Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2019 12:08:59 PM EDT
Hey folks, typically I am a purist when it comes to milsurp guns, but I have a Yugo SKS that for many reasons has become my truck rifle. Intended use is for defensive purposes. I know there are other better choices, but this one is what I am using suffice it to say.

Thus far, I have removed the bayonet and grenade launcher attachment. Right now, it looks like this (http://www.alquistarms.com/ati-yugo-sks-59-66-7-62x39-ca-used/). However, I want to do more.

1- I want to chop the barrel back to around 16 inches, maybe a tad more.

2- I want to drill and tap the area where the gas switch is and install a shotgun bead. Then, trim the sides of the bead and flatten it out into a blade so it can become my new front sight.

Questions to above projects.

1- How does the SKS fair when cutting barrel back with regard to reliability? I know that this will effect the dwell time. So has anyone cut SKS barrels down before? Suffer reliability issues?

2- Anyone try to install a sight on the gas block before? Any ideas here?
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:  Hey folks, typically I am a purist when it comes to milsurp guns, but I have a Yugo SKS that for many reasons has become my truck rifle. Intended use is for defensive purposes. I know there are other better choices, but this one is what I am using suffice it to say.

Thus far, I have removed the bayonet and grenade launcher attachment. Right now, it looks like this (http://www.alquistarms.com/ati-yugo-sks-59-66-7-62x39-ca-used/). However, I want to do more.

2- I want to drill and tap the area where the gas switch is and install a shotgun bead. Then, trim the sides of the bead and flatten it out into a blade so it can become my new front sight.

1- How does the SKS fair when cutting barrel back with regard to reliability? I know that this will effect the dwell time. So has anyone cut SKS barrels down before? Suffer reliability issues?

View Quote
1 - There were factory Chinese SKSs w/ a 16" bbl.  Don't know the size of the gas port, however.  Possibly larger, would be easy enough to enlarge after you get the gas block off the bbl.

2 - Where are you putting your rear sight?  Sounds like:

a) you're going to end up w/ a very short sight radius
b) your rear sight will likely be on the dust cover, which will change your zero every time you take apart the rifle to clean it
c) I personally found the 20" bbl guns comfortable to shoot, while the 16" was just light enough to make recoil uncomfortable - YMMV
d) you're doing unrestorable work to an action that will only increase in value, when you could likely sell it for more than you paid for it, and build an AR for $300-450.

If I was going to do unrestorable modifications to an SKS, I'd have the side of the receiver drilled & tapped for a top-mount optic on a mount that has a repeatable zero.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#2]
OP are you planning on doing the work yourself or paying a gunsmith?  If doing this yourself, do you have the tooling to do all these mods?
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP are you planning on doing the work yourself or paying a gunsmith?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
OP are you planning on doing the work yourself or paying a gunsmith?
Self

If doing this yourself, do you have the tooling to do all these mods?
Sorta... Used to be a machinist. I also apprenticed under a gunsmith while I was going to college. I can do a lot with a little.

Main question is, has anyone shortened the bbl on a Yugo SKS before and if so, has anyone noticed a change in reliability?
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey folks, typically I am a purist when it comes to milsurp guns, but I have a Yugo SKS that for many reasons has become my truck rifle. Intended use is for defensive purposes. I know there are other better choices, but this one is what I am using suffice it to say.

View Quote
Are you going to install a flash hider to the 16" or tad shorter bbl.
Make sure it is permanent.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Are you going to install a flash hider to the 16" or tad shorter bbl.
Make sure it is permanent.
View Quote
"Tad more" meaning 16" or longer... Not shorter.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:42:13 AM EDT
[#6]
With out me pulling out one of my Yugo’s, you’ll be lopping off roughly 4” of the barrel. Then you’ll need to recrown the muzzle and Id recommend threading it for a muzzle device. I would test fire it several times with various loads to see if you need to open up the gas port. If you do need to, I believe you’ll have to remove the gas block to do so. If you do, that’s normally not an easy task. I’d recommend eliminating the gas shut off feature and welding a sight onto the gas block kinda like an AKS-74u. They make H&K type sights for AK’s that weld on, but you’re probably going to run into height issues unless you really plan this. If you just put a post or your redneck shotgun bead, good luck trying to zero it.

With this being some sort of defensive firearm for you, I’d really take a step back and think about this project a little harder. Personally, if I had to use a M59/66 for work, I’d probably lose the grenade launcher, eliminate the gas cut off and ugggh put a tapco stock on it. I’m not sure cutting off 4”~ is worth it. Again my personal opinion, if I need to pull a long gun out of my vehicle for defensive purposes, an SKS is not on my top 100 list.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
With out me pulling out one of my Yugo’s, you’ll be lopping off roughly 4” of the barrel. Then you’ll need to recrown the muzzle and Id recommend threading it for a muzzle device. I would test fire it several times with various loads to see if you need to open up the gas port. If you do need to, I believe you’ll have to remove the gas block to do so. If you do, that’s normally not an easy task. I’d recommend eliminating the gas shut off feature and welding a sight onto the gas block kinda like an AKS-74u. They make H&K type sights for AK’s that weld on, but you’re probably going to run into height issues unless you really plan this. If you just put a post or your redneck shotgun bead, good luck trying to zero it.

With this being some sort of defensive firearm for you, I’d really take a step back and think about this project a little harder. Personally, if I had to use a M59/66 for work, I’d probably lose the grenade launcher, eliminate the gas cut off and ugggh put a tapco stock on it. I’m not sure cutting off 4”~ is worth it. Again my personal opinion, if I need to pull a long gun out of my vehicle for defensive purposes, an SKS is not on my top 100 list.
View Quote
I totally agree with you. Think about it though, do you really think the SKS is on the top of MY list either? It is my truck rifle out of necessity, not because it is the best choice. I also don't like the idea of doing a shotgun bead, but I was trying to get a serviceable option w/o breaking the bank either. I was planning on co-witnessing the new bead type sight with the actual front sight post prior to lopping off the desired length on the bbl.

The breaking the bank option I really like is a drill and tap option in the receiver that will allow me to mount and RMR or something but also allow me to still use stripper clips.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#8]
There is a mount out there that replaces the rear sight, but it removes the rear sight. There's also a gas tube replacement and a receiver cover replacement that have rails in them. All are very inexpensive and I have no real experience with them.

Man just sell it, build an AR and use a knife hand while explaining to the Mrs, and start by saying "look woman".
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#10]
How much does a Yugo fetch in the sates? Up here they are on par with a used mini-14, which seems like it would suit your needs a little better if an AR is not an option in your state.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay folks. The wife isn't the reason my truck rifle is an SKS. I have plenty of more hardcore hardware than an SKS. The reason I chose an SKS is the state I live in doesn't disallow municipalities from making more stringent gun laws than the state already has. The city I work in has a law against carrying loaded assault weapons in the vehicle. An assault weapon as defined in the law, is any semi auto with a mag capacity greater than 10 rnds. So, the SKS slides in under the radar. With stripper clips and training, the SKS is still pretty darn quick and effective. Plus, if my truck gets broken into I ain't gonna be devastated if it gets stolen. So, I am gonna set up my SKS to be a little more handy than it's original design. That's what I am up to here. I know the combloc puritans are cry in their vodka over it, but I'm not doing this mod to make other people happy. Just looking for advice on the mod. If others have done a barrel chop, etc.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I went with a 16.25" Ruger Mini-30 as I wanted a 1-4 scope.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#13]
So if you cut it back 4 inches and add a flash hider. You are only reducing oal by 2 inches or so. Is it really worth all of the trouble for that?

You are better off fitting the stock to a comfortable LOP, keeping the sights, and bayonet.

Or you can keep an unloaded AR15, with a loaded magazine right by it...
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Wouldn't that make an AR or mini30 loaded with a 10 round mag not an "assault rifle"? Just saying... the SKS can have 30 round mags as well. I just think it's a risk to do all that work to end up with something not so reliable.

What about a bullpup stock for the SKS? I don't have any experience with them because they are banned in Canada but it seems like one can be had for around $200-$250.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#15]
There was someone on YouTube that had a cut down Yugo, possibly more than one video.

I have thought about doing this more than once to the Yugo I have, just never really got the itch to do it.

Depending on what they go for in your area it may be a better option to sell the Yugo and look for a 16” paratrooper although those sometimes fetch a decent price.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wouldn't that make an AR or mini30 loaded with a 10 round mag not an "assault rifle"? Just saying... the SKS can have 30 round mags as well. I just think it's a risk to do all that work to end up with something not so reliable.

What about a bullpup stock for the SKS? I don't have any experience with them because they are banned in Canada but it seems like one can be had for around $200-$250.
View Quote
The Ruger comes with factory 5 round and you can buy aftermarket 10rd mags.
I'd like to fit a Red Star 20rd mag box to my Yugo but that's an NJ N0-No.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Okay folks. The wife isn't the reason my truck rifle is an SKS. I have plenty of more hardcore hardware than an SKS. The reason I chose an SKS is the state I live in doesn't disallow municipalities from making more stringent gun laws than the state already has. The city I work in has a law against carrying loaded assault weapons in the vehicle. An assault weapon as defined in the law, is any semi auto with a mag capacity greater than 10 rnds. So, the SKS slides in under the radar. With stripper clips and training, the SKS is still pretty darn quick and effective. Plus, if my truck gets broken into I ain't gonna be devastated if it gets stolen. So, I am gonna set up my SKS to be a little more handy than it's original design. That's what I am up to here. I know the combloc puritans are cry in their vodka over it, but I'm not doing this mod to make other people happy. Just looking for advice on the mod. If others have done a barrel chop, etc.
View Quote
Then leave it alone and buy a Norinco para SKS. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I see where you’re going with the magazine capacity thing, but I’m sure the OP is leaving out the “evil feature” details that are most likely the other part of the law. I’m assuming the OP is on the East Coast somewhere from VA to MA.  The traditional SKS is designed with a fixed ten round mag so it’s typically safe from being an “assault weapon”.

I think a Norinco Para in a bullpup stock would be a good choice in this circumstance.

Where in CA do you hail from?.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I see where you’re going with the magazine capacity thing, but I’m sure the OP is leaving out the “evil feature” details that are most likely the other part of the law. I’m assuming the OP is on the East Coast somewhere from VA to MA.  The traditional SKS is designed with a fixed ten round mag so it’s typically safe from being an “assault weapon”.

I think a Norinco Para in a bullpup stock would be a good choice in this circumstance.

Where in CA do you hail from?.
View Quote
Born and raised in Mtl, but I call BC's southern interior home now. Truly night and day when it comes to actually using firearms, wide open spaces will do that!
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Born and raised in Mtl, but I call BC's southern interior home now. Truly night and day when it comes to actually using firearms, wide open spaces will do that!
View Quote
Tabarnak, no way. I’ve spent a lot of time in the 514 and a little bit of time out Est in Sherbrooke. Comparing anywhere in North America to QC is night and day. I’m always shocked when I see an NFA sticker anywhere near MTL. Anyways, bienvenue and enjoy the madness on this site. If you haven’t already, make sure to check in over in the Hometown Forum.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Fount a front sight solution rather than drilling, tapping and installing a crummy shotgun bead.

https://trueshottechnologies.com/store?olsPage=products%2Ftrueshot-technologies-sks-ak-style-front-sight-for-tapered-section-of-barrel-gen3

Also, not sure where some folks got the idea I am installing a flash hider. I never said I was doing that. I'm just chopping the bbl down. I don't want to thread the bbl or install a muzzle device. I am making something that will always be legal, for the most part. Something that will look and feel like a hunting rifle, but be capable of much more. I think it's hilarious the amount of people that are telling me not to do it. It's my rifle and I'll do as I please with it, #changemymind
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Fount a front sight solution rather than drilling, tapping and installing a crummy shotgun bead.

https://trueshottechnologies.com/store?olsPage=products%2Ftrueshot-technologies-sks-ak-style-front-sight-for-tapered-section-of-barrel-gen3

Also, not sure where some folks got the idea I am installing a flash hider. I never said I was doing that. I'm just chopping the bbl down. I don't want to thread the bbl or install a muzzle device. I am making something that will always be legal, for the most part. Something that will look and feel like a hunting rifle, but be capable of much more. I think it's hilarious the amount of people that are telling me not to do it. It's my rifle and I'll do as I please with it, #changemymind
View Quote
Hey brother, to each their own. It’s your goat...

I’m curious, what area is this that has such messed up laws?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:42:20 PM EDT
[#23]
If you sell it for what it's worth, and buy a Chinese 16", you don't have to modify anything and the Chinese gun will continue to appreciate.

If you chop it, the value will never reach that of an unmodded Yugo again.

So swapping for the gun you want is likely the better financial decision in the long run.

Totally understand what you're having to do behind enemy lines.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Update to this. I completed the project, cut the barrel back to 16.25" and re-crowned the barrel. Then mounted the paratrooper style front sight from Bullet Button. Went to test fire and zero today and it wouldn't cycle. Try different ammo, still wouldn't cycle. Even tried full power surplus and it would cycle. Got home, stripped it apart, remove the gas block and opened up the gas port a little bit. We'll see if that makes a difference and will update this thread on results later.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Update. Don't know what the original gasport hole was, but I originally opened it up to 5/32. Went to test fire and it would cycle intermittently. Since it's such a bear to strip down and remove the gas block, I went up two sizes and widened it out to 3/16 now. It's going to be a lot of gas, but I hope it works. I'll let you guys know how it goes if anyone is still paying attention to this.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#26]
If it still doesn't have enough gas might consider a Krink brake or Flaming Pig if you can have one.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#28]
3/16" gas port did the trick. Cycles perfectly and bullets touching @ 25yds with bubba barrel chop and crown job. It looks exactly like this but with a fixed 10 round internal box magazine and no gay bipod. She's the hottest cashier at the Dollar Tree.

https://images.app.goo.gl/imxAoztF5TGjJyZn7
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#29]
17inch Yugo SKS project walk through ZRUS
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the embed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top