Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 20" A1 1/7 barrels are available again. > Link.

Also, 10% off $150.00 + free shipping with code MFD... Today only though.

I have no idea if these will have the suppressor cut threads like the 1/12 barrels had... I would assume that they do.
View Quote
Yeah I would also venture to guess the relief cut is there. Seems too soon to come back available...
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yeah I would also venture to guess the relief cut is there. Seems too soon to come back available...
View Quote
I would bet that these were probably just being received by Brownells as you were finding out about the issue with your barrel.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I would bet that these were probably just being received by Brownells as you were finding out about the issue with your barrel.
View Quote
I agree. Although a few days ago I saw 1/12 and 1/7 go out of stock in the same day. I thought that was due to the barrel issues....but perhaps not!
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry about the late reply. I've been busy with other stuff.

Yes, I got the BCG from brownells, one of their house chrome BCGs.

I don't have the barrel yet, but I did order one of the 1/7s on the 23rd. When I receive it I'll take photos and whatnot of it. All I lack now is the upper, so I'm waiting on that to come back in stock. Hopefully I'll have the spare cash when they do come back in stock. After that, all I need to do is actually build the thing. Whoop whoop!
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sorry about the late reply. I've been busy with other stuff.

Yes, I got the BCG from brownells, one of their house chrome BCGs.

I don't have the barrel yet, but I did order one of the 1/7s on the 23rd. When I receive it I'll take photos and whatnot of it. All I lack now is the upper, so I'm waiting on that to come back in stock. Hopefully I'll have the spare cash when they do come back in stock. After that, all I need to do is actually build the thing. Whoop whoop!
View Quote
Ughhh so I got my BCG on discount via Daniel Defense....only...in black. I just assumed the chrome carrier would be more expensive but after looking, it was the same price! How correct is a chrome BCG to the A1? I might have to spring for a chrome instead lol. When those uppers come in, I might just get two...by the way!
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#6]
That depends on which m16 you're building. 601, 602, 603 XM16E1, 603 M16A1, etc.

Have a look here. http://www.retroblackrifle.com/

My rifle most closely resembles an early XM16E1, with the obvious exception of having an a2 lower.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 1:54:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Barrel came in.

Link Posted: 12/31/2017 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Did it have the suppressor groove behind the threads? I'm thinking that it didn't since your crush washer looks centered.

Also, was there any resistance threading on your 3 prong flash suppressor?
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#9]
No groove that I could tell, and the muzzle device threaded right on with no problems. The only limiting factor was how fast I could turn it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#10]
prices arent that crazy. i bought A2, Car15 in 1989 for about 1000 each.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 11:47:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I like that 3 prong but I'm going for a...603 is it? The A
Colt M16A1 that is
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:28:25 AM EDT
[#12]
From what I hear, you can realistically find all sorts of different combinations; likely fixing rifles with parts they already had. If I had an A1 lower and if it were all in XM Grey, the rifle I'm building could easily be one found in the field.

Going by what retroblackrifle.com says....
602 and early 603 XM16E1s could be found with the 3 prong style flash suppressor that I have. 601s had an earlier 'duckbill' 3 prong, which didn't have a gentle taper like what mine does. From the late 603 to the final M16A1, they used the A1 birdcage, not to be confused with the A2 birdcage we see today.

Ignoring the 3rd pin in the receiver, A true M16A1 would have had a full fence A1 lower, parkarized BCG with teardrop forward assist, a1 birdcage, and the a1 stock with trapdoor. I think this is referred to as a 'type e' stock, I'm not sure.

If you want to be accurate, and early 603 would have been the latest rifle built (again according to retroblackrifle.com, which seems to be gospel for this kind of thing) with the later 3 prong flash hider, but then you would run into an error, because these have the 'partial fence' and not the 'full fence' like we see on just about everything today. This also has the same style stock that brownells reproductions are. If the fencing doesn't bother you, nodakspud makes a partial fence lower.

Unless you're trying to build a dedicated clone down to the springs used, do like I did and take your favorite parts of each and put 'em into one. Unless someone really knows their M16s, they'll look at any rifle here and say "ooh look, an M16A1!" or "Oh, an old M16! Cool!"
If I'm not mistaken, the 'getting it as close to spec as possible' deal is more for the satisfaction of the guy building it, anyhow. (shrug)

Bottom line: your rifle, and if you want a 3 prong'er on there, then screw one on.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No groove that I could tell, and the muzzle device threaded right on with no problems. The only limiting factor was how fast I could turn it.
View Quote
I just received another Brownells "retro" A1 20" 1/7 barrel yesterday and it has the suppressor groove and tight threads with certain flash suppressors.

My crush washers (from Armageddon Tactical) sit very slightly off center because of the suppressor groove, but luckily my Smith Vortex G6A4 threads on without issue so no washer is needed.

I will likely end up using this barrel for a non retro build.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just received another Brownells "retro" A1 20" 1/7 barrel yesterday and it has the suppressor groove and tight threads with certain flash suppressors.

My crush washers (from Armageddon Tactical) sit very slightly off center because of the suppressor groove, but Luckily my Smith Vortex G6A4 threads on without issue so no washer is needed.

I will likely end up using this barrel for a non retro build.
View Quote
Ugh sucks to see those incorrect barrels are still making their way through to the end user.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ugh sucks to see those incorrect barrels are still making their way through to the end user.
View Quote
Yeah, I figured they would have pulled them like they did with the 1/12 barrels if they found out that they had the suppressor groove.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, I figured they would have pulled them like they did with the 1/12 barrels if they found out that they had the suppressor groove.
View Quote
Did you contact Brownells for a replacement? I know you said you were going to manage dealing with it anyway though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Did you contact Brownells for a replacement? I know you said you were going to manage dealing with it anyway though.
View Quote
Nah, I won't be replacing it... I bought it knowing that it was going to be for a more modern build, while also thinking that I had a 50% chance that I would get one with the suppressor groove.

I really wanted it to work with the > Forward Controls Design 6315 < but it won't get past the first few threads.

I already have two of the 20" 1/7 A1 barrels from their previous run that will go into "retro" builds.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nah, I won't be replacing it... I bought it knowing that it was going to be for a more modern build, while also thinking that I had a 50% chance that I would get one with the suppressor groove.

I really wanted it to work with the > Forward Controls Design 6315 < but it won't get past the first few threads.

I already have two of the 20" 1/7 A1 barrels from their previous run that will go into "retro" builds.
View Quote
Interesting adaption of the A2, cool. Sucks about the threads though. Aren't the two thread patterns supposed to be the same? Oh and if you're waiting for an A2 upper, seems their delivery is imminent over at Brownells. Can't come soon enough.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Interesting adaption of the A2, cool. Sucks about the threads though. Aren't the two thread patterns supposed to be the same? Oh and if you're waiting for an A2 upper, seems their delivery is imminent over at Brownells. Can't come soon enough.
View Quote
Yep, the thread patterns are the same. It might just be a matter of tolerance stacking between the two parts.

Did you mean A1 uppers? I've been watching the A1 upper thread in the Brownells industry forum.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep, the thread patterns are the same. It might just be a matter of tolerance stacking between the two parts.

Did you mean A1 uppers? I've been watching the A1 upper thread in the Brownells industry forum.
View Quote
D'OH! Yep, A1 lol.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:40:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Laid out some parts on the floor today. Just enough to mock up it's appearance. A few parts are missing, obviously, lol. Still nothing on the uppers

If you're curious, it's a major PITA to install handguards without the upper attached (for leverage) and without a gas tube to keep the delta/slip ring assembly and handguard cap straight. Doable, but definitely need a set of helping hands.

Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Laid out some parts on the floor today. Just enough to mock up it's appearance. A few parts are missing, obviously, lol. Still nothing on the uppers

If you're curious, it's a major PITA to install handguards without the upper attached (for leverage) and without a gas tube to keep the delta/slip ring assembly and handguard cap straight. Doable, but definitely need a set of helping hands.

https://i.imgur.com/SuGp63r.jpg
View Quote
Brownells actually replied back to a PM noting the black A1 uppers should be in any day now. Looking good so far!
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#23]
That would be great. I'm itching to put this baby together.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That would be great. I'm itching to put this baby together.
View Quote
Oh me too. Although through email correspondence I asked them the same question and was told "We hope to have these uppers back in stock within the next couple of weeks. That is not a guarantee at this time but is our closest update from our supplier." So who knows. My experience with Brownells is they seem to be all over the place and not on the same page.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Seems to be that way with a lot of companies. I look at it this way: they'll be in stock when they're in stock. Until then, I'll keep enough for the receiver tucked away and while I wait I'll work on upgrading my new 92A1 for carry.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 2:30:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, I read the thread on the brownells barrels having the relief cut. Evidently I wasn't exactly familiar with what I was looking for. Low and behold mine has the relief cut. Fucking. Damn it. I'm debating whether or not to send it back and try to get one that doesn't have this cut. Since I'm using a crush washer, I wouldn't think it would make much of a difference.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 12:49:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Forgot to mention in my last post that I also picked up a sling for Project Vietnam. Initally I was going to buy a surplus sling, but it turns out that they didn't have any left by the time I got back over there. I've learned the hard way that when I go there and I see something that I want, buy it then. Oh well. I wound up at my local Academy Sports & Outdoors and snagged a sling from them, specifically a 'Butler Creek' 'Milspec' Nylon Web sling, for just a touch under 8 bucks before 7% sales tax. Close enough I figure. If you look at the build from a clone / purist perspective, there's so much wrong with it that a sling doesn't make any difference. But, it's not a clone and therefor I am perfectly happy with that.

Of course, while I was there at the surplus store, I picked up another 50 cal ammo box to turn into a truck 'safe' for storing valuables when needed (more on that in a later thread down the road) and a camo jacket. For $10, I thought "what the hell" and snagged it. Very comfortable and surprisingly warm. Of course there's no insignia or any patches of any kind. A couple of pictures for something to stare at while we wait for the upper to come back in stock.

Speaking of parts, however, I've decided not to bother with getting a new barrel. I'll align it by hand and just be happy with it. It's not worth the trouble in my eyes, not when that little thing is the only problem.

Link Posted: 1/22/2018 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Forgot to mention in my last post that I also picked up a sling for Project Vietnam. Initally I was going to buy a surplus sling, but it turns out that they didn't have any left by the time I got back over there. I've learned the hard way that when I go there and I see something that I want, buy it then. Oh well. I wound up at my local Academy Sports & Outdoors and snagged a sling from them, specifically a 'Butler Creek' 'Milspec' Nylon Web sling, for just a touch under 8 bucks before 7% sales tax. Close enough I figure. If you look at the build from a clone / purist perspective, there's so much wrong with it that a sling doesn't make any difference. But, it's not a clone and therefor I am perfectly happy with that.

Of course, while I was there at the surplus store, I picked up another 50 cal ammo box to turn into a truck 'safe' for storing valuables when needed (more on that in a later thread down the road) and a camo jacket. For $10, I thought "what the hell" and snagged it. Very comfortable and surprisingly warm. Of course there's no insignia or any patches of any kind. A couple of pictures for something to stare at while we wait for the upper to come back in stock.

Speaking of parts, however, I've decided not to bother with getting a new barrel. I'll align it by hand and just be happy with it. It's not worth the trouble in my eyes, not when that little thing is the only problem.

https://i.imgur.com/7VXoSOV.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/RzLWz3N.jpg
View Quote
Nice grab! I should consider an ammo can for a truck safe too, lol. Aside from the fact those cans are nearly indestructible and would be perfect for emergency situations/supplies.

On another note, depending on what type of washer you plan on using, it might not work. A correct era split washer will not sit right even in aligned by hand and will eventually pop right off the flange of the barrel under pressure. The problem lies in how the washer eventually is grabbed and pushed into that relief cut area...thus off center...and then is not sitting on the flange entirely.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#29]
What are you doing for Coating?
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Coating for what, exactly?
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What are you doing for Coating?
View Quote
He just showed the picture of his BDU coat!
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Alright guys, I need an opinion or two.

I'm tired of waiting for an A1 upper. Nobody else (except nodak themselves) seems to sell an A1 upper with the forward assist, so it appears I'm out of luck on that route. Flat top is out of the question.

Both Fulton Armory and Del-Ton sell an A2 upper, stripped. I'm beginning to consider an A2 upper instead. That's a bit of a shame considering I don't have an a2 sight kit, only an a1 sight kit, but it's nothing that can't be solved. I lose out on the classic A1 sleekness of it, but at the same time, I don't have that sleekness anyway because I can't get my hands on an upper in the first place. With that does come the ability to adjust for elevation, however plus a case deflector.

Fulton does sell a 604 'slickside' upper, which would give the profile I want, obviously no case deflector (which the brownells upper also lacks) but I would lose out on the forward assist being at my disposal, and also means that overall shape of the teardrop obviously isn't there anymore.

So, what would you do if you were in my shoes? Buy either the A2 upper (and sight kit), buy the 604 upper and forget about the forward assist, or work on other stuff until it eventually comes back in stock, whenever that is?

Honestly, I'm really losing my patience waiting for this thing. They've been out since September or better.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:56:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I’d wait
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 12:13:13 AM EDT
[#34]
I would wait it out.

I really have a feeling that the (black) Brownells A1 uppers are just around the corner.

I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 12:19:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Alright guys, I need an opinion or two.

I'm tired of waiting for an A1 upper. Nobody else (except nodak themselves) seems to sell an A1 upper with the forward assist, so it appears I'm out of luck on that route. Flat top is out of the question.

Both Fulton Armory and Del-Ton sell an A2 upper, stripped. I'm beginning to consider an A2 upper instead. That's a bit of a shame considering I don't have an a2 sight kit, only an a1 sight kit, but it's nothing that can't be solved. I lose out on the classic A1 sleekness of it, but at the same time, I don't have that sleekness anyway because I can't get my hands on an upper in the first place. With that does come the ability to adjust for elevation, however plus a case deflector.

Fulton does sell a 604 'slickside' upper, which would give the profile I want, obviously no case deflector (which the brownells upper also lacks) but I would lose out on the forward assist being at my disposal, and also means that overall shape of the teardrop obviously isn't there anymore.

So, what would you do if you were in my shoes? Buy either the A2 upper (and sight kit), buy the 604 upper and forget about the forward assist, or work on other stuff until it eventually comes back in stock, whenever that is?

Honestly, I'm really losing my patience waiting for this thing. They've been out since September or better.
View Quote
I definitely feel your pain and was lucky to find a NDS A1 upper on Armslist....but I did pay just a tad more. That and have a super small scratch to maybe fix. Otherwise I wouldn't compromise. I think our builds started around the same time, anything deviating just wouldn't be the same. PM sent though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't necessarily want to compromise either. I love the early M16s, and I definitely want that look. I suppose if I had a mind do, I could find a usgi upper, which obviously wouldn't match, put it together and make sure it works. Afterwards I could ship the thing to copper custom and have it all cerakoted a dark grey color, not too far from black, and have them give it a battleworn/distressed look.

Had I known I would be running into this issue, I would have bought a parts kit and done 'er that way. I think the only reason I didn't buy a parts kit, is because I let my mother talk me out of it. I love her to death, but she's a little superstitious. I remember her exact reaction when I mentioned something along the lines of it being parts from a rifle that saw service in Vietnam. "Nope, hmm-mmm. Bad juju....." I've heard of chairs and dolls being haunted, but I guess if anything in this world would have the best chance of being haunted, a rifle from a war would sure as hell be high on that list

I don't know if I believe in that stuff or not (despite the fact some really weird unexplainable shit has happened to me, personally), but it makes for a chuckle. Brings the phrase 'ghost gun' into a whole new meaning.

I did tag the brownells gang in the upper availability thread, so I'm hoping they'll shed some light on this mess. I'll probably just wind up waiting, because I know if I compromise I'll never be happy with it. To be honest, I've spend too much money and time overall on this to not be in love with it when I'm done.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Brownells has the Black A1 uppers in stock!
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Ordered!
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ordered!
View Quote
Good! I was hoping that they wouldn't be gone before you noticed my post.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#40]
I appreciate it.

I'm not exactly sure how long it's going to take to get here, however. I had a box of Fiocchi 9mm sitting in my cart. Apparently it went on sale and subsequently out of stock by the time I ordered it. Now just in case the upper was not in stock I told it to hold the order until everything could ship. The page for the ammo says 'not available for back order' and in a follow-up email from brownells, the ammo was listed under 'canceled items'. However, looking at the receipt it says 'backordered' under the sale price. So I'm really not sure what it's doing. The order itself has been pending for the past three/four hours or so. I guess we'll wait and see.

Either way, I've got an upper with my name on it so I'm OK with that.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Still in stock! I feel like buying another just for the hell of it lol.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#42]
If I had the money, I would.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If I had the money, I would.
View Quote
I ended up splurging on a ridiculously good deal from Midway instead lol. IMI M193, around 450 rounds for like $110 shipped. 0.24 cents a round, I'll take it.

Either way, hope you got the expedited shipping!
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#44]
I got free shipping, 3-5 buisness days via fedex.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm stoked you scored one of the black A1 uppers, I thought of your build as soon as I saw the in stock alert post. Hopefully you get it soon
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm bouncing off the walls over here. I almost want to drive to their warehouse and pick it up myself

Oh well. I've waited this long. What's another week?
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm bouncing off the walls over here. I almost want to drive to their warehouse and pick it up myself

Oh well. I've waited this long. What's another week?
View Quote
Hah right. Glad you have one on the way. After all, for the sake of this thread, you need to finish and test the build!
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Agreed. I haven't spent this much to stop now.

Heh, for all that I've spent, I don't feel like I have very much, lol.

EDIT: I gave Brownells a call in regards to my order. The box of 9mm is taken off since they don't have it (which I don't mind) and it should be shipping out today. I don't know if it will still be going 3-5 days via fedex now that there's no ammo in the box, so we'll just have to see. I will have to amend my receipt though....

EDIT2: In semi-related news, I'm going to cover the..... Fingers? Jaws? Clamp? Whateveryoucallit, on the scissor bipod with heatshrink. I left some heat shrink right at the muzzle of a heatgun on high for two minutes and it didn't decompose or deform in the slightest. Wasn't high quality heat shrink either, just harbor freight stuff. That should keep my barrel from getting chewed up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#49]
How's the build going, I believe you should have received your upper by now?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Nope, haven't gotten it yet.

This is all the information I have, which leads me to believe it's been sitting since the day I ordered it (which I believe was the 6th). I suspect it's going to start moving quickly on monday if it hasn't already been.

As a side note, I've been charged for it. Not a pending charge either, it's theirs.

Update: As of 2:56 CST, not a thing has changed. C'mon, it's nearly the "scheduled day of delivery" and according to the site it hasn't moved an inch.

....why is this process so painful all of a sudden?

Yeah, yeah, first world problems.

Update 2: Date of delievery moved to the 14th.
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top