Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2017 11:09:33 PM EDT
Is the front sight adjustment tool the only thing really needed?
Removing the muzzle device and furniture require anything special?

Are there any other tools out there people like to use? Either for cleaning or basic disassembly?
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 11:45:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#1]
Do you have the little cleaning kit tool metal "pill" in the buttstock & your cleaning rod?

Then have ALL the tools you really need to work on and maintain your AK...

AK tool use - in english

AK tool kit use - russian but easy to follow

AK Tool Kit use - in English - pretty good too.

If you don't have a Fire Control Pin Plate for your AK to replace the sheppards hook spring, definitely do that.  Worth ever penny and under $10 to do!

It is worth getting some brake cleaner to spray your gas piston and gas system, get a stiff metal wire brush to scrub your gas piston...
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.

My first AK (WBP CG1) is actually still sitting at my FFL until I get home from working out of town, but Atlantic said it does not have a cleaning kit.
I have an Otis pull through kit and a rod/ jags/brushes/ brake cleaner ect, so I should be good there.

I'll probably just pick up a cheap front sight tool since it's a new rifle it should be easy to adjust the front sight.

Is it common to need that trigger spring tool? I wasn't thinking I would need to mess with the G2 trigger.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 5:11:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodsmoke] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Saddlerocker:
Thank you.

My first AK (WBP CG1) is actually still sitting at my FFL until I get home from working out of town, but Atlantic said it does not have a cleaning kit.
I have an Otis pull through kit and a rod/ jags/brushes/ brake cleaner ect, so I should be good there.

I'll probably just pick up a cheap front sight tool since it's a new rifle it should be easy to adjust the front sight.

Is it common to need that trigger spring tool? I wasn't thinking I would need to mess with the G2 trigger.
View Quote
Don't buy a cheap front sight tool. They break easily. Spend the extra cash on the Magna-Matic. The Issue AK cleaning kit is good to have because it has many uses. I never use the brushes or jags and you have an Otis so you don't need the brush or jag either. The case is nice but what you really need is the punch which is used to remove the firing pin retaining pin and the extractor pin. The Polish cleaning kit also has a small slave pin used to hold the disconnector and trigger together to make it easier to assemble. You don't need the slave pin but it's nice. There's no need to use a wire brush on the gas piston. Soak it in your favorite solvent and wipe clean. A little carbon isn't going to hurt. If you really are anal just use Slip carbon killer.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 1:04:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Magna-Matic, bore snake and screwdriver is all I have ever needed to maintain my AKs.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:58:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Saddlerocker] [#5]
Well I got a magna matic from AKOU since I was already ordering a couple other things.
I just picked up the rifle today not, but I'll have to see if it is able to store a cleaning kit in the stock.
It did come with a retaining plate in place of the shepherds hook.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I use a green scouring pad to clean the piston.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:46:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Saddlerocker] [#7]
I just picked up some things from APEX parts.

-Polish buttstock cleaning kit, as my rifle does have the compartment for it.
-Gas port reamer
-Broken shell extractor
-A spare G2 hammer so I can experiment with filing it down to attempt to minimize mushrooming on carrier tail.
-And while I'm sure I don't really need it, I got a Real Avid carbon scraper.
-And a few of the $9.99 New Zastava BHO mags that seem to have good reviews and appear to be the same as Yugos, only brand new. And $10
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Youre pretty much set there.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top