Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Unless Brownells is selling a commercial receiver extension with a flat end, this car stock is useless. The standard commercial receiver extension has an angled end which will show when the stock is fully collapsed.
View Quote
Actually I have seen quite a few companies selling flat back commercial tubes in the last couple of years.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Actually I have seen quite a few companies selling flat back commercial tubes in the last couple of years.
View Quote
That sounds great! Maybe you would be willing to start a list of vendors who carry the flat back receiver extensions for people interested in purchasing one of these car stock bodies.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That sounds great! Maybe you would be willing to start a list of vendors who carry the flat back receiver extensions for people interested in purchasing one of these car stock bodies.
View Quote
I know that DPMS makes them, and Bud's carried them a couple of months ago, Our LGS has them, I will have to check the brand next time I am in there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#4]
How long to we get a A1 rifle kit?  Every thing but the lower.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
 I can't imagine it'll be much longer. Brownells will sell even more of these once they decide to start selling barreled, A1 uppers. Mate up their barrels and uppers and you're close enough for most people.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:01:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I am glad to see the furniture is finally being released.  I will have to get a set for myself to see how they compare to the originals.  From what I see in the pictures they look quite nice as far as texture goes on the black part.  They look about the same as the later matte style stocks/handguards to me.  It does appear that the pistol grip looks a little strange for some reason not sure what it is though.  And perhaps the back end of the handguards where the slip ring goes on them, I am not sure if it is a slightly different angle or not.  Either way they look better then I was expecting and not a bad price either.  

The one thing I will say looks a little odd is the green and brown sets, I am not sure if that is how the final sets will look but if so then they are not anywhere close to the originals.  That being said, I am not a big fan of the originals anyway and prefer black sets.  And I do think the brown ones look pretty good too but not for a retro build, just for something different on a mis-match rifle.  

Brownells has been doing an awesome job releasing all of these parts lately, I just can't wait until A1 port doors & rear sight kits are readily available for a good price again.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#7]
And they're already on backorder.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Probably will have full built rifles, as they sell pretty much everything you need for a Repro A1. Except for the bayonet and Bi pod?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Brownells A1 furniture kit arrived this afternoon. There are some differences with the one real furniture set I have but it mostly looks OK to me. It's been over 40 years since I handled a real M16A1. This rifle was my first and only attempt to build a M16A1 clone.

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Brownells A1 furniture kit arrived this afternoon. There are some differences with the one real furniture set I have but it mostly looks OK to me. It's been over 40 years since I handled a real M16A1. This rifle was my first and only attempt to build a M16A1 clone.

https://i.imgur.com/LyniHxL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZXVEyhW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jJDegw7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3xQdQJa.jpg
View Quote
I received mine today as well and will take some images later of them.  But for those of us doing reproductions, I believe they have a good product here and the price is a good on them, I compared them to the original sets on my FA M16's and they are pretty close to what was issued on the A1 rifles in the service.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#12]
The CAR stock made to commercial specs is a huge disappointment.  What were they thinking?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
She turned out nice!
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Who's gonna be first to try distressing and polishing a set?  
Wonder if they'll shine up like the real thing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Who's gonna be first to try distressing and polishing a set?  
Wonder if they'll shine up like the real thing.
View Quote
With use, they will, I am sure of it, feeling how they are as new, it will take a while of using them, but I am sure they will smooth out and polish.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:31:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
You say there's some differences between these and the original USGI furniture. I, personally, don't see any differences (but then again, I've only seen pictures. Never seen an in-person example). For those of us who are less familiar with the furniture (myself included), would you care to elaborate? And, just for curiosity's sake, what prevents you from saying 'these are great'? I'm seriously contemplating purchasing these instead of the more expensive USGI examples.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:47:24 AM EDT
[#17]
That set looks great on your rifle, thanks for posting pics up.  I would also like to know from anyone who gets a set what they see as being different from USGI sets.  In those pictures it all looks nice to me, perhaps the pistol grip still looks a little off but I just can't place why.  

For the price point and the way these are looking I figure I will end up with some in the future.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 3:04:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Just ordered the CAR stock- Can't go wrong for exactly $20 shipped to my door. Have a commercial buffer tube on the way too for $11 shipped.

This Brownell's CAR stock replicates the aluminum version without strengthening ribs that was rubber coated, not the poly Fiberite stock that had the ribs.  If I feel the need to make it more like an original, I can spray on a few coats of aerosol Plasti-Dip and call it good :)
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I received my Brownells M16A1 retro triangular handguards yesterday and I am quite pleased with their quality.  According to the packaging they are made from DuPont Zytel.  Zytel is DuPont's trade name for their Nylon resin.  Nylon is generically known as Polyamide.  This appears to be a glass filled grade, which one specifically I do not know.  Glass filled nylons are used in many under the hood automotive applications like intake manifolds so heat will not be a problem for these handguards.

They are stiff like the original handguards and may not be as brittle.  Not sure exactly what the composition of the originals were.  The heat shield is installed with what appears to be small hex head screws.  I have not been able to install them yet so I cannot comment on their fit.  More to come...
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You say there's some differences between these and the original USGI furniture. I, personally, don't see any differences (but then again, I've only seen pictures. Never seen an in-person example). For those of us who are less familiar with the furniture (myself included), would you care to elaborate? And, just for curiosity's sake, what prevents you from saying 'these are great'? I'm seriously contemplating purchasing these instead of the more expensive USGI examples.
View Quote
About the differences. I've included some more pictures to illustrate what I can see. As I said, I'm no retro guy (just old). Overall I would have to say I am pleased with the purchase.

First. The boxes are nice and include a vented screw with the stock as well as a screw and star washer for the pistol grip.

The grip is the most obviously different piece. The 'real' grip on the left is an NOS Colt.

The handguards are duller and feel a little smaller at the receiver end. When I assembled my clone a couple weeks ago after finally taking delivery of the receivers from Nodak, the first thing I noticed was how large the handguards felt at the receiver end. I didn't remember that from the service. I like the feel of the new handguards better.

Last is the stock. I didn't get one of the older style stocks when I obtained my furniture set so I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between Brownells and 'real'. This new stock is actually the type I had when I was in. The new stock's material looks and feels different and is hollow. Sounds hollow too if you tap on it. There are a couple pieces that float around inside until you get the buffer tube inserted and the screw installed. After that I detected no more rattle.

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just ordered the CAR stock- Can't go wrong for exactly $20 shipped to my door. Have a commercial buffer tube on the way too for $11 shipped.

This Brownell's CAR stock replicates the aluminum version without strengthening ribs that was rubber coated, not the poly Fiberite stock that had the ribs.  If I feel the need to make it more like an original, I can spray on a few coats of aerosol Plasti-Dip and call it good :)
View Quote
I looked at the CAR stock online at Brownells and it looks to me to be identical to the one I purchased from Model One Sales when I attend the Knob Creek MG shoot this last spring. Model One included a 4 position commercial receiver extension, egg plate, lock ring, buffer and spring. I think I paid somewhere around $40 to $45 for it. The receiver extension was flat on the like it was supposed to be.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank you for going into more detail, davestoll. They appear to be good looking clones. They'll be getting my money at some point. Just have to decide if I want to buy this first or 1911 parts.... Oh, woe is me. Thanks, again.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Just put a stock and pistol grip on my retro-inspired midlength that I built 5 or 6 years ago.  Previously had a carbine stock and actual A1 grip.  The Brownells grip seems a little skinnier and "off" somehow, so I might put the other one back on.  Overall I'm pleased with the quality, though I had to melt off the globbed on threadlocker on the stock screw in order to get it installed.

Edit: Handguards came from that guy above me
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#26]
It would be nice to see someone make some Carbine and Midlength A1 handguards.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I ordered an A1 grip and butt stock in brown, to see if it matches the handguards on my retro trigger charging handle Armalite AR10B. It should be a noticeable improvement over the original brown A2 stock and A2 grip.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I believe someone here mentioned A1 rear sights?

Saw this link posted by another member, recently added too.
Rear Sight Assembly Link (Click me)
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I believe someone here mentioned A1 rear sights?

Saw this link posted by another member, recently added too.
Rear Sight Assembly Link (Click me)
View Quote
Might have been the one I posted. I should have them tomorrow and will post a pic in that thread. 
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, it was yours. Thanks for posting it originally. You saved me a nice chunk of cash, vs paying for a used USGI set.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I like the look of the all black rifle.  If it isn't too expensive, who would ever buy a M4 clone / modern carbine when they could have one of those!  

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:21:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Brownells has the black Furniture set  back in stock.  Along with both Brown and green  color options available to be ordered now. Or better stated they are  all available as of   September 16th 2017    05:10 am EST or if you prefer 09:10 AM Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) .  Please don't buy out all the brown and green sets.... I wonder, how many sold before they were placed as OOS temporarily?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:13:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Where are you guys seeing the carbine stocks listed? I can't find them on Brownells site.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:43:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Where are you guys seeing the carbine stocks listed? I can't find them on Brownells site.
View Quote
CAR Stock
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Remember, these are commercial diameter polymer stocks. They are also not correct for a XM177 clone. If you are looking for a more correct mil-spec polymer CAR stock for a 723 clone, 727 clone, or anything newer, get one from M&A Parts. If you are looking for a more correct stock for a XM177 clone, contact Essential Arms. They have mil-spec aluminum stock sets finished in gloss black. The aluminum vinyl acetate stocks were used on the XM177s and the Model 653 as well as Colt SP1 carbines.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Has anyone else noticed that the hole for the screw in the new Brownells A1 grip is off center?

I haven't tried installing it yet so I don't know if it will cause me any issues or not.

Edit: I just test fitted the grip and screw and it all went together just fine.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I couldn't imagine how a vent hole being off center could impede it's assembly. Maybe if the hole had to align with something in particular, like with the gasblock and barrel for example.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Here's the Brownells M16A1 handguard on my SP01 upper.  I am happy with the handguard, fit perfectly.  The upper is attached to my early Colt Match HBAR lower which is lacking the fence and reinforcement features.  I use the SP01 upper when I don't need to lug around the A2 HBAR upper.  The KNS .315 push button front pivot pin makes for quick upper swaps, no fumbling with the two screw drivers.

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Something I noticed is in their latest 'week in review' new products, is how the color of the green furniture (which is a very odd green....) changes with different camera angles. You'll notice that as the guy messes with the green set, the video will switch between two different cameras. Pay close attention to the furniture's color. To demonstrate my point....

This image is from the 'default' view, which most of the video takes place in. Note the color of both the furniture and the grey receiver.

This image is the alternate view. Notice how the color has what appears to be a red-ish tint over it....but it appears to be only on the rifle. Paul (I think that's his name) and the background still appear to be 'correct'.

"Don't you think you're paying a little too much attention, there, Arctic?" Maybe, but the difference here raises a potentially important question. What is the true color?

The rifle wearing the green furniture appears to be the same rifle (and potentially the same furniture) as posted in this teaser a while back before release.

However, they say that this color is not the final color.

When we compare those colors to this color (what I presume to be the color they were shooting for), it doesn't appear to be quite right. Granted, there's about a million reasons why the two don't match, most obviously that the image here (originally submitted by user SmashingPumpkins) displays very worn furniture, which could potentially be stained or otherwise ingrained with dirt, thus darkening the green shown.

OK, so what does the actual purchase page say?

And yet more inconsistency. The furniture off the rifle appears more correct, having another color mixed in to subdue the green a bit, although that set too could be just a test run, as evidenced by the defective surface finish on the pistol grip. The furniture on the rifle appears to be the same color as the prototype and the rifle shown from the default view in the video.

I'm not griping or complaining, but I wanted to point that out and see if anyone else noticed what I do. I'd really be interested to see if anyone has bought a green set yet, and if they'd be willing to put up a photo of them, preferably under direct sunlight to avoid color cast from artificial lighting.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Looking at Davestoll's pictures above I noticed the Type E stock he has in the picture looks significantly shorter then the Brownells stock right below it unless it is just the picture angle.  I sure hope these aren't the longer A2 stock length, if so that rules me out from ever buying any.  Can someone please check to confirm these are true A1 length and not the longer A2 length?  If they are true A1 length I am sure I will end up with many in the coming years but if not that messes that plan up.  

The handguards look great, way better then I was expecting.  And if the stock is the correct length then they also look nice from the pictures.  But that pistol grip is also a mess up, not that it looks horrible or anything but it is easy to tell it don't look right.  Comparing the pictures you can tell the checkering is slightly different and the area around the hole in the bottom is way off.  There is also a slight edge line you see at the top of the grip as it becomes thinner going towards the trigger guard hole that the original didn't have as it just continuously gets thinner instead.  All in all, the sets look really nice I am just hoping that stock is not A2 length, if so that is going to have me really bummed about these.  

And on the green stocksets you are right that the colors seem to be very weird and don't look very close to the originals IMO, and the browns seem even worse.  The original green seems to be a good bit darker shade from what I can tell.  Luckily I have never really liked the green/brown stocks so this doesn't bother me but people wanting something that looks right probably aren't going to be happy.  I actually kind of like the way the brown sets look perhaps to throw on a mis-match rifle - not for original 601 look.

Edited to add - from doing a little more measuring with sheets of paper on my computer screen I believe they are true A1 length comparing the A2 rifle below.  The Type E stock still looks a lot shorter but it must just be the way the photo appears.  Anyone that can confirm this would be great.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#42]
I swear, some of you guys are worse than my wife when she goes shopping for undergarments, nothing seems right!

Here is 3 images showing it right next to an A2 stock...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It is a good looking furniture set for a good price...

Again, some of you guys!

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Back in the day (80s and 90s)  I did gun shows almost full time for several years and part time for 10 years.  I handled USGI martial arms and parts.  I have had a number of sets of green 601 furniture through the years.  Colors varied due to wear, age, and oxidation.  I have seen them very light and very dark (especially if oiled).  I believe that's why it is so hard to replicate the original color.  Testor's FS34079 OD green is very close, though.  I will be interested to see what color green the Brownells is when I actually get it.  If it really sucks, I'll return it and get black!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#44]
By the way, you guys do remember they have a 100% return policy right?  If you don't like them send them back and go spend extra money on USGI beat to shit battle used stuff!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

When we compare those colors to this color (what I presume to be the color they were shooting for), it doesn't appear to be quite right. Granted, there's about a million reasons why the two don't match, most obviously that the image here (originally submitted by user SmashingPumpkins) displays very worn furniture, which could potentially be stained or otherwise ingrained with dirt, thus darkening the green shown.
View Quote
A lot of them are dark. I always thought that was how they started out at---could be wrong though.

IMG_2579 by Shannon, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Remember, these are commercial diameter polymer stocks. They are also not correct for a XM177 clone. If you are looking for a more correct mil-spec polymer CAR stock for a 723 clone, 727 clone, or anything newer, get one from M&A Parts. If you are looking for a more correct stock for a XM177 clone, contact Essential Arms. They have mil-spec aluminum stock sets finished in gloss black. The aluminum vinyl acetate stocks were used on the XM177s and the Model 653 as well as Colt SP1 carbines.
View Quote
Ah, I thought someone had said that Brownells had aluminum commercial spec stocks. No wonder I didn't find it.

The MA parts stocks are very nice. I used to have one and it was nearly identical to my Colt fiberlite stocks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#47]
PLius one on the MA fiberites.  They are almost impossible to tell from an original Colt.  Even the material feels the same.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:55:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the side by side pics Dave.  The only reason I was questioning it was from the one picture above where the Brownells set looks a good bit longer then the Type E right above it.  I am really not all that picky but being A2 length would have been a deal breaker for me.  Not because of it not looking original, but because I am not overly tall and the A2 buttstock is not very comfortable for me.  On any A2 builds I do goes an A1 length stock for the same reason.  

And actually you can get a used beat to heck USGI set for a bit cheaper, they are $50 at Numrich for the full set.  I have seen some pics of a few sets and most look to be pretty nice without any missing teeth or anything but I suppose that is a gamble.  I have yet to order any myself but probably will for the BFPU type look on some rifles.  It is nice having options for new looking furniture like Brownells offers though since I don't want to have every rifle look like a BFPU (although I wouldn't mind it too much).  

And to SmashingPumpkings, I don't remember ever seeing any lighter colored 601 stocks like I have seen in the Brownells pictures either but I have not seen enough to really say they don't exist either.  But as I said earlier I don't like the green look anyways so doesn't bother me much.  I will still likely be putting old beat up black furniture on a 601 type build myself.  The brown furniture they have actually looks halfway decent in the pics but I don't think they could ever truly replicate the originals with the type of material they are using no matter how hard they tried.  I actually like their brown better then the originals
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:07:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Has anyone else noticed that the hole for the screw in the new Brownells A1 grip is off center?

I haven't tried installing it yet so I don't know if it will cause me any issues or not.

Edit: I just test fitted the grip and screw and it all went together just fine.
View Quote
Anyone see a problem here with the Brownells A1 grip I got in the mail today?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The guy running the drill press must've gotten skittish after he drilled too far on the pencil barrels.

Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:25:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Anyone see a problem here with the Brownells A1 grip I got in the mail today?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123535/IMG_5359-309480.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123535/IMG_5361-309481.JPG

The guy running the drill press must've gotten skittish after he drilled too far on the pencil barrels.

View Quote
Let them know, I am pretty sure they would send you a new one.  I have never had a problem with them taking something back and replacing it.  Looks like the jig got knocked off a bit that the CNC was programed for.  The one I received is dead on.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top