Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2022 4:20:28 PM EDT
Looking to upgrade the charging handle on my AR. Looking for a rundown of what to look at as I've seen it's not something to cheap out on. Pros / Cons of some out there? What should I avoid?
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a geissele or radian
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a geissele or radian
View Quote

Don’t get one with a long handle. It will hang on your kit.

Ambi is a plus also.

FPNI but G is best of the suggestions.

BCM makes good ones also. I have one on my 308 but it isn’t ambi.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Geissele ACH
Radian
FCD ACF
LWRC Ambi

All pretty solid and pricey

BCM is a decent CH, I have a few of those
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#4]
BCM mod 4 thread
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:24:43 AM EDT
[#5]
As funds permit, I'm standardizing all my ARs to Radian Raptor charging handles.

They are a very well made ambidextrous charging handle that has levers that are easy to grasp without sticking out too far to snag on everything.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
BCM mod 4 thread
View Quote

I like the BCM MOD 4 original ones, when they partnered with Vltor. Don't care for the new BCM ones.

So now I'll grab just some Vltor mod 4 CH's.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Tried them all. I use only Geissele ACH in all my rifles.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#8]
You don't need to spend a ton for a good charge handle.  Go with one made of 7075 not 6061 aluminum.  I've used several brands but those made of 6061 wear a lot quicker and are generally more flimsy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Im one cheap sob. I always went the cheapest I could find. On a whim I bought a Radian from MidwayUSA.

Wow, makes the whole charging thing different.  No wobble, Solid Recommend.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the PRI GasBuster charging handle for suppressor use
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Ran a FAL for so long as my only EBR that when I sold it and got an AR I opted for the left side of the receiver non-reciprocating charging handle from NFA/Spartan based on the Gibbz patent (didn't like the machining cuts or extra cost of the Gibbz vs. NFA/JoeBobs/Spartan)
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Timely topic as I’ve been looking to upgrade myself. Thank you for the recommendations.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I appreciate all the suggestions everyone! Huge help for being someone relatively new to building AR's.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I use Strike Industries latchless charging handles on all my AR's, but I'm not a high speed operator soooo.....
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I use Strike Industries latchless charging handles on all my AR's, but I'm not a high speed operator soooo.....
View Quote

I have one and really like it. I plan on ordering another one in the next month. I am short one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I run a BCM Mod 4B, then non ambi version and it is a solid CH that does not stick out so far that it catches on clothes or kit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Radian Raptor.  No question.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I went all the way up to a Radian Raptor and then back to the VLTOR 556 for my home guns AND my work gun. You can usually find them for $30-40.

The Radian does absolutely nothing that’s worth the price. Actually after a few thousand rounds I can’t really say it does anything at all that a regular charging handle doesn’t for a right handed shooter. It’s IG flex and that’s about it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:00:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

FPNI but G is best of the suggestions.

View Quote
I've got both G ACH and R SL, the R is the best of the suggestions and not the G. The G feels like it's going to slip off my hand at any moment while charging it and needs more pull while the R SL has a positive grab and an instant pull. This will matter if the support hand is injured or wounded for ease of use.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#21]
VLTOR.  Good shape for grip and they’re forged like they’re supposed to be.

The rounded point shape of the Geissele is kinda slippery and just  machined from billet like any other cheap handle.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Wait for memorial day, Independence day or black Friday sales and snag a Geissele charging handle. They are really nice and imo worth the price.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Next Level Armament
Radian
strike industries
Geiselle
Breek Arms war hammer is great for $40

So many options...
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Get whatever looks good and doesn’t hang up on stuff or jab you in the chest. You’ll hardly ever use it. Cocked and Locked before you get in to that scenario where quick mag changes may be necessary ( charging hogs, etc ) and even then you’re just pushing that little button in anyway.
I have a cocked and locked truck gun AR that that I haven’t touched the charging handle in a year. Probably longer.
That one has the nsn geissele because it’s as big as I’d go and mostly because the color is spot on..
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#25]
BCM is good for the price.
PRI's gasbuster is okay if you use a suppressor.
Radian is very nice.

LMT's factory ambi is functional.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I like the BCM MOD 4 original ones, when they partnered with Vltor. Don't care for the new BCM ones.
View Quote

Agreed.  I like the old "VLTOR" marked BCMs.  I don't care for the newer model.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Beware of the overly long latches on charging handles as they tend to snag on damned near anything around.  I would rather struggle a little to get ahold of the charging handle, than having one that catches on everything, pokes me in the side, and is generally a nuisance.  I took one of those off and tossed it in the spare parts bin, then replaced it with a GI charging handle until I could find one with a latch that was easier to use, but not so large it caught on everything.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Beware of the overly long latches on charging handles as they tend to snag on damned near anything around.  I would rather struggle a little to get ahold of the charging handle, than having one that catches on everything, pokes me in the side, and is generally a nuisance.  I took one of those off and tossed it in the spare parts bin, then replaced it with a GI charging handle until I could find one with a latch that was easier to use, but not so large it caught on everything.
View Quote

Huh?

I've used Radians in classes before with gear, some involving getting in and then out of vehicles, nothing had ever been caught on them.

Link Posted: 6/2/2022 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agee with the other post above.  Radian Raptor has rounded edges and will not snag.  Others with extended levers were terrible.  Try carrying with a two point sling across your back as a test.  The Raptor is quite comfortable.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Vltor mod 3
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Tried them all and Griffin Armament is my new favorite.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
BCM mod 4 thread
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/3/2022 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is my go to for ar’s that I don’t care to put money into a CH
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Noob question:

Are these charging handles always literally drop-in?  No one is doing any filing or fitting, correct?
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have one and really like it. I plan on ordering another one in the next month. I am short one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, I have about 6 or 7 or them them. That is all I use.  Some are the standard versions, some are the extended latch.   I like both for different purposes.  (Extended on my HD, standard on my SHTF or something that would spend a lot of time slung.   I also had Extended on a long range gun, because it was easier to grab with scope overhang).
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Noob question:

Are these charging handles always literally drop-in?  No one is doing any filing or fitting, correct?
View Quote

Pretty much drop in and play.

@TRoland1911
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#37]
I have several of one's mentioned. I can't afford top shelf but a few I definitely like and own are

BCM 4 med
Radian
VLTOR
Strike Industries
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Picked up one of those for my AR45, but then decided I wanted a side charger, so bought a Devil Dog conversion,
and the latchless is going to the next show I set up at.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have several of one's mentioned. I can't afford top shelf but a few I definitely like and own are

BCM 4 med
Radian
VLTOR
Strike Industries
View Quote

Some of the Strike Industries CH will filet your finger if it slips.  The latch is too sharp.  They have done nothing to fix this.  I had to file all of mine down to make them safe.  I circled the spot that is sharp as fuck:

I Like the Geissele and the Gas busters.  Brownells had a cheap one that I bought that works well, I will try to find it. >>Warhammer, so cheap, I bought three of them.  They are pretty decent for the price.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Some of the Strike Industries CH will filet your finger if it slips.  The latch is too sharp.  They have done nothing to fix this.  I had to file all of mine down to make them safe.  I circled the spot that is sharp as fuck:

https://i.imgur.com/Ys49zjA.jpg

I Like the Geissele and the Gas busters.  Brownells had a cheap one that I bought that works well, I will try to find it. >>Warhammer, so cheap, I bought three of them.  They are pretty decent for the price.
View Quote

Folks in this thread are referring to the latchless design.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#41]
@wildearp Thanks for sharing that and mine has that sharp edge. Going to have to get the dremel on that!  That's on the top and bottom edge as well. Thx for sharing and they need to QC that a little better, for sure
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#42]
If concerned with strength, there is always the Power Custom steel charge handle.

=Power Custom steel charge handle
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If concerned with strength, there is always the Power Custom steel charge handle.

=Power Custom steel charge handle
View Quote

I'd like to see pictures of high end, broken CH's
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Radian
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Just bought my first Radian SD-SL. Will be switching all of my rifles to this, over time.

Kicking myself for not buying one sooner.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm not a fan of aftermarket charging handles if having to run a sling, but for competition use they're cool.  I feel aftermarket charging handles can lead to ripped fingers and depending on how you sling/hang, can lead to hangups.  Some of those aftermarket handles look like Ham antennas.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm not a fan of aftermarket charging handles if having to run a sling, but for competition use they're cool.  I feel aftermarket charging handles can lead to ripped fingers and depending on how you sling/hang, can lead to hangups.  Some of those aftermarket handles look like Ham antennas.  
View Quote
I've ran the Radian Raptor full size and SL with slings, zero issues. They're for function and not for form. As a southpaw shooter the ripped finger nails were from the standard forward assists. Once those were identified as the real culprit and snag free designs, plugging the assist holes, or buying uppers without a FA were implemented, the problem went the way of the dinosaur. Zero hang-ups. They make slimmer ones like the Radian Raptor SL if the form of the larger ones bother you that much. The poster above you just said that he should have done this a very long time ago.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/Ys49zjA.jpg

View Quote

Quoted:
@wildearp Thanks for sharing that and mine has that sharp edge. Going to have to get the dremel on that!  That's on the top and bottom edge as well. Thx for sharing and they need to QC that a little better, for sure
https://i.postimg.cc/VsSQv8cr/SIchandle.jpg
View Quote

I have a few SI latches that I used to replace latches on USGI handles.  They work great and really improve the ease of use compared to the standard USGI.  Definitely need to file those edges down, though.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Be very suspicious of charging handles with large, extended latching mechanisms because they tend to get caught on damned near everything, especially when you don't want them to.  I got rid of the early model charging handles with the extended latches because of their tendency to hook onto and catch on damned near anything.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So now I'll grab just some Vltor mod 4 CH's.
View Quote

I’m a big fan of the Vltor too. Still the most durable aluminum charging handle made, and has great ergonomics.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top