Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2023 2:37:05 PM EDT
First, I love the midwest rail, but I definitely need a lower mount for the red dot. My jaw bone was riding the stock it was so high

Second, stock was not comfortable against my cheek even with irons...need to figure out something there

Third, I started having trigger reset issues during the second half of my session. If I kinda slapped the trigger I never had a problem. However I release to reset on almost all my guns and don't take my finger off the trigger til I'm done firing. Dou this, it would almost reset but then hang up. If I just bumped it lightly with my finger it would reset but if I eased it like I'm want to do, it would stick

This is my first ak and even the first time I've fired an ak. I can see the interest now, but I could use some help resolving these issues so my next range trip is more enjoyable

Thanks!Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of AK and do you know what trigger group it has?
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
First, I love the midwest rail, but I definitely need a lower mount for the red dot. My jaw bone was riding the stock it was so high

Second, stock was not comfortable against my cheek even with irons...need to figure out something there

Third, I started having trigger reset issues during the second half of my session. If I kinda slapped the trigger I never had a problem. However I release to reset on almost all my guns and don't take my finger off the trigger til I'm done firing. Dou this, it would almost reset but then hang up. If I just bumped it lightly with my finger it would reset but if I eased it like I'm want to do, it would stick

This is my first ak and even the first time I've fired an ak. I can see the interest now, but I could use some help resolving these issues so my next range trip is more enjoyable

Thanks!
View Quote

Sounds like an N-PAP M70 Yugo.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

PSAK GF3.

OP's other thread.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

PSAK GF3.

OP's other thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSAK GF3.

OP's other thread.

Correct.

I thought it made more sense to start a new one
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#5]
every single one of my AKs has wood furniture , i did not have a US made AK so i picked one up , had poly furniture , took it back to my range and it felt horrible , worst feelin AK ive ever sot including under folders and side folders  , i was disappointed

thought about it later in the evening and though maybe it was that stock , my shoulder socket was sore , i think i was 57 at the time , i never had an AK beat on me like that , it has carbine gas so so not as smooth as mid , or rifle , but even so i should not be beat up

i went to the gun room and started digging around to see what i had in the way of furniture and dug out a set labeled YUGO , installed the butt only , next day got home from work and took it back , it was not the same rifle , it was so night and day i fit the whole rifle with the set

maybe theres a difference between cheap poly furniture and military grade , i do not know , but im not a fan
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
every single one of my AKs has wood furniture , i did not have a US made AK so i picked one up , had poly furniture , took it back to my range and it felt horrible , worst feelin AK ive ever sot including under folders and side folders  , i was disappointed

thought about it later in the evening and though maybe it was that stock , my shoulder socket was sore , i think i was 57 at the time , i never had an AK beat on me like that , it has carbine gas so so not as smooth as mid , or rifle , but even so i should not be beat up

i went to the gun room and started digging around to see what i had in the way of furniture and dug out a set labeled YUGO , installed the butt only , next day got home from work and took it back , it was not the same rifle , it was so night and day i fit the whole rifle with the set

maybe theres a difference between cheap poly furniture and military grade , i do not know , but im not a fan
View Quote

How did you put a Yugo stock on an AKM pattern rifle?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#7]
As far as your trigger group goes, I have never looked at the PSA FCG so I can't comment on issues it might have, but it sounds like your reset hangup is from the disconnector catching on the hammer and not releasing it when you take your finger off of the trigger. The disconnector hook may have a small burr on it or an overly sharp leading edge. Chances are this problem will probably work itself out over time as you shoot the rifle, as the FCG surfaces do wear in to one another a small amount over time, but it may take a few hundred rounds or so.  Back in the days of the Tapco G2 FCG it was common to have to tune the disconnector a little bit depending on the type of rifle it was installed in, but I can't say if the same issues exist with the PSA FCG. My advice would be to just continue shooting the rifle for a while and see if the problem goes away on its own. If not, there are some guides out there on how to check disconnector function and even how to clean up an AK FCG to smooth out the engagement of these surfaces. You could even put on a movie and just dry fire and cycle the BCG over and over again, it may be enough to take care of whatever is going on.

OP I would make two suggestions

1) if you can eliminate the riser mount from the RDS I would do that, so that the RDS can sit as close as possible to the rail. I would also suggest mounting the dot closer to the rear sight block so that it's much easier to get a sight picture regardless of the position of your eyes

2) a lot of people that begin shooting AKs, especially coming from other platforms like the AR, carry over some habits with their shooting stance that really don't work all that well for the AK - especially with the Warsaw length buttstock. IMO the best way to shoulder and fire an AK with a Warsaw stock is to push your right shoulder forward a bit, and really pull the rifle in close. Your nose should almost be touching the rear of the receiver/dust cover. That way your cheek sort of falls into the little dip in the top of the stock just after the receiver.

For a more visual idea of what is in my opinion the best location and height for an RDS on an AK - some others like theirs even more far forward, using an Attero mount or an Ultimak, etc.

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

And this is why I recommended the Attero mount in your other thread. I absolutely hate having an optic sticking up a foot in the air over bore, and it makes for terrible shooting.

This is way mo bettah:

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#10]
ive been a carpenter for 40 years , theres not much i cant do with wood  , the butt wasnt challenging at all , the handguards took the lion share of work but even then not difficult at all" />
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top