BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2018 2:36:33 PM EDT
Did anybody pick one up? I managed to get one of the 249 rifles and am wondering what to expect.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#1]
To me, the main benefit of DDI rifles was the "fenocite" treatment to prevent corrosion.  Most of those they pictured in the preview email that looked at least halfway assembled were rusty and apparently untreated.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To me, the main benefit of DDI rifles was the "fenocite" treatment to prevent corrosion.  Most of those they pictured in the preview email that looked at least halfway assembled were rusty and apparently untreated.
View Quote
I'm not really concerned with the finish. I'm wondering about the build quality. I've heard mixed things about the DDI builds. I'm also curious as to what the country of origin the kits are
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm wondering about the build quality.
View Quote
I'm assuming that these were part of the DDI parts buyout that Centerfire recently advertised and a lot of those parts had "Bad" written on them. So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that these are reject guns. But I don't have any first hand knowledge if that's true, so take it for what it's worth (which isn't much).
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I figured there was some sort of catch given the price of these things and the way they were unfinished. I was basically wanting a beater ak for my truck and side by side. I'll be sure to post up some pics and let y'all know what kind of mess it is after it arrives.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't waste my money or time on these. I'd bet they're out of spec junk. For the price there has to be something wrong with them. Besides DDI screwed the AK community and employees.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea I'm figuring this out after the fact. I was looking for a beater and looks like I'm getting one lol. I've got a saiga but since the prices have skyrocketed I feel bad about beating it up
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yea I'm figuring this out after the fact. I was looking for a beater and looks like I'm getting one lol. I've got a saiga but since the prices have skyrocketed I feel bad about beating it up
View Quote
Fortunately, we should be able to collectively figure out any issues that it may have. The only issue would be the cost to fix them depending on what the actual issue is. Drop me a line if you need help with anything and we'll see what we can come up with if needed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fortunately, we should be able to collectively figure out any issues that it may have. The only issue would be the cost to fix them depending on what the actual issue is. Drop me a line if you need help with anything and we'll see what we can come up with if needed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks I appreciate it. I in theory have enough parts on hand to get it running. From what I've read the extractors are junk so I'm gonna pick up one. Itll be next week before I pick it up the way my work schedule is looking.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did anybody pick one up? I managed to get one of the 249 rifles and am wondering what to expect.
View Quote
We'll be in the same boat this afternoon!

I'm thinking of it as more "parts kit" less "gun I need to add parts to" but I'll do a quick headspace check and go from there. :)
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Y'all are acting like they had bolts.  The ones I saw didn't even have carriers.  Just looked like barreled receivers.  Were some of them complete (ish)?
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Y'all are acting like they had bolts.  The ones I saw didn't even have carriers.  Just looked like barreled receivers.  Were some of them complete (ish)?
View Quote
Mine has:

Barreled receiver - both trunnions, barrel, sight block, gas block, sight mount
Complete bolt & carrier
Hammer

No trigger or disconnector, no gas tube, no dust cover, no mainspring, no muzzle device.

If I can get it running it'll definitely be worth the $225 shipped.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mine has:

Complete bolt & carrier
Hammer

No trigger or disconnector, no gas tube, no dust cover, no mainspring, no muzzle device.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine has:

Complete bolt & carrier
Hammer

I'm glad I'm not the only sucker around! I kid, how's yours looking, mine hasn't even shipped yet
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mine is supposed to be missing handguards,fcg and a buttstock. You must not have looked past the first page
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm glad I'm not the only sucker around! I kid, how's yours looking, mine hasn't even shipped yet
View Quote
Not bad actually. My rhodie FAL kit was in way worse shape, rustwise. Just a little surface rust, and no finish.

The extractor definitely seems proud, might need to be replaced.

It'll be an adventure for sure!
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I definitely need some axis pins though. Rest of the parts are on their way.

Also not surprising, my whoknowswhere metal mag wont lock in.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 5:12:59 AM EDT
[#16]
From my understanding the extractors are prone to breaking. Why won't the mag lock in? The mag catch too tall?
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
From my understanding the extractors are prone to breaking. Why won't the mag lock in? The mag catch too tall?
View Quote
The extractor thing is the only consistent problem people seemed to have, from what I could find on here or the files.

I know folks have strong opinions about how the company did their business but they're gone now, I'm just sifting through the bones, ya know?

And yeah, the mag catch is too tall, not really surprising.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#18]
took some pictures, lighting sucks in my basement:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I was kind of hoping I would be able to pull a string on the trigger for this guy this weekend, but having only one axis pin is definitely going to grind that to a halt. Gonna try to order one today, as I have an ALG trigger, and a recoil assembly in a box on it's way to me.

If I get some quiet time today, I'm gonna take a scotchbrite pad and see if I can card some of this rust off...
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm hoping to have mine Friday. Ill post up a few pics when I get it. Hopefully Sunday I'll be able to try it out, the only part I don't have laying around is handguards so if it headspaces good and passes the vise and string test, welding gloves it is.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm hoping to have mine Friday. Ill post up a few pics when I get it. Hopefully Sunday I'll be able to try it out, the only part I don't have laying around is handguards so if it headspaces good and passes the vise and string test, welding gloves it is.
View Quote
awesome.

OP, I'm not tryna hijack your thread, so if it feels that way, tell me to F off.

Some parts came today. Gas tube (romanian) fit just fine, no drama. My Gibbs mag actually did lock in after I remembered that this was an AK and the little  might like to be handled a little roughly. So I rocked the mag with authority and it locked in no sweat. The poly polish mags that came today, however, required a LOT of force to lock in, so between the two I may fit the mag catch just a hair.

I also soaked the whole thing in CLP "long term storage" juice and let it sit for a bit. The scotchbrite pad took the rust off no problem, but what finish was on there it took with it. I've got a sandblaster so after the thing gets smoke tested I'll probably strip it back down, sandblast it, and then... ??cerakote?? ??parkerize?? ??rattlecan?? it. Investigations are ongoing. I park'd my FAL build, and it was pretty easy, made a nice sexy finish. But...after I make sure it works.

I don't have any headspace gauges, so I'm...tempted to buy some WWB x39 and just use a string...see what the brass looks like. I feel like they're headspaced with the front trunnion, and this gun must have eventually been bound for some sales floor sooo...why wouldn't it be headspaced correctly? (Or I guess I can do the "tape" thing...I dunno.)

It's an adventure for sure, but a cheap one so far.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 5:30:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
awesome.

OP, I'm not tryna hijack your thread, so if it feels that way, tell me to F off.

Some parts came today. Gas tube (romanian) fit just fine, no drama. My Gibbs mag actually did lock in after I remembered that this was an AK and the little  might like to be handled a little roughly. So I rocked the mag with authority and it locked in no sweat. The poly polish mags that came today, however, required a LOT of force to lock in, so between the two I may fit the mag catch just a hair.

I also soaked the whole thing in CLP "long term storage" juice and let it sit for a bit. The scotchbrite pad took the rust off no problem, but what finish was on there it took with it. I've got a sandblaster so after the thing gets smoke tested I'll probably strip it back down, sandblast it, and then... ??cerakote?? ??parkerize?? ??rattlecan?? it. Investigations are ongoing. I park'd my FAL build, and it was pretty easy, made a nice sexy finish. But...after I make sure it works.

I don't have any headspace gauges, so I'm...tempted to buy some WWB x39 and just use a string...see what the brass looks like. I feel like they're headspaced with the front trunnion, and this gun must have eventually been bound for some sales floor sooo...why wouldn't it be headspaced correctly? (Or I guess I can do the "tape" thing...I dunno.)

It's an adventure for sure, but a cheap one so far.
View Quote
Nah man your not bothering me. I want to at least see one success story out of this. With the price of aks now if these turn out to be decent guns I don't see how we can go wrong
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I would totally headspace (no-go) anything I got as a gunsmith special like this.  I have a backordered 7.62x39 headspace no-go gauge that someday will be on its way from Brownells.  I got the 5.45 and 5.56 gauges nearly instantly a couple of weeks ago, but it seems the x39 supply has run dry.  Even if it shoots a few times with a string and you hiding behind a blast shield, I still wouldn't trust it until I got at least a no-go gauge to test it with.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Well I picked up my rifle today and I'm less than impressed. The rifle I received was not the rifle pictured that I ordered. It is also missing parts that were stated to be included extractor, extractor spring, firing pin,firing spring,recoil spring and guide. So I'm gonna give them a call  in the morning and see what they will do. Other than that rifle doesn't look too bad
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well I picked up my rifle today and I'm less than impressed. The rifle I received was not the rifle pictured that I ordered. It is also missing parts that were stated to be included extractor, extractor spring, firing pin,firing spring,recoil spring and guide. So I'm gonna give them a call  in the morning and see what they will do. Other than that rifle doesn't look too bad
View Quote
That's a bummer! At least you were gonna swap the extractor anyhow...
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea no big deal there. I did get a hammer with spring axis pin and thread protector
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Called customer service and let them know what was going on said I'll hear back from they're supervisor Monday. As I suspected I did receive the wrong rifle due to some sort of error.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Welp. All assembled sans handguard (which is on it's way, had to find what I wanted).

Assuming this doesn't literally explode in my face, I should be in this thing for under four bills, with 6 new mags. :D Even if I spend too much on my muzzle device and do decide to parkerize it, I still should be under $500, less than a RAS47. And all this adventure...what's that worth, lol.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Sidenote, the ALG AKT is almost scary. Woof.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sidenote, the ALG AKT is almost scary. Woof.
View Quote
I've got one in my saiga and it's probably the best thing I've ever done to it
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaalep. Just twiddling my thumbs until my headspace gauges (hopefully) arrive. Everything seems to run smooth by hand, even with all the rust in the receiver. Probably just run with a bare muzzle, unless I come across something dirt cheap.

Pleased with the Magpul furniture so far, are the Zhukov folders really "that bad"?
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223482/IMG_20180426_153913-526497.JPG

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaalep. Just twiddling my thumbs until my headspace gauges (hopefully) arrive. Everything seems to run smooth by hand, even with all the rust in the receiver. Probably just run with a bare muzzle, unless I come across something dirt cheap.

Pleased with the Magpul furniture so far, are the Zhukov folders really "that bad"?
View Quote
I'm really digging the plum furniture
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Zhukov folders aren't horrible or anything.  At least mine isn't.  It's just not what I would consider a "real" folding stock because of the lousy attachment to the rifle and the locking mechanism that gives/folds/opens rather than breaking the plastic stock.  I would be happy with it if I didn't have a factory polymer folder from Arsenal on my SLR-104FR that puts it to shame.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm still waiting on the parts I got shorted.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm still waiting on the parts I got shorted.
View Quote
Did Centerfire say what they were going to do?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I picked up my barreled receiver today.  It looks great!  Only "blemish" I see as an arc from a safety selector.  Other than that it is a nice, even black.  I got my third choice...first two attempts that day went "out of stock" before I could finish the checkout process (first two had more parts like top covers, bolt carrier and bolt, etc.).

Mine has the barrel with complete sights, full trigger guard with mag catch and rear trunion.  Looks like it is ready for the rest of the parts to slide right in. Hope there isn't something seriously out of spec.

I also picked up one of their I/O parts kits for $189.99 to build it out, though I intend to use Romy wood or similar for furniture.  That'll put me into the rifle around $400, less any parts I can sell from the parts kit (like the barrel).

Rob
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Did Centerfire say what they were going to do?
View Quote
Supposed to have shipped out my parts yesterday, so I'm gonna give them till Monday evening before I call back. I'm on a first name basis with them at this point. What they said happened was that the barrelled receiver I bought sold 3 times and I was supposed to get a comparable one. They also said I'm not the only one this happened to but who knows at this point
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Called today and same thing as last time should be sent out in a few days
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Got a tracking number today, so hopefully everything is on it's way
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Got a tracking number today, so hopefully everything is on it's way
View Quote
nice. I'm so itching to shoot this thing I can barely stand it. I rented headspace gauges, website said "ships within 24 hours"...that was 7 days ago. No answer when I call. :( I'm not saying they took my money...yet.

My curiosity may get the better of me...
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

I mean look at him. He's just begging for Russia to send some paratroopers...
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223482/IMG_5112-532029.JPG

I mean look at him. He's just begging for Russia to send some paratroopers...
View Quote
What are you gonna do for the finish?
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What are you gonna do for the finish?
View Quote
I've park'd stuff before, it's straightforward very tempted to do that. A friend of mine keeps swearing he's going to get his oven hooked up any day now and could cerakote it too, which might be tempting.

Or shit, maybe I'll just sandblast, cold blue, and oil the daylights out of it with something that will stick. (maybe a Mobil 1 bath or something)
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm really leaning towards the epoxy appliance paint and curing it in a oven. From what I understand it's pretty durable.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Got all my parts from centerfire in and they didn't send me an extractor. No big deal I've got a surplus one on the way. Everything went together smooth had to massage the top cover a small amount.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Well i was gonna just shoot a piece of brass case and see what it looked like after but Elk Ridge Reamers finally got back in touch with me. "Hey golly we're so sorry but we only have 1 set of headspace gauges and we had six requests in the last month. There's still one person ahead of you."

WELL THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW.

Anyway, I guess I'll wait. :( OP, you take any pics yet?
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#46]
No pic worthy progress yet. If I get time today I'm gonna try to run 10 mags threw it or so. Still haven't decided on furniture yet
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Assembled mine over the weekend.  My DDI was a complete receiver with barrel, sights, trigger guard assembly and rear trunion.  Finish is excellent with just a safety selector scratch and one small rust bloom inside at the right rail.

I added:
Furniture--Arsenal US black polymer NATO-length
Trigger group--I/O crap
Gas tube--I/O (had to fit it a bit)
Carrier and bolt--Polish (will replace later--the I/O ones I got were completely unusable)
Thread protector nut--I/O (need to replace with real muzzle device)

I'm into this about $400 total.

Rob
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Headspace gauges finally arrived. Closed nicely on the "go", big fat NOPE on the no-go.

So... gonna shoot it this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm still working the bugs out of mine. Bolt fails to go into battery about 3 times a mag. Only likes a 1/4 inch so I'm thinking a burr in the front trunnion.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Well, I didn't die.

Went basically without a hiccup, save one: On my Gibbs mag, the bolt hung back with 3 rounds still in the mag. A little slingshot finished it off, but thought that was peculiar. My new-production bulgarian mag ran fine.

Only had enough ammo for two (and a half) mags, and now that I know it's not gonna blow my fingers off I need to figure out how I want to refinish it and get some kind of optic because Mein Gott are AK sights dreadful. Also wanna see what it sounds like with a can, because it's, somehow, louder than my 12.5" Grendel.

Still, with my 'spensive Griffin flash hider I'm in right at $450, which seems like a steal? I'm going to keep an eye on the extractor, but at least I'm aware of it, and will probably carry punches and a spare with me in my kit just 'cuz.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top