Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2017 5:38:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cudofcow]
I bought a Romanian bakelite grip.  Just got it in the mail and it looks like total shit.  The entire thing is hairy and smelly. Looks like its covered in mold but on further inspection, it looks like the red fibers of the bakelite are just deteriorating.  Is there a way to restore it or did i gamble and lose? can it be sanded down? microwaved? dipped in plastidip? is this thing just a piece of trash that they sold me for 5 bucks?

Also, why are my pictures not embedding? they are just links...
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Rub it down with Ballistol and #0000 steel wool. First try the Ballistol on a cloth and see if that alone works. You may as well keep some Ballistol around for the AK because its the best thing to use on it including polymer and wood.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 10:39:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1saxman:
Rub it down with Ballistol and #0000 steel wool. First try the Ballistol on a cloth and see if that alone works. You may as well keep some Ballistol around for the AK because its the best thing to use on it including polymer and wood.
View Quote
If you follow his links and look at the pictures of the grip he has there is no way it will polish out. That thing is mangled. Almost think he was trolling.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks like a dog chewed on it or something.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you ever get a good grip?
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 12:41:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmmmm....I wonder what a light sanding with some fine sand paper and a clear satin polyurethane finish would do to improve the look, as well as seal the fibers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 12:07:35 AM EDT
[#7]
That looks like heavy abrasions, like the other poster mentioned I’d seal it with a satin varnish. You might try burning off the stray fibers with a lighter before the varnish.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow - that's pretty rough. Like they say, looks like a dog toy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 12:37:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought two Romanian Bakelite grips and I will choose the right from a cosmetic standpoint. So I can use a coating or it is good the leave the grip as it is?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#10]
You can apply a Poly type finish, but it will wear off pretty quick.  Some use Ballistol.  Most will molt over time, and appear "moldy."   There is nothing wrong with that.    It's the natural patina.    It is AK 47s..... not beauty pagent champions.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Do people choose or use Bakelite grips/mags for original authenticity or is it really tough or something?

It just seems like old ugly ass primitive plastic that would be better to replace with modern superiority
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 7:16:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 55sixer:
Do people choose or use Bakelite grips/mags for original authenticity or is it really tough or something?

It just seems like old ugly ass primitive plastic that would be better to replace with modern superiority
View Quote

I would say that they choose them because the real ones came with them.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Holy hell these threads are old

there is/was a way to bring old worn Bakelite back from the dead.

Sand through the numbers

Then apply Norrells clear gloss moly resin, and bake per directions.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top