Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2022 9:27:21 AM EDT
I have a 1968 Tula kit, (no barrel) Recreator blank .  Not sure I want to build and what the correct way to build is without ruining collect-ability (or what passes for that these days.

Seems like collectors want kits left alone and build it exactly the way they want OR close to as original looking.

Does adding a US-Made chrome-lined or Polish FB Radom quality chrome lined barrel de-value it versus a surplus Romanian?

Seems like the FB Radom are great quality but the highly finish precision doesn't match the original Russian "rougher" machined countours which is why I think people like the ROmy barrels.  Romy's aren't better, but match better?  Is this the consensus?

I have an old Romanian build I could pull the Romanian barrel, replace with a new US or FB Radom on the ROmy build -  and then use the pulled Romanian with the Tula kit?  Are ROmanian barrels really worth what is being asked versus say new quality Polish ?

Lots of work to get a Romanian barrel - But is it worth it to get this build done right?

Link Posted: 11/26/2022 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought mine (69 Izhmash, matching HG) and struggled with the same question. In the end, I built it on a Childer's receiver, Romanian barrel, correct markings.  I haven't looked back since.  I love it more now that its a complete rifle rather that a box of parts.  Either way, enjoy it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#2]
How about a FN CHF barrel? PSA sells them.

I would build it. I am tempted to buy a Russian kit but I have a Polish AKM kit from 1984 that I built at a LAV class. Hard to pass up though.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top