Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#1]
postimage.org works out pretty good for doing pictures on here
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks sick wish it had the original muzzle brake.

Link Posted: 1/24/2018 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 3:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Different than the one shown (below) on Brownells' website?

Link Posted: 1/24/2018 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#5]
see if I can do this frm my phone...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty slick. And more accurate to the original than my Armalite AR-10b retro copy from 2004 or so.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just got the photos from the reveal event from my editor, and am happy to share them with y'all.  If I thought I was excited to try these puppies out before, I'm even more eager now!

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a556/putnamev/BRN-10%201_zpsc2misjcj.jpeg
View Quote

Your links are fine, you just need to put [ img ] at the beginning and [ /img ] at the end, or click the insert photo button and past them there.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#8]
So who is gonna be the first to get a proper grip molded up?    I can’t wait to get my hands on one
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like a JT prototype Handguard is needed along with a low profile gas block to go where the FSB goes and then a Handguard retainer In front of that with a brace man prototype FSB to cap it all off and you would have a really accurate copy once someone molds up some ar10 grips . Or a prototype FSB and a bayonet adaptor pinned in front of it to hide the old notch of the FSB taper pin.

JT , can you weld up the previous taper pin notches ? That would make this easy .
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sorta, Armalite did a retroish kinda thing with brown furniture and the charging handle in the carry handle, but it was mostly an A2 style rifle playing dress up.

Might hafta sell off one of my Armalite 10Bs, I like the looks of the Brownell's a little better.
View Quote
Thanks for the point on point comparison!
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just got the photos from the reveal event from my editor, and am happy to share them with y'all.  If I thought I was excited to try these puppies out before, I'm even more eager now!

View Quote
Dat green doe.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#14]
No....Photobucket is FUBAR on my iphone or samsung tablet

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That is absolutely awesome! I do really hope they make the narrow AR10 style front sight base and ditch the AR15/M16 style that is shown in their pictures. That would make it a slam dunk.
View Quote
I predict that this will be quickly rectified before these come to market- understand that Brownell's did nothing here... or on the other retro rifles.

It's an NDS upper and lower with a BA (5.56) or a Faxon (7.62) barrel.

If someone says, "Hey, want to buy my correct FSB?" the answer will be YES.

Same with color correcting the furniture- either their current vendor will improve their offering, or someone else will.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#16]
WHAT!! They didn't have those out yesterday morning!!!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Set my card on fire, but I pre-ordered the black one.

I've said too many times on this site that I'd love a new clone retro '10, well, it was time to put up or shut up

My dreams are becoming real! LOL
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Ordered up the Brown HB Dutch version, Now I just have to hope Springs gets here early. :)
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I just ordered a black one - one pound lighter, $100 cheaper, and I am going to replace all of the furniture anyway, so I do not care that it is black. Today only, they have $30 off plus free shipping
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 11:49:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

JT, can you weld up the previous taper pin notches?
View Quote
I sure can.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:27:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No....Photobucket is FUBAR on my iphone or samsung tablet

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/Screenshot_20180124-171300-430288.JPG
View Quote
Ahh, well they have a fix for it on PC's.

For Chrome

For Firefox
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I sure can.
View Quote
When better retros are built, JT will build them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm curious if this is a legitimate reproduction or just a modern design made to look like an AR-10 to some extent or another. I'm very interested in the former, especially if they go the Portuguese route (which is one of the most refined AI variants), and even moreso the scope-compatible version, but I have no strong interest in the latter, especially at the price point someone suggested above. I'd hold out for an original on a rewelded AI lower in that case, or a parts kit (in the off-chance that I came across one for sale) and try to get a cut receiver rewelded or have a new one made.

A poor facsimile based on a modern design holds no interest for me whatsoever.
View Quote
Its not a legitimate reproduction.  It is not a Dutch pattern AR-10.  It is a SR-25 pattern and not interchangeable with any Dutch or Hollywood parts.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Its not a legitimate reproduction.  It is not a Dutch pattern AR-10.  It is a SR-25 pattern and not interchangeable with any Dutch or Hollywood parts.
View Quote
I think it IS a legitimate reproduction (made to RESEMBLE an original).  However, it is NOT a legitimate clone (all or most of the parts duplicated from originals).  It is WAY better than the Armalite reproduction from the 80's, and it is probably the best the average person will able to get/afford.  The BIG advantage of using standardized modern internal parts will be the availability of spares.  I almost purchased an original FA AR10, but ended up passing on the deal because I decided I would not shoot it for fear of something breaking and not being able to replace it. As far as the external appearance, many of us will work to make it look even MORE original. I know that I will spend as much on upgrades as I will on the base rifle - original handguards, original stock, original or exact copy grips, original style engraved markings, original style front sight base, and original style muzzle break.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#27]
original stock will not fit because the original buffer diameter is way bigger.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
original stock will not fit because the original buffer diameter is way bigger.
View Quote
How about an Original Colt type A or B stock stripped of it's green paint to reveal the brown bakelite?  If so, looks wise, which style do you reccomend?  I have an extra of each type, but both still retain over 95% of their original 601 green paint, and I would hate to strip off the green.  Maybe I should trade one for a stock that has already been stripped.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Go Brownells...

The Retro's aren't perfect, but they show VERY good effort.  And hey...it's better than what the competition has.  Oh wait...they have nothing!!!

It's a good day for Retro nerds!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m torn on which one I want , heavy vs light , I hope they sell uppers only in the future so I can have a heavy and a light one
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I think it's great

yeah, it's not exactly Dutch, but pretty close

...and guys on this forum will modify them to look even better

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Hmm as soon as my annual bonus arrives in March I will be ordering one of these! They look awesome
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I’m torn on which one I want , heavy vs light , I hope they sell uppers only in the future so I can have a heavy and a light one
View Quote
I like the open flash hider, so I went with the heavy.  I'll patiently wait for the genius on this form and/or John Thomas to figure out how to fix the FSB and grip.  Otherwise, I look forward to sending some 7.62 down range with my FAL, M14, BM59 and PRT91.  It will be a great Cold War battle rifle shoot off.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think it's great

yeah, it's not exactly Dutch, but pretty close

...and guys on this forum will modify them to look even better

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/IMG_7891-431061.JPG
View Quote
But is it Freaky Deaky Dutch?
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I’ll probably buy one as a base for trying to make it more accurate to the original.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I would like to know more.
I am optimistic.
<a href="https://postimages.org/"></a>https://s5.postimg.org/k5v4zwxs7/The_Armalite_Book001.jpg
View Quote
I am honored to see my humble work in such esteemed company!  You, sir, have one exceptional rifle.  Is that a Guatemalan or Sudanese?
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the assist, partner!  I will be switching my stuff to Imgur soon, as I was disappointed when checking the thread to see what Photobucket had done to my links.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thanks for the assist, partner!  I will be switching my stuff to Imgur soon, as I was disappointed when checking the thread to see what Photobucket had done to my links.
View Quote
 happy to help

Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:51:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Which one of you lunatics dedicated Retro-heads is gonna be the first one to whack yours up and make a 7.62mm XM177-ish carbine out of it?

I might build a carbine myself, if they start selling the upper and lower receivers and bolt carrier groups separately........
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:53:55 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm in for a pair of receivers and carriers .

With some work , help from JT and JB, one could make
Some really close Portuguese and Sudanese clones .

At half the cost
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 1:36:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How about an Original Colt type A or B stock stripped of it's green paint to reveal the brown bakelite?  If so, looks wise, which style do you reccomend?  I have an extra of each type, but both still retain over 95% of their original 601 green paint, and I would hate to strip off the green.  Maybe I should trade one for a stock that has already been stripped.
View Quote
Don't butcher an original 601 stock
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 2:29:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

As far as the external appearance, many of us will work to make it look even MORE original. I know that I will spend as much on upgrades as I will on the base rifle - original handguards, original stock, original or exact copy grips, original style engraved markings, original style front sight base, and original style muzzle break.
View Quote
Hopefully some industry person at SHOT will have offered to fix the glaring deficiencies so that we don't have to "spend as much on upgrades as ... the base rifle" trying to make it right.

I'm sure they can do better on the FSB fairly easily. Furniture too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 8:15:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I am honored to see my humble work in such esteemed company!  You, sir, have one exceptional rifle.  Is that a Guatemalan or Sudanese?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would like to know more.
I am optimistic.
<a href="https://postimages.org/"></a>https://s5.postimg.org/k5v4zwxs7/The_Armalite_Book001.jpg
Guatemalan
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#45]
“Should we redesign the front sight base to match the rest of the rifle?”

“Nah, that won’t matter”  
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
People, it is a "Prototype". There may be changes.

I already gave Paul a print I made of an original 5.56 proto FSB to use as a starting point.

Whether or not the brass lets him run with it I don't know.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Hopefully the charging handle, furniture, and muzzle devices are also "starting points". I'd at least consider something that looked close enough to a legit Portuguese type that all I needed to do was change the handguard (I can understand why people would hesitate to try to produce those), although it'd be nice to see a rifle based on the actual AI AR-10 pattern, which is what I really want. I most likely will have to settle for an original pending sufficient funds, though.

Some accessories like the grenade sights and bayonets would be sweet as well, plus a version based on the carbine variant.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Dang these are cool!! I want one but don't want to stock another caliber lol, and who's going to be selling some cool stuff to finance one of these?!! I want an NDS 601 or partial fence lower and a C7 upper stripped or complete!
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Which one of you lunatics dedicated Retro-heads is gonna be the first one to whack yours up and make a 7.62mm XM177-ish carbine out of it?

I might build a carbine myself, if they start selling the upper and lower receivers and bolt carrier groups separately........
View Quote
This is what I was thinking.
I have a spare Portuguese muzzle device...and one of the raw (repro) FSB castings for a proto AR15...wonder if that would fit the lightweight version...
I'll have to consider how it would look cut to 16" with a 607-style stock.  Just for range fun!
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:25:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This is what I was thinking. https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif
I have a spare Portuguese muzzle device...and one of the raw (repro) FSB castings for a proto AR15...wonder if that would fit the lightweight version...
I'll have to consider how it would look cut to 16" with a 607-style stock.  Just for range fun!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I was thinking. https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif
Someone here did a build like that, but as an AR-15 using the Nodak upper with the trigger-style charging handle and slabside lower. He also made some custom handguards that looked like a shortened version of the Portuguese ones (as opposed to just using the plastic part of the Port. handguards).  Used the 1st Gen. collapsible stock.  Looked pretty sweet.

ETA: postino was the guy who did it:

The AI AR-10 carbines themselves looked pretty cool.  The carbine muzzle device is shorter than the Portuguese one or the similar version with the bayonet lug on the bottom.  The reduced-diametre areas between the flash suppressor and the first grenade ring, between the first and second grenade rings, and between the second grenade ring and the full-diametre area to which the bayonet lug is attached are all a tad shorter, and the tapered area at the front end of the ring where the bayonet lug is located is virtually eliminate.  The muzzle ring on the bayonets had to be set back accordingly.

Page / 7
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top