Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2022 9:13:05 AM EDT
Gave me an RMA, I sent it in last week, and then the post was quiety deleted....concerning!

REDACTED:

Hey all, first off, I'll def be calling/chatting with the PSA customer service peeps on Monday for a return ticket, but I wanted to post up the day old barrelled action 5.45 kit, my thoughts, and issues.

-fit and finish 9/10.
-Front handguard retainer is a bit thick at the lower rear hoop and it holds the HG up a lil bit. Real AK is quite thin there.
-second PSA, second very soft front lower hg retaining pin. Put hg on, tapped it in, and upon trying to flick it back up, it gets tight, and you end up working it back up and it shears part of itself off. Luckily, after that it stops having issues. Make this part FORGED, not cast/MIM.

-carrier bolt and rcvr fitment.....WOW smooth. Super smooth. Trigger pin holes nice and snug on the pins. Great.

-fsb: not visibly canted, within spec, was able to adjust.

-magwell....I used bugly new made mags, lilll loose on the front  area but locked in.

-folder mech: button worked, looks good for stocks if i sbr it, I like the correct gray button.

-function, ejection: 100%, shot all rnds, no weird brass marks or dents, ejected 3 I click from 6-10ish feet away. Super smooth as 5.45 always is.

-accuracy: using surplus Russian spam can corrosive and Tulammo: well, it was doing about 1.5" at 50yds as I began tuning in the sights, and then I noticed the big uh oh.....every single round was keyholing. I even tried 100yds and groups opened WAY up to about 2 FEET.

-i shot about 25 rnds and after they keyholing/unstability, I stopped. I came home and checked the trunion, bolt, crown and other areas. trunuon is fine. Carrier: one lil wear point in the groove. Bolt.......yikes, multiple rollover and deformed areas, looks like soft metal going on/heat treat issue.

This looks like it's gonna be a return for me. It looks quite nice, functions awesome, but looks like we have some design stuff left to go over.

Not here to bash, just give my findings. :)

ALSO:
Rc hardness of toolcraft bolt was 38
Rc hardness my 2001 SAR-1 was 45
(Checked at work, im a machinist). Saw online we need 40-45 on trunion and bolt, iirc 35-38 on carrier.

50yds: (Spam can, and sime old black box vintage wolf i had from my waffen works -74)

100yds:

100yds: still unstable.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Its their industry forum... they probably dont want your review and "return" posted on a forum they pay to promote.

If they are helping you with a warranty repair/replace then thats good, but I wouldn't expect for them to leave your post live for posterity.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#2]
How many rounds through the gun. The bolt wear doesn’t look too bad. I see zero wear on trunnion. The camming lug does have the most wear but I’ve seen that happen with combloc aks too. It usually stops after it gets fitted.

The only thing concerning I see so far is the slight tumbling of the rounds. Have you tried any other bullet weight to see if they do it too?

I’m not a PSA fan boy by no means but I’m trying to get info because I’m eyeing a few of their AK’s.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many rounds through the gun. The bolt wear doesn't look too bad. I see zero wear on trunnion. The camming lug does have the most wear but I've seen that happen with combloc aks too. It usually stops after it gets fitted.

The only thing concerning I see so far is the slight tumbling of the rounds. Have you tried any other bullet weight to see if they do it too?

I'm not a PSA fan boy by no means but I'm trying to get info because I'm eyeing a few of their AK's.
View Quote

Approx 25 rnds through it. What you count on the paper and maybe 5 that i tested cycling off paper. At most. The carrier i agree thats a wear area in the cam. Trunuon i also agree seems perfect. Happy with the trunion.

There isnt really any other ammo to try....if a 5.45 AK cannot shoot wolf or spam can, its useless to me. My waffen werks -74 with a USA barrel in it was amazing.

My issue with the delete is no closure, just removal and poof its gone. They made it.....own it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Once PSA considers your issue "resolved", the post is deleted. You may also post a review, with images, at their website.
Sample image from their customer gallery.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Once PSA considers your issue "resolved", the post is deleted. You may also post a review, with images, at their website.
Sample image from their customer gallery.

https://i.imgur.com/anXaxKp.jpg up
View Quote

. Buddys 10.5 had a bad chamber. Could see it in the brass. How are these things missed?!

If sending it back = resolved, then I want a refund LOL. i imagine after a few returns that ill eventually get a refund, same as the AK-V. If they can get a harder bolt in there and make a barrel that stabilizes ammo it should be designed for, ill keep it. Sadly, there are some others teporting same issue i have. IMHO it needs a 1/7 not a 1/8 in the 12.5"

ETA: checked my emails, July 21 it was recieved, diag in process, via John. Ill keep it updated.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#6]
OT REPLY.

With a username like HaveBlue83, you must have some connection with the Wobblin Goblin?
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OT REPLY.

With a username like HaveBlue83, you must have some connection with the Wobblin Goblin?
View Quote

Just a low observable boy and his thoughts.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#8]
That is a really well done write up.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That is a really well done write up.
View Quote
Thx man! I try to be thorough. Ive repaired a lotttttt of weapons systems in my day :)

UPDATE: PSA is issuing me a refund. I wont have any more testing to do. Yall have a good one.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top