Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2018 1:16:07 AM EDT
I have been told that there are now conversion parts available to retrofit sks rifle to take AK mags.
I this true? Links would be cool.
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:02:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Leave it alone and or get a "D" or "M" model configured that way already.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:03:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Isn't the receiver on the AK mag version SKSs thinner than a standard SKS to accommodate the mag?
Pretty sure the bolt would have to be modded as well, I know mine won't lock/unlock mags with the bolt closed in stock config.

I like my AKs and I like my SKS but just never had any desire to convert mine. Mine came with Tapcos instead of the fixed box magazine and I found leaving the Tapco mag on and loading with strippers is still the easiest method.

I noticed Fab Defense has a new 'tacticool' stock for the SKS. One feature I actually liked was the mag release operated like an AK release so mag changes with Tapcos could be done one handed.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking an SKS with a Matador Arms chassis would be a cool little toy. Don't get me wrong. I have an AR and AK for the party, just thought this would be a fun waste of money.
I have a new condition Chinese SKS that I really enjoy shooting. I don't want to hack that up. With the Wanamaker gun show being this weekend, I was thinking of picking up a project gun.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#4]
There are instructions for converting fixed mag SKS to use AK mags. It is quite involved.

There are also mods that cut the duckbill off tapco or promags making them a lot like an AK mag. You install an adapter into the SKS then you can run modified mags like they were AK mags. You still need to grind down the bottom bolt rails to insert or release a mag from a closed bolt.

Duckbill less mag or 7.62 AR mag adapters
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:28:24 AM EDT
[#5]
My "M" bought when they were still cheap. 1990's. Heavily modified ATI stock. They never made them for "M" or "D" guns. I haven't shot it a lot lately. It is a fun gun to shoot though. But I like my AK 74 better.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Also, Fab Defense has a stock that came out recently that has an AK style takedown lever that uses unmodified Tapco mags with the duckbill.

From watching their video showing it in operation one might think they were running std. AK mags.

I think SKSmagAdaptor LLC still has adaptors for duckbill-less Tapco SKS mags and another for AR 7.62x39 mags. I think the AR mag adaptor was $225 or so.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top