BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2019 11:07:06 AM EDT
Will Tapco Galil mags work?

What about the ProMag .223 mags?

Will it need a bullet guide with these or is that only for Saiga conversions?

Or should I pass due to mag frustration?  I would hate the idea of searching for weeks and then paying $100+ per mag for original Chinese mags.

TIA.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#1]
For the best results use the Norinco  30rd mags that came with the preban version of this rifle, the 84s.

Ive heard mixed reviews that you can attempt to use a promag with a bunch of sanding/fitting. Doesn't seem to work 100% of the time.

No, you wont need a bullet guide for this rifle since it already has one.

Personally i've got 3 of the preban versions myself & a stack of mags for them. Never paid anywhere near $100 for a mag most ive paid was $60 shipped & that's been consistent for the past 3  years.
Mags can be found on a regular basis if you look.

Now lets get down to the details that matter

1. How much are they asking and is it a shop because then you have to factor in sales tax.
2. Does It come with any mags at all?

is it a shop or private seller
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For the best results use the Norinco  30rd mags that came with the preban version of this rifle, the 84s.

Ive heard mixed reviews that you can attempt to use a promag with a bunch of sanding/fitting. Doesn't seem to work 100% of the time.

No, you wont need a bullet guide for this rifle since it already has one.

Personally i've got 3 of the preban versions myself & a stack of mags for them. Never paid anywhere near $100 for a mag most ive paid was $60 shipped & that's been consistent for the past 3  years.
Mags can be found on a regular basis if you look.

Now lets get down to the details that matter

1. How much are they asking and is it a shop because then you have to factor in sales tax.
2. Does It come with any mags at all?

is it a shop or private seller
View Quote
1.  It's an individual who is "Thinking about selling it" so price hasn't really been discussed.  I thought I'd find out about mags before I showed any interest.
2.  It has one original mag.  The guy didn't remember how many rounds but he said it is short so probably 5, 10, or 15 rounds.

That isn't much info.  What price would be reasonable?  I saw one on armslist asking $995 with 2 30 round Chinese mags with the original thumbhole.  This one has the thumbhole, too.

What's your thought on the Tapco Galil mags?

I don't mind some filing on a mag to make it work, if the mags are decent.

Thanks again for the quick reply.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The .223 mak90 and the preban version is not highly sought after due to the mag prices and availability.
If he doesn't have 30rd Norinco mags for the rifle and it's just a small mag then in all honesty $700-750 would be top value and even then I think that is really stretching it.
I paid $750,$1k & $1050 for my 3 prebans within the past few years because flat out people don't care for them because of the mags.

If I was buying it without the highcap mags I'd offer $600 but that's me.

As far as the tapco mags go I don't have an answer for ya as Ive never modified one to work in my guns.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks again for the input.  I don't know that I want to mess with the mag situation.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:48:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a preban and post ban Norinco 223. I have a bunch of original mags, but I found that mine will run with Bulgarian circle 10 5.56 mags. I think it is a case by case basis, because I had another post ban that the circle 10s would not lock in. I'm sure I could have made em work, but I ended up selling it to a friend. I have another buddy with a pre ban like mine and his will take a circle 10, but it is very tight. This made more sense when circle 10s were 30 each, but now they are high, so I dont know if that really helps you.

James
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 8:25:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a preban and post ban Norinco 223. I have a bunch of original mags, but I found that mine will run with Bulgarian circle 10 5.56 mags. I think it is a case by case basis, because I had another post ban that the circle 10s would not lock in. I'm sure I could have made em work, but I ended up selling it to a friend. I have another buddy with a pre ban like mine and his will take a circle 10, but it is very tight. This made more sense when circle 10s were 30 each, but now they are high, so I dont know if that really helps you.

James
View Quote
After you mentioned them I searched a little read about mixed results some people have with them.  The prices are high but at least they are regularly available instead of having to hunt for them.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#7]
The 223 MaK90's and NHMs along with the preban 84s don't have feed ramps -- the from of the mag acts as the bullet guide. AK74 mags will lockup nicely, but require a modded follower and clearancing the feed lips for the 556 shoulder. Add a feedramp for reliability and you're golden. If you can score a good deal on a MAK, add a feedramp and mod the TAPCO Gallil mags. Might work nicely at a reasonable cost.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:07:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Mak-90 .223 around Christmas for $800. I came with one 30 round and one 15 round mag. I bought 5 of the promags, and with some dremelling to get them to lock in they work perfectly.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top