BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/2/2016 2:51:37 PM EDT
I've never shot an AR before, I'm building my first one and recently finished my lower, and when playing around with it I realized something:

I can easily switch from "SAFE" to "FIRE" with my thumb while maintaining the proper grip, however I can't switch from "FIRE" to "SAFE" easily without shifting my grip a decent amount.  It's just too steep of an angle with the switch practically perpendicular to my thumb and the switch is too stiff.

Anyone else have trouble with this or do I just have freaky teeny thumbs?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Work on your grip strength

Sorry wrong forum.

There are aftermarket selectors that are longer or have more purchase area that may work for you.

In the end, probably more important to be able to rapidly switch to fire than rapidly switch to safe.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#2]
No, it is not uncommon.  I find it ungainly as well and have found ambi-selectors to be a great solution, as do many other people.  Use index finger to switch to safe.  I really like the Battle Arms Development ambi selector, or Seekins Precision ambi selector, FWIW
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#3]
45 degree selectors also help with that.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#4]
People thing ambi-safety selectors are for lefties,

they are not.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not a popular answer - what with modifying safety equipment, and all....

But you CAN polish up the selector detent point just the slightest bit, maybe make it just ever so much 'rounder'.

I'm not advocating this, mind you...  it's just an 'idea'.

I take no responsibility for you actually thinking about it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:42:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Both my ARs have PSA ambi selectors on them and they make it so much easier to apply the safety with my index finger.

It's not the best ambi selector on the market by far, but it is perfectly serviceable, especially for $10.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-ambi-safety-selector.html
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:47:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I use the Battle arms development ambi safety, I disengage the safety with my thumb and engage it with my index finger.

I don't have trouble reaching it with my thumb, but I prefer doing it this way, it's become so automatic that I don't even think about it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 2:12:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use the Battle arms development ambi safety, I disengage the safety with my thumb and engage it with my index finger.

I don't have trouble reaching it with my thumb, but I prefer doing it this way, it's become so automatic that I don't even think about it.
View Quote

I did this for a very long time.

In competition, placing on safe while "in a hurry" is an absolute requirement.  And failing to fully engage the safety results in a DQ.

I used Troy ambi's for years, but have switched to the AXTS ambi 45 safety.  Soooooooooo much smother and more comfortable, all with the thumb.  Faster off the buzzer too.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 2:21:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I wish we had ambi selectors when I was in the Army, it would have been much easier to teach people how to use their issue weapon correctly, that was one of our worse problems teaching boots!
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 2:34:48 AM EDT
[#10]
As I sit here and think about it, I've always used my left hand for that.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 2:37:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Some hints:

Get high on the grip.

Use the standard A2 size grip instead of the extra-huge tacticool grips.

The traditional style safety lever is easier to manipulate than the newer style. The newer style is where the lever goes all the way to the middle of the rotating part. With the traditional style you just kind of reach over the top and swipe down to go back on safe.

A 45 degree safety would be vastly easier. Just wish someone would make one that isn't more expensive than a lower.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 2:53:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Some hints:

A 45 degree safety would be vastly easier. Just wish someone would make one that isn't more expensive than a lower.
View Quote

I agree, everybody thinks there new invention is going to let them retire, no extra work but want the extra money for them!
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 4:30:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I agree, everybody thinks there new invention is going to let them retire, no extra work but want the extra money for them!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some hints:

I had the same problem, so the next AR I get will get a push button safety from Elftmann
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Get an ambidextrous safety.  I use my index finger on the right side to make the switch to SAFE.  It's so much easier.  While it's not done in Basic Training I don't know.  All AR's should be equipped with an ambi safety.   The cost is not huge and it only takes a few minutes.  It could be done at the company level.  It's not a depot issue. Just my opinion.
kwg
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#16]

They said they were discontinuing that model and only going to offer the newer one for $32 (option to make it single sided or ambi).  I was a little bummed because I really like this safety.  Nice to see they brought them back.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a Damage Industries 45 degree ambi switch on mine.  It was very stiff and difficult to put on safe.  I cut two coils off the detent spring and it is much better.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a Damage Industries 45 degree ambi switch on mine.  It was very stiff and difficult to put on safe.  I cut two coils off the detent spring and it is much better.  YMMV.
View Quote

I do this on all my ARs.
Definitely buy spare springs if you go this route. The only thing worse than a tight selector is a loose one.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I had the same problem, so the next AR I get will get a push button safety from Elftmann http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M1373e0d52d7a50312854363477549b03o0&w=239&h=188&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some hints:

I had the same problem, so the next AR I get will get a push button safety from Elftmann http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M1373e0d52d7a50312854363477549b03o0&w=239&h=188&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

I have one for my DPMS 308. I like it, although it is backwards from every cross bolt safety out there.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 2:45:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's not a popular answer - what with modifying safety equipment, and all....

But you CAN polish up the selector detent point just the slightest bit, maybe make it just ever so much 'rounder'.

I'm not advocating this, mind you...  it's just an 'idea'.

I take no responsibility for you actually thinking about it.
View Quote

this helps, I also put some grease in the groove.  i use ambi safetys for putting it on safe as well, but you said you had difficulty taking the safety off.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Some hints:

Get high on the grip.

Use the standard A2 size grip instead of the extra-huge tacticool grips.

The traditional style safety lever is easier to manipulate than the newer style. The newer style is where the lever goes all the way to the middle of the rotating part. With the traditional style you just kind of reach over the top and swipe down to go back on safe.

View Quote

I agree on Ambi-Short Throw Safety's being the best answer.  I use my Thumb to switch to fire and then when done shooting with my trigger/pointer finger extended straight and indexed along the side of the lower I drag the 1st knuckle (the one that is part of your palm area) against the lever back to safe.

P.S. For Memorial Day the Seekins Short Throw Ambi was only $24.99+ Shipping.  I dont like it as much as my V7 but for 1/3 the price its a nice piece of kit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Look at the Elfman push button speed safety. It works for me

https://www.rainierarms.com/elftmann-tactical-push-button-ambi-speed-safety-pre-order-ship-nov-10-13
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Not sure what all this crap is about using an index finger or other hand. Compromise your grip long enough to use your thumb. Practice bringing your fire arm from the "low ready" position on safe to aim on fire mode till you get it down.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I like the 45 or 60 degree safeties just for that reason.  Still, it's good to practice and be able to flick it on with a slight shift of your grip.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I like the 45 or 60 degree safeties just for that reason.  Still, it's good to practice and be able to flick it on with a slight shift of your grip.
View Quote

I have small hands and have always just adjusted my grip for the split second it takes to switch the selector back to safe without issue. However, I have one of the noveske 60 sts' on one rifle and like it a lot. It's smooth and fast. I tried a seekins 45 ambi and didn't care for it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#26]
While I have rather long fingers, my thumbs are actually a bit on the short side.  Even with most handguns, I have to shift my grip a bit to hit the mag release.  I was always a bit confused about why so many guns seemed to be 'built wrong'.  I finally compared my hands to some of my friends, and discovered my short thumbs.

So, it could just be that.  For ARs, we are fortunately that there are tons of aftermarket selectors available, some with longer and shorter tangs or whatever on them.

Handguns though, not many extended mag releases out there, depending on handgun type, of course.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
While I have rather long fingers, my thumbs are actually a bit on the short side.  Even with most handguns, I have to shift my grip a bit to hit the mag release.  I was always a bit confused about why so many guns seemed to be 'built wrong'.  I finally compared my hands to some of my friends, and discovered my short thumbs.

So, it could just be that.  For ARs, we are fortunately that there are tons of aftermarket selectors available, some with longer and shorter tangs or whatever on them.

Handguns though, not many extended mag releases out there, depending on handgun type, of course.
View Quote

I can't hit any mag releases with my thumb (except a G42), so all my pistols have to be ambi or have the ability to be set up for lefties so I can use my middle finger instead. Way faster, easier and safer than adjusting my grip to hit the release with my thumb. Economy of motion and all that. Ymmv
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a big fan of the Ambi selector ,  

The 45 degree are great , But price is not .

I picked up a cheap ambi selector on ebay  for $15.95  Shipped  .   Works for me .
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 8:32:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Honestly, my favorite safety design is the M14 type. I know that it isn't going to work on the AR, but having the safety inside the trigger guard when on safe makes it simple and easy to just push out to fire with the trigger finger without changing your grip and every shjooter's finger is long enough to reach it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I use a ambi safety and my trigger finger to engage to safe.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:56:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Guess im weird, I use my thumb for both directions. Never had an ambi selector so I just rolled with it.

If you watch videos, its common to see people break their firing grip to flip the selector to safety.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#32]
KAC ambi safety selectors will solve your problem.  I like them the best because the other side of the safety is scalloped.  Ive bought two sets for 50 a piece here on the EE.  

Heres a link.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/safety-parts/safeties/ar-15-ambidextrous-safety-kit-prod80106.aspx

The scalloped selector comes in the kit
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've never shot an AR before, I'm building my first one and recently finished my lower, and when playing around with it I realized something:

I can easily switch from "SAFE" to "FIRE" with my thumb while maintaining the proper grip, however I can't switch from "FIRE" to "SAFE" easily without shifting my grip a decent amount.  It's just too steep of an angle with the switch practically perpendicular to my thumb and the switch is too stiff.

Anyone else have trouble with this or do I just have freaky teeny thumbs?
View Quote

I am left eye dominant and use my index finger.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:58:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Not sure what all this crap is about using an index finger or other hand. Compromise your grip long enough to use your thumb. Practice bringing your fire arm from the "low ready" position on safe to aim on fire mode till you get it down.
View Quote

Agree with this. Break your grip just long enough to sweep the safety back on. Do it a couple hundred (or thousand) times in a class and it will become second nature.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Agree with this. Break your grip just long enough to sweep the safety back on. Do it a couple hundred (or thousand) times in a class and it will become second nature.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would call that a "training scar".
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

KAC ambi safety selectors will solve your problem.  I like them the best because the other side of the safety is scalloped.  Ive bought two sets for 50 a piece here on the EE.  

Heres a link.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/safety-parts/safeties/ar-15-ambidextrous-safety-kit-prod80106.aspx

The scalloped selector comes in the kit
View Quote

I'm a RH shooter but I put the KAC ambi scalloped selector on every lower I own. When I pick up a lower without this safety it feels "naked".
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Using the index finger to flip the safety on is a "safety" in it's own right.  If you are trying to flip the safety on and it's stiff you run the risk of an AD if you unintentionally squeeze to get better pay on the grip and force on the safety.  If you remove your trigger finger from the trigger to engage the safety you've actually been "double" safe.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm no operator or anything, but I fail to see how me breaking my grip for a millisecond to engage the safety is a big deal.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I put regular RR ambi selectors in a couple lowers.  Manipulate at the bench - I think yeah this feels good.
Every time I go shoot - "break" my grip just slightly (happens anyway going to low ready) as I use my thumb to flip back to safe I feel the selector on the other side hit the pad of my palm and think...oh yeah, ambi selector....
Scars don't heal.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 4:35:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm no operator or anything, but I fail to see how me breaking my grip for a millisecond to engage the safety is a big deal.
View Quote

When you're dynamically driving the weapon, disengaging the dominant grip from the platform can induce tactical distraction away from the critical mission profile.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 2:05:41 AM EDT
[#41]
I see you say you built your lower. Is the same amount of force used to move from FIRE to SAFE vs. SAFE to FIRE?  Or does it take more force to engage the safety?

If it takes more force to engage the safety then something is wrong. Either you have an out of spec detent, the wrong detent, the wrong spring or an out of spec safety lever. Much less likely that the detent or safety hole are mislocated in the receiver.

Maybe take the safety system apart, relube everything and reinstall. Maybe addressing the point of the detent if need be. They are typically very hard so it won't be easy but then it'll be hard to over do it too.

I bought my first AR in 1979 and taught myself to flick the safety off and back on with no conscious effort at all. Many times I have to look to be sure and it's alway back on safe. With practice, and inspec quality parts, you should get there too.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 6:24:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Recently got an AXTS Talon 45/90 and I'm pretty much spoiled for life now. Super fast, minimal effort.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Just put together my first lower also. Same problem. I have to break my grip slightly to bring
it back from fire to safe with my thumb, and it feels pretty awkward.

I bought my LPK from Sionics, and for $10 more upgraded to their ambi safety. Super easy to
flip the safety back wth my finger.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#44]
With the one AR15 I built I had the same problem. I had to pinch the lever with my thumb and finger to flip it on and off and it'd give a horrible grinding kind of feeling. But since it works and I don't anticipate having to use it for any urgent situation I stuck with it. After a couple of weeks it loosened up quite a bit and feels smooth as butter. Provided all the parts are in spec you probably just have to break it in. Maybe spend a couple of minutes of your day working it on and off and it'll probably ease up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm another here that prefers an ambi safety, so I can switch to safe with my trigger finger. It it much easier and seems more natural. All my ARs have ambi safeties.

Disclaimer: I am not, nor pretend to be CAG, SEAL, SOF or any other high speed operator.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly, if you're returning the rifle to safe, you're no longer engaged anyway; changing your grip angle a bit to reach the selector doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#47]
I just slightly break my grip to do it.

I do have bigger paws than the average bear too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#48]
I throw the KAC ambi safety with scalloped selector on every rifle. I'm right handed but use a combination of my thumb and pointer to flick the safety.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Never had any problems with using my thumb, but

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:31:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Never had a problem with it, but I've got bigger than normal hands so I probably don't count (as in just under size XL gloves and I find the Beretta M9 to be the most perfectly-sized pistol grip ever).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top