Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2018 11:54:43 AM EDT
I swapped out an RS Regulate side rail on which I had a red dot mounted for an Arsenal PA-01 quad rail with the same red dot - solely so I could use my left-side folding stock on my SLR-107CR (not yet SBR’d).

I want the ability to use my side folding stock for better conceilability in a truck gun role.

So what do y’all prefer for an AK optic mount? Quad or side rail?  Or pick one and go with it?

Just curious, is a side folder (or under) important to you on an AK?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Side mount is best mount. But in your case, I'd probably have gone Ultimak.

Anxious to hear about the zero holding abilities and what not though. As well as heat soak.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Side mount is best mount. But in your case, I'd probably have gone Ultimak.

Anxious to hear about the zero holding abilities and what not though. As well as heat soak.
View Quote
The rail is gonna get hot. Some YouTube vids have confirmed this. I’m thinking about using some of those Larue index clips on the rail to help with the heat.

The rail mounted pretty solidly so I’ll be surprised if it won’t hold zero. If it doesn’t I’ll update this post.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#3]
if i had a side folder i'd use an attero arms mount if using with a red dot.

Attero Arms
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Attero Arms
View Quote
That was the other option I was blanking on the name of...I might try one out whenever I get around to picking up one of the WBP pistols...
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Neither, Zenitco railed top cover. Alpha setup.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I went back and forth with an Aimpoint T1 on the Ultimak and on the RS Regulate, but with a side folder I prefer the Ultimak.  Yes it gets hot up front, but if you have a quality optic on the Ultimak you shouldn't have any trouble.  I've ran thousands of rounds and run classes, mag dumps, etc, and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#8]
side rail gets my vote, but I barely ever use folders even when they are euipped. I like that side rails are light weight, and the weight that is there is closer to the shouder. Plus no heat and return to zero isnt a concern. but thats personal preference. Either works fine with quality components
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I like the Zenitco set up, but if I'm paying $600+ for rails I'd rather just have another rifle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#10]
On my SLR-106FR, I have a top rail that replaced the top cover. My SLR-106U has an Ultimak gas tube. I have Form 1 filed on that, and would rather have the stock fold on either rifle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I have 4 ultimaks on my ak's, I think thats the best solution..And I've never fried an optic. Aimpoint and primary arms advanced micro.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 1:27:04 AM EDT
[#12]
My C39v2 has a side rail with RS Regulate mounted Primary Arms 3x 7.62x39 prism optic. This is an outstanding value. But as i like to have all my bases covered, i also have an Ultimak rail upfront. Currently, i only have a Solarforce  (surefire p1 type) flashlight on an ADM qd mount.
Eventually I will get a micro for up there. But as of right now, i am in a deep love affair with my rifle as it sits.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This is my favorite option these days

Quoted:

Attero Arms
And I do have a lot of respect for the Attero. I really don't know why I didn't pick one up when they came out, but a couple years ago I did and love the sh*t out of it
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is my favorite option these days
http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/SVD/Optics/1P87_PVS14_AK105_Sandman-K_AK74M_762SDN6_Left.jpg

And I do have a lot of respect for the Attero. I really don't know why I didn't pick one up when they came out, but a couple years ago I did and love the sh*t out of it
http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/svd/optics/74UF_PBS-1_Left03.JPG
View Quote
How can we start the legal process for you to adopt me and pass on you're 105 to me, after you pass?
I promise I'll be the best adopted son possible! lol love those pictures!

AT OP, go with the RS Regulate, you can't go wrong buy once, cry once, the Zenitco is a great route to go with but pricey, there is also the TWS System which is 1/2 the cost for a railed dustcover as well, as a cheaper alternative, but as TX-Zen said Zenitco is a great setup there is a reason the Alpha guys in Russia use it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the Ultimak setup on my rifle. Like others have posted, I have sent several thousands of rounds through my rifle and haven’t damaged the optic whatsoever. It’s a great option for mounting a red dot and getting fast target acquisition, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm with you on this since I have a 106CR I've SBR'd and would love to utilize the folding stock for storage and travel. I've currently got a RS Regulate 301M with a PA Advanced Micro Dot that I just slide on and off as needed. I tried the Ultimak for a while, it works but I had heat issues. Not heat issues with the optic, but that it gets pretty hot on a nice summer day, so make sure to wear gloves or keep your digits away from it when it heata up. Kinda didn't care for the way it upset the balance of the rifle, either.

I'd love to just Zenitco the damn thing, but be prepared to open up your wallet if you want the full setup. (Which you'll need to buy the bottom rail HG since the topcover utilizes it as an attachment point.)

Another option is the TWS rail cover, which I honestly may try out myself since Zenitco is a little pricey.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top