Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/10/2014 7:16:02 AM EDT
http://www.jewishpress.com/news/israel-develops-new-bullet-with-2000-foot-range/2014/01/08/

http://defense-update.com/20140108_razor_core.html

So, the articles claim that IMI has developed a 77gr projectile that is effective out to 2000 feet (609.60 meters/ 666.66 yards). Full metal jacket. No information given on testing parameters.
Why is this news? Isn't Black Hills 77gr capable of the same thing?

<Changed thread title to be more specific - Z>

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#1]
If IMI puts out a 75 or 77 grain round, that would be awesome.

But nothing Earth shattering.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I want some!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 8:08:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Because its convenient to ignore Black Hills MK 262 Mod 1 and say that your ammo is better than XM193.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#4]
looks on the surface like an OTM round. Does MK318 shoot that well?
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I wish IMI.was more readily available

I heard it can't be importing anymore.
How does wideners get it
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#8]
The pic is an OTM. So OTM, crimped neck, annealed, sealed primer, if my math is right 2740fps +/- (from what barrel lenth?). I couldn't tell in the pics if the primers were crimped, I am sure the are being "NATO".  

What is Razor core? I didn't read what the core is.

Looks like a nice load.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#9]
20 inch extreme spread at 600 yards and 2730 fps from a 24 inch barrel is no big deal but they claim to have sold it to nato already.  maybe press release was not accurate about barrel length?  Think I will stick with Hornady T2.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I would like more data on performance, particularly at longer ranges. I don't see much of a difference between this and Black Hills or Hornady's premium stuff.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#11]
666.66 yards. Cartridge of the beast?
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 4:28:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
666.66 yards. Cartridge of the beast?
View Quote

That round is "666 the one for you and me".

Eddie thanks you.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Wideners is talking orders 5.56 Razor and 9mm...
The terminal action of the projectile is outstanding.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds interesting.

Quoted:

View Quote

Can you quantify that in anyway or provide any supporting statistics or information?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#15]
What's this do that MK262 Mod1 doesn't?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:22:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What's this do that MK262 Mod1 doesn't?
View Quote

That would be my question, also. Maybe cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

"Outstanding" how?  How is it different than any other heavy OTM like Hornady 75's or Sierra 77's?  I'm quite sure it's better than M193 but it's not like there's a rabid badger in every round.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Outstanding" how?  How is it different than any other heavy OTM like Hornady 75's or Sierra 77's?  I'm quite sure it's better than M193 but it's not like there's a rabid badger in every round.

How anyone not be excited about such a high quality mass produced ammo maker making a round like this?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How anyone not be excited about such a high quality mass produced ammo maker making a round like this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back off the fanboyism of IMI for a second....

LOTS of companies make heavy OTM rounds.  Federal Premium,  Hornady, Prvi Partizan, Black Hills, etc the list goes on.

Now to go around the tech forums saying that this is the shit and its amazing without seeing any kinds of tests or reports doesnt belong in the tech forums. People read these forums and assume what they read is mainly accurrate.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Apparently they havnt devoloped anything.
Wideners description says they are using Sierra Matchkings.

So its just IMI mk262.
Which is nice because its $0.78/rd right now. And maybe it'll be cheaper as time goes on.

Unless they have developed their own 77gr otm, but aren't using it in this load wideners has
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#22]

This is the EXACT new MK262 clone ammunition made to the DEMANDING specs for the
IDF (Israel Defense Force). This ammunition is NOT seconds or surplus, IT IS THE REAL DEAL
and it came off the exact line that produces the IDF ammunition. IMI has just introduced this fully checked, COMBAT tested round under the IMI "RAZOR CORE" brand name.

It features the world famous IMI brass case. This case is made to exacting IMI milspec and is
checked for all dimensions before proceeding to the loading area. This brass has a case wall
concentricity second to none which helps insure accuracy. The web is thick and the case is designed
to be reloaded many times over. The engineers are IMI understand reloading and if they make a superior case to start with, then the  reloading will take care of itself. It has the annealing mark on the neck.

It features a military 41 type non-corrosive crimped-in primer that is waterproofed.
It features the standard issue IMI military propellant powder.
It features the SIERRA 77gr HPBT MatchKing bullet with cannelure. BUT, the bullet is
special loaded in the case with waterproof sealant like NOTHING ELSE on the market ANYWHERE.
It features an accuracy requirement second to none for military ammunition per IDF requirements.
from Widners

My first thought,... Change the name immediately.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:55:51 AM EDT
[#24]
With the Black Hills stuff touching over a $1 per round, having IMI produce and sell what is practically the same thing for $0.78 per round is definitely a good thing. And with it being the Sierra 77gr. projectile, for the price it would seem to be a good deal.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#25]
If they can produce it at the same price as PRVI 223 75gr Match and it is 5.56mm with crimped primers and case sealer then I will be all over it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:00:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If they can produce it at the same price as PRVI 223 75gr Match and it is 5.56mm with crimped primers and case sealer then I will be all over it.
View Quote

Whats the current price on the Prvi 75gr stuff? I remember when i used to get it for $8.99 per box of 20 from PSA roughly two years ago.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Whats the current price on the Prvi 75gr stuff? I remember when i used to get it for $8.99 per box of 20 from PSA roughly two years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't hear great things about the Prvi stuff.  But for the price it couldn't be beaten.  I imagine the cost for the "Razor Core" will be around $15 per 20.  But that is just a WAG.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

With the Black Hills stuff touching over a $1 per round, having IMI produce and sell what is practically the same thing for $0.78 per round is definitely a good thing. And with it being the Sierra 77gr. projectile, for the price it would seem to be a good deal.
View Quote
Yeah that's all fine and dandy if it has the same accuracy as the BH ammo....call me a skeptic.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#29]
From Wideners' brag sheet:

This is the EXACT new MK262 clone ammunition made to the DEMANDING specs for the
IDF (Israel Defense Force). This ammunition is NOT seconds or surplus, IT IS THE REAL DEAL
and it came off the exact line that produces the IDF ammunition. IMI has just introduced this fully checked, COMBAT tested round under the IMI "RAZOR CORE" brand name.
View Quote

At less than $1 a round, their first shipment did not last long.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's because it isn't even for sale yet.

According to their emails, they expect to have it in around the 29th.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I didn't hear great things about the Prvi stuff.  But for the price it couldn't be beaten.  I imagine the cost for the "Razor Core" will be around $15 per 20.  But that is just a WAG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to their emails: $16:50 per box of 20, and $390.00 for a 500 round case.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#32]
the ammo is now available for sale at wideners.

After some consideration -- I decided to pass.  Basically unreasonably priced for my pocket.  Midway lists 500 Sierra match bullets at 130$ (backordered though).  It is hard to justify the Widener's price of $390 for the IMI loaded.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

After some consideration -- I decided to pass.  Basically unreasonably priced for my pocket.  Midway lists 500 Sierra match bullets at 130$ (backordered though).  It is hard to justify the Widener's price of $390 for the IMI loaded.  
View Quote
Yeah I hear you, the IMI ammo might be good for people who don't reload.  I reload the exact same thing for $0.28 and the loads are actually tailored to my rifle.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yeah I hear you, the IMI ammo might be good for people who don't reload.  I reload the exact same thing for $0.28 and the loads are actually tailored to my rifle.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does yours include the rabid badger though?

TRG
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG
We have a shortage of badgers down in GA so I went with monkeys infected with ebola instead.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point, this is true.  What powder are you using for the 77 OTM?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I use RL15 and H335I still need to work up a load using 8208XBR

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Off-topic, but this is where the rabid badger stuff came from:

"Xtreme Rabid Badger Rounds signal a paradigm shift in home defense and anti-terrorism ammunition. Utilizing the same state of the art technology that puts foam dinosaurs in those plastic capsules that dissolve in hot water, I've been able to enhance what would be otherwise boring hollowpoint ammunition with a rabid badger core. The exact process is like, totally secret and proprietary.

Upon striking the body of your target, a rabid badger is unleashed through a process that involves a lot of really hard to understand math and physics calculations, and possibly some magic. The resulting stopping power goes beyond devastating, and is actually completely unable to be measured. In every ballistic test conducted, the badger ate the gelatin block, and then quickly turned on the testers.

My cores use very expensive laboratory grade badgers that are 99.9% pure, and 100% insane with rabies.

The shock of a rabid badger bursting from a teammate's body and then going totally nuts adds a psychological warfare element unmatched by any other ammunition maker in the industry today. To further enhance this, I took a cue from the A-10 Warthog, and painted a scary face on each and every round.

Already in use by Elite Team Fighting and many other highly trained special operations forces around the world, XRBR rounds represent the zenith in small arms ammunition technology. Get yours today!"  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

"Xtreme Rabid Badger Rounds signal a paradigm shift in home defense and anti-terrorism ammunition. Utilizing the same state of the art technology that puts foam dinosaurs in those plastic capsules that dissolve in hot water, I've been able to enhance what would be otherwise boring hollowpoint ammunition with a rabid badger core. The exact process is like, totally secret and proprietary.

Upon striking the body of your target, a rabid badger is unleashed through a process that involves a lot of really hard to understand math and physics calculations, and possibly some magic. The resulting stopping power goes beyond devastating, and is actually completely unable to be measured. In every ballistic test conducted, the badger ate the gelatin block, and then quickly turned on the testers.

My cores use very expensive laboratory grade badgers that are 99.9% pure, and 100% insane with rabies.

The shock of a rabid badger bursting from a teammate's body and then going totally nuts adds a psychological warfare element unmatched by any other ammunition maker in the industry today. To further enhance this, I took a cue from the A-10 Warthog, and painted a scary face on each and every round.

Already in use by Elite Team Fighting and many other highly trained special operations forces around the world, XRBR rounds represent the zenith in small arms ammunition technology. Get yours today!"  

Outstanding!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Just bought a case to try it. If it shoots like mk262 then it will be GTG.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Just picked up 1k.  Range report when I can get it out to the range.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Outstanding!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Outstanding!

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Back off the fanboyism of IMI for a second....

LOTS of companies make heavy OTM rounds.  Federal Premium,  Hornady, Prvi Partizan, Black Hills, etc the list goes on.

Now to go around the tech forums saying that this is the shit and its amazing without seeing any kinds of tests or reports doesnt belong in the tech forums. People read these forums and assume what they read is mainly accurrate.
View Quote

I agree. I'm a huge IMI fan, however I still want to see how this stuff flies. I have a stash of some of the BH stuff, and I'm going to order some of this new IMI this week. Once it warms up to acceptable levels, I plan on shooting them side by side to see how well the IMI compares. I'm hoping to see good results, as this stuff is priced well right now at Wideners.

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

Tech Forum, This is NOT GD.  

I'm calling a mod.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#45]
 LOL

I may get some if there is any left.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
 LOL

View Quote

Ooh!  I'd love it if you plinked some piggies and song dogs with it and gave us an AAR!
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It's a 77gr SMK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 LOL

Ooh!  I'd love it if you plinked some piggies and song dogs with it and gave us an AAR!

It's a 77gr SMK.

Basically the only thing we DONT know is the consistency and accuracy of the ammo
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's a 77gr SMK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 LOL

It's a 77gr SMK.

Yes.  I know.  Other people's problems with using matchkings on critters has never squared with my own experiences.  I take broadsides and head shots.  The 69 grain SMKs have always killed the crap out of every critter I ever shot with one.  Many deer DRT.  I would have zero qualms with sniping pigs with a hot 77gr. SMK load.

ETA:  What the heck, I ordered a case too.  The ammo budget is tight, but I'm splitting it with a co-worker.  I want to see how this stuff stacks up against BH MK262 Mod 1 ammo.   I have a small stash of the BH.  If the dang weather ever warms up around here maybe I'll get to even try it.LOL
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#50]
if their m193 is any indication of how it groups, i am going to guess it'll be GTG since the brown box IMI stuff groups the better than the fed xm193.

back when the izzy were selling us the winchester Q3131A m193 ammo it was also more accurate than federal xm193.

velocity will be another interesting parameter.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top