User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Iam left-eye dominant, somewhat ambi but more right than left. I shoot pistols better with the right hand although I sight with my left eye. I have always, since I was a boy, shot rifles and bows from the left side. It makes ejection kinda funky at times with semi-autos but really no problem.

It's just never been a problem for me. I expect that left-handed people have much more trouble adapting to a right-handed society, than I have had with shooting left-eyed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm also left eye dominate/right handed. At first it drove me nuts but its kind of been a blessing because now i can shoot ambi both rifles/shotguns/pistols. I forced my self to learn to shoot left handed and im not starting to shoot right handed more again. When i go  to the range i try to split it 50/50 right and left handed. hopefully the optic sight will help me shoot easier right handed with my new ar
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow... I never thought there were so many people with this.  I've always been left eye dominant but right handed.

With a rifle, I don't have problems, but sometimes I need to wink my left eye...  I can shoot just fine with a rifle either left or right handed, and am slightly more accurate firing lefty, but feel more comfortable shooting rightie...  go figure.  lol
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm blind in my right eye so I guess that'd make me left eye-dominant. To bad I'm right handed. Shoot pistols right and try to practice left just to be, well, hell, able to do so. Not as good at the left bit yet. Something about not doing as well creates negative re-enforcemnet and to be honest I just hate a target with a pretty center surrounded by holes.
Shoot rifles lefty and can pull off righty but it's damn awkward and looks it as well. A red-dot optic makes the process much easier but it's still pretty hard on the nose. Certainly won't try it with my slug rifle.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm right handed but left eye dominant.  Not a big deal with a handgun but when I'm holding an AR I feel most comfortable with it on the left shoulder.  How many of you are cross dominant and how do you shoot. Do you just go with it or try to shoot off the uncomfortable shoulder?  If I'm shooting prone I can shoot off my right shoulder without much trouble but if the gun has a pistol grip I shoot off the left.

Yep......That's me too - When I was 20 yrs old I notice this same problem, so instead of fighting I just started shooting from the left side and never look back. However,  I still can shoot from the right side (my weak side, but I'm still right handed) fairly well, which is better than some folks can say. I look at it as an advantage more then a handicap. Either shoulder, I can throw rounds range pretty decent .
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
shooting Isoceles`  is the best way for cross dominate eye shooters to work with the handgun or the rifle, keep your rifle and handgun stances the SAME.  the Isoceles` works great for this becasue of the trianglelar shape your body makes which puts the weapon system strait out in front of the eyes (meaning if your body is alinged strait behind the weapon then cross-domination dosent matter.)  unlike the weaver stance which will blade your body and throw of your sight and eye alingment. and obviously red-dot optics helps a great deal as well, but our shooting platforms start with our base (stance) weather cross-dom or not.

As foar as the Prone if you want to continue to shoot the same shoulder, then the only thing to do is close your dominate eye and force the other to work or vise-a-versa.  the prone dosent really matter anyways as far as having both eyes open or not, but in TAC shooting it does for obvious reasons.

hope this helps a little

Thanks for the Tip and especially the graphic!
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/simplydynamic/trieye.jpg

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#7]
 My father saw early on that I was left eyed so he trained me at the age of five to use my left sholder for rifle. Because I was right handed he trained me to shoot right handed with pistol. So when I am out tactical shooting I wear my pistol on my right thigh and shoot left sholdered with the rifle.   I know, I look funny, but when it comes to transitions it helps a little.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#8]
tagged for later reading
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I am left eye dominant and right handed.  I have recentely been practicing operating a film camera and find that using an eyepatch on my dominant eye forces my weak eye to become dominant.  I find that putting a piece of scotch tape on the left lense of my glasses also forces my right eye to become dominant.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I am, and I've struggled with it my whole life.  If I can take my time, I'm a very good shooter, but it's very hard for me to shoot fast being "wrong eyed".
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:19:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
shooting Isoceles`  is the best way for cross dominate eye shooters to work with the handgun or the rifle, keep your rifle and handgun stances the SAME.  the Isoceles` works great for this becasue of the trianglelar shape your body makes which puts the weapon system strait out in front of the eyes (meaning if your body is alinged strait behind the weapon then cross-domination dosent matter.)

I do not agree with all the above.  The isosceles stance may be the best for a cross dominant shooter.  BUT to say that cross domination doesn't matter goes too far.

Put it to the test.  Take the isosceles stance and pick out a target.  Then close one eye and note the POA.  Then reverse the closed eye.  I bet your POA changes.

It HAS to change.  Geometry requires it.

The front and rear sights have to be in STRAIGHT alignment with one of your two eyes, regardless of the style of stance you take.

Thus sight alignment eye ALWAYS matters for precise aiming.

If you shoot enough, and concentrate hard enough, you might be able to change the dominant eye.

I am naturally left eye dominant, but was able to train my right eye to become dominant.  

This has helped tremendously, because it does allow me to keep both eyes open with pistol or rifle.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm right handed, left eye dominant.
With a handgun it's both eyes open.

Long gun and iron sights, gun on right shoulder, right eye open.
Dot or holo sights, both eyes.

I've been shooting this way so long, it feels natural to me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
shooting Isoceles`  is the best way for cross dominate eye shooters to work with the handgun or the rifle, keep your rifle and handgun stances the SAME.  the Isoceles` works great for this becasue of the trianglelar shape your body makes which puts the weapon system strait out in front of the eyes (meaning if your body is alinged strait behind the weapon then cross-domination dosent matter.)  unlike the weaver stance which will blade your body and throw of your sight and eye alingment. and obviously red-dot optics helps a great deal as well, but our shooting platforms start with our base (stance) weather cross-dom or not.

.photobucket.com/albums/y65/simplydynamic/trieye.jpg

SIMPLYDYNAMIC
Question if I may?  I am left eye dominant, and right handed.  I shoot with two hands, both eyes open.  When my right eye is closed (using my thumb to cover a traget) and then I open the left and close the right the thumb moves way left of target.  If I open both eyes, there are two thumbs, left one being more pronounced.  With both eyes open at 12 meters I am way left of center of the target.  If I apply masking tape over the left lens of my shooting glasses, I shoot in the centerline.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm a righty that is left eye dominant.  I've found with an EOTech that if its mounted forwad enough over the barrel that I can shoot it right handed and still be "on" with it.  

I also took some training that forced me to shoot offhand and it was quite an eye opener.  I had almost zero issues shooting a rifle both left handed and right handed.  As long as I am using a red dot type optic I feel comfortable shooting right handed.  When I have to shoot irons I slow down a lot shooting right handed but I can still do it.  With irons I prefer shooting lefty.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm a righty that is left eye dominant.  I've found with an EOTech that if its mounted forwad enough over the barrel that I can shoot it right handed and still be "on" with it.  WgjhsafT  Could you elaborate on what an EOTech is?  Where does it go on a handgun?  Sorry don't know.

I also took some training that forced me to shoot offhand and it was quite an eye opener.  What kind of training?  I had almost zero issues shooting a rifle both left handed and right handed.  As long as I am using a red dot type optic I feel comfortable shooting right handed.  When I have to shoot irons I slow down a lot shooting right handed but I can still do it.  With irons I prefer shooting lefty.

Thank you in advance for both your input and experiences.  Mt rifles ahve scopes, so I seem OK.  It is the handguns I have issues with.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Yo
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top