Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2020 8:43:23 AM EDT
I have an old .22lr conversion kit that was given to me as a gift a few years ago. I recently came across it in my safe and wanted to see if anybody on here had any knowledge about it. It is made exactly like a JAC kit , is in the same style brown plastic case, and is also called an " Atchisson " . It is marked Birmingham Ltd. and I have the kit and 3 extra matching marked magazines with it. When was this made and is there any value to it??
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#1]
That is probably an older Atchisson kit prior to Jonathan Arthur Ciener started selling the kit.  The overall appearance is a little different and the magazines are not interchangeable IIRC.  The early version mag had more of a 20 round AR-15 appearance compared to the JAC mag tube with welded mag adapter body.

The firing pins in the old Atchisson might be different than the JAC/CMMG pattern.  Posting picture will help because there were a few slight variations to the early Atchisson conversions prior to JAC.

As far as value, hard to say, limited collector value.  Proprietary mags and probably no extra parts might make it worth more to someone who already owns that particular conversion.    I personally wouldn’t be interested even though I have a JAC and an original Colt 22 conversion.  I think the current CMMG are a better design.  If I went to a garage sale and somebody had $15-$20 on the kit and mags I’d probably buy it.

If you already own one I see no reason not to use it as they can be pretty decent in 1:9 twist 5.56/223 barrels.  If you have a 1:7 twist barrel they are still good enough for shooting steel targets or plinking.   You generally get a lot of fliers so the consistency is just not there for shooting groups on paper targets.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks but the magazines do, in fact, have the welded adapter block on them and are exactly like the 30 round Ceiner mags. The kit and mags are in new condition so I'm hoping that they are worth more than $15-$20
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#3]
This is likely a later production Atchisson kit.   If I remember correctly the Actchisson kit was manufactured first by M.A.C. (Military Armament Corp.).   Production was later done by Birmingham or existing stock was purchased by Birmingham and sold under their name along with any new production.  After the patent expired JAC started producing the Atchisson designed conversion.  Early on JAC sold other products including suppressors.

If this is a late production Atchisson kit it might have interchangeable parts with the Ciener and CMMG conversion kits.  This would increase the value to me.   The 30 round magazines might bring a prememium price in some ban states as these would been manufactured in the 70's to early 80's.   The AWB was in 1994 so magazine manufactured prior to 1994 retain extra value in some jurisdictions.

Posting pictures would help determine the age.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Without seeing any pics. I would think upwards of a 100.00 anyway. 20 Bucks is not going to get you anything much these days.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Would love to show you guys some pics but ain't computer literate enough to figure out how!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ll PM you with my email.  Send them to me and I’ll post them using my free Flikr account.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I sent the pics to your email address, thank you. My magazines may not be original to the kit as I noticed that they are all marked with W.A.K. Inc. Dayton, Ohio and the kit is marked with Birmingham Ltd. Atlanta, GA. I was told that they were original to the kit but just don't know. Maybe you guys can shed a little light on it for me..
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Here are your pictures sgtmac.

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I rotated this picture to make it easier to read.

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I appreciate your help
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#11]
No, problem, I hope you get some more info.

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Geez ! I just noticed that it's Bingham, not Birmingham!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one of these kits from the early 80's. It functions perfectly, full or semi auto but it isn't the most accurate. I tried to put a new dedicated barrel and collar on it but the firing pin is a totally different design and it dented the chamber. Use it and enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe I am not following along attentively, but have you determined the maker? I kinda wander now if it was not made in the Philippines by Squires Bingham? Maybe most likely.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

FYI, this is the auto sear trip and anti bounce weight for full auto use.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I too am curious what the kit is worth as I have one that I bought new in the 90's which is still unfired.

As I recall, it too is in a brown plastic case with 1 magazine and I bought 2 additional at the time.  My magazines look like those with the blocks attached to them.

I don't know what markings are on it but I can dig it out to see, but as I recall, I ordered it directly from Ceiner.

Note: It was intended for my M16 so I'd expect that I got the sear trip as well but I don't recall and will have to look in the box.  I never used it since I ended up getting a CMMG dedicated upper instead.

Don't mean to thread jack but all threads can be made better with chicks shooting full auto so here is my wife shooting 50 rounds of .22lr in a Black Dog drum through the CMMG upper.

Full auto M16 with . 22lr conversion

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top