Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2022 12:28:16 PM EDT
Just noticed these the other day while exploring 22 LR uppers.  I have a couple of other .22 WMR rifles and a revolver and think this could be a fun addition for a range blaster.

I watched some BCA youtube videos about the features but wondering if anyone has one or had a chance to shoot one yet?

BCA .22 WMR Upper Link

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Subscribed. A buddy is very interested in one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I understand that you have other 22 mag guns but I don't think blasting with 22 mag would be much fun at the price of the ammo.

Seems it would be cool at first but then a 22 lr would be more practical and it would just sit in the safe.

Suppressed on the other hand would make it a fun nutria gun or prairie dog gun.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If it runs w/ 30 grains, that's 2200 fps out of a 16" bbl.  Not too far off .17 HMR.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I understand that you have other 22 mag guns but I don't think blasting with 22 mag would be much fun at the price of the ammo.

Seems it would be cool at first but then a 22 lr would be more practical and it would just sit in the safe.

View Quote

I have a good amount of 22WMR stocked up so I'm good there.  I have several dozen other .22's and .17HMR's so being practical is already taken care of in spades

Suppressed might be fun but I haven't gotten into that yet.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just took my 10/22 mag out rat shooting and it was awesome!!! (Just like every time.)
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have a good amount of 22WMR stocked up so I'm good there.  I have several dozen other .22's and .17HMR's so being practical is already taken care of in spades

Suppressed might be fun but I haven't gotten into that yet.
View Quote

22LR is better for that
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I would go for TACCOM long before I’d touch anything from BCA:

TACCOM .22Mag
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I would just spend that money on a Keltec CMR-30.

I have one and it's freaking awesome.

Or a bolt gun.

I just don't see the appeal of a .22 WMR AR.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Looked pretty closely at these a while back, went with the CMR 30 instead.

Two reasons mainly.  Dang thing weighs too much with the heavy barrel profile, (more than the complete CMR 30) and it's limited to 10 rd magazines.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

TACCOM .22Mag
View Quote

The Taccom looks nice but a bit more than I'm willing to spend on a play gun.   I also noticed the Keltec in my previous searches and while I'm sure it's a fine gun, it's just not a style that I'm interested in.

I ended up ordering the BCA Upper.  I have enough spare parts to put together a lower together for it.

The 10 round mag isn't great, Black Dog does offer a 14 round, which still isn't very high capacity but since I'm shooting mostly off a bench rest it's not a big deal.

I have to admit I didn't look at the weight of the upper but again, since I shoot mostly off a bench I don't think it's critical.

Once I get it in I'll update the thread.

Thanks for everyone's comments
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

TACCOM .22Mag
View Quote

Be cool if it would work bufferless/no extension. This is how I’d build my Han Solo blaster over 22lr
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#12]
The kit arrived on Saturday.

I need to figure out what optic to put on this though.  I have a couple of Black Dog 14 round mags on the way as well.

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#13]
So I picked up the BCA 22mag upper and the bolt locks back without the catch catching anything. The only way it releases is when I split the upper and lower -- any ideas on why this may be?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Found the issue -- the bolt slides over and then locks on the hammer of my SSA-E on a sharp step on the bolt...?????

I think she's DOA since I'm not willing to swap triggers and I don't think another trigger would fare any better, but I'll try it on a lower with an MBT-2S in a bit as well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I did see this on the BCA page for the .22 Mag Upper - under the FAQ tab.

"Why is my BCG getting stuck to the rear on my .22 Magnum?"

A potential cause of the .22 Magnum getting stuck is the hammer, currently, the .22 Magnum does not work with a notched hammer and requires the hammer on the lower assembly to be a rounded hammer.

Not familiar with the hammer you mention but this could be the issue?
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm trying to imagine the meeting in which BCA discovers that its carrier doesn't work with a large percentage of triggers present in the lowers on which the product will be installed, and the solution is to add a FAQ rather than make the carrier compatible.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#17]
the trigger is a rather popular Geissele.  The LaRue MBT-2S locks up worse and required some creative fishing with a narrow screwdriver to get the upper and lower apart.  The bolt appears to be improperly designed and relies on the curvature of the mil-spec hammer to slide past, rather than building that curvature into the bolt.  

Who knows if such a meeting ever happened -- my theory is that they only tested it on one of their lowers with their mil-spec trigger in it and this incompatibly is just now coming to light with confused customers calling/reviewing/posting about it.  It acts just like LRBHO should, which makes it all the more confusing initially.  

Photos:

The sharp edge right to the left of the milled channels catches on the hammer and locks the action:

Look at the firing pin QC:  
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Operation at 960fps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtLYl3ge4AY
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 1:22:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:  Operation at 960fps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtLYl3ge4AY
View Quote

Bear Creek Arsenal 22 Magnum AR upper at 960fps
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a Ray Vin 22wmr..it looks somewhat similiar in design and uses the same black dog mags.

Trigger is Timney CE

The lrbho on the Ray Vin operates via the mag.

Ray Vin design.

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Hope he was able to sell his design when he retired.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I contacted him to ask to buy the design files/drawings/tooling to produce it after he retired, but I was too late.  Ray has passed on as of last Christmas from cancer...and all his drawings and such were already trashed by whoever was handling his estate.  

Terribly sad all around.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I contacted him to ask to buy the design files/drawings/tooling to produce it after he retired, but I was too late.  Ray has passed on as of last Christmas from cancer...and all his drawings and such were already trashed by whoever was handling his estate.  

Terribly sad all around.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Terribly sad all around.
View Quote
This is very sad news
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I finally had a chance to get out to the range with my 22 mag upper.  I got through ~ 70-80 rounds before I had a failure to extract the spent cartridge that stopped me.  I was unable to get the cartridge out with my finger or a spent piece of brass so it ended my range time with that gun.  I forgot my range bag with my tools at home, I was in a rush to get to the range before it closed.  It popped out easy enough with a cleaning rod once I got home.  I had the original factory mag and two Black Dog 14 round mags as well that seem to work well.

Once I got the red dot on target it appears to be a decently accurate gun. I really do need to put a variable scope on it though, the 2MOA dot covers a good bit of the rimfire target.

I will give it a through cleaning and inspection give it another go in a couple of weeks when I'll get to the range again. So far the jury is out on this upper IMO.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I finally got mine to shoot through a 10 round mag without a malfunction for the first time today.  I have a 1-6x scope on it and it's very fun to shoot when it does not malfunction.  If it breaks in well and starts shooting without a hiccup, I'll really like this upper.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I just learned about these a few days ago and was very interested for use as a small predator upper to be used in conjunction with a Clip-On NV scope but the rail does not have pic rail for the full length at the 12. I reached out the BCA to ask if I could purchase it but with another rail that had a full length pic rail on the top. I was told no that they were a high value manufacturer and could not do customer orders. I think the rep meant to say high volume, but in any event I will not buy it if I have to spend another $100 to get a rail with a full length pic rail at 12.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:51:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The kit arrived on Saturday.

https://i.imgur.com/3ty4iV4.jpg

I need to figure out what optic to put on this though.  I have a couple of Black Dog 14 round mags on the way as well.

https://i.imgur.com/nv6ZidG.jpg
View Quote

Looks good interested in range report.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I ran 150 rounds through it this afternoon and it ran flawlessly.  I was shooting CCI MaxiMags all day.  I was just shooting steel at 50 and 100 yards so I haven't shot it for groups yet but will the next time out.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#30]
I bought one when they first hit the market, installed it, ran a full mag through it (NY is limited to ten rounds) in the dead of Winter and had no issues, and off-hand the accuracy was good. I didn't bench it or shoot for groups, and the ammo was a mixture of loose remnants.  IF a rifle is going to give you issues, you can damn well bet they will when it's below freezing with three feet of snow on the ground.
I've had issues with BCA before, and others that were just fine, in fact I have bought their uppers just to use the side charging upper and Bolt. (built a .358 Winchester using a KAK Barrel, Gorilla adjustable gas block, and custom free-floating handguard) that shoots like a champ!
When you mass produce at an economy level you're bound to get a few lemons, but that doesn't mean they're all sour.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top