Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mil-spec and commercial receiver extensions/buffer tubes share the same thread pattern.  They're interchangeable as far as screwing into the lower, just unique when it comes to stock fitment due to the difference in O.D.
View Quote

Score.

I have the Gen 1 Recon, and a spare Milspec tube with Vltor EMod just waiting for me at home.

I was so sure they were different that I never tried them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Score.

I have the Gen 1 Recon, and a spare Milspec tube with Vltor EMod just waiting for me at home.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mil-spec and commercial receiver extensions/buffer tubes share the same thread pattern.  They're interchangeable as far as screwing into the lower, just unique when it comes to stock fitment due to the difference in O.D.

Score.

You may have issues with the Gen1.  The Gen2 utilizes a standard length AR15 receiver extension. I'm not sure if the receiver extension for the Gen1 LR308 is longer or not.  You can make it work, but it will all depend on the stock tube length, buffer weight/length, and spring combination that is used with the Gen1.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The DPMS gen 1 also uses a standard length buffer tube with shortened buffer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, the threads on a Mil-spec extension are forged onto the tube where the commercial threads are cut out of the tube. If you look at a mil-spec one you can see the threads are taller than the tube.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Looks like the takedown pin is standard AR15, the pivot pin is unique to the G2 http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_627/247573_GII_Cross_Compatibility_Chart.html

Receiver extension is standard AR15, but the buffer and spring are uniques to the G2

I can probably get you the od of the ejection port cover pin, but the length can not be obtained without disassembly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Op and mn hunter have convinced me to start selling some of my armalites.  

Im going to ty an AP4 out but ill lighten the barrel a wee bit, put adj gas block on it and the MI HG.  The combination of the weight and the narrow diameter handguard sells it.  Ill probablyb skeletanize the mag well and bolt carrier too just to take it to the limit.

I am goint to try to take this build to the limit.   Can someone please mic the OD and length of ejecton port cover pin?  I am going to try try and get an aluminum pin.

Also, does this thing use a standard AR15 receiver and buffers?  

Does is the rear take down pin a standard AR15?  What about the front?

Thx

Looks like the takedown pin is standard AR15, the pivot pin is unique to the G2 http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_627/247573_GII_Cross_Compatibility_Chart.html

Receiver extension is standard AR15, but the buffer and spring are uniques to the G2

I can probably get you the od of the ejection port cover pin, but the length can not be obtained without disassembly

I would really appreciate it if someone could mic it.  Honesly, I might just leave it off, that and the F/A. But plase give me a minimum lengh of the pin that I shoudl order so I can shorten it as needed.

I posted in DPMS G2 forum questions about the length of buffers with different reciever extentions.  I suspect that the Vltor long car reciever ext will work with a standard AR15 carbine buffer...  we will see.  

I can save weight by replacing the takedown pin, castlenut, endplate, selector, grip screw, removi g the f/a, replacing port door pin or dumping the assembly alltogher and skeletonizing the carrirer and mag well and taking a we bit off the barrel..  get below 6 easy if i use the ctr butt...

Any other ideas?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#6]
MNHunter, you say  6.5lbs.  Can you give us anohter decimal place??
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
MNHunter, you say  6.5lbs.  Can you give us anohter decimal place??
View Quote

Not without buying another scale.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#8]
bros,
can someone please measure the buffer length.  DPMS is not responding in their forum.  

Just let us know whether the gun has a rifle or car stock as well.  Thx
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
bros,
can someone please measure the buffer length.  DPMS is not responding in their forum.  

View Quote

G2 buffer from stock AP4 with carbine receiver extension measures 2.5
Slash's CAR-10 buffer measures 2.605 for comparison
Ejection port cover pin measures .123 o.d.
Inside span is 3.53, so you'd probably be somewhere around 4+ in length
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
bros,

Thank you sir.  A tenth of an inch, not much but not nothing...
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you shot the rifle yet? Please let us know about the recoil.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have you shot the rifle yet? Please let us know about the recoil.
View Quote

just got my flash hider. Will shoot soon. Will let you know.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Finally got to the range. Love this thing. No reason to replace the trigger. By far the best factory trigger I have shot. And for people wondering, I does kick more then any other .308 I have shot. But not to much that I hate it. Pleased with the accuracy. It was super windy yesterday. Once I sighted it in, I only shot one 5 shot group. No load development has been done but I would assume it will only get better. left to right was 1.19". up to down was .77". Very happy.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Does the new DPMS accept Magpul mags?
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

yes
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes

Thanks!! I am thinking about the MOE version but I want a good Flash Hider instead of muzzle brake. I am however concerned about recoil with a 308 in that light weight.
Have you found the recoil and muzzle rise to be manageable.

Edited to remove the question asking if op was pleased with accuracy. I missed the statement of the obvious
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#17]
yeah, 308 recoil is not worth mentioning.  not like im some sort of crosssfit manimal or anything.  mussle rise recoil?  nobig deal, all it is is hwrder to do twctical followup shots.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
yeah, 308 recoil is not worth mentioning.  not like im some sort of crosssfit manimal or anything.  mussle rise recoil?  nobig deal, all it is is hwrder to do twctical followup shots.
View Quote

I agree. what part of fl you in?
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#19]
astross89... Your rifle is awesome.  I wish I had one just like it.  Nice job.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Yep, the threads on a Mil-spec extension are forged onto the tube where the commercial threads are cut out of the tube. If you look at a mil-spec one you can see the threads are taller than the tube.
View Quote

No sir. The Milspec tube is made from an impact extrusion. The threads are machined after extrusion.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No sir. The Milspec tube is made from an impact extrusion. The threads are machined after extrusion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

what does impact extrusion mean?  i know what extrusion is generally.  how exactly are the threads made on milspec tubes?  all i know is that they are not cut like when you thread a pipe like commercial extrusions are.  on milspec extrusions you can actually see the peaks of the threads are taller than the surface of the tube.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

jax

i must have been drunk on my phone with that post.  what i meant is that 308 is harder to do follow through, to spot your own impacts at range, and it is harder to rapidly concentrate a high volume of fire on target.  now since in manuver gun battles, most rounds are expended as suppressive fire, a system that allows you to carry more ammo and shoot faster from awkward positions is better.  but for certain circumstances, like close up roshambo type exchanges of gunfire that dont involve magazine changes, 308 probably makes more sense, particularly if it is braked.    but the recoil is not harsh unleass maybe you are shooting 175+ ammo from a mountain gin or something., its at the bottom rung of a hipo cartridge.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top