Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2018 8:22:48 PM EDT
Im looking for the above.  I have settled on S&B for sub ammo.  Love the new Aussie for super target but what is a good defense .300 BLK round?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Black tips- Barnes 110gr or 120gr VOR-TX
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Black tips- Barnes 110gr or 120gr VOR-TX
View Quote
And fpni, /thread.

Barnes 110gr TAC-TX.

I wonder how many times we'll answer this before people learn Google exists?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#3]
While I love the Barnes 110g tac-tx and the Lehigh 115g Controled Chaos (both are devastating and expand down below 1400fps) I'm starting to lean towards the 110g Vmax/Varmageddon bullets for HD/shtf stocking up.

At 300 velocities, the vmax rounds get you a huge slug that penetrates 12-14" in gel with plenty of fragmentation along the way. Usually about .30-.40 cents cheaper for factory rounds than the barnes/lehigh too.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I sent Andrew a box of the 110g Noslers to test:

Would You Trust This Varmint Ammo For Defense? Nosler .300 AAC 110gr Varmaggedon Gel Test
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm using Fiocchi 125 with the SST bullet. It's very accurate in my gun and seems to perform very well in the jell tests. I think it penetrates past 12" more consistently than the 110gr V.

The 110 Barnes loads are too expensive for me right now.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I was hoping for something less money than Barnes.  I have 2 more two try out now.  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was hoping for something less money than Barnes.  I have 2 more two try out now.  Thanks
View Quote
Don't expect to find the Nosler brand Varmageddon much cheaper than the Barnes. I just happened to luck out and score 400 rounds last black friday for $200.
But there are plenty of reputable companies that load their own varmageddon using the Nosler bullet for a lot less. You can also typically find Hornady V-max for around $18.00 or less for a box of 20.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I tried to find v max and they are sold out.  I picked up fiochhi 125 sst for $16 a box of 25.  I like that price.  Ill try them out accuracy wise and on some water jugs at 100 yrds and see whats up.  Ill try and get some 110 but they seem hard to find or you have to buy the projectiles and reload.  I bought a box of hornady sub x to try out anybody have any input?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I tried to find v max and they are sold out.  I picked up fiochhi 125 sst for $16 a box of 25.  I like that price.  Ill try them out accuracy wise and on some water jugs at 100 yrds and see whats up.  Ill try and get some 110 but they seem hard to find or you have to buy the projectiles and reload.  I bought a box of hornady sub x to try out anybody have any input?
View Quote
Everything I've seen about the SST is that it's a great round, but I'm not familiar with how low the expansion threshold is. I've got a few boxes and have been meaning to do some backyard testing myself.

Here are some nice 110g varmageddon loads.

Also some Vmax.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Fiocchi 125 SST

I think I picked up my cases at .62/round.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA0ehEaIEqg
View Quote
The Gorilla ammo loading of this bullet is what I personally use in my HD 300BLK rifles.

I've tested it in a bunch of 300BLK uppers and it performs well across the board.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Gorilla ammo loading of this bullet is what I personally use in my HD 300BLK rifles.

I've tested it in a bunch of 300BLK uppers and it performs well across the board.
View Quote
You may not be able to plug your own channel here, but I can.

Gorilla Ammunition 300 Blackout 110gr Nosler Varmageddon Ballistics Gel Test
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:06:17 AM EDT
[#13]
How bad are the ADI 125gr and 144gr loads as far as a defensive round?

Which would be the better of the two?
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:23:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How bad are the ADI 125gr and 144gr loads as far as a defensive round?

Which would be the better of the two?
View Quote
Just a guess, but I would think that the open tip of the 125g would aid with tumbling/yaw earlier and more consistently than the fmj of the 144g would.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just a guess, but I would think that the open tip of the 125g would aid with tumbling/yaw earlier and more consistently than the fmj of the 144g would.
View Quote
Hopefully, someone will shoot some into jell soon. But, even according to the seller, the 125 Sierra bullet was not designed to frag or have any terminal affects in the 300BO loads. Strictly designed for max accuracy. I'm sure at .308 velocities it would be explosive. But for the 300, the best we could expect is an early yaw and tumble. Which is what the 7.62X39 does and no one complains about it being a poor "stopper".

I'm eagerly waiting for some steel cased 300 from Wolf with a decent 125gr copper jacketed soft point bullet.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#16]
You might want to look at this
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Hopefully, someone will shoot some into jell soon. But, even according to the seller, the 125 Sierra bullet was not designed to frag or have any terminal affects in the 300BO loads. Strictly designed for max accuracy. I'm sure at .308 velocities it would be explosive. But for the 300, the best we could expect is an early yaw and tumble. Which is what the 7.62X39 does and no one complains about it being a poor "stopper".

I'm eagerly waiting for some steel cased 300 from Wolf with a decent 125gr copper jacketed soft point bullet.
View Quote
This should be a pretty good comparison:

Here's Why 5.56mm Is Better Than .300 AAC: Sig Sauer 125gr OTM Gel Test ***DEMONETIZED***

And yes, I've been waiting patiently for Wolf/Tula to get into the 300blk market.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ive seen those and a couple others but the price makes them unrealistic.  I want a round that I can stockpile and will shoot thru all my guns.  I recieved the fiocchi rounds today and will test them this weekend.  Whats the best thing to shoot them in to see how they expand?  water jugs?  Pumpkin?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ive seen those and a couple others but the price makes them unrealistic.  I want a round that I can stockpile and will shoot thru all my guns.  I recieved the fiocchi rounds today and will test them this weekend.  Whats the best thing to shoot them in to see how they expand?  water jugs?  Pumpkin?
View Quote
I always use 3 water jugs in a row with a full pack of print paper behind them.

I've recovered everything including the 195G Maximum Expansion, 110G Barnes Tac-Tx, Lehigh 115G Controlled Chaos, and many others using this set up. Even some 9mm HST's and .223 Gold Dots too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In your OP you said you were looking for PD ammo.

If what's in my link performs as advertised, I doubt you'll find anything better.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If what's in my link performs as advertised, I doubt you'll find anything better.
View Quote
From my experience, those 194g do work as advertised and I would agree that you're not going to find a better performing subsonic round.

That said, expanding/fragmenting supers are far better for self defense.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Maybe check out Discrete Ballistics?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:09:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
From my experience, those 194g do work as advertised and I would agree that you're not going to find a better performing subsonic round.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being new to the caliber myself, I came upon that load while researching ammo options for my 8.5". I've been watching around here for threads on the subject and combing them for info myself.

And while pricey, for close in work (like in the room), I was thinking something like that might go a long way toward alleviating overpenetration issues.

Can you make any recommendations on some good supers for plinking and threats further out?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA0ehEaIEqg

Probably a good choice for in the home defense.  I wish the expansion threshold was a bit lower.  Per Nosler they say that 1700fps "would be the minimum velocity required for good expansion for the .308 110gr. Varmageddon bullet".

That's one of the big advantages in my mind for the Barnes 110gr.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Probably a good choice for in the home defense.  I wish the expansion threshold was a bit lower.  Per Nosler they say that 1700fps "would be the minimum velocity required for good expansion for the .308 110gr. Varmageddon bullet".

View Quote
Are you sure thats not the ballistic tip? Nosler rep told me that the black tip varmageddons expand down to 1600 reliably and the ballistic tip was geared more for higher velocities.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Are you sure thats not the ballistic tip? Nosler rep told me that the black tip varmageddons expand down to 1600 reliably and the ballistic tip was geared more for higher velocities.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, it was the Varmageddon round.  It was back in 2015 that they answered a question regarding the bullet, as I was considering it for a HD use in my .300blk carbine.  I've gone back and checked the email.  
XXXXX,

I would say 1700fps would be the minimum velocity required for good expansion for the .308 110gr. Varmageddon bullet. Concerning self defense, it is unlikely that the 110gr. Varmageddon would meet the FBI testing protocol requirements. I would say that the 125gr. Ballistic Tip load very well could, but am not sure, as I do not believe we have submitted it for FBI testing.
Best regards,
Nosler Inc.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Nope, it was the Varmageddon round.  It was back in 2015 that they answered a question regarding the bullet, as I was considering it for a HD use in my .300blk carbine.  I've gone back and checked the email.
View Quote
Interesting.

Not saying that is not accurate, and I'm far from an expert on this, but the gel test that Mrgunsngear did with the Gorilla load showed a pretty short neck with huge expansion/fragmentation for moving only 150fps (1856fps) over the expansion threshold.

Either way, I get around 1970fps out of my 8" with the factory Nosler load and a little more from the Reaper loaded varmageddon, so even if 1700 is the bottom Im comfortable with that for HD.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Interesting.

Not saying that is not accurate, and I'm far from an expert on this, but the gel test that Mrgunsngear did with the Gorilla load showed a pretty short neck with huge expansion/fragmentation for moving only 150fps (1856fps) over the expansion threshold.

Either way, I get around 1970fps out of my 8" with the factory Nosler load and a little more from the Reaper loaded varmageddon, so even if 1700 is the bottom Im comfortable with that for HD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.

That's actually why I went back and pulled up the email from 2015.  I was surprised at how well the Varmageddon did.  It's possible that Nosler never did any gel tests or identified the low end of the expansion threshold.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top