Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
With the solid bottom handguard tub it doesn't look like the barrel will be as well ventilated as other designs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:52:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Taggage.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:26:33 AM EDT
[#3]
My wallet is about to hate you!!!

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:15:11 AM EDT
[#4]
oh pleeeease let them bring the weight really down!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:07:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Steve,

Are there any plans to offer a corresponding, improved lower receiver?

Thanks for the pics.

Regards,

Justin
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:26:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:32:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#9]
AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH! I must have one!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Midlength version???

All 3 lengths will be available.

I haven't heard any mention of a new lower.

Thanks Steve.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#11]
the "tub" design of the removable section of handguard is designed that way to serve as a heat shield...

as for a lower, if/when Vltor releases the lower receiver, it will be an evolutionary step in the AR design/platform.

Hey steve... have you gotten any good "field reports" back from SHOT?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#12]
This is the future of AR upper design.

For those of us who do not play muscial barrels, the VLTOR upper receiver is what we've been waiting for. While it isn't price competitive with uppers composed of current separate receivers and railed forends, it does offer many of the advantages of the MRP at a more realistic price point.

Expect to see competing products from the big boys within the next year.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Any chance of a Rifle length version I would jump on it.

Duh! sorry my old eyes missed the Rifle length in the original post Sorry.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks good.

Any idea on Leitner-Wise gas-piston compatiblity?

Weight concerns?  What was it that the viking said in Thirteenth Warrior?  "...Grow Stronger..."

Sure heat rises, but cool air needs to be drawn from somewhere.  I'm sure it won't be that big a deal, however.

Quick-change barrel concerns?  Bah, this isn't a LMG.  Why would anyone need to be able to change the barrel in under 5 minutes?  10 minutes?  15 minutes?

Like I said.  Looks good and I'm glad I didn't buy an LMT MRP now!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Three questions:

1) How wide is it across the 3 and 9 o'clock rails? The typical dimension, or thinner?

2) Why is the gas key protrusion so flat? Is the reciever iteslf wider than standard?

3) When can I get one?

Two things I really, really hope for:

1) Have Standard and M-4 cut-outs...I have a stock of barrels in both format

2) Ditch the idea of "interchangable buffer/forward assist"...too much complexity, for what?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

2) Ditch the idea of "interchangable buffer/forward assist"...too much complexity, for what?

+1

But as I said before it looks like it may be a manufacting related thing
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Well... also as stated before, it has nothing to do with the manufacture technique, it is about the ability to set up the top end for specific things. The choice of a FA or Non-FA as well as other options of interest to the military.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Well... also as stated before, it has nothing to do with the manufacture technique, it is about the ability to set up the top end for specific things. The choice of a FA or Non-FA as well as other options of interest to the military.

Well I have really kept up with this thread but what other kinds of options?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
the "tub" design of the removable section of handguard is designed that way to serve as a heat shield...

as for a lower, if/when Vltor releases the lower receiver, it will be an evolutionary step in the AR design/platform.

Hey steve... have you gotten any good "field reports" back from SHOT?

I am glad to hear it.  Perhaps we can expect an improved lower at the next SHOT?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#20]
This is machined from billet and not a forging, correct???
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn that looks nice.  I'll definitely be considering one for my next AR!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:14:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Now I'm glad I held off on the MRP.  The proprietary barrel was not appealing to me, let alone the price.  The MRP does win in the quick barrel change category.

The VLTOR will more than likely be my platform for a FF Midlength.  I like to fiddle with my ARs but don't go changing barrels all the time, so the quick change feature is not that important to me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Are there any plans to make a removable rail system like the CAS-EL? I'm not a fan of rail covers.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Are these available now? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Hey Steve, what is the ID of the rail?  I'm wondering if I can fit my Trident inside that baby

It looks great and I was going to do a 9mm build with a 5in TROS barrel and if I do it on one of these, I won't have just dedicated short 9mm upper (since the suppressor will have to be on the barrel to use in the 9mm setup since the 5inch barrel will be well hidden inside the rail), but I can swap the 9mm setup out and do any other barrel I want all at the range.

Available around summer, I can wait...just let me know when it's time to order. I 2nd Mrrogers1's question. Can you verify this please. I'm in the process of getting the same barrel and if this works . Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are there any plans to make a removable rail system like the CAS-EL? I'm not a fan of rail covers.

Sorry, no. It would add too much width and weight to be a viable option.

It'd add width to have removable rails? Compared to rails + covers?

Either way, do you know if some of the rails can be milled off?
I suppose they haven't released inner diameter for seeing what suppressors will fit inside?

I was thinking a SBR 9mm, but not sure it's worth the money to me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#29]

seeing what suppressors will fit inside?

None will fit inside.........that was the only problem with the single peice uppers.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

2) Why is the gas key protrusion so flat? Is the reciever iteslf wider than standard?

What do you mean? Are you talking about the overall shape?

I imagine this will eventually be me made from an extrusion or forging and that the current shape will refine into softer lines.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#31]
What I mean is, the cam pin extrusion on the left side (see below)

On regular recievers it sticks out mebbr 1/8" but here it looks much flatter on the VIS

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#32]
The more I look at it the more I like it.

Oh Giffman, where art thou?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#33]
SMGLee says this is a two-part unit, salt brazed together.

Is this true for the production upper, or just the prototype?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

It is a two piece unit, this is about the only way to retain the use of standard barrels. The process is that the two pieces are held together in a jig, the joint is filled with a metal foil and the whole thing is dipped in melted salt -- salt bath brazing or dip brazing.

The parts are heated in the bath to the point that they nearly melt, the joint is brazed together in the process, then the whole unit is heat treated and final machined. It is a VERY strong process that won out over other methods tested, conventional welding, glue & pin, and other more common techniques. Inovative, but what would expect?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Interesting info! Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#36]
So if it is two parts; is the top rail in the same plane? IE can you take a throwlevered optic and move it forward and retain a similar zero?

Or are the two parts just close enough to look monolithic like 60% of the rail systems already on the market?

Theoretically if this process can make a solid homogenous part and the machining of the top rail is done post-process it should be no different than an MRP upper.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
What I mean is, the cam pin extrusion on the left side (see below)

On regular recievers it sticks out mebbr 1/8" but here it looks much flatter on the VIS

www.adcofirearms.com/VIS/6.jpg

That makes more sense. Just a guess but the receiver walls look a little thicker witch would reduce the shelf in the cam pin location.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:08:54 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
So if it is two parts; is the top rail in the same plane? IE can you take a throwlevered optic and move it forward and retain a similar zero?

Or are the two parts just close enough to look monolithic like 60% of the rail systems already on the market?

Theoretically if this process can make a solid homogenous part and the machining of the top rail is done post-process it should be no different than an MRP upper.

The parts are brazed together and then machined, so in this respect it should be the same as MRP. The MRP is made out of a forging, so it should have added strength compared to the VIS, but other than that and the interchangeable barrels, the systems should perform similarly.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:40:55 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The parts are brazed together and then machined, so in this respect it should be the same as MRP. The MRP is made out of a forging, so it should have added strength compared to the VIS, but other than that and the interchangeable barrels, the systems should perform similarly.

Yes... for all intents and purposes, the VIS is one homogenous part... but the technique allows for use of standard barrels, both LMT and Colt have to use a different system as cutting the threads for the barrel nut is next to impossible without starting out with two pieces.

The top rail is a continuous rail and the height is SOPMOD spec, using an extruded handguard section has shown to not be an issue as far as strength goes -- Larue and others have been using extrusion handguards for some time with no recorded problems related to the extrusion itself... lighter, cheaper and plenty strong enough.

The joining process is what seperates the VIS... well not from any competition, as there really is no one else offering anythinng like it, but expect to see the copies of it hit the street soon. Anyway, other methods were tested and failed -- The VIS did not go from concept to production in a matter or weeks or even months, this has been undergoing design and testing for a long time now.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Larue and others have been using extrusion handguards for some time with no recorded problems related to the extrusion itself... lighter, cheaper and plenty strong enough.

I'm pretty sure LaRue rails are machined from billet.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Are you sure you want to go there?

It was proven in the past that larue started making his their rail system by machining them out of bar stock (billet). This is evident by the mis-aligned gun drill they did. In other words, they gun drill from one side and then try to intersect from the other end. the two pathes didn't always line up.

Later in production (about a year ago) the folks at larue extruded the rail platform and machined from that.

There is nothing wrong with extrusion, because everyone does it. For example, Knight's started it, followed by Daniel Defense. Troy and Vltor both use extrusion as well as many more. It's a good sound process that is battle proven.

Lord
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Larue and others have been using extrusion handguards for some time with no recorded problems related to the extrusion itself... lighter, cheaper and plenty strong enough.

Agreed. The tensile strength difference between a forging and wrought aluminium is typically about 10%.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Very nice.

Might give the MRP a run for it's money.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks so sweet Garrahhsha!

No good barrels kicking around, I'll wait for the completed upper
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am definately sure they are not...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am definately sure they are not...

It appears I'm behind in the times.

Out of curiosity, how does LMT machine their forgings for MRPs?  Do they encounter the same problems LaRue did machining rails from billet?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes... for all intents and purposes, the VIS is one homogenous part... but the technique allows for use of standard barrels, both LMT and Colt have to use a different system as cutting the threads for the barrel nut is next to impossible without starting out with two pieces.

The top rail is a continuous rail and the height is SOPMOD spec, using an extruded handguard section has shown to not be an issue as far as strength goes -- Larue and others have been using extrusion handguards for some time with no recorded problems related to the extrusion itself... lighter, cheaper and plenty strong enough.

The joining process is what seperates the VIS... well not from any competition, as there really is no one else offering anythinng like it, but expect to see the copies of it hit the street soon. Anyway, other methods were tested and failed -- The VIS did not go from concept to production in a matter or weeks or even months, this has been undergoing design and testing for a long time now.

So, are both parts of the VIS extruded?

Or, is the reciever forged and the handguard extruded?

I Googled "aluminum salt brazing". Fascinating. I now have no reservations about it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a two piece unit, this is about the only way to retain the use of standard barrels. The process is that the two pieces are held together in a jig, the joint is filled with a metal foil and the whole thing is dipped in melted salt -- salt bath brazing or dip brazing.

The parts are heated in the bath to the point that they nearly melt, the joint is brazed together in the process, then the whole unit is heat treated and final machined. It is a VERY strong process that won out over other methods tested, conventional welding, glue & pin, and other more common techniques. Inovative, but what would expect?

I plan to build my own monolithic upper using a similar technique that is entirely new to the industry: I have a MI freefloat handguard which is installed on a flat-top upper.  Normally, this would be considered a two-piece design, but I plan to use a special welding adhesive known as J-B Weld to join the upper and handguards together as one, solid piece.  This will also insure that the barrel goes absolutely NOWHERE as the nut cannot move at all.  Pretty innovative, huh?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Would changing barrels on this system be something anyone can do in say 30 minutes or less?  What is the procedure to change barrels on the VIS upper?

thanks
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I plan to build my own monolithic upper using a similar technique that is entirely new to the industry: I have a MI freefloat handguard which is installed on a flat-top upper.  Normally, this would be considered a two-piece design, but I plan to use a special welding adhesive known as J-B Weld to join the upper and handguards together as one, solid piece.  This will also insure that the barrel goes absolutely NOWHERE as the nut cannot move at all.  Pretty innovative, huh?

JB weld FTW
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top