH,
~Augee
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#2]
My advice....ACOG TA-31DOC

You'll have 4X when you need it, and a Doctor for close in.  The Doctor is just as fast as my EO Tech 553.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd like to do a little research and look at a IOR 1.1x4 variable scope. Where exactly can I find one of these? Is IOR the company of manufacture?

I am not real concerned with the cost. I am willing to pay for a quality optic.

No I am not military or LEO yet. I mostly want a good SHTF set up and rifle for training at Blackwater.

I am applying to the FBI next year after I have finished the madatory 2 year professional work experience needed, but if hired it is unlikely I'd use this rifle for LEO use.

www.swfa.com/pc-10131-292-ior-11-4x26-tactical-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

If money is not an issue, then I would look into the S&B short Dot, or the Swarovski 1x6 scopes.

Isn't it funny how kick ass the Short Dot is, but how insane the price is?  The Elcan SpecterDR seems to offers just as much at a reduced price.

I'd really love to see a comparison of the Short Dot vs. the SpecterDR.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Specter1975,

IMHO bigcraig did mention it but I think you should cinsider an Aimpoint M3 with 2moa dot and a 3X magnifier with a swing away mount.

The Aimpoint by itself rocks for CQB.  Batteries are a non issue - 50,000 hours is over five year of battery life if you never turn the Aimpoint off.

The 3x Magnafier can be swung out of the way when not in use and only takes a few second to deploy.  The magnafier can greatly extend your range.

Spud47
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Specter1975,

IMHO bigcraig did mention it but I think you should cinsider an Aimpoint M3 with 2moa dot and a 3X magnifier with a swing away mount.

The Aimpoint by itself rocks for CQB.  Batteries are a non issue - 50,000 hours is over five year of battery life if you never turn the Aimpoint off.

The 3x Magnafier can be swung out of the way when not in use and only takes a few second to deploy.  The magnafier can greatly extend your range.

Spud47

too heavy
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am sorry for keeping this thread going but I have a follow up question.

I am one of these people who is right handed but naturally left eye dominate. The odd thing is that when shooting a rifle I seem to be able to shoot with my right eye. I guess this is from my dad training me to shoot with my right eye since I was 5 years old. When shooting a handgun though my left eye dominance takes over.

Do you guys think that this would effect my ability to use the BAC on the TA31 series ACOG's?

I'm right handed and left eye dominant as well. I index a handgun to my left eye when I shoot and shoot a rifle righty. I have no problem using the BAC on the ACOG shooting righty. I have a much harder time using two eyes open on a non BAC optic but have trained myself to do this. Have you considered a Trijicon Accupoint TR21 1.25-4x24? I recently debated between the accupoint, TA33-8 Acog and the Aimpoint M4 myself. I choose the accupoint only because I found a deal on one in a LaRue mount.

The truth about optics is if you can't try them for yourself you just don't know wich will work for you. For me the Eotechs pixulated reticle is horible and distracting, others love it. I don't like the TA31s because there is no way for me to set this scope up properly with a BUIS and still have the right eye relief and cheek weld, again others love it. Same thing with the TA50R, no way to make this scope work for me because of eye relief and again othrs love it. If you go ACOG and can't try it mounted on a rifle first I would recomend getting one of the modles advertised with over 1 3/4" eye relief. If you have to screw up your checkweld etc. to make an optic work chances are you will not like it as much.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top