Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2020 4:54:23 PM EDT
I have several hundred rounds of this stuff.

Headstamp:

IK

Primer has a red sealer on it.  Brass cased.  

Is this corrosive?

Also I have some egyptian ammo.  The box says Egyptian.  

Headstamp:
7.62x39

Brass Cased, primer has a thin dark blue, almost black sealer on it.  

What say the experts?
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have some that is with red sealant. Just assume it is and clean after no biggie.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
yes
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks fellas
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#4]
On your Yugo ammunition, is the primer flat or dome-shaped? IIRC, when Igman used their export headstamp "IK" instead of the domestic, Cyrillic "NK" and a flat, nickel plated primer, the primers were non-corrosive.

As for the "Egyptian" stuff, can you post a picture of the head stamp and box? Typically, Egyptian ammunition has an Arabic head stamp. There was one lot of surplus that came in some years ago with a non-typical "generic" head stamp like what you describe, that had a different primer compound, either non-mercuric or non-corrosive and the box was marked as having a shelf life of 10 years or something to that effect. IIRC the head stamp was dated 1994.

*Edited to add "nickel plated" to the Yugo description.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On your Yugo ammunition, is the primer flat or dome-shaped? IIRC, when Igman used their export headstamp "IK" instead of the domestic, Cyrillic "NK" and a flat primer, the primers were non-corrosive.

As for the "Egyptian" stuff, can you post a picture of the head stamp and box? Typically, Egyptian ammunition has an Arabic head stamp. There was one lot of surplus that came in some years ago with a non-typical "generic head stamp like what you describe, that had a different primer compound, either non-mercuric or non-corrosive and the box was marked as having a shelf life of 10 years or something to that effect. IIRC the head stamp was dated 1994.
View Quote

Yugo has a domed primer.

The egyptian stuff does match your description.  I'll try to post a picture.  

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#6]
IMO, Yugo M67 is some of the best x39 ammo out there.  It has corrosive primers.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes it is, but its my favorite surplus commie 30 ammo. I stacked it deep when it was cheap

After shooting the stuff I scrub everything down in the basement slop sink with hot water & dawn, dry & clp everything, never had a problem in the 2 decades of shooting it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Is the PPU M67 stuff corrosive? I've seen it on websites where it doesn't mention it one way or another and on a few it states "non-corrosive".

Ammo in question.

Link Posted: 11/9/2020 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is the PPU M67 stuff corrosive? I've seen it on websites where it doesn't mention it one way or another and on a few it states "non-corrosive".

Ammo in question.
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-b7687/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/7338/20475/PRVI-762x39-Brass-M67--15rd-BOX-mrk-so__93457.1601403318.jpg?c=2

View Quote

I was told it was & treat it as such. Just clean with hot water & simple green.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ammo in question.
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-b7687/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/7338/20475/PRVI-762x39-Brass-M67--15rd-BOX-mrk-so__93457.1601403318.jpg?c=2

Is that confirmed though? When I put the sku number ( SKU: PP76239B ) in a search any website selling it that actually mentions it says it's non-corrosive and the rest just don't mention it either way. I've yet to read any place selling it that says it is corrosive. I'd rather avoid pouring boiling water through a firearm and then blast it with oil before cleaning just to make sure water isn't being trapped and causing rust. I've had my fill of that with all of the surplus ammo I bought over the last few decades so I'd rather avoid it with this stuff if possible.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#11]
All PPU I’ve seen is new commercial production with non-corrosive primers.
If the writing on the box is in English, it’s not surplus.
FWIW, PPU website lists their new production m67 7.62x39 as ‘non-corrosive’.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All PPU I’ve seen is new commercial production with non-corrosive primers.
If the writing on the box is in English, it’s not surplus.
FWIW, PPU website lists their new production m67 7.62x39 as ‘non-corrosive’.
View Quote

This.

Based on the commercial headstamp, box markings, and the flat primer profile, I would be fairly confident this particular ammunition is non-corrosive.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 11:39:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Is that confirmed though? When I put the sku number ( SKU: PP76239B ) in a search any website selling it that actually mentions it says it's non-corrosive and the rest just don't mention it either way. I've yet to read any place selling it that says it is corrosive. I'd rather avoid pouring boiling water through a firearm and then blast it with oil before cleaning just to make sure water isn't being trapped and causing rust. I've had my fill of that with all of the surplus ammo I bought over the last few decades so I'd rather avoid it with this stuff if possible.
View Quote

If you use boiling water the metal will get hot enough to dry itself, so it’s not really a big deal to do it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#14]
yes.

M67 is IMO the best 7.62 round made.

Excellent ammo.

Pour water over everything and clean as normal, that's it.

ETA: I prefer 1/2 ballistol and 1/2 water in an old windex bottle.

Does the same but leaves a little coating to protect metal till properly cleaned.

(7n6 shooter here)
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#15]
"IK" headstamp is Ingman made in Yugoslavia. It was imported back in the 80's (maybe the 90's too for a short while before the war) under Hansen brand I believe. I shot a bunch of the Yugo stuff with "IK-85" headstamps. I still have some and it's commercial non-corrosive. Good ammo.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#16]
IK=Ingman from Bosnia-Herz.

Sorry for double post..
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:52:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ammo in question.

View Quote

I would assume any M67 ammo is corrosive.  PPU commercial ammo is boxer and non-corrosive.  The white box is just the current packaging they use for military contracts, the brown box surplus yugo used the same size boxes.  Some vendors say the white box ammo is berdan primed, others say boxer.  I bough some years ago in white boxes and clear battlepacks that was claimed to be non-corrosive and it was repacked surplus ammo with 70's headstamps.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:55:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I would assume any M67 ammo is corrosive.  PPU commercial ammo is boxer and non-corrosive.  The white box is just the current packaging they use for military contracts, the brown box surplus yugo used the same size boxes.  Some vendors say the white box ammo is berdan primed, others say boxer.  I bough some years ago in white boxes and clear battlepacks that was claimed to be non-corrosive and it was repacked surplus ammo with 70's headstamps.
View Quote

I think that "M67" is used the way we use M193 or M855 here in the US. The authentic mil-surp Yugo M67 ammo that comes in crates and plain brown boxes on the 10 round round stripper clips has corrosive primers. Meanwhile, Yugo and former Yugo manufacturers may still label their FMJ Ball ammo as "M67" even though it is commercial, non-corrosive ammo. If it has 80's or newer dates on the headstamp it is non-corrosive. I was just shooting my "M67" ammo with IK-85 headstamps with zero concern that it was corrosive.

If you have a lot of questionable ammo and really gotta know for sure, you could pull a bullet, dump the powder and "pop" the primered case over a piece of steel and see if it starts to rust in the area. If it's corrosive it will start to rust only in the area that got blackened from the primer detonation.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:44:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think that "M67" is used the way we use M193 or M855 here in the US. The authentic mil-surp Yugo M67 ammo that comes in crates and plain brown boxes on the 10 round round stripper clips has corrosive primers. Meanwhile, Yugo and former Yugo manufacturers may still label their FMJ Ball ammo as "M67" even though it is commercial, non-corrosive ammo. If it has 80's or newer dates on the headstamp it is non-corrosive. I was just shooting my "M67" ammo with IK-85 headstamps with zero concern that it was corrosive.

If you have a lot of questionable ammo and really gotta know for sure, you could pull a bullet, dump the powder and "pop" the primered case over a piece of steel and see if it starts to rust in the area. If it's corrosive it will start to rust only in the area that got blackened from the primer detonation.
View Quote

Then don't forget to clean your gun right away, as if it were corrosive.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top