Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't get a reply from PSA on whether or not what they're selling are the new updated models so I guess I'll just pull the trigger and if it is the old, defective version I will just return it.

Somehow I have a bad feeling it is the old version which is why its so cheap.  Hopefully I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#3]
delete
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 6:59:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I personally never lost faith, but I did stay silent.

I think the issue was overblown.
View Quote
Yes! Another free thinker! I think it took me around 2 months of research before I made the decision based off talking to real operators and not people on the internet. Glad I went with Eotech, and I only paid $340 for my EXPS-2.

Things I found out before purchasing my Eotech:

- Eotech was not the only optic with thermal drift, others just didn't get CAUGHT lying.

- Only a few manufacturers immediately came out and admitted to thermal drift initially, including D.I. Optical, Vortex and someone esle.., can't remember

- I've spoken and have worked with Rangers as well as MARSOC, none that I have brought this topic up to have given a "sh*t" or cared about the thermal drift issue since it's was practically non-existent in the REAL WORLD and weapons are re-zeroed right after arriving in country anyways (extreme change in climate) and yes they STILL preferred Eotech OVER Aimpoint.

- People have admitted to using the refund/return program even after not having a single issue after years of use of their Eotech sight. But even after throwing money at people they are still an evil organization (sarcasm)

- An Eotech rep has stated sales were not even affected during the whole debacle and L3 was in no way affected financially.., which is funny because if you listen to the internets, you'd expect EO to be bankrupt by now or something.

- Multiple engineers were pulled from all across L3 to work on pre-existing issues that are now fixed.

- I've personally witnessed aimpoint fanboys intentionally blow the Eotech debacle way out of proportion just to give praise to their aimpoints

Moral of the story is:
Reality > Internet. Eotechs are awesome. Aren't they said to be the most popular optic in the world still? Pretty sure that's for a good reason.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Love my EXPS-2, I think it took me around 2 months of research before I made the decision based off talking to real operators and not people on the internet. Glad I went with EO.

- Eotech was not the only optic with thermal drift, others just didn't get CAUGHT lying.

- Only a few manufacturers immediately came out and admitted to thermal drift initially, including D.I. Optical, Vortex and someone esle.., can't remember

- I've spoken and have worked with Rangers as well as MARSOC, none that I have brought this topic up to have given a "sh*t" or cared about the thermal drift issue since it's was practically non-existent in the REAL WORLD and weapons are re-zeroed right after arriving in country anyways (extreme change in climate) and yes they STILL preferred Eotech OVER Aimpoint.

- People have admitted to using the refund/return program even after not having a single issue after years of use of their Eotech sight. But yet Eotech is a horrible evil organization for throwing money at people.

- An Eotech rep has stated sales were not even affected during the whole debacle and L3 was in no way affected financially.., which is funny because if you listen to the internets, you'd expect EO to be bankrupt by now or something.

- Multiple engineers were pulled from all across L3 to work on pre-existing issues that are now fixed.

- I've personally witnessed aimpoint fanboys intentionally blow the Eotech debacle way out of proportion just to give praise to their aimpoints

Moral of the story is:
Reality > Internet
View Quote
Great post! I didn’t take advantage of the refunds, and I’ve bought 3 new eotechs in the last year.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:17:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Great post! I didn’t take advantage of the refunds, and I’ve bought 3 new eotechs in the last year.
View Quote
Thanks! Had to go and edit it a little to make sure it didn't seem like I was ranting haha
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:05:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I was considering buying a eotech but have probably changed my mind. A local LE Agency swapped out their old stock eotechs last year for the newer models during the big buyback/swap. During qualifications  4 of 25 on were found defective. I saw video of one defective unit that had the little red plate just rattling around inside( sorry, don't know the verbiage). They have been removed from all patrol rifles and the LEOs had to re-qualify with iron sites. Ironically, the average qualification score went up when officers were shooting iron sites.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes! Another free thinker! I think it took me around 2 months of research before I made the decision based off talking to real operators and not people on the internet. Glad I went with Eotech, and I only paid $340 for my EXPS-2.

Things I found out before purchasing my Eotech:

- People have admitted to using the refund/return program even after not having a single issue after years of use of their Eotech sight. But even after throwing money at people they are still an evil organization (sarcasm)

Moral of the story is:
Reality > Internet. Eotechs are awesome. Aren't they said to be the most popular optic in the world still? Pretty sure that's for a good
View Quote
All of the refunds given out to people are a tax write off. Hence not L3 not being affected financially.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All of the refunds given out to people are a tax write off. Hence not L3 not being affected financially.
View Quote
lol,I assume it you don't own a business or have any accounting experience.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm not sure that's how it works but then again I don't know anything about corporate tax. I don't think people realize though how massive L3 is and how much theyve actually  supported the warfighter with their products. I work in the aerial surveillance field and everything from cameras, generator interface screens, fiber optic network components to payload avionics have L3 trademarks on them. That's not even scratching the surface.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

lol,I assume it you don't own a business or have any accounting experience.
View Quote
Fair enough. Should have said I read. I don't remember where.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm not sure that's how it works but then again I don't know anything about corporate tax. I don't think people realize though how massive L3 is and how much theyve actually  supported the warfighter with their products. I work in the aerial surveillance field and everything from cameras, generator interface screens, fiber optic network components to payload avionics have L3 trademarks on them. That's not even scratching the surface.
View Quote
What's your point?  This thread is about EOTech red dot sights.  L3 is a big company.  They should have taken better care of their retail customers (us) and should not have defrauded their "bread and butter" US Government customers, either.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I hate how hard it is to find real, factual info on the newer gen XPS series.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I hate how hard it is to find real, factual info on the newer gen XPS series.
View Quote
Hey brother, I picked up a 2017 XPS-2 when EOTechs offered rebates for various optics. Picked up a newer G33 magnifier on that deal as well. I've been running the optic extensively over the course of the past six months, even during a tactical rifle match. I haven't lost zero, still using the same battery, and the optic runs fine so far. If I weren't running it on a Wilcox riser I'd have opted for the EXPS with a built-in QD. I still keep and maintain my Aimpoints, but the EOTech has always been the fastest CQB optic IMO. I previously owned an older EXPS back when I put together my first SBR about 5 years ago. In hindsight I wish I had kept it, but replaced it with an Aimpoint CompM4s I got for a steal at the time. But again, I didn't experience any issues with it, but to be fair, I didn't hang on to it long enough to see if it would reach a point of failure.  So far the newer XPS is holding up just fine and I plan to run it very hard during the Spring and Summer months. I hesitate to say it's GTG until I've had a chance to evaluate it under varying conditions over an extended period of time. I'll be coming up on a year of ownership as we approach the end of summer and I'll have an opportunity to run it again as the temperature cools and will assess any deviation from zero. My intent was to run this optic during "normal" training conditions (training/running drills or competing in matches) and do not intend to perform any extensive scientific testing. If it works under the conditions I put it through without failure, then I'll consider it GTG. Side note, during my time in the service, I've seen every type of optic fail/break to some degree, whether it was an Aimpoint, Trijicon, Elcan or EOTech, but I've yet to come across a piece of issued gear that is 100% Soldier/Marine proof. YMMV

Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks man.

I guess I'm dating myself but in my time the M68 was the M2.  I believe at the time no other unit was issuing them at the division level either.  I personally never saw one of those or the M145 (M240/249) break (except for a gun or two that "burned in" on a jump to error/equipment failure) but maybe we were lucky.  I think I saw a broken mount or two on the old M68.

I had one of the early, early eotechs many many years ago.  I like the window and reticle for extreme close range but have never given an XPS/EXPS a run and was hoping to with the newer units being "fixed".
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks man.

I guess I'm dating myself but in my time the M68 was the M2.  I believe at the time no other unit was issuing them at the division level either.  I personally never saw one of those or the M145 (M240/249) break (except for a gun or two that "burned in" on a jump to error/equipment failure) but maybe we were lucky.  I think I saw a broken mount or two on the old M68.

I had one of the early, early eotechs many many years ago.  I like the window and reticle for extreme close range but have never given an XPS/EXPS a run and was hoping to with the newer units being "fixed".
View Quote
Over the years I've seen quite a few turn-in items in various arms rooms from my time in a line unit and when I was at AWG. Dating myself as well, but I've been using electronic optics since 2000, and between deployments and training I've seen my fair share of crazy shit, as I'm sure you have. Keep in mind that these items broke under hard use and getting tossed around quite a bit. Can't count how many times I've seen Soldiers/Marines just toss shit in the back of a wheel or tracked vic, not to mention shit getting pretty bang up during urban ops. I've seen an M145 with a canted reticle from being banged up real good, Trijicon fiber optic lines tend to break open/shatter (still works), battery compartments or brightness adjustment knobs on Aimpoints and EOTechs breaking, some straight-up dead Aimpoints and EOTechs as well... but again, anecdotal and seen in a variety of arms rooms as turn-in items. Nevertheless, for the most part these optics have been good to go.  I only bring this up to illustrate a point that anything can break or fail, but we invest in quality to minimize risk and reduce the likelihood of such an event, and train extensively with backups should Murphy decide to show up to the party and cast his vote. For years I've read how EOTech sucks because of this or that, but the bottom line is I saw those same optics perform exceptionally well in real-world combat applications, even after having taking some significant blows. I guess it really is all situational dependent. For those guys that claim their EOTechs sucks the life out of batteries even during storage, I can't say that I can speak to that because we've always had an abundance of batteries to replace the dead ones, and most arms rooms required you to remove batteries from your equipment when you turned them in for storage anyway.  As a civilian, I can see why some would not want to bother with EOTech given some of the documented issues. But again, I have nothing negative to report about my new XPS, and if it fails, then I'll be contacting EOTech to get things sorted out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What's your point?  This thread is about EOTech red dot sights.  L3 is a big company.  They should have taken better care of their retail customers (us) and should not have defrauded their "bread and butter" US Government customers, either.
View Quote
Lol, did you even read the comment I was replying to? The gentleman was implying that tax right offs helped keep Eotech ahead but I'm stating that it has more to do with L3 (the parent company) being massive. Once again, other companies were hiding thermal drift factors and came out AFTER EO was caught. They gave full refunds to non original owners, whom the majority did NOT even have a faulty unit. What else would you like them to do? Pay off your mortgage also?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I loved my Eotech until the truth got out.  Eotech knowingly sold defective gear to the military and law enforcement.  Lives were potentially endangered.  Sorry but they've lost me.  I got my $500 back from the class action lawyers and am looking for another optic for my AR-15.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Lol, did you even read the comment I was replying to? The gentleman was implying that tax right offs helped keep Eotech ahead but I'm stating that it has more to do with L3 (the parent company) being massive. Once again, other companies were hiding thermal drift factors and came out AFTER EO was caught. They gave full refunds to non original owners, whom the majority did NOT even have a faulty unit. What else would you like them to do? Pay off your mortgage also?
View Quote
Paying off my mortgage would be nice.

They would not refund or replace my 3 units because I missed the cut off date for the law suit.  I had no notice of the suit until after the closing date and they would not offer those options to me.  I do not know why I was never notified of the class action law suit.  I am an original owner having purchased through the normal retail suppliers, including product registration.

Honestly, I don't care about thermal drift as much as I do poor reliability.  One unit ate batteries even when turned off.  Another died sitting unused in a gun safe (power lead broke internally just sitting unused).
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Paying off my mortgage would be nice.

They would not refund or replace my 3 units because I missed the cut off date for the law suit.  I had no notice of the suit until after the closing date and they would not offer those options to me.  I do not know why I was never notified of the class action law suit.  I am an original owner having purchased through the normal retail suppliers, including product registration.

Honestly, I don't care about thermal drift as much as I do poor reliability.  One unit ate batteries even when turned off.  Another died sitting unused in a gun safe (power lead broke internally just sitting unused).
View Quote
I have just found out how crappy eotech CS is today. I tried to have them exchange a brand new 2013 xps 2-0 that I bought from Arms Unlimited (I wanted to get a new “problem free” model) They refused to do anything and now I’m stuck returning the XPS 2-0 to Arms Unlimited and having to deal with a 15% restocking fee.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Still amazed people think this thermal drift thing impacts hem in any way. Don’t matter to the guys carrying them in deserts or cold weather but bill in Ohio can’t have it.
View Quote
So true
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I've never hated them.  Mine work fine.

Although, if you love the reticle and sight picture of the EOTech, you might like the Hartman MH1.  I checked one out at the LGS and it's very appealing to me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So true
View Quote
Maybe that isn't the issue we're trying to avoid?

What I don't want are:

delamination
loss of nitrogen purge

Apparently the battery drain issue is not resolved either and the official stance is that if the batteries are in the optic they will deplete to some extent.  I can work around this too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine were 3 for 3. All dead. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

As far as .mil using them,  I'm not an assaulter with a special unit.   I have no control over when the fight happens.  I don't get to prep for it shortly before hand.  In that role, under those conditions,  I wouldn't have the concerns I do. As a civilian concerned about HD, I have different needs. Never knowing if it would come on or not was an issue for me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have just found out how crappy eotech CS is today. I tried to have them exchange a brand new 2013 xps 2-0 that I bought from Arms Unlimited (I wanted to get a new “problem free” model) They refused to do anything and now I’m stuck returning the XPS 2-0 to Arms Unlimited and having to deal with a 15% restocking fee.
View Quote
Damn, a 5 year old optic still in stock?

PSA got back with me today.  They said if I don't open my EXPS3 I can return it.  Hopefully I can tell from the box on the outside if it has the new logo and/or see the build date.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Mine were 3 for 3. All dead. Left a bad taste in my mouth.
View Quote
But, it has such a pretty reticle.  A person would have tone a fool to buy Eotech.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Damn, a 5 year old optic still in stock?

PSA got back with me today.  They said if I don't open my EXPS3 I can return it.  Hopefully I can tell from the box on the outside if it has the new logo and/or see the build date.E
View Quote
Every new Eotech I had just came with the removable cardboard sleeve over the outside of the plastic storage box with no plastic wrap around the box so how would they be able to tell? Also the new eotechs will have a different logo on the cardboard sleeve. The new one is a big grayish E on a plain black background and the old one is as pictured.  ETA found pic of new cardboard cover. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Proudly made in Ann Arbor MI,, I love my eotechs
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
If it's brand new & doesn't have a problem...they are not going to take it back so YOU can feel better......
Use it till or if it breaks then get it fixed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:10:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thanks man.

View Quote
I saw close to 30 during one reset cycle. More often than not the rheostat knob broke off. The Comp M4 type M68s were a lot tougher.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was considering buying a eotech but have probably changed my mind. A local LE Agency swapped out their old stock eotechs last year for the newer models during the big buyback/swap. During qualifications  4 of 25 on were found defective. I saw video of one defective unit that had the little red plate just rattling around inside( sorry, don't know the verbiage). They have been removed from all patrol rifles and the LEOs had to re-qualify with iron sites. Ironically, the average qualification score went up when officers were shooting iron sites.
View Quote
I saw that too, but it didn't look like they were the newest gen, since they had the old logo.

I've got a new gen that I plan to put through its paces this summer. Going to attend a few carbine courses, and it's on my road-trip gun, so we shall see how this goes.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's really the fault of the class action suit lawyers. L3 was happy to refund anyone (at full retail) with no talk of an expiration date prior to the class action lawsuit happening. Once that was agreed to settle, that was it. Lawyers are always the ones to profit the most on class actions. It should've just been left alone. They'd probably still be processing refunds.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Hopefully the one that arrives for me tomorrow is a new one.

As much volume as PSA does I'm betting they don't have 2 year old ones on the shelf.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#34]
4/10/18.  Good to go.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I just got a new one, Arms Unlimited gave me a refund minus 15%, it’s an eotech XPS2-0 made in June 2017. I should be GTG
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#36]
When mounting it is it normal to have to back out the screw many clicks for it to go on from the top and then once its in place, turn it in the same # of clicks to make the lever really snug?
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Rock it on the rail, lever side first.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 11:43:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah, I just learned that the hard way.  Now to see how it holds up.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I just got a new one, Arms Unlimited gave me a refund minus 15%, it’s an eotech XPS2-0 made in June 2017. I should be GTG
View Quote
Why would you think that?  The design has not changed.  The zero will still drift with temperature and NOT RETURN TO ZERO.

AND, there is the delamination and other reliability issues.

Critical thinking boys and girls.  It is a turd with a pretty reticle that you don't need.

The important word is "turd".
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Why would you think that?  The design has not changed.  The zero will still drift with temperature and NOT RETURN TO ZERO.

AND, there is the delamination and other reliability issues.

Critical thinking boys and girls.  It is a turd with a pretty reticle that you don't need.

The important word is "turd".
View Quote
Looks like I’m gonna find out how big of a turd it is when I take my carbine course next month. This optic will be mounted on my back up rifle, but I will probably take it out for a day or two during the course. If it sucks then I’ll ditch it and return it, and buy only Aimpoint. If it works then I bought a working optic like I planned on! And in case anyone is wondering I do have an Aimpoint on my primary rifle I just wanted to try something new is all.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Looks like I’m gonna find out how big of a turd it is when I take my carbine course next month. This optic will be mounted on my back up rifle, but I will probably take it out for a day or two during the course. If it sucks then I’ll ditch it and return it, and buy only Aimpoint. If it works then I bought a working optic like I planned on! And in case anyone is wondering I do have an Aimpoint on my primary rifle I just wanted to try something new is all.
View Quote
Critical thinking fail.  You think one weekend is the definition of reliable?  Come on.  It has a high probability of failing when you least expect it and could need it most.

I weep for our nation if this is an example of critical thinking.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Critical thinking fail.  You think one weekend is the definition of reliable?  Come on.  It has a high probability of failing when you least expect it and could need it most.

View Quote
I weep for whoever has to deal with you being such a drama queen on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I weep for whoever has to deal with you being such a drama queen on a daily basis.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Love my EXPS 3-0.  That being said it did crap out on me at the range a couple days ago.  Luckily it’s still under warranty.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Why would you think that?  The design has not changed.  The zero will still drift with temperature and NOT RETURN TO ZERO.  AND, there is the delamination and other reliability issues.  
Critical thinking boys and girls.  It is a turd with a pretty reticle that you don't need. The important word is "turd".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Why would you think that?  The design has not changed.  The zero will still drift with temperature and NOT RETURN TO ZERO.  AND, there is the delamination and other reliability issues.  
Critical thinking boys and girls.  It is a turd with a pretty reticle that you don't need. The important word is "turd".
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1
Quoted:
Love my EXPS 3-0.  That being said it did crap out on me at the range a couple days ago.  Luckily it’s still under warranty.
I have to say, this last post instantly vindicates what he was saying and is perfect proof he was correct.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
What broke and is it a new one?
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What broke and is it a new one?
View Quote
Like to hear myself...
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top