Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Just some thoughts...

- Take apart the bolt carrier assembly and clean and lube all parts.
- Make sure your gas key is TIGHT.  The bolts holding it on should be staked.
- Put the A2 stock/buffer/spring back in, if you still have one, and see if that works.
- You say it came with an "extra" buffer spring... I forget who is advertising them, but somebody is selling telestocks for like 20 bucks, and they include an extra buffer spring for some reason.  If you got the same one, it's a very cheap stock, whether that translates into poor quality I don't know because I haven't seen one in person.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#2]

My Guess.  The buffer tube spring is too long.  You need a shorter collapsible stock buffer spring.  Order a spring on the Equipment Exchange from Denny or JTAC or C4igrant etc.

BTW this happened to me once-- It had an out of spec too long spring--or it may have been a full length stock rifle spring.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am  lisening but no one is saying anything other then check the stock...

Several of us have said quite a bit more.

But instead of doing what was suggested you're starting to whine like my 6 year old.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#4]
What model is it?  With an empty magazine inserted does the bolt lock completely to the rear and release cleanly?  If not check spring, buffer and buffer tube group.  Does it have a standard front sight or is it a gas block style?  This problem sounds so much like a gas problem.  Check you gas rings on your bolt and make sure that they are staggered.  Pull the upper off, get a buddy and have him put his finger in the chamber and plug the chamber off to form an airtight seal.  Put your mouth around the end of the barrel and blow (I know this sounds funny).  Air should travel freely through the gas port if it feels restricted then the gas block or front sight is not lined up properly or you have a blockage in the gas system.  As much pressure that is normally in the gas system I can’t see it as staying there after the first shot unless it was stuck there really good.  Hope this helps.  These rifles are so simple mechanically that there can’t be too many culprits of your problem.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Onrope1971....

Sounds good.  I will check this tonight.  

I will also measure the spring and take some pics. for you all.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Have you read the -23&P yet?

That's a very useful suggestion. Lots of good info in there, I learned a lot. Sometimes you will see printed copies at funshows. Pick one up if you can, or just grab the .pdf.

Make sure the castle nut that secures the receiver extension is on TIGHT, so you don't have any issues
with the stock being loose.

I'm real perplexed as to how you lost your buffer retainer pin, and not the spring. Weird.

As other's have suggestion make sure you have the right buffer. Looks at Bushmaster's website in the parts section to see the difference in sizes. It should be quite obvious.

Mags are VERY critical to the functioning of the weapon. My BM came with a 10 round mag. Its a piece of shit basically. Should it work because it CAME with the weapon? Well, that's a reasonable expectation. DOES it work? No. I learned to get over it.

I think once you read the 23P things will be a lot clearer.

RE: advice from guys at gunshops. Unfortuneately, this is the real world, and a lot of them talk a lot of shit. A guy like Tweak's advice is worth 100x that of some gunshop commando. Look at this bonafides in his Profile, and then you will understand.

I have done all I can here I think.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am  lisening but no one is saying anything other then check the stock...

Several of us have said quite a bit more.

But instead of doing what was suggested you're starting to whine like my 6 year old.

Hey, you would be pissed too if you have waited a month and a half to shot this sweet thing to have to not even fire!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"No - and some that are marked 5.56 are really chambered for .223..."  

Not to hijack your thread, but is there any proof of this???  Seems like a bogus statement...

I'd have to check but IIRC my oly PCR1 lower is marked 5.56/.223.

But it doesn't matter what the lower is marked, that has no bearing on what the chamber of the upper is.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#9]

maybe some one could post a thread with proper install of the stock with pics?

As a matter of fact:

http://www.rbprecision.com/rb_precision_ar15_performance_tips__m.htm#installing_a_collapsible_stock

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#10]
"Put your mouth around the end of the barrel and blow (I know this sounds funny)."

I JUST FREAKING SPIT MOUNTAIN DEW ALL OVER MY COMPUTER THAT WAS SOME FUNNY SHIT!!! BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#11]
With all due respect to everyone here, if the rifle is brand new, I would be talking to Armalite first. They have always given me great support. It's frustrating as hell waiting to shoot it if you have to send it back to them, but it will be right when you get it back, and fixed for free. I know on my AR-10 they even reimburse the cost of shipping it to them.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Not to hijack your thread, but is there any proof of this???  Seems like a bogus statement...

You are obviously new to the world of AR-15s then.

Both DPMS & Oly have done this - as has Armalite.  For a while Oly was even marking their .223 barrels as '556'.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Both DPMS & Oly have done this - as has Armalite.  For a while Oly was even marking their .223 barrels as '556'.

Well thats some crazy shit if you ask me....   Most people think that the 223 and 556 is the same...  couldnt be further from the truth.   Thanks for the clarification......  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#14]
put the the stock that came with it back on and see if it still doesnt work
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#15]
No place to shoot.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why in the world would anyone want 556?

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why in the world would anyone want 556?

Because that way they can safetly shoot mil surp ammo, which is cheap and plentiful. 5.56 operates at higher presures than .223 from my understanding. Have you read the ammo FAQ? it;s a good read lots of valuable info and it's always evolving and being updated.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I have to say the buffer spring was the wrong size and not allowing the bolt to cycle back far enough to chamber another round.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Have you tried putting the original stock back on and firing it?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Had the same problem with an Armalite.  After trying everything imaginable sent it back to Armalite.  Took 2 months.  Return work order stated 1) obstruction in gas port (redrilled barrel port) 2) carrier out of spec (replaced carrier) and 3) bolt out of spec (replaced bolt).  

Now all works as it should have in the first place.  Now the only thing I buy is LMT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Can I send it back even though I don't have the reciept nor any idea of where I bought it from?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Can I send it back even though I don't have the reciept nor any idea of where I bought it from?

This gets better and better!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Amnesia?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I have shot 556 and 223 interchangebly for years in all types of rifles with out any trouble the differences are minor not near as different as firing standard ammo in an Ackley improved chamber, its perfectly safe and should work only place you could get into trouble is with a super tight 223 chamber and super loose 5.56 ammo.  If you buy a rifle with a Match cut chamber you should only shoot Match ammo anyways.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I may be an asshole, but....you're a twit.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

As long as you're sure your rifle actually says Armalite on it and has a serial number.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#27]
What does your buffer look like?

Left is rifle length, right is Carbine length (Collapsible should be this length)

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

At this point I'd be more interested to know if it had a serial number instead of whether it's stamped .223 or 5.56!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey WS4LIF,
Did you say you wanted to convert it to no ban? If you do, I suggest talking to Armalite because they have a special conversion sale. And while it is there, let them fix the damn thing. They might have to replace the collapsing stock, but atleast they will fix the rifle. C'mon, its like killing 2 birds with one stone. I've been seeing a lot of post where gunshops been doing hack jobs on threading barrells and such. I'm sure Armalite will treat you good. I have an Armalite M15a2 and I love the rifle. I use nothing but Winchester Q3131A and Federal XM193 with Labelle mags. I'm looking for some good usgi straight 20s. My rifle had never had a hiccup. I'm not brand biased eiher because I recently purchased a RRA entry tatical and have plans to buy Bushy and Fulton Armory (I like the vietnam era A1) in the future, Good luck with your riflehref=Armalite POST-POST ban program
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some cynical SOB might even say "unbelievable".   Not me of course.

5sub

At this point, I'm still trying to decide whether this is a "don't feed the trolls" or "here's your sign" post...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

his

5sub

At this point, I'm still trying to decide whether this is a "don't feed the trolls" or "here's your sign" post...

I think WS4LIF needs some ridalin and make an attempt to heade the advice of multiple people posting in this thread and actually try some of their suggestions instead of carrying this thread to 4 pages.

unfuckingbelievable

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#34]
"I'll take fruit cake for $1,500, Alex"
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Assuming the bolt could open all the way when you started shooting (otherwise how would you get the round in).

Sounds like you're telestock wasn't installed properly.  If the buffere detent pin could fly out then the stock isn't screwed in far enough.

The Detent pin was the part that was preventing your bolt carrier from going all the way back (consider yourself lucky it didn't lock up the carbine).

That was the problem that I had with mine...  After looking at the lower the detent pin was all messed up as well as the hole that it sets in.  Glad the stock was installed by the shop so they replaced the entire gun since the lower was totally hosed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#36]
This thread sucks and is pure bullshit. There is no city on Oregon big enough to put an individual 200 miles from a place to shoot. Get Real!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
"I'll take fruit cake for $1,500, Alex"

Damnit man, I just spit lemonade all over my laptop!  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

5sub

No, not you...

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Damn, you guys are harsh....my internet feelings are hurt.

I bought it from a vendor at a gun show....I don't remember the shop name....not that big a deal.  Damn.

Again...this has nothing to do with my problem.  Shit, I haven't even been able to get home to try and remidy the situation.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Doesn't Armalite has some kind of life time warrenty anyways?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Just go home, try some of the advice offered here and post the results instead of refuting solutions offered by people that have been in the game a whole lot longer than you.

P.S. I thought you said (and I quote)

I don't believe in warrenty because NO company has honored any for me.

h.gif
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#42]
what part of oregon do you live in? 200 miles from anyplace to shoot?the states only 300 miles long north to south and I can think of 100 plaes to shoot on those 3 hundred miles and thats on the I 5 corridor  [I'll take fruit cake for 1500 alex I almost choked to death with that one ] damb this is funny ! [rolf2]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#45]
See above
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top