Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 7:49:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I posted some questions about 5.45 uppers and a guy said the bolt on his rusted shut in a matter of hours after shooting corosive surplus ammo! Anyone else heard of this or had this experence? I shoot tons of it in my AKs and as long as I clean em in 2-3 days im good, not a spec of rust on any of them! He said it was so bad that he broke the charging handle tryn to get it unstuck. Does the corosive residue have any effect aluminum?

I bought incindiary ammo off of a guy of G.B., and he stated that he has shot 10,000 rds of the corrosive crap an waited to clean his gun. He claimed that there was no rust on the gun until after he cleaned it  said his springs started rust  after the cleaning
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Last Saturday I put about 150 rounds of Russian through my 5.45.  I do not run dirty equipment but on occasion may not clean till the next day.......The rifle is a Cav arms lower, A1 upper with M16 bolt and carrier and the barrel is an AK74 with chrome bore and chamber modified with an M4 barrel extension..........It had been snowing before I shot but was not while I shot........the rifle did not get wet.
When I pulled the rifle down Sunday for cleaning the muzzle brake, bore, and chamber were fine........just powder residue.  Lower receiver parts were fine as was the exterior of the carrier.  Corrosion was forming behind the rings and on the bolt tail and in the very rear portion of the bolt bore in the carrier.  I have seen similar residue on the flash suppressors on my AK74 rifles in wet weather and on a couple occasions have found it on their gas pistons............It can form quickly and folks using corrosive should be aware of the chance..........
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Bullshit. My AKS74U, which I shoot exclusively corrosive ammo through, has rusted ONE TIME in the ~8000 rounds I have through it and it was only minor surface rust. This took about 4-7 days of not cleaning after a range trip in which I probably shot 100-250 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 3:50:49 AM EDT
[#4]
It must be wonderful to be so wise and aware and experienced as you obviously are, do you actually own a firearm?  Do you own anything built around the AR platform?  It was a long time ago child, but it was not uncommon to pick up discarded weapons in Viet Nam and find lots of corrosion caused by the nature of the ammunition both on Ak's and the SKS weapons.............you are just not much aware of what can take place..........Bull shit??  I suppose you are just bored and think a response like yours actually means something.  Folks need to be aware that things can happen whether with a few hundred rounds or one round or a thousand when corrosive ammunition is used. They need to be aware it starts with round 1 and not just when you finally take the time to find it.   My post was not even about surface rust but internal corrosive action.  The corrosive contamination is present after the first shot and will do what it does.  Responses like yours do nothing to help anyone be aware of what will take place within the AR platform at times and also within the AK piston system....................  llc
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 4:38:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I read "Hatcher's Notebook" back in the late '70's. He discussed corrosive ammo and the corrosive salts deposited by the primer. According to military tests he cited, below a certain atmospheric relative humidity, I believe 25%, corrosion will not occur. At higher humiditiies sufficient corrosion would occur to ruin the accuracy of a rifle barrel "over night". I don't think that would be nearly enough to prevent opening the bolt. So irreversible damage could occur in a day with the right combinatin of corrsive salts and high humidity, but I doubt it would get bad enough in that time to prevent opening the bolt.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 6:26:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Did that clean up?            Is there any heat resistant material that might be used to treat parts like bolts and carriers to slow down the action of the salts?
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a jug of that also.........Just used in on a Ruger Mkll pistol a man had left in his hunting pack for about 8 months.  Surprisingly the bore was like new (perhaps protected by lead) only one trigger spring had to be replace.  The evaporust removed 100% of the bluing that was left and 100% of the external rust.  It is pitted a little but after a good glass bead and a rust blue it will again be a serviceable weapon.........evaporust is a remarkable product.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I've shot mine quite a bit, in dry or rain, either way it's never rusted except for the YHM QD mount. I always clean it afterwards, but sometimes it'll got a day or so before I do. I just clean it with boiling water down the barrel and a couple of passes with a bore brush, finish up with a light coat of CLP down the barrel. I wipe everything else down and pour boiling water over it all, very light coat of CLP and moly grease on the gas rings and bolt carrier rails. Runs like a top, suppressed/unsuppressed, dry, wet, dirty, great rifle.

Link Posted: 4/7/2010 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I let mine sit a couple weeks without cleaning. Needed a hammer to open it back up
If you neglect your weapon, it will rust.
http://www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/ak-74_3.jpg
http://www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/akapart-4.jpg

Goddamn man
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I let mine sit a couple weeks without cleaning. Needed a hammer to open it back up

I took the rifle out again  4:00pm Tuesday afternoon.........put 60 rounds through it and brought it home and stored it in the corner.  I pulled it apart about 6:00am this morning so basically 38 hours since firing.......Once again bolt face spotless, carrier key and barrel bore just a bit of carbon but rear of the carrier bolt bore and the rear of the bolt showing signs of the corrosive action of the ammunition...The bolt is an M16, quite old with much of the military finish worn off the rear portion where the rings are positioned.  The bolt face has no coating since I opened it up to fit the 5.45 rim......it does not appear to rust as it receives no (or at least not much) residue from the primer.  I know metals react different ways when coated differently.  I wonder how the rear of the bolt might react if I parkerized it?  It just might make the metal less subject to the corrosive action and would not interfere with the function.  Any thoughts on this?

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

you monster!!

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took the rifle out again  4:00pm Tuesday afternoon.........put 60 rounds through it and brought it home and stored it in the corner.  I pulled it apart about 6:00am this morning so basically 38 hours since firing.......Once again bolt face spotless, carrier key and barrel bore just a bit of carbon but rear of the carrier bolt bore and the rear of the bolt showing signs of the corrosive action of the ammunition...The bolt is an M16, quite old with much of the military finish worn off the rear portion where the rings are positioned.  The bolt face has no coating since I opened it up to fit the 5.45 rim......it does not appear to rust as it receives no (or at least not much) residue from the primer.  I know metals react different ways when coated differently.  I wonder how the rear of the bolt might react if I parkerized it?  It just might make the metal less subject to the corrosive action and would not interfere with the function.  Any thoughts on this?

I'm inclined to think that parkerizing would help. I think one of the advantages of parkerizing is the surface texture which tends to hold oil better. I bet hard chrome would be a good finish in this particular application, as well.

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I suspect the hardchrome would be the perfect answer..........Chrome bolts are available at fairly reasonable pricing but as I tend to build or modify I believe I will try the parkerizing and there are some exhaust/manifold paints we use in the truck shop that are supposed to stand temperatures of 900° or so......I might try that also........are you aware of any teflon product that might be used?  I also found an M16 bolt with 99% of the milspec finish left on it.........I might modify the bolt face and give it a try.............I do not have an aversion to cleaning but anything I might do to make the weapon more impervious to the corrosiveness of the ammo would give a guy a bit more latitude in cleaning............
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm inclined to think that parkerizing would help. I think one of the advantages of parkerizing is the surface texture which tends to hold oil better. I bet hard chrome would be a good finish in this particular application, as well.

I had the 4 lb beauty out again this morning..........and had a few instances of failure to feed (short stroke) and passed it off to Russian ammo............When I got home a while ago I tore it down to clean and it occurred to me I needed to look deeper.........Between my Tantal's and this rifle and the several I have put together for others I have expended 3000 to 4000 rounds of the Russian and Bulgarian (?) without a single ammunition caused issue.  Examination revealed the gas rings on the bolt were extremely worn.  In retrospect I have been examining the rust issue with the ring section of the bolt.  At times I know I have fired the rifle with corrosion present......corrosion(rust) is many many times harder and more abrasive than carbon......My sample size is small but it appears that if an individual is using the corrosive ammo and notices an issue similar to mine the gas rings would be the first thing to examine......I have replaced the rings and will probably retest this afternoon...........
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#17]
My experiences with the surplus ammo have lead to a couple new information items.........the M16 bolt with no protective coat on the portion behind the gas rings will develop corrosion within a day.........a commercial bolt I have modified that has 100% of the original coating has not developed corrosion after 12 days.......I am going to take the M16 bolt body and parkerize the bare portion and see if that makes a difference.
One thing that does occurr though is the interior of the carrier at the extreme rear of the bolt bore will develop corrosion in a day but seems to "shoot out".  I have experienced no corrosive action in the gas tube, the firing pin, the cam pin or the chrome bore on the modified AK barrel.
A chance discovery a few minutes ago might be worth taking note of.  I have modified a standard military front sight base with a set screw to limit gas to the carrier.  I noticed a brownish residue around the set screw so pulled it to see what was happening.  The gas passage within the base was corroded as was the end of the set screw I had used...........It just might bare watching on some of the commercially produced upper assemblies...........llc
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top