Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2021 3:55:27 PM EDT
Alright, so I passed on the Arsenal 107R after some discussion in another post, and after taking a look at it and it being finicky fitting mags.

Wanting to get a KUSA KP9, but now I’m stuck on possibly snagging a Zastava ZPAPM70.

The two versions I’m looking at have the 1.5mm reciever with bulged trunnion and chrome-lined barrel.

M70 version with adjustable stock is about $200 cheaper than the side folder M70 that just came in stock.

What about the extra $200 for the triangle folder?  It’s got the cool factor, but I’ve never shot a triangle folder 7.62 AK so don’t know if it’s really “worth it”?

Also, can I just swap to one later if I get the adjustable stock version and decide I really want a folder?

Thanks, again, for quick thoughts.  New to the AK game...haven’t shot anything but the KP9, which obviously it isn’t 7.62!
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#1]
ZPAP85 is 5.56 in case you missed that.  I have one (pistol) and it’s a nice shooter with a handy, krink-like size, but a 5.56 AK but not be what you’re after.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ZPAP85 is 5.56 in case you missed that.  I have one (pistol) and it’s a nice shooter with a handy, krink-like size, but a 5.56 AK but not be what you’re after.
View Quote

OP updated...

Oh, I definitely did miss that!  Sheesh, I got too excited to actually see AKs in stock and blew right past it.

Alright, so then adjustable AR style set up or triangle folder for $200 more?

Can I swap the tube/adjustable stock for a folder on the M70, if I wanted to later?

Any quality differences on the rest of the rifles between the new folder & existing adjustable stock version?
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Looking at the metal side folder version on Atlantic’s website, I think you could later change it out for an M4 style stock on a buffer tube, provided you find a compatible adapter that bolts up to the rear trunnion.  Stormwerkz makes a number of stock mounting adaptors for Yugo style trunnions, but the question would be whether the bolt holes Zastava already drilled in the trunnion will work for a different type of adaptor or not.  Customer service at Atlantic or Zastava USA may have a view on that or be able to tell you the bolt spacing.

ETA: I actually answered your question in the wrong direction.  If you ultimately would want a triangle folder, it will cost you the better part of $200 to find the right adapter, folding mechanism and stock, and that assumes the bolt pattern is compatible.  I’d just go with the folder up front.

To me the stock choice is a question of aesthetics and shooter comfort.  I dig the more classic combloc style of a triangle folder or wood and don’t personally care for the M4 style stock on an AK.  That said, the cheekweld on the metal folders isn’t great and being metal, they get hot in the sun and cold in winter if that kind of thing would bug you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looking at the metal side folder version on Atlantic’s website, I think you could later change it out for an M4 style stock on a buffer tube, provided you find a compatible adapter that bolts up to the rear trunnion.  Stormwerkz makes a number of stock mounting adaptors for Yugo style trunnions, but the question would be whether the bolt holes Zastava already drilled in the trunnion will work for a different type of adaptor or not.  Customer service at Atlantic or Zastava USA may have a view on that or be able to tell you the bolt spacing.

To me the stock choice is a question of aesthetics and shooter comfort.  I dig the more classic combloc style of a triangle folder or wood and don’t personally care for the M4 style stock on an AK.  That said, the cheekweld on the metal folders isn’t great and being metal, they get hot in the sun and cold in winter if that kind of thing would bug you.
View Quote

Thank you for the input!

I wonder if I can go the other direction and put a triangle folder on the M4 style stock version?

Edit:  lol, just saw your edit!

Would save me a couple hundred bucks now...which might be nice for buying 10 rounds of ammo, LOL.

@ATLANTIC-FIREARMS

Bigger question...outside of the current climate, are these worth $1100-$1300?  I know, I know, “worth” is a slippery slope of a word to use here...guess I’m thinking more in general terms of quality, durability, and performance.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Zastava makes good rifles. I believe that triangle folder is PLASTIC. That would give me pause until I put hands on it and confirmed it was something really tough.

Personally I'd rather have a plain wood stock if actual metal was not available.

I have a ZPAP M85 with the M4 stock. It kinda looks like an abomination but in actual use, it's the best, most comfortable, user friendly "collapsible" or folding AK stock I have used. And thats with the brace thing on it. It's also very solid and stable. They even staked the castle nut!
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Zastava makes good rifles. I believe that triangle folder is PLASTIC. That would give me pause until I put hands on it and confirmed it was something really tough.

Personally I'd rather have a plain wood stock if actual metal was not available.

I have a ZPAP M85 with the M4 stock. It kinda looks like an abomination but in actual use, it's the best, most comfortable, user friendly "collapsible" or folding AK stock I have used. And thats with the brace thing on it. It's also very solid and stable. They even staked the castle nut!
View Quote

Pretty sure the triangle stock is steel, the grip is polymer
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Per the video it is a steel triangle folder!

Now the question is...do I want to pay $1300 plus shipping for the gun, or wait to see if anyone gets a fixed stock version back in for around $950?  
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Now the question is...do I want to pay $1300 plus shipping for the gun, or wait to see if anyone gets a fixed stock version back in for around $950?  
View Quote

I myself am trying to decide between the fixed stock version or the psa ak103
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fixed triangle stock (which looks the same as the folder) is not plastic, is non-magnetic, and it is very stout feeling and looking in person.  It looks to be made out of solid aluminum.  They are not lying in the video when they say you could bust a door down with it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here on the PSA AK103...I’m just wondering how much longer we’ll have the ability to get these imported AKs given the current leadership, and if that makes it worth the $1300 for the folder.  If I knew PA or Atlantic were going to for sure get more fixed stock versions for $950-$1000, I’d probably wait.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Same here on the PSA AK103...I’m just wondering how much longer we’ll have the ability to get these imported AKs given the current leadership, and if that makes it worth the $1300 for the folder.  If I knew PA or Atlantic were going to for sure get more fixed stock versions for $950-$1000, I’ll probably wait.
View Quote

Same here.  Sadly i dont think we will get more at that price.   There is a local shop that has one but the want $1500 for the fixed stock zpap.  The psa looks amazing and certainly has a fantastic barrel but i think ot will be easy or easier i should say to get in say 6 months than the zpap.  That has me leaning towards the fixed stock zpap.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:00:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Same here.  Sadly i dont think we will get more at that price.   There is a local shop that has one but the want $1500 for the fixed stock zpap.  The psa looks amazing and certainly has a fantastic barrel but i think ot will be easy or easier i should say to get in say 6 months than the zpap.  That has me leaning towards the fixed stock zpap.
View Quote

If I could confirm that you can add a wood stock to the Zastava side folder, I’d probably snag it just in case.

@ATLANTIC-FIREARMS - Can you confirm?
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If I could confirm that you can add a wood stock to the Zastava side folder, I’d probably snag it just in case.

@ATLANTIC-FIREARMS - Can you confirm?
View Quote

No clue how that would be done.  Id love if they made an underfolder though
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't think that you can go wrong with the ZPAP.  I have been looking for one myself but I am looking for the wood stocked version.  I like the triangle folders but I'm not a fan of the one on the ZPAP but I am probably too picky at times.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't think that you can go wrong with the ZPAP.  I have been looking for one myself but I am looking for the wood stocked version.  I like the triangle folders but I'm not a fan of the one on the ZPAP but I am probably too picky at times.
View Quote

Out of curiosity, what don’t you like about this triangle folder?

Also, think there is any chance that the folder could be swapped out for a wood stock?
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, what don’t you like about this triangle folder?

Also, think there is any chance that the folder could be swapped out for a wood stock?
View Quote

I like the traditional Russian style with the button to unlock and then the stock attaches to the receiver when folded.  That being said I just looked at Atlantics web site and this is a nice looking gun.  The TD grip is a nice touch.  I am not sure about swapping out the folder.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I like the traditional Russian style with the button to unlock and then the stock attaches to the receiver when folded.  That being said I just looked at Atlantics web site and this is a nice looking gun.  The TD grip is a nice touch.  I am not sure about swapping out the folder.
View Quote

Ah, I read ya.  It does look like a nice gun.  I found an adjustable stock version for cheaper and AKOU turned his fixed stock into an adjustable stock, so I figured it can for sure swap to fixed.

Just wish I knew I’d the fixed, adjustable, and folder were all interchangeable.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:23:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm waiting for a batch of classic blonde solid stock ones to come in.  Have been on the mailing list for a couple months but while other versions are hitting the US, the standard "Yugo look" ones haven't.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:30:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I want to like the offerings from zastava, but the AK market to me has always been based on building most traditional "clone correct" gun.  That folder does nothing for me, nor the gas block with no grenade sight, lack of night sights, etc...  I'm sure they're selling tons of guns, but I can't justify the amount of money they're asking for a rifle as incorrect as what they're sending us.  At least give us a legit russian style side folder with the latch and button, not some tapco bolt on bs.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The stock is NOT plastic it is made of metal and built like a brick shit house !

View Quote

OK, I stand corrected. My apologies.

Honest and non-sarcastic question: Why is it hard to get correct Russian/Bulgarian etc folding stock options? Are they patented? Is it because of 922 parts required? It seems that EVERYONE wants correct authentic folding stocks but we keep getting weird home-brew type stuff. Granted the domestic made stocks may even function better than the actual Russian ones.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The stock is NOT plastic it is made of metal and built like a brick shit house !

View Quote

Thank you for the confirmation @ATLANTIC-FIREARMS

Can it be swapped out for a fixed wood stock?
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#24]
ETA:  This is a Yugo pattern rifle not AKM so disregard.

[Changing the folding stock for a fixed wooden stock will almost certainly require changing the rear trunnion, which is not a small job on an AK.]
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Without this style of rear trunnion, I don’t know how you would go about securely attaching a traditional wood buttstock.

View Quote

If memory serves, the Yugoslavian rear Trunnion is not a standard one with a tang and looks like this:

The unit that Z-USA supplies to Atlantic and other resellers uses a "circle ten" model steel buttstock and ACE-Style adapter.

You should be able to swap out for a yugo style stock relatively easy.

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If memory serves, the Yugoslavian rear Trunnion is not a standard one with a tang and looks like this:
https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/141085/948385644/wm_4744838.jpg

The unit that Z-USA supplies to Atlantic and other resellers uses a "circle ten" model steel buttstock and ACE-Style adapter.

View Quote

Yes, I forgot this is a Yugo pattern!  My response and pics are for standard AKM.  It could work after all.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/141085/948385644/wm_4744838.jpg

View Quote

That would be awesome!  I wasn’t sure because of the added two screws on the folding mechanism they point out in the video that is to help with stability of the stock.  I wonder if those are just set screws and not actually a different rear trunnion set up?
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#28]
How do you attach a sling to the back?
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#29]
For everyone asking about that folder mechanism and swapping to a fixed stock, it looks like an Ace/Stormwerkz style hinge. These are normally used on fixed stock AK's to add a folder, you cut the tang off and then use a receiver block that is threaded and you secure the hinge to the receiver block with screws, then you add your compatible stock of choice (there's a decent selection of stocks for this hinge style). You could turn it into a fixed stock by removing the hinge, there are fixed stocks that can mount directly to the receiver block. As far as mounting a standard AKM or Yugo fixed stock, you could if you remove the receiver block, but you won't have the extra support of the tang, not sure what that would do in the long run.
This assuming a standard Ace/Stormwerkz  set up, if it came from Zastava with an oddball trunnion then this may not be correct.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:22:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey all - I just got one of these - and it’s my first AK. I believe it’s worth every dollar considering what other AK’s are going for at the moment. If you all need photos just let me know and I can snap whatever you need

I can confirm the folder is metal and stout as hell. Lockup is solid in both positions - I do want it have some kind of butt pad out on after shooting it today.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:33:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hey all - I just got one of these - and it’s my first AK. I believe it’s worth every dollar considering what other AK’s are going for at the moment. If you all need photos just let me know and I can snap whatever you need

I can confirm the folder is metal and stout as hell. Lockup is solid in both positions - I do want it have some kind of butt pad out on after shooting it today.
View Quote

Awesome!  Thank you for the offer and congrats on the purchase!

If you could post some close ups of the folder and folding mechanism I’d love to see if someone could confirm the ability to add a fixed stock, or even an adjustable like Rob Ski did with his fixed stock version.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Photos of the folder - let me know if this helps. I also confirmed that a QD will fit into the end of the stock. The more I mess with this - the more I like it

If I understand this mechanism - the folder bolts up like a normal Yugo bolt - the two screws you can see when it’s folded prevent it from tilting on that single bolt by applying counter pressure. The green screws apply tension to the folder so it locks up tight. I think you have to take it off to adjust these from the inside.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Photos of the folder - let me know if this helps. I also confirmed that a QD will fit into the end of the stock. The more I mess with this - the more I like it

If I understand this mechanism - the folder bolts up like a normal Yugo bolt - the two screws you can see when it’s folded prevent it from tilting on that single bolt by applying counter pressure. The green screws apply tension to the folder so it locks up tight. I think you have to take it off to adjust these from the inside.

https://i.imgur.com/DZl8W3y.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gO1oKSz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/z5SoZgl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/djAKBNJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SjcI2AS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ilFUtFK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/u90RULo.jpg
View Quote

Awesome, thank you so much!  I’m sold
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#34]
I read something that doesn’t seem true...if Sleepy J does an import ban, wouldn’t Zastava’s stop being available?

Saw a post somewhere over the weekend that suggested that Zastava USA would still be able to offer rifles since they have everything in house in the US...doesn’t make sense to me if the lowers are being manufacture overseas.  Maybe they have a stock of lowers in the US now, but once those are gone they wouldn’t be able to offer anymore, right?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#35]
No one knows anything. I would just buy a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#36]
That is one beautiful rifle!

I’m not a fan of the pistol grip. I wonder why they went with plastic instead of a wood one matching the handguard?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I’m not a fan of the pistol grip. I wonder why they went with plastic instead of a wood one matching the handguard?
View Quote

Me neither, but I don't mind wood and plastic mixed, like a Valmet M76, certain FAL variants and a Yugo M70.  I just bought a ZPAP M70 and ditched the blocky wood PG for an M70-style one, which you can get from Zastava if you go to the ZPAP 92 or 85 parts list and order.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Got one on the way!  Pumped
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Still available on DK Arms if anyone was looking!  Looks like the tactical variant has dried up and the side folder at Atlantic is OOS.

My first purchase for DK Arms, so I’m hoping it’s good to go!
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Welcome to the Dark Side.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:29:29 AM EDT
[#42]
It all depends on what would be included in this hypothetical ban. Would it be all firearms and parts?! Then I would say zusa would be done selling firearms as we see them now. What about a ban on just firearms?! Then zusa could just become a true weapons manufacturer. Import the parts, assemble them and sell their rifles that way. This would drastically increase prices but you’d still be able to get zusa Aks. The pre-ban Serbian rifles would command a premium. At the end of the day there are too many what ifs.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top