Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/5/2024 10:10:07 PM EDT
I bought it from a site vendor years ago and it arrived with cracked stock in the grip area. Seller would do nothing
about but give me an unknown discount on future purchase. I have ALS and have been slowly giving my guns to my
children. I have looked for Chinese stock with no luck. Would a Russian stock for blade bayonet fit it? It numbers matching
with good metal and perfect bore. I want to pass it on with good stock.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#1]
That appears to be a so-called “Sino–Soviet” rifle, either made in Russia and stamped “Factory 26,” or made in China as early production on Russian tooling and/or with Russian advisors.

What is the date on the top rear cover, if any?

A Russian blade bayonet stock would likely fit.

Is that stock numbers matching to the rifle? If so, perhaps have it repaired if possible.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Armas_Paraque:
That appears to be a so-called “Sino–Soviet” rifle, either made in Russia and stamped “Factory 26,” or made in China as early production on Russian tooling and/or with Russian advisors.

Is that stock numbers matching to the rifle? If so, perhaps have it repaired if possible.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply
No date on top cover, the number on stock matches. I would tell them to keep stock but it is very beat up.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Banditman:

Thanks for the reply
No date on top cover, the number on stock matches. I would tell them to keep stock but it is very beat up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Banditman:
Originally Posted By Armas_Paraque:

Thanks for the reply

As a collectors item, I would keep the stock.. at worst, get someone good with rifle stocks to "repair" it, and keep it original. Its a nice piece!
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 12:40:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Armas_Paraque] [#4]
Agree. You may want to take the stock off and put it in a black plastic trash bag and set it in a vehicle.

Field strip the gas tube assembly, and leave the top hand guard on the gas tube.

Put that assembly into another plastic bag for the same treatment.

The heat will cause the Cosmoline to melt out of the stock and handguard, allowing you to wipe it off easily with no chemicals.

Do this over the course of several days, occasionally removing, wiping off, and repeating.

This will improve the appearance a lot. Dents in the stock could then be steamed, using a wet paper towel and an iron, to lift them. Sand (if at all) minimally. Don’t go ham.

Wipe off one or two more times with mineral spirits. Once the stock is clean, you will have a better idea of the crack.

The cracked stock wrist could then be pried open and epoxied, and clamped together while drying for a seamless repair; and/or pinned with a brass pin.

Coat with boiled linseed oil, and repeat till you have the desired finish.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice Russian carbine. As far as I know, the Chinese, or more than likely the Russians scrubbed the receiver covers. Sometimes, you can disassemble them and find proof marks to tell which Russian armory made it. A Russian stock is what I would put on it, if I were want to replace it, however you may want to simply repair and clean it up as you say it matches. I’m curious if it is import marked somewhere. Sometimes the markings are small, lightly struck on the barrel.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top