Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i bet i could give you a good 5 inch group on paper.

You'd better get over to CAMP PERRY!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i bet i could give you a good 5 inch group on paper.

You'd better get over to CAMP PERRY!

a big plus one marko

" I bet I could" = he has no idea what he's talking about. It's one thing to suppose, it's another to actually do.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#3]
That's standing up in the wind too!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]
havent shot anything smaller than high power targets with irons at 300.  with a scope i can hit golf balls at 400.  try a small ball type front sight post, wont obscure the target as bad.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
craig me to a pie plate is about the smallest target I can identify line up the sights on and hit at the distance.  Edit actually the last iron sight shooting I did at 300 yards I was hitting a Tide bottle that was a little larger than a pie plate and I hit about 80% of the time

I can group better on a silouette at a given range than I can on a target significantly smaller than the front sight post.

With a large siloutte, you focus on the post and shoot center of blur on the target, quite easy.  With a gong, especially one that subtends a much smaller area than the front sight blade covers, when you get a proper focus on the blade, the small target tends to get real distorted or dissappear into the background clutter.

That said, I can hit a 8"*12" gong almost every time using iron sights with my 16 inch carbine from a steady rest.  Still, grouping on a black siloutte wiht no defined central aming point is much easier IMO.

This is exactly why I was trying to make the point of target size Not what group size you can shoot unfortunately several people thought I was actually talking about shooting eggs at 300 yards
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Hey Steve, my upper is sitting at my ups hub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I called and tried to pick it up from them, but when I called they said it didn't have a destination scan.  Then I got home and it DID have a destination scan.  Dang it!!!!  Well as you can see, I can't wait.  Thanks again for shipping so quickly!!!!!!!!!!  

Sorry for interrupting current thread.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I am from Oklahoma and part Cherokee Indian so: "I can kill a buffalo from 100 yards, don't you know, with just an arrow and a hickory bow. I do it all the time."

With my AR you can only imagine............

the above statment may or may not be 100% accurate
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never missed a 300M pop up target with a M16A2 in 6 years of service, but i've never shot at a range where I could use my own targets that far out. Now that I have my own guns, that will change.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#11]
When I was 19, I did a guy in Laos with a rifle shot at a thousand yards in high wind. Maybe eight or even ten guys in the world could have made that shot. It's the only thing I was ever good at...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#12]
300 meters,man sized target, got 20 of 20 in the torso,so that is good enough for me. Wait a minute one round really hit in the groin area,but that would put him down just as fast

ETA: M16A2
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#13]
8.5x11 in piece of paper about 5 times out of 10 with wolf ammo. 300yards, 16" CAR ,A2 sights
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:  300 yards is starting to get out there....

How about twice that far?

Best I've ever done at that distance was 197-10X/200, and the 3 points lost was a 7 at 9 o'clock.  That was with a full blow target rifle with front and rear apertures.

The best i've done with an AR at 600 yds is a 192-6X.

The black dot in the distance is 36" (6 MOA) wide.  The 10 ring is 12", and the X ring is 6"
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Something pretty darn big. I suck with irons. Considering I haven't made shots over 125 yds.(I know) it would at leat have to be man sized.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Al Qaeda MOA.  Gets harder on a two way range.  I am more accurate at farther distances.  FDC, fire for effect.  Since I had PRK, I have a hard time focusing.  The target seems to blur in and out.  Sucks to be ribbed by my soldiers.  Their comments, "is that an EIB or a freEIB".  If I am able to see/focus in on the target long enough, I will probably hit it.  I will probably have to use all of the target too.  300M for me would be a man sized silhoute.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
An egg? with iron sights at 300 yards? Thats going to be about one fifth the size of the front sight post.

Maybe an ostich egg.

A hen's egg at 300 yards with iron sites? I don't think I could do it with a ACOG...(but I pretty-much suck at this gun thing)
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
When I was 19, I did a guy in Laos with a rifle shot at a thousand yards in high wind. Maybe eight or even ten guys in the world could have made that shot. It's the only thing I was ever good at...

Martin Riggs (Mel Gibson) in the original Lethal Weapon movie.  Do I win a prize?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#19]
300 yd/meter is a long way.  I had my uncle (great white hunter) tell me that he shot a deer on the run at 700yds.  I just laugh and tell him that I am willing to bet a Benny that he can't hit a stationary deer size target at 300 yards with 10 shots.  Funny he will never take it.  I have put 25% of a 20 rnd mag on an IPSC target at 375yds but I would not call that a group more of a pattern.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Im good enough with irons to destroy anything I can see and get a shot at..thats good enough for me
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I averaged about 75% hits on a 10" plate @ 300m.

Iron sights. Prone position. <6 cups of coffee.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I was able to hit 12" steel plate @ 300 yards 50% of the time before I got glasses. After, I was able to hit it 75% of the time. Then I put in a thinner front post and never miss it, even with my Su-16ca. The key is sight. If you can't see it, you won't hit it. With my DPMS 16" bull barrel, 24x scope and my reloads I can hit under 3 inches at 300 yards. I love firing off 30 rounds at the steel plate in rapid fire with my DPMS. "THUNK THUNK THUNK THUNK THUNK......" That always draws a crowd
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I thought that you can't hit what you can't see.  If you can't  see an egg at 300 yards...how are you suppose to hit it?  

I've never shot at 300 yards...but I hope I could hit a torso sized target.  I can shoot pop cans at 80ish yrds with my irons.  But that's prone with a sling.  And only if the can is orange or red, ora  color I can easily see in the grass/dirt.    

I'm glad this came up.  I'm anxious to see what my new AR will do. I know for a fact I can hit an "E" type silhouette at three hundred meters, because I do it all the time.  But I have no idea where the hits are, or how closely they would be grouped. I've never been able to get any feedback except this past summer at Camp Guernsey, where the first time I fired an M24 I was able to consistently place three rounds under a pastie, with two touching.  I think it says a lot more about the weapon system than my admittedly limited shooting skills.  I should be able to go to SOTIC this year though. At any rate, my one and only visit to a civilian range with my new AR yielded 3 inch groups at 100 yards, with iron sights, from a supported (not benched) position. Winchester .223 if anyone cares. I don't know if this is good, average, or laughable. I will say that it was at a large M9 pistol silhouette, so there wasn't much to aim at, other than guessing where center mass was. Next time I'll try the ACOG with a bullseye type target. By the way, I purchased the .052 inch front sight post, and even it would completely cover an egg sized target at 300 yards.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Martin Riggs (Mel Gibson) in the original Lethal Weapon movie.  Do I win a prize?

Bingo. You can have my bottle of Polo left over from that era. I think I wore some when I had a date to see that movie...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#25]
At 300 yards with irons and not shooting off a bench I can hit a standard pie plate, but not routinely enough to say I'm good at it. Hell, since I wear glasses anything smaller than a pie plate at 200 yards is damn hard to see. I routinely put up 20 oz. Coke bottles at 200 and they are very hard to see, let alone hit, at that distance. Shooting at such a small target usually just ends up making my eyes hurt.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#26]
You guys with good eyes suck.  I'm stuck with a blind spot in the center of the left eye's vision but still have peripheral vision over there so the brain has to compensate. Can you say 'poor depth perception ' .  When I get really fatigued I start to get double vision unless I concentrate and make it go away. Migraine soon to follow.

I need bifocals to get the right side usable.  On a rifle the front sight is inside the distance vision lens' focus and beyond the close lens focus.  Scopes are cool.  I love my 24X BR Leupold.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#27]
With my 50 year old eyes and bifocals I can hit center of mass consistently at 300 yards offhand.  7 out of 10 shots on average using a standard B-27.  At 100 yards I'll shoot your eye out.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I am ok.

Max
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You guys with good eyes suck.  I'm stuck with a blind spot in the center of the left eye's vision but still have peripheral vision over there so the brain has to compensate. Can you say 'poor depth perception ' .  When I get really fatigued I start to get double vision unless I concentrate and make it go away. Migraine soon to follow.

I need bifocals to get the right side usable.  On a rifle the front sight is inside the distance vision lens' focus and beyond the close lens focus.  Scopes are cool.  I love my 24X BR Leupold.

I'll give you the same advice I give my pilots who wear bifocals, "tell the eye-dock at what distance you need to focus. " I tell pilots to measure the distance from their eye to the center of their instruments (say the HSI), so measure from your eye to the front sight, and tell the eye doc I need my close perscription to focux to X inches.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't even bother to try and hit something at 300 meters. Waste of ammo; Wait 'till the target's closer; about 200 meters before you cap it. I can hit accurately @ 200 meters with A2 sights, but with an M16A2; M4s are not the best thing for anything over 150 meters.

This is what I use in my job as an MP:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Others/MyBoomstick.jpg

I can hit  the target at 300 without the scope (they don't let me use it during qualifications), just don't expect me to hit a quarter size target at 300 meters with iron sights, unless you give me a sniper rifle.

I'm good, but not THAT good. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't have any ranges near me out past 200 so I can't tell ya how good I am out past that. I will say that at 100 you tack a quarter to something and its done. At 200 I'm pretty decent as well.

I want a scope though...not to big on the irons.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
just don't expect me to hit a quarter size target at 300 meters with iron sights, unless you give me a sniper rifle.

If you can consistently hit a quarter at 300m, WITH a sniper rifle.... then you are one of the best in the world.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Let's just say that on my rifles, my irons are indeed back up iron sights. If I need to resort to irons for anything over 100yds, its time to pull out the betaC mag and hope for the best.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Did some shooting at 300yds this morning with my M16A2.  With M855 and M856 (mixed mag) kept 90% rounds on E-type silhouette.  Moved back to almost 500yds, added 7 clicks elevation, used 20rds of Mk 262 Mod 1 and again shot 90% (called the two I pulled).  Target is half the thickness of the front sight at this range.  All shooting from the prone unsupported.  Can do the same thing with my issued M4A1 and irons sights.  Just need to work harder on the fundementals and more elevation adjustments.  The All Army Service Match is in 2 months, not much pratice time left.

CD
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I just went over my log book...
My personal best at 300 prone-rapid was a 97-1X.  I usually average in the low to mid 90s at 300.

However, there's no frackin' way I would be able to see an egg at 300, let alone hit one.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:03:43 AM EDT
[#36]
I thought an egg at 300yrds ... no problem... so i tried it yesterday after reading the post ... first off everyone is right you can't even see an egg at 300yrds with irons (I have 20/20 vision). so after about a 30rnd mag from my ar with irons and no yolk I got annoyed ... 2 .308rnds out of my 700 with fixed 10 power and I got what I was looking for,a big explosion of yellow puke like substance ... so my conclusion is NO joy with irons on the egg at 300 but I can ALWAYS count on my Remington
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:14:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I don't even bother to try and hit something at 300 meters. Waste of ammo; Wait 'till the target's closer; about 200 meters before you cap it. I can hit accurately @ 200 meters with A2 sights, but with an M16A2; M4s are not the best thing for anything over 150 meters.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:19:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Our range's terminating berm is 350 yards from the shooting tables. We placed two silohuette targets. The first was for practice, and the second was for the money. I used a reworked 1903A3 springfield. It took about a box to adjust for bullet drop and the little wind going cross range. I fired all five rounds, and all five were in the target. One was a head shot around the chin area, 3 would have made him crap in a bag for the rest of his life, and the last was a lung shot. The group wasn't tight, but I felt satisfied with what I had done. I'm sure a USMC scout/sniper could have done a lot better, but oh well. Basically the dude would have been dead or dying, and in a gunfight thats what really matters I guess.

The craziest shot I ever saw was a beer bottle with a M1A at around 300 yards. I watched it through the spotting scope. I guess thats why he is head of the ERU team. Pretty cool. It was Budweiser so I wasn't sad about the beer.hug.gif
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#39]
I've been known to hit the black out to 1K yards.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:07:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Yesterday I went shooting.  I got back as far as I could @ my range, 150 yards.

Prone, with sling, I kept all 20 rounds on a 9" white paper plate.  I squeezed off each shot as fast as I could get my front sight post back on target.  Didnt even really focus on my breathing.  Just wanted to see if I could get  them all on the plate.  

I was happy with it, and will put a black 5" bullseye on it next time, and really take my time.  I think a black center would give me a smaller spot to aim for.  

I'd like to try 300 sometime, If I can get to a range that goes out that far.  

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:31:58 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
edited-I didn't see that you said 300 yards...

I can shoot minute-of-broadside-of-a-barn at at 300...

I just went out again. I ended up getting 10 shots in a 5" circle (aside from 2 that I completely screwed up). This is from a bench, but just me, rifle on a bipod, and a scope. No fancy vise/rest, etc.

I've been very pleased with it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:58:46 AM EDT
[#42]
I'll find out. Never shot that far with irons before.

Just bought 4 12" steel plates. Current range distance ~500yds with brush, 300 cleared and visible. Going out next weekend and will post pics! Ha

ETA, not going to be using that mil surp crap. BH Blue box, 60grn AMAX or equivilant reload. Bushy M4( we can call it that now )

We'll see how far my "I can't see shit" distance is.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top