Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2019 12:15:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 545_7n6]
I have a recently purchased, but 2014 marked trunnion Romanion RH-10, which is closely related to a wasr, just with a different sighting system essentially. Ive had 2 failures to eject in the last 350 rounds, where the empty casing is slamming into the top of the barrel horizontally (opposite of a stove pipe). Normally the ejection sends the brass 30 feet, but sometimes it lands half that distance. I have done some reading about these new production Romanian AKs having bad extractors. I was wondering if this is the likely cause before I buy a new extractor. This usually happens after a magazine or 2 when the barrel is getting warmed up.

Also, the gas tube has no holes in it to let off excess gas, it does seem to be pretty overgassed but I don't know if that would be the issue for failures to eject, considering most AKs are overgassed, and the fact that ejection seems to vary.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you may need to replace the extractor spring. Also make sure the chamber is clean.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, if the extractor loses control of the fired case it can exhibit FTEj. Detail strip and clean the bolt, and while it's apart look for chips or dulling on the extractor and for a weak extractor spring.

While the bolt is out look for peening on the ejector and any abnormal wear in th ejector slot of the bolt.

AJ
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#3]
how sharp should the edge on the extractor claw be?
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Not razor sharp.

This really means the extractor should taper to a narrow but not sharp edge with a slight flat.
Look for excessive wear, chips, or deformation of the actual extractor edge.

Also for the gas tube, look for notches on the front end.
Early gas tubes had holes, later tubes have notches on the front edge to vent excess gas.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I have replaced the extractor and spring, going to take to the range soon to test it out. Btw there are no notches or holes its just a  sealed gas tube. Maybe good for suppressor use?
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Shot a few hundred rounds, rifle was hot enough to cook the tritium sight. No extraction issues, I think this solved the issue. I got a polish extractor spring and extractor from apex. Thanks everyone for the input
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top