Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Fluxion -

Don't worry, the proposed deadline for sign up is 9/6/02.

Deposits can be up to 9/20/02 (suggested date)?

Current config best I can tell
- A3 or Lo Pro receiver
- 16" barrel, brushed stainless, 0.93" diameter, 11° crown, threads for two volunteers
- DPMS free floated aluminum hand gaurd
- your choice of A2 FS, lo profile or 4 rail gas block

What sights work with the A2 FS?  I would suggest the standard detachable carry handle or ARMS #40 for iron sights, other folks are using red dot type scopes or ACOG for optics.  My personal upper sports an IOR 6x42 scope for hunting deer and mini-vans.

Marty

ANYTHING OTHER THAN THIS I would consider esoterics and should be discussed with Marty.

Now, if anyone can set up a pole for the A3 or Lo-Pro upper choice (since I do not believe this to be an option but a full fledged one or the other deal) that would help out.  

Dave S

And I am for the A3 upper for the reasons I stated earlier.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm, regarding the upper variant:

I was under the impression that you could get whichever one you wanted. I thought MartyW said that they were essentially the same and that he would fill your order based on stated preference.

Am I wrong?

Lo-Rider A3 Flat Top Upper Receiver (w/forward assist, deflector, and port cover)

Lo-Pro Receiver (naked)

--LS
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
My vote is A3 as I like the brass deflector.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Where we stand:

So far we have had 26 respond that they are interested in 27 uppers. (one wants 2)

I have received confirmation and information from:

DaveS
brouhaha
Longshot_va
NoPlay
Walt2
Hawghunter
frisco
gunman0
SHIVAN
marvl
TomF

Total = 12

I am still waiting to hear from:

Skunkworks45
cnatra
fizassist
AR15forfun
Juggernaut
Firepower
Fluxion
Greywolf2112
Lawndart_78
bcw107
Balzac72

Total = 11

Also have heard from 4 lurkers, but I am still waiting to receive their information. Check to see where you are on the list and if I've forgotten you or have you listed wrong, please let me know. There are still slots available until I have everyone's confirmation!!!!

I may be off-line all weekend, so this will get picked up again Tuesday.

Have a great holiday everyone! AND GET ME YOUR INFORMATION / CONFIRMATION!
--LS
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't heard back from Teppo, I emailed them and asked how the best way to send them money would be.  Can we get a definitive, do this this and this to make the deposit.

Thanks,

Ed
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Longshot,
Confirmation sent.

I can't wait to go varminting with this thing....

Edited to say...

Thanks to Longshot for organizing this.  Thanks to Marty for putting up with us.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Get your confirmations in guyz.....don't make me order three (3).

Dave S
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Marty, do you have a load for a 350gr Barnes X?? I have the spreadsheet you sent me about a year ago but the local gunstore just recieved some 350 grainers so I will probably try those.

Link Posted: 8/30/2002 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#9]
RE: "- your choice of A2 FS, lo profile or 4 rail gas block"

What is the "lo profile" option?
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Holding strong at 13 confirmations.

Waiting to hear back from 12.

Gotta run, will try to check back over the weekend.

--LS
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Marvl,

See photos above. A2 and LoPro are the upper receiver type.

4 rail refers to the gas block up front (usually integrated into the front sight)

like this:

it replaces this:

--LS
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Marvl,
Low profile refers to the DPMS gas block on the first upper on this page:

http://www.teppojutsu.com/toppage1.htm

Neat lookin, but no attachment options.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#13]

^ This one looks so sweet I almost cra--ed my pants!!

-LS
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Those uppers almost appear normal.  I'm looking forward to shooting at my normal ranges when somone else is there with an AR.  With the brass catcher on they won't see the empties.  Fire off a few.  Act innocent and ignore the stares.  Offer another AR shooter a handfull of factory .223 and tell him they're the reloads you're shooting now.  Watch for reaction.  Do I qualify for evil?
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh why did I have to read this thread... Now I want one...

As to all these people asking questions - Its all there, just read the Entire thread and the links provided. Do your homework, don't be begging for the answers.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in I'm in, I sent my info to Martin. Can we see some Pics of exactly what were gettin. Firepower
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
As to all these people asking questions - Its all there, just read the Entire thread and the links provided. Do your homework, don't be begging for the answers.

There's one in every thread.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#18]
You know Marvl...I said the same thing, I even IM'ed him.  Don't you just feel like sticking a hot cattle poker on them sometimes....

I still haven't heard back from Marty. Has anyone else paid the deposit yet?

Ed
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#19]
O crap Mrs. Tiredtoolman just found out. She predicts a long cold weekend.

She walked in and said why are you sending him our address and so on???

Link Posted: 8/30/2002 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry about the absence, had to do the family thing (keep the Mrs happy, feed the beasts, play with the baby, things like that).  Before I start answering individual questions, I would like to maybe clarify one or two things (and answer a question or two in the process)

The trick to making any GP work for all involved is deciding on a standard and sticking with it.  While we delight in building custom uppers (we'll show BrouHaHa a few we have in the shop right now), for this GP we can't satisfy every request.  This is meant as a GP for AR15.com friends, not a "huge one time discount for a custom upper".  Thus, we need to be reasonably firm and draw the line at some point.  The configuration decided upon will have ONLY TWO options, that of the style of gas block (low profile as shown on the base model, A2 front sight or 4 rail) and whether the barrel is threaded or not.  Other than that, it remains as is.  Other configurations we can build, but not part of this GP.  By sticking with the standard we can get the discounts needed to drop the price.  I hope that sounds fair to all involved.

Now, to other questions:

Deposits and refunds - Deposits preferably by Money Order or PayPal (latter add 3%).  We need the magic 20 to make it work (if we are close, we may close the gap ourselves if needed).  If for some reason we cannot get the 20, we will refund all deposits no questions asked.  Once the deposit deadline has passed, order for the barrels/receivers will go out and deposits become non-refundable.  Address for mailing on our website, PayPal account [email protected] .

Receiver - to help clarify - the LoPro can accept the carry handle just like the A3, just the walls are thicker and it has no dust cover and F/A.  Thus far, we seem 50/50 split, but we need a final decision as to which one.  If y'all remain split, fine, we'll suck it up and work in both, but the idea was to make it a standard config....

A longer barrel - sorry, but 16" is all you get for the GP.  Longer barrels have to be made from 28" blanks and this kills the discount.  Besides, in this case 2" doesn't help velocity enough (8" only got us 200 fps more)

Muzzle brake - not part of the GP, we will thread the barrel, but too much logistics on pre/post ban and who wants what to deal with installing the brakes.  The Shrewd brake is 1.00" diameter but can be turned down to 0.93" no problem.  It can be seen in the picture (BaseA2Shrewd) on our website and bought from Brownells.

BrouHaHa - will contact you off line to get you to the shop - this weekend OK?  Hope you like BIG dogs ...

Magazines - as long as we do our part, magazines should not require modification.  A GI 20 holds 7, a GI 30 holds 10.  Folks in CA or other restrictive states - please don't ask us to ship you a "458 SOCOM 10 Round" as we don't have anything but standard 30 rd GI, and last I checked, we can't ship those to those states.  Recall the "Be reasonable" request in the start of this thread.

Tube removal and SIR mounting - the gas blocks mount with set screws, we typically use Torx Plus IP10.  Remove the gas block and you can remove the FF tube.  Bear in mind we use blue LocTite in places to keep things stuck  The SIR uses the standard barrel nut as part of the mounting system.  As the FF tube has a different barrel nut, the SIR cannot be mounted to this.  If you wanted an SIR, you'd have to disassmble, install a standard GI barrel nut and then install the SIR.  We do have one in the shop like that ....

A2 stock and buffer works fine, we have been suggesting the Wolff XHD spring just because some folks have worn out springs and could use a new one

Optics - I have been using an IOR 6x42 scope with minor problems - I broke one when shooting full power 500 gr loads.  With the 300 gr optics hold up fine, as this is comparable to firing a 308 ...  Several folks are using ACOGs with no problem

Threading the barrel does not appear to detract from accuracy (why should it?)

HighlandMac - will send data seperate for the 350 gr Barnes X.  Looks like ~1700 fps from a 16" barrel.

Dies - no chance to contact CH Tool and Die yet on a GP.

Brass - no word from CorBon yet on the brass.  Price should be $0.40 each or $400 per 1000.  Discounts probably not available.

Hope this satisfies most all of you, if not, let us know

Marty ter Weeme
Teppo Jutsu LLC
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Holding strong at 13 confirmations.

Waiting to hear back from 12.

I'm in!  What's the deadline for getting the deposit in ?  9/20 ??

I definitely want the quad-rail gas block & no threading for the barrel.  I'm on the fence on the upper.  Would the brass deflector or F/A be missed on this upper or is it unnecessary?
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 3:45:14 AM EDT
[#22]
How much of a deposit is needed? Lets get this thing fired up. Approximatly how long before they will be sent out. As soon as this puppy goes into production,I'm ordering some ammo. Just were do I order Ammo anyway? T
Thanks,Firepower  I see the ammo on Corbons website.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:28:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I can't help but put my .02 on this thread.....I would suggest that you all go with the Lo Pro, simply because this will allow Marty to cut the ejection port up high enough to allow good, clean ejection of the spent case.  If you go with an A3, and expect the door cover to still work, the expended case is just skimming across the top edge of the port and may hang up in some instances.  If you bring the port high enough to allow clear ejection on the A3, the door is not going to work, but you'll still have the two hinge bosses hanging off the receiver.  To me, that looks cheesy on an otherwise nice custom upper.

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:45:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Tony:

Any news on the last batch of Tromix Lowers.  I'm waiting on deliver of two.

Jerry
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 6:39:04 AM EDT
[#25]
MartyW,

Thanks for the info.  Couple more questions:

(1) email address for making a PayPal payment of the deposit (50 percent of $675, correct?).

(2) To whom do we communicate our choice of options?

Thanks,

Marvl
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I can't help but put my .02 on this thread.....I would suggest that you all go with the Lo Pro, simply because this will allow Marty to cut the ejection port up high enough to allow good, clean ejection of the spent case.  If you go with an A3, and expect the door cover to still work, the expended case is just skimming across the top edge of the port and may hang up in some instances.  If you bring the port high enough to allow clear ejection on the A3, the door is not going to work, but you'll still have the two hinge bosses hanging off the receiver.  To me, that looks cheesy on an otherwise nice custom upper.

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp

This makes good sense.  I vote for the Lo Pro.  What do you say, guys?
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp

This makes good sense.  I vote for the Lo Pro.  What do you say, guys?

OK, I'm convinced.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Lo Pro and 4 rail gas block is just fine. You can get an carry handle and fold up front sights later if ya want.

Think I'll go red dot.    ??? yep
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Lo Pro, 4 Rail and Threaded barrel are my choices.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Ditto that.  Keep it easy.

Frisco
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Lo Pro
4 rail
No threads for me...
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I will be visiting Marty's shop tomorrow afternoon to check out what we will be getting.  Will post back afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm in for one if they're still available.
Lo-Pro
Threaded Bbl.

Ive been saving up for one, but this is too good to pass up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm in.  IM email sent to Longshot_va.  I'm about to email Marty.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Anyone think a red dot type optic will hold up?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Lo-pro, 3 rail, no threads......  I bet an Aimpoint would hold pretty well.  Maybe an EOTech too.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2002 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Anyone think a red dot type optic will hold up?  

www.eotech-inc.com/
www.aimpoint.com/

Yeppper! It's what I'm doing.....and I'm going after Russian Boar.

Dave S

BTW,  Marty!!!!!!!!Please feel free to correct me before I go into the woods.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#38]
OK, I'll change my mind based on Tony's comments...

Lo-Pro
4Rail
No threads.

Ed
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Just bought a junk Subaru wagon to shoot up, I can't wait!
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#40]
ITEM 1 - marvl selects Lo Pro, 4 rail, no threads.

ITEM 2 - we need an email address for submitting PayPal payments.  I believed you mentioned adding 3 percent for this payment option as well.

ITEM 3 - we also need a name and address for submission of a postal money order if that's how we wish to pay.

ITEM 4 - and of course, we need the deadlines.  Have they been firmly established?

I'm at home drooling over this, guys, hopefully I won't croak from dehydration.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#41]
What type of Lower would best be used with this upper? Will the recoil destroy a Cav Arms Plastic Lower?
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Brouhaha must of brout a lot of beer to Marty's hose. We are still waitin for the info!
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Sorry, I was out all day after I went over there.

In a nutshell, everything looks incredible.  I got to see several examples of his work, and all of them look awesome!  Very high quality, and very much worth the price we are going to be paying, and certainly worth his normal asking price.

I got to see an example of the configuration we would be looking at, and I have to say I'm excited about this.  I also got to see examples of "other" ammo projects he's working on, and many of them are VERY interesting.  I can't wait to see how they progress.

So, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me.  But, don't worry about the quality of the product you're gonna get with your money.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#44]
longshot_va

If there is room for one more, I would like to get one in pre-ban configuration (16" threaded Stainless Barrel, D.P.M.S. Lo-Pro Upper, 4 rail Gas Block with bolt and carrier).

I've emailed you in regards to deposit, remainder due, etc.

Thanks,

jlbell
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
longshot_va

If there is room for one more, I would like to get one in pre-ban configuration (16" threaded Stainless Barrel, D.P.M.S. Lo-Pro Upper, 4 rail Gas Block with bolt and carrier).

I've emailed you in regards to deposit, remainder due, etc.

Thanks,

jlbell

20 was the minimum to make this work.  

Like Arlo Guthrie said..........We could make this a movement.  da-da-damn I'm glad that I have so much company on the Group W Bench.

Dave S
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 6:55:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Being that this is my 458th post I think I should get one for free. Because it's like a miracle, or something...
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#47]
DaveS

Glad to be involved in this.

This will be my third .458 SOCOM Upper.  I have one of Tony's original .458 SOCOM's with SDS Suppressor, and I bought one of Marty's for a friend and now (at this price), I have someone else who wants one.  

It is truly a hard hitting, awesome weapon.  A lot of fun to shoot after you get used to the checkerboard pattern on your shoulder from the metal plate on the butt stock.

Someone just tell me where to send the check.

Thanks,

Jerry
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 6:30:24 AM EDT
[#48]
I've gone back to CORBON site to check ballistic tables for the different 458 rounds. All there is 300gr?

I'm sure I saw 5 or 6 different weights. I've rechecked the thread for all links can't find it. Unless CORBON only show what they have in stock???  
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I've gone back to CORBON site to check ballistic tables for the different 458 rounds. All there is 300gr?

I'm sure I saw 5 or 6 different weights. I've rechecked the thread for all links can't find it. Unless CORBON only show what they have in stock???  

It's not the most popular round in the world.  Cor-Bon cannot produce multiple grain loads and have the money boxed up on the shelves and not receiving interest.  It really is amazing that they even produce the 300gr RemHP load.  

Now, if we all can get more people on the Group W Bench.......

Dave S
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 7:48:07 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
DaveS

Glad to be involved in this.

This will be my third .458 SOCOM Upper.  I have one of Tony's original .458 SOCOM's with SDS Suppressor, and I bought one of Marty's for a friend and now (at this price), I have someone else who wants one.  

It is truly a hard hitting, awesome weapon.  A lot of fun to shoot after you get used to the checkerboard pattern on your shoulder from the metal plate on the butt stock.
Someone just tell me where to send the check.
Thanks,
Jerry

So what kind of optics or sightd do you recommend ??   Will a Aimpoint take the abuse ???
Page / 13
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top