Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#4]
tagged.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My interpretation of a Recce. The way it was meant originally. There seems to be all sorts of things called Recces today, but this is what I belive the original concept was more like:

Ok rifle, but not a Recce.  The "way it was meant originally" was a 16" stainless match barrel with a 12" (full length) free float rail handguard.

My suggestions for Variablebinary... decide if you need a rail handguard ($300-ish) or not ($75-$100ish).  Full length handguard for best use with sling or bipod.

What kind of range do you need out of this rifle?  What barrel length is going to be best... 16/18/20"?  Lower cost choice would be an RRA stainless barrel in 16" mid or 20".  Up the price scale a little would be something like a WOA or Denny's or Noveske barrel in the barrel length you want.  Could also have a barrel custom made to your desired length/profile/chamber from your choice of high end blanks (krieger, lilja, etc).  The Noveske barrels have quickly gained a following it seems among more "practical" oriented shooters.

Good scope.  Lots of choices there.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My interpretation of a Recce. The way it was meant originally. There seems to be all sorts of things called Recces today, but this is what I belive the original concept was more like:

Ok rifle, but not a Recce.  The "way it was meant originally" was a 16" stainless match barrel with a 12" (full length) free float rail handguard.

My suggestions for Variablebinary... decide if you need a rail handguard ($300-ish) or not ($75-$100ish).  Full length handguard for best use with sling or bipod.

What kind of range do you need out of this rifle?  What barrel length is going to be best... 16/18/20"?  Lower cost choice would be an RRA stainless barrel in 16" mid or 20".  Up the price scale a little would be something like a WOA or Denny's or Noveske barrel in the barrel length you want.  Could also have a barrel custom made to your desired length/profile/chamber from your choice of high end blanks (krieger, lilja, etc).  The Noveske barrels have quickly gained a following it seems among more "practical" oriented shooters.

Have fun.

Do a search of the Navy SEAL section at Tactical Forum, Frogman gives the original specs. The gun was listed as being M4,unknown barrel make with fixed front sight. Optic was up tot he operator.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#7]
The barrel on the original Recce's was a Lilja with carbine-gas...

Here is my Recce-ish rifle which I started building up before I had ever heard of the term. My goal is to have a rifle that can do 4.5 second box-drills on two targets while moving at 15yds and then do first round A-zone hits out to 500m without changing a thing. I originally started with a chrome-lined HBAR; but the current barrel is a midlength SS Llilja.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#8]
tag for later.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have fun.

The first Recce's were just modified M4s with regular chrome lined 1-7" M4 barrels and that was what I was trying to achieve. The Recce's secondary role was LR shooting. The first role was to function as a carbine. Do some homework on the history and get back to me.

Oh and...........
my FF rail system was only ~$140.

ETA: here is Frogman's Quote:

Regarding the Recon rifle: I'm not sure why anyone cares so much about it. I'm going to go through this once and for all. It seems to me that I may only be pleasing AR-15 gadget-mongers out there who have some insatiable need to copy, clone, and comment on SOF weapons systems, but I'll try to get through this in order to make a point.
Well before 9/11 a new M4 upper was built "in-house" to allow certain SEAL snipers the ability to have a lightweight and portable weapon that was also more lethal. So, a few uppers were made with 16" barrels. The uppers had to fire any of the 5.56mm ammo in our inventory to include the (at that time "new") 77 gr. Sierra/Black Hills Match cartridge. The weapon retained the KAC QD Suppressor. The operator could decide for himself, basically, whether he wanted a collapsing or fixed stock (as SEALs have done for quite a long time).

When the "recipe" was turned over to Crane for them to make enough for the rest of the Teams' snipers the person who was handling the project got distracted. Instead he funneled Army money into the project and Army ideas. Basically, he shelved a simple construction project in favor of designing a whole new thing- and thus the Mk 12 (which the world loves to call the "SPR") was unfortunately born (perhaps stillborn). Mk 12's were issued to the Navy (myself included)and they were not what one might have expected once they got to the range.

Since the Teams considered the whole "SPR"/Mk 12 thing a waste of time, the project manager at Crane (finally) got his pee-pee slapped a little and construction of some more of the original Recon rifles is now progressing.

It is simply a 16" barrel (current manufacturer eludes me as I write but it is not that fancy) with the KAC flash-hider on a flattop upper. I believe it still has a fixed front sight post. SEALs have a host of BUIS options to choose from. The favorite, by far, is the KAC 600m BUIS. SEAL snipers have a wide range of optics to select for their weapons. My personal favorite(and that of my Teammates) is the 4X SOF ACOG. It has good optics, is waterproof and extremely durable. Many of us have recently shifted them onto A.R.M.S. throw lever bases for quick detach purposes.

There are tons of gadgets for M-16 series weapons out there (just like M1911's). Most of the things that are out there do not belong on a SEAL rifle. Some equipment works well for a SWAT guy, or maybe at the range, but it just wouldn't survive getting to the target with a SEAL operator (i.e. hard boat rides, jumping, diving, etc). Our equipment/tools are simple, durable and applicable to the task. SEALs (myself included) do not have much patience for couch potatoes questioning why we do/or don't use this gadget vice that one.

He also stated:

BTW,
The recon rifle has the same gas system as an M4.
Frogman

ETA: Here is a pic of my carbine for comparison:
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I've decided on what precision weapon I want. I want a DMR, and I've already ordered a rifle and have a smith to accurize it . Thanks for your help

Here is the DMR I am getting

SA loaded model, SS barrel

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well I've decided on what precision weapon I want. I want a DMR, and I've already ordered a rifle and have a smith to accurize it . Thanks for your help

www.special-warfare.net/data_base/204_military_rifles/004_02_sniper_rifle_auto_01/us_m21sws_04.jpg

Congrats on your purchase.....and the maintanence required to keep it accurate MAKE SURE you get some sort of cheekpiece for it otherwise you truelly won't be able to get it to shoot worth a crap-unless you like chin welds.

Here's my USMC DMR clone

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Started life as an Armalite M15A4 SPR

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

www.special-warfare.net/data_base/204_military_rifles/004_02_sniper_rifle_auto_01/us_m21sws_04.jpg

You won't be disappointed. Good choice.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

A great rifle for the DMR role if you ask me. You will not be disappointed in your choice. I agree with Lawman734, find a good cheek piece if you plan on using a scope.

Here is mine.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I finally broke down and built myself one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Great thread! A lot of good info here for my second build. I am researching barrels for my precision
AR and came across this. Great looking rifles guys!

Thanks, Chris
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:19:29 AM EDT
[#17]
THellURider,
 Email inbound for pics if the offer still stands - I need ideas for an afghan build...

Thanks,
Copperhead
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top