Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2018 8:33:51 PM EDT
I’m trying to figure out what spare parts for AK I should keep on hand so that they will still be running for my kids.

Thanks David
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Based on what I have gathered it’s not a bad idea to hold onto a full spring kit, spare extractor and firing pin.

Aks are pretty robust. You can expect 100k rounds or more.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#2]
The problem with spare parts is I always end up building them into a complete rifle.

I'll look into my spare parts bin and it will be like "Oh look, a trigger guard, better go buy some parts and build a rifle with it".
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#3]
^^^ That is me too.  A furniture set turns into a rifle.

I think you should keep as many wear parts as you can.  Like complete bolt, fire control group, firing pin, springs, etc..

I personally keep a full spring set and a firing pin, and I have crappy Century triggers I replaced with G2s as my backup FCG.  I need to get a bolt, but I know you have to headspace bolt to chamber/barrel, and they aren't drop-in parts necessarily, so it's not as easy to get one of those for an AK as it is for an AR.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#4]
AKs don't generally break bolts, unless you have the crappiest of American made guns. Firing pins and extractors can break and it's nice to have spares. The common other failure point is the American made compliance FCG parts.

AJ
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:53:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FloridaAKM] [#5]
I just keep spare rifles, so when one breaks, just grab another & keep shooting. Yes, that many! Another problem is that I buy a bit of this & a bit of that & one day there is enough stuff to build a complete rifle or two or three.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a few bolt essential packages which includes a firing pin, extractor, plunger and spring, AK47 extractor.

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/Bolt-and-Recoil-Assembly-c159.htm
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I have broke an extractor in a Chinese mak. I have also broke an extractor spring n a Bulgarian SAM 7.  They are rugged . But not invincible.  Man made. It can break.  Get a firing pin also.  Seen those give up also.  Cheers WarDawg Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FloridaAKM:
I just keep spare rifles, so when one breaks, just grab another & keep shooting. Yes, that many! Another problem is that I buy a bit of this & a bit of that & one day there is enough stuff to build a complete rifle or two or three.
View Quote

It’s a lot easier to carry a spare firing pin and extractor along with the pins with the rifle. All those parts are replaceable in the field.

If you AK has a hollow grip you can stash the bolt parts inside. They are still accessible if you have the cleaning kit capsule and screwdriver with you.

AJ
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top