Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, I uploaded those pics in Aug 2005, so thats a timeframe for the original thread.  Other 2 pics not posted are not so good, 1 has bad angle, other is blurry.  Another "action" pic of said rifle gets me too much grief to post, but you may have seen it already.  Guy in poncho in the rain tossing rifle down.

ETA: Going to the wayback machine here, but barrel was Bushy,  BCG was M1S, think upper rec. was as well.  Lower was a RRA, do not recall who's LPK.  

Now that's awesome! And so many are told to stray away from Model 1 BCG's and internals.

It wouldnt  have broke if it was a good BCG.

All parts break eventually. At 16k any bolt would have been past it's service life. Bolts can develop cracks in as little as 5k rounds.

Just becuae this Model 1 bolt made it that long doesn't mean the next 100 in the batch would have. It was more of a exception to the rule. That also doesn't mean that a Colt can't break at 3k rounds either. But I would choose a Colt simpy because they are consistently built to a standard, for example.

My comment was kind of tongue in cheek, but that being said I have never seen a quality bolt go in 16k rounds.  I know it happens.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
How often was this rifle lubed?
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I thought RustedAce did a thread with pics like that, too.

He did but his was for 5880 rounds.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=454616

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#5]

This guys videos are hilarious!!  I just subscribed
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 4:19:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting article in this months issue of S.W.A.T. 17,600 rounds (I believe) torture test until catastrophic destruction.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 4:46:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Sheesh, replace barrel at 15k rounds? Replace LPK at 10k? I've never heard that before. Is that even with proper maintenance?

I'm over 7k on my AKS-74U SBR right now..and I sure as hell won't be changing any parts any time soon..probably never. Thing runs like a raped ape. Only ever had ONE jam on it, and that was because I put one of those stupid Blackjack buffers in it. I hope my AR SBR lasts as long...(no I'm not ragging on the AR or saying AK's are better, just wondering what I can expect out of my AR)
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 4:49:07 AM EDT
[#8]
16,000 rounds, musta lubed it with Mobil !.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 4:52:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 5:01:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sheesh, replace barrel at 15k rounds? Replace LPK at 10k? I've never heard that before. Is that even with proper maintenance?

I'm over 7k on my AKS-74U SBR right now..and I sure as hell won't be changing any parts any time soon..probably never. Thing runs like a raped ape. Only ever had ONE jam on it, and that was because I put one of those stupid Blackjack buffers in it. I hope my AR SBR lasts as long...(no I'm not ragging on the AR or saying AK's are better, just wondering what I can expect out of my AR)

Barrel replacement depends on your expectation of accuracy.  A good chrome lined barrel will go for way over 15k rounds, but after 20k or so you will probably be noticing a decrease in accuracy.  If you can live with 3-4 MOA (I'm assuming you can since you have an AK) I doubt you would be replacing a quality CL barrel with less than 20k rounds on it.  For those who insist on holding less than 2MOA more frequent barrel replacement intervals will be expected.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 5:24:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Barrel replacement depends on your expectation of accuracy.  A good chrome lined barrel will go for way over 15k rounds, but after 20k or so you will probably be noticing a decrease in accuracy.  If you can live with 3-4 MOA (I'm assuming you can since you have an AK) I doubt you would be replacing a quality CL barrel with less than 20k rounds on it.  For those who insist on holding less than 2MOA more frequent barrel replacement intervals will be expected.

For me it's more about listening to people who oversee 100k or more rounds down range every year. When they say this is what we do to avoid problems with the weapon system I listen. The average arfcommer does not need to adhere to this PM schedule since 15k may take 15 years, for me it does not. The price of those parts pales in comparison to the cost of the ammo shot out of the rifle.

It's kind of like waiting for the brakes on your car to go out before replacing them or driving on bald tires. Preventative maintenance and maintenance are two different things. I have chosen a standard.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 5:26:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Questions for MisterPX,

The Buffer tube broke but how many times did you have to replace the Buffer Spring? How about the buffer itself?

Also I do not know if you would have shot 15K rounds anyways but if you just did it as part of a test that is a chunk of change.

Say $250/ per 1,000 back in those days That's $3,750. I don't know over how many years that was but still it's a lot of $$$.

Thanks for your contribution though!
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 5:57:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the info, guys. I have probably 500-700 rounds through my AR total (bought everything brand new, I'm the only one to put rounds through it) so I'm sure i have PLENTY of life left in it. Will take me a very long time to even reach 10k. Ammo prices suck

By the way, contrary to popular belief, my AKS-74U is very accurate, even out to 200 yards. At 100 yards its about the same accuracy as my 11.5" AR15 w/ Aimpoint and MBUS sights. At 200 yards, I've gotten about 55 out of 60 rounds in the area of a man's chest.  (haven't shot at that distance for any type of real accuracy, though, so I couldn't tell you group sizes..just set up a silhouette target and fired 2 mags at it supported on the mag). But anyways, sorry for the digression.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Questions for MisterPX,
The Buffer tube broke but how many times did you have to replace the Buffer Spring? How about the buffer itself?
Also I do not know if you would have shot 15K rounds anyways but if you just did it as part of a test that is a chunk of change.
Say $250/ per 1,000 back in those days That's $3,750. I don't know over how many years that was but still it's a lot of $$$.

I lubed with miltec every 700-1000 roundsish.  Although, i probably did add more whenever it was a new day at teh range.
Buffer tube broke during the SPOT testing, which was after the torture test was over.  Didn't replace any parts during the test, although I had to use charging handle to release bolt towards the end.
Keep in mind this was back in '05, when wolf 223 was $93 delivered.
Link Posted: 6/6/2010 9:07:14 PM EDT
[#16]
lol!
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 4:00:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I read a thread once on here where a guy took his 416 to a 2 day Carbine class and ran is supressed the whole time without cleaning. That was pretty nasty too.  I think the only reason it stopped working was a  chip of carbon fell in to the trigger group. I hope someone can dig it up.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 6:06:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Let me get this straight,  this wasn't a complete factory gun?  like a complete colt or one of the other millspec  ar"s?
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 6:19:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Questions for MisterPX,

I lubed with miltec every 700-1000 roundsish.  Although, i probably did add more whenever it was a new day at teh range.
Buffer tube broke during the SPOT testing, which was after the torture test was over.  Didn't replace any parts during the test, although I had to use charging handle to release bolt towards the end.
Keep in mind this was back in '05, when wolf 223 was $93 delivered.

holy fucking shit, your gun test just tore apart the fabric of space-time...

- parts gun using M1S bolt carrier group
- wolf steel cased ammunition
- militec for lube
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Theres no reason to replace a chromelined barrel unless the rounds are keyholing..its different for those who want MOA performance out of their rifle for matches but for a combat/self defense rifle unless the rounds are keyholing or hitting sideways the barrel is still good as its ususally the throat that goies first.I have a Polytech latemodel rifle I bought in 92 it has 17k rounds on it and its still grouping within 4" at 150 yds.Its the rifle with the most through it and I havent changed anything except add a chromed firing pin 6k rounds ago.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 5:11:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

MOTHER OF GOD!

I'd like to hear about rifle specs.

since that picture is pretty old,I'd say it is either a Colt or a Bushmaster, I'm leaning toward a Bushmaster for some reason.....I just don't remember too many other names at the time this was taken. I also remember when that the picture was posted it was during the height of the Wolf Ammo bashing era (pre 2004) when Wolf was $109 per 1k.

ETA - original owner stated specs and year

Link Posted: 6/8/2010 5:14:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not bad. If you get 16K rounds out of it without cleaning you already exceeded the life cycle of some of the parts that need to be cleaned anyway. Throw those parts away and start on your next 16K rounds.

I bet this makes the people who shoot one mag and detail strip thier guns cringe.

+1 to all.

at 15k I replace upper or at least the barrel and new bolt.

bolts and lpk's at 10k

lots of small stuff in between.
a little extreme 'eh?

I'm on 24k rounds on my Bushy M4 with only a extractor/ejector spring change at 20k. Barrel still shoots pretty good and the bolt is fine. Also my LPK (BUSHY/DPMS!) is still running perfectly.

Link Posted: 6/8/2010 5:28:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Not bad. If you get 16K rounds out of it without cleaning you already exceeded the life cycle of some of the parts that need to be cleaned anyway. Throw those parts away and start on your next 16K rounds.

I bet this makes the people who shoot one mag and detail strip thier guns cringe.

+1 to all.
bolts and lpk's at 10k
a little extreme 'eh?
I'm on 24k rounds on my Bushy M4 with only a extractor/ejector spring change at 20k. Barrel still shoots pretty good and the bolt is fine. Also my LPK (BUSHY/DPMS!) is still running perfectly.

Well put, I tend to keep spare stuff on hand but thats a little extreme.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 to all.
bolts and lpk's at 10k
a little extreme 'eh?

I posted my reasoning above. In my last class the guy next to me had his bolt lugs shear off on his bushy bolt. Round count on the bolt was around 11k. I'm going to listen to people who do this shit for a living and the people who work at Crane. Just because a rilfe can go a certain amount of rounds without problems doesn't mean the others will, especially considering different firing schedules. That is all.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 6:55:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Interesting article in this months issue of S.W.A.T. 17,600 rounds (I believe) torture test until catastrophic destruction.

Pat suggests that the KABOOM was ammo related.
I wonder what Colt will say about this.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 6:56:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Sweet.  I missed those back in the day.

Link Posted: 6/8/2010 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Mister PX,
I'd like to hear this story next time I see you at the range.
I'd like to see more pics too.
Sounds like a very interesting experiment.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 to all.

bolts and lpk's at 10k

a little extreme 'eh?

I posted my reasoning above. In my last class the guy next to me had his bolt lugs shear off on his bushy bolt. Round count on the bolt was around 11k. I'm going to listen to people who do this shit for a living and the people who work at Crane. Just because a rilfe can go a certain amount of rounds without problems doesn't mean the others will, especially considering different firing schedules. That is all.

fair enough, just for the record, my 24k round bolt is a Bushmaster bolt also. When ammo was cheap (around the time of 2005) I shot 1k per range sesson, about twice per month, so I am very comfortable shooting Bushy Bolts and Barrels. Today I still shoot 1k per range session, but it is longer between shoots because of the price.

keep on shooting!
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 7:17:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 7:20:00 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

fair enough, just for the record, my 24k round bolt is a Bushmaster bolt also. When ammo was cheap (around the time of 2005) I shot 1k per range sesson, about twice per month, so I am very comfortable shooting Bushy Bolts and Barrels. Today I still shoot 1k per range session, but it is longer between shoots because of the price.

keep on shooting!
You have a bunch of rounds through one Ar, right? I think I asked you this one other time

yea, same one, 24k rounds. the one from the 20k round carbine thread from a year or two ago.

Link Posted: 6/9/2010 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#32]
I just wanna know 2 things. Was the FSB "F" marked and was the barrel parkerized underneath?

Very cool, I wish ammo was cheaper these days so we could see more people doing this with other brands of parts.
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#33]
So, after a few lite repairs and a long hot bath, is it back in action?
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I just wanna know 2 things. Was the FSB "F" marked and was the barrel parkerized underneath?

Link Posted: 6/11/2010 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#35]
So if a guy were to have a new sbr would I want to run a few hundred rounds of brass before starting with the Wolf?
Link Posted: 6/11/2010 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So, after a few lite repairs and a long hot bath, is it back in action?

After I pulled the bolt, I converted it into my "dedicated" 22 upper. Never bothered to clean it, just had to scrub some of the areas in the upper so the adapter would go in.  I just add lube to teh 22 now as well.
Link Posted: 6/11/2010 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Not bad.  If you get 16K rounds out of it without cleaning you already exceeded the life cycle of some of the parts that need to be cleaned anyway.  Throw those parts away and start on your next 16K rounds.

And yes, yes it does

I must have OCD or something, cause I could not sleep, I would have to call off work, to stay home and clean one of my rifles if it looked like that. Yea I know it will still function with all that shit in there, but that would bug me to no end.

Link Posted: 6/12/2010 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
POS jammomatic

Yup.  AR-15's are absolutely unreliable.

I love my AK's, but AR-15's are plenty reliable.  Absolutely love them.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
POS jammomatic

Yup.  AR-15's are absolutely unreliable.

I love my AK's, but AR-15's are plenty reliable.  Absolutely love them.

(that's sarcasm crazy)
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 6:14:56 AM EDT
[#40]
edit: nevermind...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top