BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Soak it and scrub it. Use some sort of solvent if need be. You would be suprised what you think is a scratch is really just a mark on the surface.  

I was the same as you when I first bought my 20", mainly because I wanted an Ar since I was very young. After I got my own good paying job I could finally afford one, now I'm over it and don't even care anymore. Now that I have 3 they really get neglected.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I just tried slathering on some CLP and let it sit for a bit.  I then scrubbed at it with a plastic bristled brush, but nothing came off.  I'm going to bed now, but perhaps later I can put a pic up.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#3]
A good excuse to build another one!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Drop it in a bucket of Castrol Super Clean, it will clean that finish right up.
Just kidding dont do that.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#5]
For situations like yours, I use ONLY the finest in tactical custom finishes....
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just tried slathering on some CLP and let it sit for a bit.  I then scrubbed at it with a plastic bristled brush, but nothing came off.  I'm going to bed now, but perhaps later I can put a pic up.

Thoughts?

Try a stronger solvent, scrub harder, use a touch up pen or just learn to live with it. If it did scratch past the anodizing it's not a big deal, aluminum doesn't rust. It can corrode, but I suspect it's quality aluminum and gets cleaned enough to prevent the corrosion.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:07:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Just tell everyone that you got in a firefight and that they ought to see the "other guy's" rifle....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:35:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Just shoot it, it won't let you down because you scratched it
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:47:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Dude you just gave me flashbacks of basic.
Clatter (sound only an M16 (or AR15) makes when hitting the floor)
Drill Sargeant "GO DOWN WITH IT"
Soldier "1 DRILL SARGEANT, 2 DRILL SERGEANT, 3 DRILL SERGEANT" etc.

Do 20 pushups if you must to make yourself feel better.
PA

+1 for memories.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:07:15 AM EDT
[#10]
leave the scratch.

use a perment marker
use shoe polish
paint the rifle

buy another lower and use this one as a beater.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:11:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Were going to make four pages on a scratch.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:36:08 AM EDT
[#12]
It's a scratch. Get over it. Now go shoot the crap out of that gun. You haven't come down with Black Rifle diease yet, got buy or build another one and you'll forget about the scratches on the 1st one.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:42:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It's a scratch. Get over it. Now go shoot the crap out of that gun. You haven't come down with Black Rifle diease yet, got buy or build another one and you'll forget about the scratches on the 1st one.

+1

but do what I do.......................use a birchwood caseys touch-up paint pen...........$8.00........easy fix.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:58:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Humm, maybe use a black crayon to fill the scratch.  Since people use red and white to show the logos, maybe black will hide scratches.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:16:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I fear some of you would cry to see the scratches I have on my acog, let alone my rifle.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:44:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I fear some of you would cry to see the scratches I have on my acog, let alone my rifle.

I would too if my Acog got scrated.  Cant hurt to see some pictures
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:11:43 AM EDT
[#17]
The tribunal demands picture of this scratch!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:20:40 AM EDT
[#18]
post a picture you wuss.......................
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:25:50 AM EDT
[#19]
What in the name of unholy Indian butt sex is the world coming to?  First we have an airsoft banner, now we've got somebody posting about "the emotion of the moment" when desribing a scratch.  C'mon, ma'am.  Post a pic.  I'll show you mine if you show me yours....

Seriously, get over the scratch.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would too if my Acog got scrated.  Cant hurt to see some pictures

I would love to but the bandwidth I get here barely allows me to get online posting pictures is next to impossible, I have atleast 4 or 5 good ones over a inch long on it.  It is a tool just like the rifle is a tool, I am not abusing it, becuase you should never abuse tools you stake your life on, but she does get worked. And just like people who work in dangerous enviorments, the rifle will recive scars to remind her and the owner of the memories.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Let the CLP sit on it for 1 week and wipe off with your panties

ETA:  Watch the underwater bump firing - you do not want it to rust.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:37:00 AM EDT
[#22]
SHOW US THE FREAKING SCRATCH!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Its Aluminium, its not going to rust or corrode.

The finish is there to kind the gun from being some bright a shiny object and it adds some scratch protection.

Get over it.

Go shoot it a couple 1000 rounds and call in good.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1

I just use the cheapest flat black paint you can find.  I only spritz the front sight post and base to keep a nice black sight picture, though!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I would love to but the bandwidth I get here barely allows me to get online posting pictures is next to impossible, I have atleast 4 or 5 good ones over a inch long on it.  It is a tool just like the rifle is a tool, I am not abusing it, becuase you should never abuse tools you stake your life on, but she does get worked. And just like people who work in dangerous enviorments, the rifle will recive scars to remind her and the owner of the memories.

IM sent
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Nothing...it adds character...hr

Well, like my wife likes to remind me,,,"Scars are tattoo's but with better stories"., Just leave it, it makes the rifel more of a working machine than a wall-hanger.

Just my 2 cents.

John

"I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going"
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok ok, I know, I know.  It's not that big of a deal.  In fact, I don't really mind it too much now.  But it really sux to see a huge scratch on your "not even two-weeks-old" AR.  Especially when it's something I've been wanting and saving for for a very long time.

Actually, I don't think that I actually scratched the lower at all.  I cannot feel any indention under the scratch with my finger.  Instead, I think that I just left a line of aluminum on the lower (from the corner of the mag I was using to push on the assembly pin).

Should I try to remove the mark or just cover it up with a touch-up pen?  What would remove the mark?

For your enjoyment:  

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#28]
If you have to get that close to see it, it's not a scratch
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Ok ok, I know, I know.  It's not that big of a deal.  In fact, I don't really mind it too much now.  But it really sux to see a huge scratch on your "not even two-weeks-old" AR.  Especially when it's something I've been wanting and saving for for a very long time.

Actually, I don't think that I actually scratched the lower at all.  I cannot feel any indention under the scratch with my finger.  Instead, I think that I just left a line of aluminum on the lower (from the corner of the mag I was using to push on the assembly pin).

Should I try to remove the mark or just cover it up with a touch-up pen?  What would remove the mark?

For your enjoyment:  

tinypic.com/jadksi.jpg

AAAAAAUUUUUGH! for godsakes fix that thing
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

For your enjoyment:  

tinypic.com/jadksi.jpg

That’s not even my gun but it still hurts to look at

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#31]
OH MY GOD!!! I scratched one of my Craftsman wrenches.

While I was working on my AR!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#32]
HAR Har ......"I scratched my gun" ROTFL .
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#33]
That isn't a scratch, it is material left on the surface of your receiver.  Clean it off if it bothers you.

Hylton-  We know that it bothers you......
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Cover it with a black sharpie felt tip.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
That isn't a scratch, it is material left on the surface of your receiver.  Clean it off if it bothers you.

Hylton-  We know that it bothers you......

That is for damn sure!!!!! we aren't ever going to let you live that other "I have a scratch on my AR" thread/fiasco you started a while back!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#36]
The good news is ....you wont do that agian
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Yes, it does bother me actually.  What are my options for removing the material on the surface?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, it does bother me actually.  What are my options for removing the material on the surface?

Breakfree CLP or some brake cleaner should do the trick
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember a few pages back, where I told you to use CLP?  Try it, and scrub hard.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I left several drops of breakfree CLP on it last night for 15-20 minutes then scrubbed at it with a plastic-bristled brush....nothing.

Should I leave it on longer?  Or use a different type of cleaner/brush?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Try a rag, and be prepared to scrub for awhile.  There are many cleaners out there, but CLP is a pretty safe way to start.  Real cleaners will probably give better results than a general purpose CLP.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Use that big brush you have next to your gas grill. That is sure to get that little scuff off your lower
P.S. Don't really do it
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#43]
You made me blow vodka on my keyboard......  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Stickman, help a noob out.  What do you consider a "real cleaner"?  I'm visiting my local gun shop tomorrow and am going to pick up a few things.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Stickman, help a noob out.  What do you consider a "real cleaner"?  I'm visiting my local gun shop tomorrow and am going to pick up a few things.  Thanks.

If it doesn't give you cancer its not cleaning anything.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Look at what cleans barrels.  Everyone has their own brand that they love.  While you are there, pick up a boresnake if you are looking for something that is helpful.  It won't do anything for your scratch, but it swipes barrels pretty clean pretty quick.  Lets face it, the less time you spend with a cleaning rod right now the better.....

Every once in awhile, you will still need to clean your barrel with real solvent, but the bore snake is a nice quick way to get her pretty clean.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Lets face it, the less time you spend with a cleaning rod right now the better.....

Ass.

Seriously though.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#48]
No problem, thanks for keeping it in good humor.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Sure thing.

I've done three applications of CLP and given the spot a work over with a plastic brush three times as well tonight.  The aluminum mark is about 50% less now.  I may leave it like that.

I'll probably pick up a bore snake tomorrow as well.  I do have a cleaning rod, but I keep hearing how simple and quick bore snakes are.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#50]
That scratch should "buff right out"  work it over with your thumb...careful not to break a nail
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top