Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I just ordered more.  Looks like they have just over 2,000 left.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I really like the way they are packaged. They are well-oiled in plastic sleeves. I just place them in 5-mag batches in gallon ziploc bags. I double bag and then put them up. They look like they will keep for decades that way.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Haha I guarantee it. I'm up to 45 now lol  Really trying hard not to order more, but I just feel like I'm going to be one of the ones crying if I don't get more while I can. I've heard to many "I should have bought more when they were a dime a dozen and available" stories, especially with different AK mags.
View Quote
Yeah I'm debating about ordering more myself.  Pretty sure I have enough mags at this point, but mags are like guns....I always need "just one more."
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#4]
They're still running the free shipping on $100 order they started at Christmastime, so 11 mags qualify.  As others have said they are well oiled and packed in a sealed plastic sleeve.  Took one to the range, it ran fine.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:46:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Y'all seriously costing me money

I'm in for 20.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#7]
This last week, while loading some of these for a range trip, I found two that will not take a full 30 rounds.  Both will take 28 ok, one will take 29, but it requires excessive force.

I'm still trying to figure out if it's the followers, or if it's because the finish inside the bodies is really rough, and it's just binding up bad.  Hoping to have some time today to mess with the worse of the two.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#8]
ISD Bulgaria doesn't make magazines, its a gun store/broker.  A lot of the mags/bodies out of asia were steel because they were intended for the Singapore 80 AR-variant around this time.  I bought 20 of the mags here in question and they look good.  I have no need to use them but throwing them in my stash with the boxes and boxes of 30 and 40rd of "Made in Bulgaria sticker" AK ones.  I think it would be interesting to know exactly where the sticker mags are made.  The mags in questions didn't sell well over the last decade for decent reasons, PMags are one, and if you wanted a steel mag the ASC and E-Landers could be had for the same price ($10).  Most of Bulgarian sticker AK mags were $6.99 so know one was associating them with high end mags.  Distributor is probably pretty happy with this thread, they probably thought they would have to sit on them until the next election scare.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:57:24 AM EDT
[#9]
“Distributor is probably pretty happy with this thread, they probably thought they would have to sit on them until the next election scare.”

Indeed!  That scare is prob’ly only about 8 months out now.

FWIW mine have run & load fine, use a Maglula though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:59:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Got my 20 in today, they are indeed thicc

I'm impressed with the construction, may order a few more before they run out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They're still running the free shipping on $100 order they started at Christmastime, so 11 mags qualify.  As others have said they are well oiled and packed in a sealed plastic sleeve.  Took one to the range, it ran fine.
View Quote
I just tried to order 12 mags and they wanted $13.XX for fedex (aweful, IME) or $16.XX for ups.  Was there a code for free shipping?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:58:47 PM EDT
[#12]
It looks like Clearview's free shipping offer ended (I think it was related to the holidays anyway). It used to just show up as a shipping option in the drop down menu after you entered your zip code - it would show the options of Fedex, USPS, or Free Shipping if you cart total was over $100. For what it's worth, when I paid for shipping on my last order, it was really fast. I think I placed the order on a Monday night, they shipped it Tuesday morning, and it arrived Thursday afternoon. I'd prefer free shipping, but their Fedex price for a dozen steel mags is totally reasonable. I think we've all gotten used to discounted (or free) shipping prices.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Ordered yesterday, shipped this morning Fed-Ex. Came out to 10.28 each with shipping for 30.

Should be interesting. Never tried any steel mags.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:43:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ordered yesterday, shipped this morning Fed-Ex. Came out to 10.28 each with shipping for 30.

Should be interesting. Never tried any steel mags.
View Quote
Have you been able to run the Bulgarians yet? If so, what do you think?

Mine have continued to run flawlessly. Still loving these mags.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 2:48:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I ordered mine last Tuesday, it shipped on Thursday, and it arrived on Monday. I decided to get a surplus East Germany AK Mag Pouch as well as a surplus AK sling. The website has some really unique gear aside from the Bulgarian AR mags.

I ran two mags today through my "best" rifle and my "cheapest" rifle; both mags ran great.

I will be cerakoting two of the Bulgarians as well as some pmags to match my grey rifle.

Here are some pics for reference:

Link Posted: 2/29/2020 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#16]
They're nice mags for sure. I'm surprised they're not sold out yet.

Which reminds me, I will pick up another half dozen or so before they are gone.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Great pictures MOG!  The AK sling looks Bulgarian too
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Great pictures MOG!  The AK sling looks Bulgarian too
View Quote
Thanks!

I love threads like this (thanks Crogers23 for starting up this thread and informing us of these cool mags) and I always love contributing to them when I can.

I LOVE the sling and the AK mag pouch; I feel like buying another one to keep this one MIB (mint in box). They really are not pricey and are just too cool!

Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I have 2 Bushmasters XM15 M4A2 and M4A3 rifles.
Anyone try these mags in either of these 2 rifles?
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 1:02:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I have 30 of these already an was looking to stock up on more mags. Would you buy these over okay sure feed mags?
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 1:28:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have 30 of these already an was looking to stock up on more mags. Would you buy these over okay sure feed mags?
View Quote
Have you ran the Bulgarian mags already? Mine ran excellent!
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm torn about this question. I like these mags, and they seem to be reliable from everything that has been reported here (I haven't shot mine enough to confirm for myself). My misgiving is that, as previously mentioned, these use proprietary internal parts that won't be easily replaceable. Acknowledging that mags are disposable, it's still nice to be able to get replacement springs when the originals eventually start to wear out. I'd personally recommend buying Okay mags if you have to choose one or the other for budget reasons, but if you can afford them, I don't think there's anything wrong with stocking up on some of these.

Having said that, I decided to experiment with one tonight. I was able to install a Magpul follower and load the mag with 30 rounds, although the rounds started to nose down towards the end as the mag filled up. I believe it's because the GI spring can't lock into the locking plate at the bottom of the mag, since the factory spring loops are longer (front to back). That causes the spring to stack unevenly, I think, which causes the rounds to tip forward as the mag fills up (the 30th round was a very tight fit too). The brass casing of the top round noses down enough that it isn't touching the front half of the feed lip. It would probably feed with the force of the bolt pushing it forward, but I think there would be a risk of it nosing into the area below the feedramp (especially with rifle ramps) and potentially jamming. Regardless, I was pleasantly surprised that the Magpul follower fit and functioned smoothly:

Attachment Attached File

Here's how the GI spring compares to the bottom locking plate. I tested a newer tan follower GI spring, which has longer loops, front to back, but they still weren't long enough to fit around the locking plate tabs. In a pinch, you could cut off the raised spine with the locking tabs, leaving just the flat locking plate to secure the bottom baseplate in place, but it probably won't be quite as secure.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm torn about this question. I like these mags, and they seem to be reliable from everything that has been reported here (I haven't shot mine enough to confirm for myself). My misgiving is that, as previously mentioned, these use proprietary internal parts that won't be easily replaceable. Acknowledging that mags are disposable, it's still nice to be able to get replacement springs when the originals eventually start to wear out. I'd personally recommend buying Okay mags if you have to choose one or the other for budget reasons, but if you can afford them, I don't think there's anything wrong with stocking up on some of these.

Having said that, I decided to experiment with one tonight. I was able to install a Magpul follower and load the mag with 30 rounds, although the rounds started to nose down towards the end as the mag filled up. I believe it's because the GI spring can't lock into the locking plate at the bottom of the mag, since the factory spring loops are longer (front to back). That causes the spring to stack unevenly, I think, which causes the rounds to tip forward as the mag fills up (the 30th round was a very tight fit too). The brass casing of the top round noses down enough that it isn't touching the front half of the feed lip. It would probably feed with the force of the bolt pushing it forward, but I think there would be a risk of it nosing into the area below the feedramp (especially with rifle ramps) and potentially jamming. Regardless, I was pleasantly surprised that the Magpul follower fit and functioned smoothly:

Here's how the GI spring compares to the bottom locking plate. I tested a newer tan follower GI spring, which has longer loops, front to back, but they still weren't long enough to fit around the locking plate tabs. In a pinch, you could cut off the raised spine with the locking tabs, leaving just the flat locking plate to secure the bottom baseplate in place, but it probably won't be quite as secure.
View Quote
Great work Scout!

Will you be shooting both a stock mag and this one with the modifications you applied to it? It would be interesting to observe the differences in performance and feel.

Link Posted: 3/7/2020 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#24]
300 rounds through one mag so far. No problems.

Got 3 other guys trying them that shoot more than I do, they also report no problems.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/Bulgarian_Steel_with_Magpul_Follower_JPG-1301099.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/Bulgarian_Steel_with_GI_Spring_JPG-1301107.JPG
View Quote
I’m torn between the two also, but you’re points are dead on. I just stock up on both, and if need be, will treat the Bulgarians as disposable. Can’t imagine that I’ll wear more than 1 or 2 out in my life time though, and I have around 50 now lol

That’s some awesome work you’ve done. I need to get some time and play around with one too. I wonder if a Bulgarian spring could be cut and modified to work with the Magpul follower, eliminating the problem?
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
300 rounds through one mag so far. No problems.

Got 3 other guys trying them that shoot more than I do, they also report no problems.
View Quote
Good to here man! I gave a few out as Christmas gifts and everyone has reported that they’ve ran flawlessly so far.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#27]
It’s not a whole lot, but I just got finished running 60 rounds through 2 Bulgarians in a new 10.3” build. First rounds through the rifle. Not a single issue.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#28]
How do these compare to Beretta ARX100 steel mags?

I get the impression that the Bulgarians are generally reliable and nicely finished but sometimes need to be downloaded to work properly.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How do these compare to Beretta ARX100 steel mags?

I get the impression that the Bulgarians are generally reliable and nicely finished but sometimes need to be downloaded to work properly.
View Quote
I haven’t had to down load any of mine in my 5 AR’s. Some have been slightly tighter than others, but it only causes it to be tougher to insert. Doesn’t interfere with the function. If you were to file probably just 1mm off the bottom of the follower, it’d solve the issue. I’ve been wanting to try this. Super easy mod that would take no time at all. Would probably be even easier to use sand paper. I may try this now.... stand by
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I haven’t had to down load any of mine in my 5 AR’s. Some have been slightly tighter than others, but it only causes it to be tougher to insert. Doesn’t interfere with the function. If you were to file probably just 1mm off the bottom of the follower, it’d solve the issue. I’ve been wanting to try this. Super easy mod that would take no time at all. Would probably be even easier to use sand paper. I may try this now.... stand by
View Quote
Did 'cha do it or not?

Link Posted: 3/11/2020 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Great work Scout!

Will you be shooting both a stock mag and this one with the modifications you applied to it? It would be interesting to observe the differences in performance and feel.
View Quote
Because of the way the top round noses down in the magazine when the Magpul follower is installed, I'd really rather not shoot it and put any unnecessary wear on my rifle or the magazine. When I have a chance, I'll do the conversion again and take a photo of how the rounds look when loaded in the mag.

Quoted:
That’s some awesome work you’ve done. I need to get some time and play around with one too. I wonder if a Bulgarian spring could be cut and modified to work with the Magpul follower, eliminating the problem?
View Quote
The Magpul follower has guides on the underside that the GI spring loops fit around, so the longer and narrower loops on the Bulgarian spring won't work with it. I think the easiest thing to do would be to modify the Bulgarian locking plate like I mentioned in my previous post so that it wouldn't interfere with the GI spring. I'll grab a photo or two of that also, when I have a chance, to show you what I mean.

@Crogers23 - On a related topic, looking back a few pages at how you refinished some of these magazines, it would be great if the mods could unlock your dedicate mag refurbishment discussion:

Refurbishing Old USGI Mags (Dry Moly Finish)

I'd like to ask a follow-up question or two that would be more appropriate there, and post some photos as I make progress with my own refurbed mags (I'm thinking about trying the OD green dry moly finish from Brownells). I'm not sure if there's a process for asking a mod to pull it back out of the Archives.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry it’s taken me so long to get back with you all. I finally got a chance to mod a follower and test it out. The process is simple enough. I used a file and some sand paper to clean it up afterwards. See below. I took roughly 1/8 of an inch off, using a set of calipers to mark my line evenly across. Since it’s tilted, you’ll want to make sure you aren’t removing the tilt.

I’ve done it with two mags so far. They are just as easy inserting with 30rds loaded as a Lance or standard GI mag now. Once I get a couple of hours, I plan to do the rest, or at least most, of my other mags.

Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#33]
@3ACR_Scout PM me your questions. Or just post on here.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#34]
@Crogers23 - Thanks, I was considering sharing photos of the mags that I'm trying to strip the paint off of with Aircraft stripper. I posted photos of them here in your old thread. They're kind of a mess - lots of silver paint on them that will take several applications to clean off, I think. It looks like they only have dry lube finish on about the bottom third. The top half of the two mags is that nice gold / brass color underneath that old GI mags got when the finish wore off. My main question is whether the dry moly spray is completely opaque after several coats. I want to make sure I don't end up with a multicolored finish because of the different colors underneath. I'm also thinking about using the OD green dry moly and want to make sure I'll get a nice even color when applying it over these well worn mag bodies. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
@Crogers23 - Thanks, I was considering sharing photos of the mags that I'm trying to strip the paint off of with Aircraft stripper. I posted photos of them here in your old thread. They're kind of a mess - lots of silver paint on them that will take several applications to clean off, I think. It looks like they only have dry lube finish on about the bottom third. The top half of the two mags is that nice gold / brass color underneath that old GI mags got when the finish wore off. My main question is whether the dry moly spray is completely opaque after several coats. I want to make sure I don't end up with a multicolored finish because of the different colors underneath. I'm also thinking about using the OD green dry moly and want to make sure I'll get a nice even color when applying it over these well worn mag bodies. Thanks!
View Quote
That silver looks like dry lube. I’d say it’s either a rough original application or someone tried to refinish them at one point. You have to use light coats or it can pool up like it has on the feedlips. Dry lube isn’t the easiest to remove. Try some acetone. That being said, 3 or more light coats of dry lube will completely cover any other finish/color. I’d just worry about knocking down any uneven spots before applying it.

The bake step is important. Don’t skip or shorten the bake time. I also wore gloves and wiped each Mag down with acetone right before refinishing to remove any oils.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#36]
It's definitely silver paint. No offense meant to my friend who gave me these mags, but I doubt he's heard of dry moly, and it's clear that he or someone just painted these to make them look nicer (or maybe protect them) after the finish had worn off them. Here's one after the first round of Aircraft paint stripper. The silver on the top 2/3 of the mag is still paint that dried before I could wipe it off. The Aircraft stuff loosened it, but it was still very thick and sticky. It's interesting - it created a rough chalky residue when it reacted with the bottom 1/3 of the mag that still has dry lube on it. Kind of a mess that will probably need acetone or steel wool to smooth out before I can coat it with dry moly. Anyway, sorry for the off-topic discussion - this is what I would have liked to share in your other thread if there was a way to open it back up again.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Bummer, at some point in the last ten days, Clearview raised the price of the mags to $10.99 each (they sent out a flyer on March 6 that still had them on sale for $9.34). Hopefully they'll run periodic sales on them again in the future. I wouldn't mind picking up a few more, but I'm not in a big rush.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I wonder how many they have in stock.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#39]
I just picked up 5, 30 round steel and 2, 35 round polymer Bulgarians from Gun Parts for $81 shipped.

Not a super deal, but not horrible considering the current climate.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1235900B
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I just picked up 5, 30 round steel and 2, 35 round polymer Bulgarians from Gun Parts for $81 shipped.

View Quote
Ooohhh!

They are available from another source!

Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#42]
That's great! Numrich offers free shipping over $75, so that offsets the Clearview shipping, which can be a little high.

I wonder in Numrich bought a batch from Clearview. Seems unlikely that another source just popped up again, unless the manufacturer in Bulgaria is still making them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Clearview appears to have less than 1,600 left, so that might be why we are seeing the price increase.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I like the steel mags but wasn't too pleased with the plastic ones. I found them to be fairly brittle and to crack pretty easily.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the steel mags but wasn't too pleased with the plastic ones. I found them to be fairly brittle and to crack pretty easily.
When I was checking out it said "add $10 and get free shipping" so I basically got the second poly mag free. I expect they'll be OK range or resale mags.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Just FYI, the Numrich website has the following notice posted at the top:

Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and measures imposed by our state government, effective immediately our operations are temporarily suspended.

USA customers - YOU CAN CONTINUE PLACING ORDERS ON OUR WEBSITE, but we won't process them until we resume regular business hours.

We appreciate your understanding.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ooohhh!

View Quote

They’ve had them, but had them listed for $20 a piece until recently.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ooohhh!

Ah, gotcha!

I will be going out to the desert tomorrow to zero my 458 SOCOM rifle as well as try out some new muzzle breaks I have installed in two of my other rifles; I will be sure to fire another 30 rounds of brass and another 30 rounds of steel through one of the Bulgarians and give a report! I also have a 60 round Magpul drum mag that has been loaded since November that needs some testing!

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Clearview appears to have less than 1,600 left, so that might be why we are seeing the price increase.
View Quote
1533 to be exact as of this post
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#49]
I got my cerakoted mags today!

I had a GI mag, two PMAGs, and two Bulgarian AR mags cerkoted in grey to match my rifle. The left most mag in the first picture is a stock grey Okay GI mag (I left that with the guy that cerkaoted the mags as a reference) while the mag to the right is a Bushmaster GI mag. Of course, the middle two mags are the PMAGs and the right most two are the Bulgarian mags; I love the way the Bulgarian mags look in black and in grey!

Link Posted: 3/24/2020 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
1533 to be exact as of this post
View Quote

Where are you guys seeing the live inventory? I'm on the page in another tab and I don't see inventory.
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top