Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/14/2023 4:23:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OG1]
Used the flat surface method to align the trunnion and populated everything from there. Sighted the front sight with a laser bore sight after zeroing the post. Got it head-spaced and all aligned. Will do the drilling/reaming soon. Waiting on the receiver to be built from Recreator Blanks. I will update the OP as I progress and get better pics as well.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Got a little done last night. Removed the receiver from the oil bath and wiped down, Installed the trigger guard and rear trunnion then had to see how the progress was looking.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It is finished. It shoots really well.

Attachment Attached File

When drilling out the gas port....all hell broke loose. This was a bear to get out:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Go on, we'll wait.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ban-hater:
Go on, we'll wait.
View Quote
Thanks lol. Recreator Blanks just emailed me asking for my partners updated FFL info so it should not be long.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 1:38:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imdBman] [#3]
Originally Posted By OG1:
Used the flat surface method to align the trunnion and populated everything from there. Sighted the front sight with a laser bore sight after zeroing the post. Got it head-spaced and all aligned. Will do the drilling/reaming soon. Waiting on the receiver to be built from Recreator Blanks. I will update as I progress and get better pics as well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/289319/6OgkBv3_jpeg-2919610.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/289319/PXL_20230813_142628946_jpg-2919611.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/289319/PXL_20230813_210854538_png-2919612.JPG
View Quote

That will be a great build!  I have a 1963 MD63 kit I bought in the late 90s for spare parts.  Well now I am so glad I have it so I can build a real worn in AKM.  It is mostly matching numbers 3433 except the hammer, rate reducer and the selector which are all 2688.  I had to source the trigger guard/ mag catch, rear trunnion, selector stop and the lower handguard.  I dont remember if the kit came with them or I lost them.  The lower handguard that came with the kit was a trashed dong that I gave to a friend 10 years ago. I will not refinish the parts.  Mine will be on a Childers 3 weld spot receiver that will be finish matched, (worn), to the parts I have.  I am really looking forward to this build.   NGS is local to me and he will build it.

ETA: I had to source the cleaning rod also from Desert Fox Outfitters, same place I got the lower handguard from, (sorry, it's Polish).  Trigger Guard/ mag catch were from Desert Fox Sales.  Rear trunnion was from Carolina Shooter Supply.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By imdBman:

That will be a great build!  I have a 1963 MD63 kit I bought in the late 90s for spare parts.  Well now I am so glad I have it so I can build a real worn in AKM.  It is mostly matching numbers 3433 except the hammer, rate reducer and the selector which are all 2688.  I had to source the trigger guard/ mag catch, rear trunnion, selector stop and the lower handguard.  I dont remember if the kit came with them or I lost them.  The lower handguard that came with the kit was a trashed dong that I gave to a friend 10 years ago. I will not refinish the parts.  Mine will be on a Childers 3 weld spot receiver that will be finish matched, (worn), to the parts I have.  I am really looking forward to this build.   NGS is local to me and he will build it.
https://i.imgur.com/ECIuFlH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/hFkNkF9.jpg
View Quote
Heck yeah man! My Recreator Blanks receiver came in. I cold blued it then rubbed it down some to try and match and soaked in oil where it is now in the original bag. I hope to get some more done this week on the project. It has been hot as balls in my shop so I just installed a small ac in the window and can tolerate being out there more now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 11:43:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Heck yeah man! My Recreator Blanks receiver came in. I cold blued it then rubbed it down some to try and match and soaked in oil where it is now in the original bag. I hope to get some more done this week on the project. It has been hot as balls in my shop so I just installed a small ac in the window and can tolerate being out there more now.
View Quote

Can't wait to see it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Got a little done last night. Removed the receiver from the oil bath and wiped down, Installed the trigger guard and rear trunnion then had to see how the progress was looking.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 8:10:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#7]
Looks good.

But why have the markings without the hole.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Mach:
Looks good.

View Quote
As close as one can get before the glory hole peeper shows up.

Link Posted: 8/24/2023 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#9]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/289319/PXL_20230823_003727444_jpg-2929219.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/289319/PXL_20230823_011947983_jpg-2929220.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/289319/PXL_20230823_015404624_PORTRAIT_jpg-2929221.JPG
View Quote

That looks great.  Did the Recreator receiver come with a finish?  How did you get that wear look on your receiver?
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Mach:
Looks good.

View Quote

Do you even clone? 😁I am doing the same with mine.  It will appear to be a real MD63 except no FA parts in it.  Why build an original 1963 part kit with original barrel and put it on a WASR type receiver?
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#11]

That looks great.  Did the Recreator receiver come with a finish?  How did you get that wear look on your receiver?
View Quote
Thanks! No sir, it was bare metal. I used Birchwood Casey cold blue and an acid brush and was patient and applied, rinsed in water and repeated. It was actually really black when done, it almost pained me to start rubbing it down with a worn greenie pad but I was trying to match the original finish on the other parts. I will do the same with the barrel. The Rivets, I just held in my hand and used a dremel with a greenie brush to make silver. I soaked it all overnight in oil after washing really well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:44:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OG1] [#12]
It is finished. It shoots really well.

Attachment Attached File

When drilling out the gas port....all hell broke loose. This was a bear to get out:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad I waited, very nice OP
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#14]

That looks great!  Mine may be done by October.  Seeing yours is more motivation!
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ban-hater:
Glad I waited, very nice OP
View Quote
Thank you sir.

That looks great!  Mine may be done by October.  Seeing yours is more motivation!
View Quote
Thanks! Good deal man! Please share when you do.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you sir.
Thanks! Good deal man! Please share when you do.
View Quote

I ordered my Childers receiver Sep 29th. It arrived at NGS Dec 22.  He said 6-8 weeks for assembly.  So Feb or March.  Just keeping this thread alive.  I will post more parts pics if you want them here.  I actually have 3 different numbers in my parts.  Main parts match.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#17]

I ordered my Childers receiver Sep 29th. It arrived at NGS Dec 22.  He said 6-8 weeks for assembly.  So Feb or March.  Just keeping this thread alive.  I will post more parts pics if you want them here.  I actually have 3 different numbers in my parts.  Main parts match.
View Quote
I would LOVE to see them! I miss building one and want another lol.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#18]
So, my matching parts kit, almost.  A few parts do not match. Trigger, recoil spring and top cover all match my AB3433 front trunnion, bolt and carrier.  The upper handguard came with the gastube in the kit.

I bought the rear Trunnion out of the AK Forum recently.  Super happy to find it for $24. My kit did not come with the rear trunnion or the selector stop/mag catch.

Link Posted: 2/16/2024 1:55:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Finally! Here it is. Picked up from NGS this week.  Built on a Childers matching SN receiver.  Receiver worn in to match the kit. My favorite AK!

Link Posted: 2/16/2024 4:08:54 AM EDT
[#20]
It's beautiful
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 6:20:27 AM EDT
[#21]
It's beautiful
View Quote

Yep, that is a great looking AK.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I found a hardwood lower handguard.  Its EG but I like it better than the laminate.  I have seen a few pics in the wild with EG replaced HGs.  Unfortunately the barrel was pretty shot out . Groups went from 2" at 25m to 8" as it heated up.  I have a new Romy barrel bought around the same time as the parts kit, 99-2000 for around $100.  Its being replaced now, iwill wear the finish to match the rest of the parts. I shoot my guns.  If it was a wall hanger, I would leave the old barrel.

I will post pics of the old/new barrel after they load.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I found a hardwood lower handguard.  Its EG but I like it better than the laminate.  I have seen a few pics in the wild with EG replaced HGs.  Unfortunately the barrel was pretty shot out . Groups went from 2" at 25m to 8" as it heated up.  I have a new Romy barrel bought around the same time as the parts kit, 99-2000 for around $100.  Its being replaced now, iwill wear the finish to match the rest of the parts. I shoot my guns.  If it was a wall hanger, I would leave the old barrel.
https://i.imgur.com/ik4ROTM.jpg

I will post pics of the old/new barrel after they load.
View Quote

Unfortunate on the original barrel, but that's damn good looking rifle.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:41:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Nice, Im getting ready to build on of these.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:57:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Tango:
Nice, Im getting ready to build on of these.
View Quote

I don't believe you without pictures
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top