AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
None of those.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/rifle-kits/16-m4-cmv-chrome-lined-premium-rifle-kit.html

Buy this kit, and a lower of your choosing. Then with the extra money saved buy mags, sling, and ammo.

Your welcome

View Quote

If you're on a tighter budget I'd go this route. Buying the Colt is always a good idea, In the long run, out of the 3, I think the Colt would be the one that will be the least likely to regret.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#2]
You should be able to get a PSA complete with sights for $600-$650.  Complete lowers are usually around $200 on sale and complete uppers around $400 + $50 for  a rear sight.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Went back and looked at the PSA. Got the markings off of it, and called Palmetto.

The barrel is an FN barrel, chrome lined, but it is not cold hammer forged. Also, it had the Palmetto mark on the lower, but not the upper - the factory said that it IS NOT the premium upper. Also, no rear flip up sight. Not a deal breaker but the Smith and the Colt DO have the sights, so I'm factoring that into the price. Basically, now the PSA is a now withing $200 of the Colt, and about the same as the Smith.

So...........the PSA is out.

Now, I have to decide between the Smith and the Colt. The thing about the Smith is the 1:8 twist..........it has me intrigued.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Jesus......what exactly are you not reading and understanding?

The Colt is the better gun.

The end.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, 11 say PSA, 11 say Colt, and 3 say S&W. Hardly a landslide vote for Colt.

I'm not saying I'm not going to get the Colt. I just posted for opinions.....no need to be an ass about it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#6]
The FN made barrel would be "equal" IMO to the Colt barrel, a CHF one better.

Given you still need a MBUS I would now say get the Colt as your 1st complete AR platform. Then start cruising PSA's website and get what you want for the 2014 build you mention you want.

I did this 2 years ago (and at the time I had a Bushmaster AR for several years), bought my 1st 6920 as my "gold standard" AR, bought the PSA I mentioned off the rack then did my 1st build using a Spikes lower I bought realtime with a PSA LPK and 16" CHF barreled upper.

You can buy the parts for the build as money allows (what I did) and take advantage of sales PSA does with free shipping now that their doing that again.

The S&W is a fine rifle but given a choice I'd buy a Colt....because you'll have that little voice in your head saying "I wish I had bought the Colt".

My '1st" Colt 6920 is the 2nd from the left pictured here. My PSA build is on the far right. It's since gotten a "pure" PSA lower with PSA LPK and tube and the Spikes I first used is on my BCM 16" midlength build I did spring this year. My 1st 6920 had a Vortex "Sparc" reddot on it but I'm currently buying parts for a 100% Spikes build (have the lower and parts, waiting for Xmas for the money for the upper I want) so that will end up there. then I get something for it.

If it were me I'd get this this weekend as a start if you can afford it

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/psa-blemished-safe-fire-lower.html

I used one myself and had 2 before the panic (I sold those for a tidy profit during the panic ), I might snag a couple myself tomorrow if my FFL can get with PSA and only charges me a flat rate for 2 at once....if not I can get Spikes lowers realtime same price (counting the FFL fees)....I have 2 Spikes lowers here now with complete LPK's just waiting for my gun fun fund to catch up from buying brakes for one of my cars
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I'll make it 12, then BUY THE COLT. They set the standard that others are trying to meet. They have been building them longer than anyone else out in the market place.
Are they better? Than the PSA Oh hell ya!  You couldn't give me a PSA. I'll never touch a product they make again, anything, never.
The Colt will have the best resale value if it ever comes to it.
Everyone knows the name Colt
As far as the S&W, I really can't comment. I have no experience with them. Well, except for their older handguns.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Of those the Colt is the "best", but the other two are good too. However, unless you are going to run it hard and under conditions where your life is at stake you may be better served with the PSA or S&W and use the difference for ammo. Neither the Colt or S&W hammer forged either .
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Well,I have to agree with the colt fans.  Buy the colt.Have had one for 20 years-never regretted getting it. But,1 is never enough. You can then get that PSA. I've been hearing lots of good things about them,and have been to their store in south caroline twice. Great guys. I'm thinking about building one from PSA,the way I want it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well,I have to agree with the colt fans.  Buy the colt.Have had one for 20 years-never regretted getting it. But,1 is never enough. You can then get that PSA. I've been hearing lots of good things about them,and have been to their store in south caroline twice. Great guys. I'm thinking about building one from PSA,the way I want it.
View Quote

If I don't do a total scratch build after my Xmas Spikes build I might do another PSA build. I have one of there LPK's here now and was thinking of getting one of their middy CHF barreled uppers if they ever get them in stock decent price (I have a spare PSA BGC here anyway )
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, I'll make it 12, then BUY THE COLT. They set the standard that others are trying to meet have long met and improved upon. They have been building them longer than anyone else out in the market place.
Are they better? Than the PSA Oh hell ya!  You couldn't give me a PSA. I'll never touch a product they make again, anything, never.
As far as the S&W, I really can't comment. I have no experience with them. Well, except for their older handguns.
View Quote

There...fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Colt.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for Colt.
Better rifle than those other two.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#14]
You'll find fewer Colt owners who feel that they have to loudly justify their purchases to others and need the validation of trying to convince others of the superiority of their decisions.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You'll find fewer Colt owners who feel that they have to loudly justify their purchases to others and need the validation of trying to convince others of the superiority of their decisions.  

~Augee
View Quote

Nice way of putting it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

~Augee
View Quote

I couldn't disagree more.

You do realize that next to every time you see someone "loudly justify their purchases (that aren't Colt)," it's after someone shows up touting Colt to be some pinnacle of the platform to which no others can equal.

Find the guy calling out Colt for not having fairy dust sprinkled on it, and scroll back to see the guy claiming Colt does have fairy dust sprinkled on it - this is the chain of events nearly every time.

Sorry Augee, I respect your opinion for sure, but I don't know who you're trying to kid with this particular assessment.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:47:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I am new to the AR platform myself, I have shot them before but haven't owned my own until pretty recently.

I own both the Colt and the SW.

I like both but I prefer the colt hands down. My only complaint is that mine didn't come with the Roger Super Stock but instead a typical M4 Collapsible.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:19:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm speaking as someone with experience with both the Colt and PSA platforms. At first I voted for the OP to buy the PSA, but given the newer information he posted about the PSA not having the "premium" upper and no rear sight if the price difference becomes $200.00 then I say for a 1st AR (which is what the OP said this is) he's better off getting the Colt.

A PSA with the premium upper and FN made barrel is equal to a Colt 6920, one with the cold hammer forged barrel better. The one the OP says the shop had is equal to the S&W he's interested in (it has the 1/8 twist barrel and 1/7 is the better choice IMO).

As I mentioned, the OP wants to do a build this coming year. He can use PSA as his source and build what he wants there as parts come up on sale, In the end he'll have 2 quality platforms  that will more than fit his needs
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:16:20 AM EDT
[#19]
You can never go wrong with a psa
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:52:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You can never go wrong with a psa
View Quote

LOLZ. Tell that to those people who got PSA middy uppers shipped with carbine gas tubes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:40:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Get the Colt.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
None of those.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/rifle-kits/16-m4-cmv-chrome-lined-premium-rifle-kit.html

Buy this kit, and a lower of your choosing. Then with the extra money saved buy mags, sling, and ammo.

Your welcome

View Quote

That deal is gone.
Cant remember the price... I think it was $500 plus $59 for a blem lower = killer deal.
Assembling a complete uppered kit is easy peasy and fun.
Plus it makes it "Yours" as in  
" hey guys look what I built".

Another alternative is to buy a new gun off of gunbroker like a Spikes, BCM, or DD for about a grand. Top quality stuff and no tax.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#23]
At a LGS now. Any opinion on Sig M400?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Primary Arms had them for $1115 yesterday. Their sale is still going on, but not sure if they're still in stock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, check out Daniel Defense you can get an awesome DDM4 V7LW for about $1300. Much better quality then all you listed above. DD is top notch stuff. The DDM4 V7LW was my first AR and it is amazing

Primary Arms had them for $1115 yesterday. Their sale is still going on, but not sure if they're still in stock.

Out of stock but use coupon code DD400 to get $400 off of what they have in stock.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Out of stock but use coupon code DD400 to get $400 off of what they have in stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, check out Daniel Defense you can get an awesome DDM4 V7LW for about $1300. Much better quality then all you listed above. DD is top notch stuff. The DDM4 V7LW was my first AR and it is amazing

I figured those would go quick. I put one in my cart just to see the cheapest shipping available for a grand total out of curiosity.

It would have been $1124 for a DD M4V7LW shipped to my dealer.

That's even better than the $1193 shipped I paid for one on GunBroker in August, and frankly, possibly the best deal I've ever seen on an AR.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
At a LGS now. Any opinion on Sig M400?
View Quote

About a grand on gunbroker.
No idea of quality.
SIG usually means high quality but I know they had some scopes that were re-badged crap.

If you want to have good quality for "cheap" the PSA deal is where its at if you build; a very easy process.
Honest.

Be patient.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:50:23 AM EDT
[#27]
See post below.

(havent figured out how to delete a post)
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:51:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I figured those would go quick. I put one in my cart just to see the cheapest shipping available for a grand total out of curiosity.

That's even better than the $1193 shipped I paid for one on GunBroker in August, and frankly, possibly the best deal I've ever seen on an AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ This !
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You do realize that next to every time you see someone "loudly justify their purchases (that aren't Colt)," it's after someone shows up touting Colt to be some pinnacle of the platform to which no others can equal.

Find the guy calling out Colt for not having fairy dust sprinkled on it, and scroll back to see the guy claiming Colt does have fairy dust sprinkled on it - this is the chain of events nearly every time.

Sorry Augee, I respect your opinion for sure, but I don't know who you're trying to kid with this particular assessment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

Augee is spot on.

If I had a nickel for I every time I read the words "my xxxx is just as good as a Colt"

You are fixated on a specific few individuals (like your buddy Glockreaper).  The vast majority of Colt owners know that have a quality rifle and don't feel that they need to justify their purchase.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:01:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Augee is spot on.

If I had a nickel for I every time I read the words "my xxxx is just as good as a Colt"

You are fixated on a specific few individuals (like your buddy Glockreaper).  The vast majority of Colt owners know that have a quality rifle and don't feel that they need to justify their purchase.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

Augee is spot on.

I agree to an extent with your assessment, but the guys claiming "my xxxx is just as good as a Colt" are far from "loudly justifying their purchase."

I'm just trying to point out that when the "loud" comments pop up, they're most often following an even louder comment from some Colt fanatic.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#31]
I bought the Colt. I pick it up Friday
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, I'll make it 12, then BUY THE COLT. They set the standard that others are trying to meet have long met and improved upon. They have been building them longer than anyone else out in the market place.

The only thing you fixed was in your mind, and not an actual fact.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#33]
You should also look at Sig M400. Excellent gun, mil spec, forged lower.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As nothing is superior to a Colt of course.

Yet it's only guys that don't bow down to Colt that make "loud" comments.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I bought the Colt. I pick it up Friday
View Quote

Wise choice. I know resale isn't a issue for you and it is not a issue for me either but honestly I would give $500 for a PSA max as you never really know what you are buying.

Yes I know FN barrel but what is PSA's spec on these FN barrels? and the rest of the parts that make up the rifle what are they using? They sell so many different grades of parts that it's just a confusing mess IMO
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Alright folks - I bought the Colt LE/M4 Carbine. It is basic, with rear flip up sights, standard forend. But it is a chrome lined MP barrel. M4 feed ramps, chrome plated chamber, etc. I will pick it up Friday. Can't wait
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Alright folks - I bought the Colt LE/M4 Carbine. It is basic, with rear flip up sights, standard forend. But it is a chrome lined MP barrel. M4 feed ramps, chrome plated chamber, etc. I will pick it up Friday. Can't wait
View Quote

Good, you'll be well served by it and as you go you can do that build you mentioned with PSA parts.....
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Congrats on your first AR. Be sure to share some pics.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top