BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/29/2020 8:39:38 AM EDT
I'm looking for a good 75rd drum mag. Who is the go-to maker of these? I saw some that state Romanian but then say manufactured br entry? Are these any good? Where to get an actual Romanian, if they are desirable? I want one with the win-up feature so that it can be loaded and forgotten about. Plus, it looks really cool with the back plate open and the rounds showing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want the open back wind up style then get Romanian or Chinese. The cheaper Korean made ones have durability and reliability issues.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#2]
They will be marked made in Romania and imported by Century.  Mine work flawlessly, way better than the Korean made ones with the plastic rear cover.

Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Romi or Century made?
How about this one? I know it says Century manufactured, but sometimes that gets messed up in the description.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Romi or Century made?
How about this one? I know it says Century manufactured, but sometimes that gets messed up in the description.
View Quote
Primary Arms has them in stock  right now for $109.  $20 cheaper than the ones you posted.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#5]
they are neat looking but living in NJ i think i just committed a felony by wishing/looking at it
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Primary Arms has them in stock  right now for $109.  $20 cheaper than the ones you posted.
View Quote

That's exactly where I am right now. Earlier I was watching a how to load youtube and noticed the dude talking about a leaf-spring tensioner near the feed-lips. I can't remember if it was for the Romi or not. Does yours have it?And thanks so much for the info you're giving me. I think I'm gonna order one from Primary.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
they are neat looking but living in NJ i think i just committed a felony by wishing/looking at it
View Quote

Lol, I feel for you bro.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#8]
OK, I just ordered one from PA. Hopefully I don't regret it.
ETA: dang! I got the last one.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
 Yep sold out now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
 Yep sold out now.
View Quote

Whew!
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's exactly where I am right now. Earlier I was watching a how to load youtube and noticed the dude talking about a leaf-spring tensioner near the feed-lips. I can't remember if it was for the Romi or not. Does yours have it?And thanks so much for the info you're giving me. I think I'm gonna order one from Primary.
View Quote
There is a trick to loading them properly, explained in the Youtube vids.  I think all the chinese style drums have the spring tensioner near the feed lips.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is a trick to loading them properly, explained in the Youtube vids.  I think all the chiese style drums have the spring tensioner near the feed lips.
View Quote

So is the trick with the ones without it to just have a little tension on the spring so the rounds near the feed-lips don't fall out?
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So is the trick with the ones without it to just have a little tension on the spring so the rounds near the feed-lips don't fall out?
View Quote
This guy does a real good job explaining how to load them.

How the load a 75round Ak47 drum the RIGHT way

Link Posted: 10/29/2020 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This guy does a real good job explaining how to load them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ioQ499lFoE
View Quote

Yup.  This is the one that I watched last night. That's where I saw the little tension spring near the lips.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This discussion reminded me to look at PA, and it was in stock, then sold out a few minutes later. Seems like they've had them in stock for months, although I haven't paid close attention. Glad you got the last one - I've been mulling it over but wasn't ready to order yet because of lots of competing expenses this month. I signed up for the back in stock notification, but I'm not sure if these are something that still gets imported on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This discussion reminded me to look at PA, and it was in stock, then sold out a few minutes later. Seems like they've had them in stock for months, although I haven't paid close attention. Glad you got the last one - I've been mulling it over but wasn't ready to order yet because of lots of competing expenses this month. I signed up for the back in stock notification, but I'm not sure if these are something that still gets imported on a regular basis.
View Quote

That's what got me wanting to get one too. But if Century makes them, that would mean U.S. made, right? I'm still trying to figure that out.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 12:27:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's what got me wanting to get one too. But if Century makes them, that would mean U.S. made, right? I'm still trying to figure that out.
View Quote
Century is just the importer, they're made in Romania. Century has a contract with the actual manufacturer so they are the sole supplier now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Century is just the importer, they're made in Romania. Century has a contract with the actual manufacturer so they are the sole supplier now.
View Quote

Ah, that is awesome, makes me even happier about my purchase!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ah, that is awesome, makes me even happier about my purchase!!
View Quote

I ordered the same one from primary in Feb because of a possible WA state mag ban. Glad I did even though I don’t plan on using it anytime soon. Have a rag ready when you unbox it. It's coated in oil.

Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I ordered the same one from primary in Feb because of a possible WA state mag ban. Glad I did even though I don’t plan on using it anytime soon. Have a rag ready when you unbox it. It's coated in oil.

View Quote

Yup, I saw the unboxing videos. I'm gonna soak it in turpentine when it comes in.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 9:01:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Grabagun has them for 20 more bucks and has a "shoot now pay leter " program if you really want one right now.
I would try and get one before the election.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Are the Romy drums an exact copy of the Chinese ones? I'm partial to my Molot 75 RPK drum, but I'm curious how/why the Romanians copied the Chinese design instead of the Soviet standard...
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Are the Romy drums an exact copy of the Chinese ones? I'm partial to my Molot 75 RPK drum, but I'm curious how/why the Romanians copied the Chinese design instead of the Soviet standard...
View Quote

Aren't the russian onwes top-loading only?
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I will say this: I ordered my drum yesterday morning and it got to my house this morning. Dang, they shipped it fast! I mean, even though it only shipped from 3 hours way, that's still pretty damn fast.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok, I checked the russian drums and they are top-loading and they sell for around 240 bucks!
I don't think I like the way that they slant forward when inserted in the weapon.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ok, I checked the russian drums and they are top-loading and they sell for around 240 bucks!
I don't think I like the way that they slant forward when inserted in the weapon.
View Quote
They're also a pain in the ass to load compared to the Chinese design.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:03:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I've seen Romanian drums sold in Red Army Standard packaging. Are those the same drums that Century imports? I didn't realize they were the sole importer and thought at the time that maybe someone else was bringing them in.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've seen Romanian drums sold in Red Army Standard packaging. Are those the same drums that Century imports? I didn't realize they were the sole importer and thought at the time that maybe someone else was bringing them in.
View Quote
Those are the ones from Century.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Those are the ones from Century.
View Quote

Thanks! It’s been 5 or 6 years since I’ve ordered from Jestice Arms, but I always had good service from them in the past. They have the Romanian drum showing as in stock for $114.95:

Romanian AK-47 75rd Flip Drum Magazine - Red Army Standard

With $6.95 shipping and no sales tax, that’s a comparable price to PA.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They're also a pain in the ass to load compared to the Chinese design.
View Quote

Yup. My main reason for not getting one. Plus, I kinda have mixed feelings about that forward cant when inserted in the gun.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thanks! It’s been 5 or 6 years since I’ve ordered from Jestice Arms, but I always had good service from them in the past. They have the Romanian drum showing as in stock for $114.95:

With $6.95 shipping and no sales tax, that’s a comparable price to PA.
View Quote

That's a great price. I paid about 126 after taxes and shipping.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thanks! It's been 5 or 6 years since I've ordered from Jestice Arms, but I always had good service from them in the past. They have the Romanian drum showing as in stock for $114.95:

With $6.95 shipping and no sales tax, that's a comparable price to PA.
View Quote
Better pick one up.  May be $200 after Tuesday.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Is there much difference in the Chinese vs the Romanian drums? I have two Chinese drums. One I have used and the other still in the grease and plastic.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:42:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Is there much difference in the Chinese vs the Romanian drums? I have two Chinese drums. One I have used and the other still in the grease and plastic.
View Quote
They're the same as far as I know.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That's a great price. I paid about 126 after taxes and shipping.
View Quote

Jestice Arms is a small family business, as I understand it, and they have some good prices. Only problem is that a lot of their product listings seem to be out of stock (sometimes for years, like they leave old discontinued items on the site). When they’ve had items I wanted in stock, they usually have good prices and quick service.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Jestice Arms is a small family business, as I understand it, and they have some good prices. Only problem is that a lot of their product listings seem to be out of stock (sometimes for years, like they leave old discontinued items on the site). When they’ve had items I wanted in stock, they usually have good prices and quick service.
View Quote

Sounds good. i hope you bought the drum!
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

there is a very good reason why they slant forward, and that is to give  it more ground clearance for the RPK, when  it's fired in the prone position and  when the RPK gunner runs from one position to another the drum is higher up to the gun so when he falls to  the ground at the new  position the drum doesn't hit the ground when he does that .

the 75 round drum was made exclusively  for the the RPK, so the squad while it's maneuvering the RPK gunner has more more rounds  to sustain a constant volume of fire then what a 30 round mag can.  so he is able to keep the enemy heads  down for longer  without having to let up fire and changing a a magazine every 30 rounds

personally, I like the top loading russian  drum far more then the chinese type. yeah, it's a PIA to load, but the construction of them is like a T-34 tank, they are practically indestructible, and not as flimsy as the chinese type.  with far thicker steel and with "stepped ridges" and a robust steel spring
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is there much difference in the Chinese vs the Romanian drums?
View Quote

they're the same drum.......my hunch is that these "Romanian drums" are in fact made in China, the Romanians just put a sticker on them that says MADE IN ROMANIA.  they caught the Bulgarians doing that back 10+ years ago, they just haven't caught the Romanians doing that, or care if they do
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yup. My main reason for not getting one. Plus, I kinda have mixed feelings about that forward cant when inserted in the gun.
View Quote

That is what makes them superior IMHO. The ergonomics and balance are better and they have a smaller footprint. Have owned and used both and sold off the Chinese drum. The top load is a non-issue for me. In a shtf situation the drum is a drop it when empty and go to 30s deal.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:36:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

there is a very good reason why they slant forward, and that is to give  it more ground clearance for the RPK, when  it's fired in the prone position and  when the RPK gunner runs from one position to another the drum is higher up to the gun so when he falls to  the ground at the new  position the drum doesn't hit the ground when he does that .

the 75 round drum was made exclusively  for the the RPK, so the squad while it's maneuvering the RPK gunner has more more rounds  to sustain a constant volume of fire then what a 30 round mag can.  so he is able to keep the enemy heads  down for longer  without having to let up fire and changing a a magazine every 30 rounds

personally, I like the top loading russian  drum far more then the chinese type. yeah, it's a PIA to load, but the construction of them is like a T-34 tank, they are practically indestructible, and not as flimsy as the chinese type.  with far thicker steel and with "stepped ridges" and a robust steel spring
View Quote

I'msure it is a robust design and after looking at some pics I'm sort of getting used to it. The price though! I wouldn't mind having one just for hisotrical reasons and cool factor.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:40:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That is what makes them superior IMHO. The ergonomics and balance are better and they have a smaller footprint. Have owned and used both and sold off the Chinese drum. The top load is a non-issue for me. In a shtf situation the drum is a drop it when empty and go to 30s deal.
View Quote

I ain't gonna drop no 120-220 dollar drum in the heat of battle!
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 1:15:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'msure it is a robust design and after looking at some pics I'm sort of getting used to it. The price though! I wouldn't mind having one just for hisotrical reasons and cool factor.
View Quote

well, I bought mine more then 20 years back, then  when everyone was going all GOO-GOO-GAA-GAA for the various manufactured chinese drums, those Russian drums weren't very popular  dealers dropped the prices to less then 90 bucks........it's all about the timing

it looks good in my MAADI

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 2:23:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

well, I bought mine more then 20 years back, then  when everyone was going all GOO-GOO-GAA-GAA for the various manufactured chinese drums, those Russian drums weren't very popular  dealers dropped the prices to less then 90 bucks........it's all about the timing

it looks good in my MAADI

https://i.imgur.com/uit5lKA.jpg
View Quote

That reminds me that I need to get a bag for mine! I was lookin them up yesterday and kinda want the chinese one. Or maybe the viet one.
ETA: That's a very nice set-up there.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That reminds me that I need to get a bag for mine! I was lookin them up yesterday and kinda want the chinese one. Or maybe the viet one.
ETA: That's a very nice set-up there.
View Quote

those shouldn't be hard to find, just search for Chinese  PPSH 41 drum pouch if your search doesn't turn up for Chinese AK drum pouch, that is what they used for the AK drum. VN version would be the same as the Chinese.   they are cheap, even in todays panic market, somewhere in the 10-15 dollar range

thanks for the compliment on my MAADI
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#45]
What is the difference between "MAAK78" and "MAAK78A" drums?
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#46]
What is the purpose of the canvas bag around the drum?  Is its purpose for carrying or storage and just remains in place when loaded onto the weapon?

Also, I watched the instructional video, which is very good.  Does one need to crank the key a few more turns as one fires the ammo?
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What is the purpose of the canvas bag around the drum?  Is its purpose for carrying or storage and just remains in place when loaded onto the weapon?

Also, I watched the instructional video, which is very good.  Does one need to crank the key a few more turns as one fires the ammo?
View Quote
On the China design ones, you wind it up 4 total turns and you're done.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#48]
The canvas bag is how the drum is carried. There is a strap on the back that attaches it to your belt. It is not designed for the drum to be quickly removed, as it is as much a protective cover as it is a carry pouch
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

the canvas cover serves 2 purposes

1) to allows  the drum to be attached to the the soldier's field belt by way of a quick release loop on the back of the canvas cover

2) there is a  flap that goes over the feed tower to keep dirt and debris out of the drum that "flips" forward so the drum can be inserted in the mag well
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

the canvas cover serves 2 purposes

1) to allows  the drum to be attached to the the soldier's field belt by way of a quick release loop on the back of the canvas cover

2) there is a  flap that goes over the feed tower to keep dirt and debris out of the drum that "flips" forward so the drum can be inserted in the mag well
View Quote

That's pretty cool. Never even thought about using it while in the weapon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top